What's new

Shang Tsung Gameplay Trailer & Kombat Pack Revealed!

It's finally here! The DLC trailer showing off Shang Tsung and letting us know who is still to come. Check it out!

Shang Tsung will be available June 18th to Kombat Pack owners along with the Klassic Arcade Ninja skin pack which includes MK2-inspired skins for Sub-Zero, Scorpion, and Noob Saibot!

Kombat Pack line-up:
  • Shang Tsung
  • Nightwolf
  • Sindel
  • Spawn
  • ...and two more guests to be revealed soon
The Kombat Pack also includes more gear and skins for every character, with a total of 19 additional skins!

Thanks @Darth-Nero for the additional information.

Last edited:

Comments

A 'skin' in MK11 is …

… you know what? That's a good question. I think by 'skin' here they mean a particular change in attire and / or hairstyle. Young Johnny Cage is a skin. Old Johnny Cage is a skin. Ninja Mime Cage is a skin - no matter how many shaders they get.
Yeah if something is referred as a skin, it's like the Ninja Mime for Johnny.

The original pack description was 7 skins and 7 sets of gear. But now they just say 19 skins.

Ye I also bet 2 months for character this way MK11 will be supported for long time as they promised back then.

Ye I also bet 2 months for character this way MK11 will be supported for long time as they promised back then.
If they stick to this, we could look at a three-year lifespan with three kombat packs (which verifies the leaked text files).

Or they could pull a Fighterz and the second year will only be three characters, each appearing every three-four months. And that's it.

Sincerely hoping for the first option.

So stoked for all the klassic characters. I don’t mind Spawn as a guest character cause he fits the overall theme, but Ash and Terminator? no thanks

That would be super hype-killing because it would be another deceptive statement. I bet everyone expected more characters or new modes when they promised longer support and not dry months between DLC to prolong the game's cycle.

Delaying Kombat League is clearly a sign that they either behind schedule or encountered problems they didn't expect and needed time to fix (Towers of Time, Krypt rewards). 2 more guest could mean they haven't decided about them yet or simply we had a June, August, October, December schedule and we won't get more than four this year but keeping us in the dark about it will inevitably cause some backlash.

That would be super hype-killing because it would be another deceptive statement. I bet everyone expected more characters or new modes when they promised longer support and not dry months between DLC to prolong the game's cycle.

Delaying Kombat League is clearly a sign that they either behind schedule or encountered problems they didn't expect and needed time to fix (Towers of Time, Krypt rewards). 2 more guest could mean they haven't decided about them yet or simply we had a June, August, October, December schedule and we won't get more than four this year but keeping us in the dark about it will inevitably cause some backlash.
There's no way that KP2 will only have Joker as a guest character if it comes with six characters. No freakin' way.
And NRS will only be deceptive about their 'content' statement if KP2 will only be three characters (the same with I2 in total DLC).

We have statements that there is 'so much content we won't believe'. 9 DLC characters doesn't sound like it.
We have statements that it's going to be supported far longer than previous NRS titles.
We have datamined text files which speak of three Kombat Packs and 19 DLC characters (not counting Shao Kahn and Frost).
We have datamined text files which speak of story DLC (this is huge, if true).
We have datamined objects which insinuate that the Krypt will be expanded (the key with Havik's Chaos symbol).

So no, I don't think we're done with just the 9 DLC characters. I still hope, despite yesterday's humongous disappointment.

Last edited:
The facial capture is astonishing. The little smirk Shang gives at the end before he performs his Fatality is brilliant. It's about time Shang got his due in this franchise. Quan Chi was given Shang's place, in a sense. This might help restore his prestige.

People desperately pining for palette swapped ninjas: have you guys considered liking less dumb characters? :D
People desperately trying to be wannabe smart axxholes. Have you considered that we are the ones with good taste and you are not? That its your mind that stopped working cuz it only sees palette swaps? No? Maybe you give it a whirl.

He looks awesome, love his costume and gameplay, Cary did a great job voicing him, there's absolutely nothing about Shang Tsung here that I dislike! Love it all! ♥

I am kinda sad that this means Rain and Smoke/Enenra won't be DLC, but I already didn't think that would happen, was just kinda hopeful. All in all though, including them into Shang Tsung's gameplay like this was pretty clever. Glad they didn't go down the Triborg route him, as it's just singular moves.

As for the rest, I am alright with it so far, but it is not the characters I would've chosen for DLC. If the two unknown guest characters are some from the leak, I'm not gonna care for them at all. But Spawn as a guest I'm alright with. Shang Tsung looks really good, and I look forward to Sindel as well, but I don't care much for Nightwolf, however as said, I am alright with his inclusion.

That was incredible. Like holy fuck. Does anyone not get the implication of his FB? He has stolen the souls of Bi-han, the original Hanzo pre-resurrection, and Smoke/Enera. That is super cool. They aren't the sub and scorpion we have in the game. They are the originals.

Prior to this thread, when people shit talk TYM and say how whiny and unreasonable it is, I would disagree. But now that I have seen people bitch about about Mighty Morphing Shang Tsung Ninja Ranger as a slap in the face and other "disappointments"... Yeah they were right.

Some are complaining about the ninjas becoming actual special abilities, and suggesting it's another instance of NRS asset-flippy laziness.

However, I think it's really the only way they could have implemented his "morphs", without them either taking 15 minutes to load, or only being a clone of the opponent (which is literally just garbage mirror-matching). I hope he's at least got customisable abilities that incorporate other ninjas not show, or even Kintaro / Goro -- perhaps giving him the option of being a speedster or heavy-hitter.

You’ve been here since 2013... how are you not familiar with NRS’s release schedules??

One incentive for buying the full Kombat Pack is 1-week early access to DLC characters, before they go on sale individually.
Just because I'm familiar does not mean I have to like it or support it; like day 1 paywall for characters if you don't give them money before knowing what's in the game.

They want $40, which they have asked for since January and a month after release they still can't tell me the complete roster of 6 characters that cost 2/3 of what the full game retails for? What the fuck.

But, yeah, play a week early for no questions asked.

Shang Tsung looks awesome, btw. 2 skins and 18 added shaders called 'skins'.

I think it’s pretty obvious that they’re gonna do what they’ve done in the past with skin packs: each character is gonna come with 3 klassic skins. 6 characters x 3 klassics = 18 + ninja mime = 19.
I don't know about klassics, but I agree with the 3 skins with every character. Maybe we'll get klassics with the mk characters and some kind of theme with the guests. Like a horror skin pack with ash or a futuristic one with terminator. That's how it was in mkx.

Love the nod to the old school mk2 kintaro fatality!

Can't wait for nightwolf.

I really don't care much about guest characters.... give us more mk characters please!

Shang looks like he could be obscenely powerful depending on his frames and damage. Full screen parry that works against strikes and projectiles, Tele Slam that could be extremely good depending on the range, fast slide, two, maybe three launchers (Rainhouse Kick, Tele Slam, maybe the ground fireballs). He also appears to have a very fast mid kick and that one string that looks like OH, Low has great range.

Depending on how the ninja moves and KBs work he could be very strong. I'm seeing a lot of potential in his kit, which is really good. Initially I was glad to see he was in the game even though I didn't intend to play him, but after seeing him in action he looks like a very fun character