What's new

Shang Tsung General Discussion

LEGEND

YES!
here are a few examples of the Darrius mixups. I should have recorded another interaction where the overhead hits first but the F3 -> GS still connects.

Still trying to figure out the best ender to a punish to go for these. F32 or just D2 both seem to work fine.

xBlaze_13

Y NO CHAMELEON!?
here are a few examples of the Darrius mixups. I should have recorded another interaction where the overhead hits first but the F3 -> GS still connects.

Still trying to figure out the best ender to a punish to go for these. F32 or just D2 both seem to work fine.
This is some cool stuff. I'll give this a shot. Before the darrius buff I've been trying to find a reliable way to combo into his forward assist, but I don't think that's really needed anymore.

xBlaze_13

Y NO CHAMELEON!?
Ok so I just now learned this, not sure if this is common Shang knowledge or not.

If you are doing a Shang mirror, the standard no meter morph gives you the damage buff.

I was labbing stuff today and thought they buffed Shang so that his no meter morph gives the extra damage, but realized that it's only in the mirror match

I genuinely think he should still get the damage buff in general without using meter. There really is not much incentive to morph without it, in my opinion. He is just left in way too much of a vulnerable state when he morphs back. A visual warning that you are about to morph back would be really helpful I think. Would help not drop combos while morphed due to morphing back.

LEGEND

YES!
Ok so I just now learned this, not sure if this is common Shang knowledge or not.

If you are doing a Shang mirror, the standard no meter morph gives you the damage buff.

I was labbing stuff today and thought they buffed Shang so that his no meter morph gives the extra damage, but realized that it's only in the mirror match

I genuinely think he should still get the damage buff in general without using meter. There really is not much incentive to morph without it, in my opinion. He is just left in way too much of a vulnerable state when he morphs back. A visual warning that you are about to morph back would be really helpful I think. Would help not drop combos while morphed due to morphing back.
I played a Shang mirror the other day and the guy kept doing the meterless morph, i thought he was just trolling lol

This is some cool stuff. I'll give this a shot. Before the darrius buff I've been trying to find a reliable way to combo into his forward assist, but I don't think that's really needed anymore.
If feels bad at first not having options that are immediately available to help with neutral and zoning, but i'm starting to think its the only way Shang is viable at a high level.

I'm kinda typing up notes and strategy here n there. Trying to decide if i'll make a long post here or just make a video when i have the time.

But in short, I usually go with a poke into Young DF2, or just EX DF2 + NK for the easy plus frames/chip or launching combo, just to get some early value out of Darrius. Then later hits can set up the DK 50/50s. It just feels so bad sitting on a full bar. Add to that the fact that Shang is really hard to open up when you can just walk back and poke with D3/D4, so he has no problem recharging the Kameo bar.

Last edited:

SixPathsOfHate

Make triple skulls input BDF or DF Hold F
Ok, while this isnt a Shang only issue, I got fed up with dropping my combos on Kitana and Scorpion and thought something felt off. Turns out I was right. Now scorpion aside, this only affects PC as far as I can tell but the update position feature on PS5 doesnt save when you go to the character select screen unlike PC.

Shang is set to record. You can look at his front foot to see that both start and end at the same place but the reaction is different.
If I low blocked with Kitana after blocking the fireballs, I would completely dodge the nade but when Mileena does it she still has to block it.

The scorpion one just doesnt work
[The file was too big for streamable]

LEGEND

YES!

Just a couple of interactions that I don't think I've posted yet. First is the combo if Darrius hits first. Second is a gimmick for crushing counter poke attempts for pretty big damage. Just assume the D4 is blocked, and the opponent tried to take their turn back.

LEGEND

YES!
Hitting Multi Skull into fan lift seems insane. Much safer check than Old Shang ground skulls.

still digging for more useful tech than isn't just hit confirms and combos

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: ProbablyMinus
Posted this but I can't find the thread in here, just some 2month rust I'm trying to get off my game. Tips? I've noticed it doesn't look like my older gameplays I think I'm doing bad habit stuff

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: ProbablyMinus
I was labbing with shujinko and a good footsie tool is to use back kameo and you can confirm into groundskull for full combo on hit when they are approaching on the ground seems really good his kick has extended range beyond the visibility hitbox also it hits mid and hits further than shangs d3 or d4