What's new

SF4 (Vanilla) Vs SSF4AE

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
AE is so cheap now or hell go nuts find the anniversary edition on Amazon, it looks like its worth the buy.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
ThaShiveGeek

Get AE 2012. It's the current version, and the one everyone is playing. No one plays the old versions anymore. The new 2013 patch that is coming out is completely free.

SF4 is excellent. I've started playing it again all the time instead of Injustice. SF4 is fun as hell and the game in its current state is also pretty damn balanced. Yes, there are powerful characters, and vortex characters, as is always the case, are strong, but people have been figuring out a lot of tech lately. The tiers in that game are extremely compressed (not quite as much as Tekken, but close).

The top 8s in SF4 have been incredibly varied this year... usually 8 different characters. Dedicated mains are showing what their chars can do. We're seeing tons of "mid tier" and below characters placing top 8 or winning tournaments, both here and in Japan. We're even seeing THawk, "the worst character in the game," making strong tournament showings now. I could go on and on, but definitely pick SF4 back up. The game is solid and fun as hell.

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
Yang wasn't OP. look where he is now bottom 10, he got ''balanced''.
Yang's my personal favourite in the game :) I'm not a HUGE fanboy of SSF4 AE, but had Yang been at least mid tier I would have probably stuck with it. For me personally, playing against Adon, Cammy, Seth, Akuma and Ibuki (who my friends used) as Yang just was not worth it. Inferior damage and footsie tools meant so much added work, at least at the level we were playing at ( The MU's are probably more even due to the skill level they're at).

I'm looking to get back into the game and I'm hoping Yang is buffed a little bit in v. 2013. Injustice doesn't do anything for me in terms of being a fundamentally sound fighter for me at all. Also, i'm not keeping my hopes up for the return of a good MK after Injustice either ...

If all goes wrong and Yang remains shitty I suppose I could just go to Fei, he's very simple and effective.

Yang's my personal favourite in the game :) I'm not a HUGE fanboy of SSF4 AE, but had Yang been at least mid tier I would have probably stuck with it. For me personally, playing against Adon, Cammy, Seth, Akuma and Ibuki (who my friends used) as Yang just was not worth it. Inferior damage and footsie tools meant so much added work, at least at the level we were playing at (for pro's, because they obviously are better the MU's might even out a bit more).

I'm looking to get back into the game and I'm hoping Yang is buffed a little bit, because Injustice doesn't do anything for me in terms of being a fundamentally sound fighter and I'm not keeping my hopes up for the return of MK.

If all goes wrong and Yang remains shitty I suppose I could just go to Fei, he's very simple and effective.

Yeah I used to play Yang too until they nerfed him down the ground worse than they did to yun. While all the crying was about yun. I play sakura now but I recently picked up yun. Yang is obviously getting buffs in 2013 patch but I don't know whether he will be a legit character. yun apparantly is going to get more health, if this is true I will be switching to yun. Imo they should just bring back prepatch yang which I don't see a problem with.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
NOt sure how great my two mains are since I never really delved deep into this game, but I always mained Chun Li and Cammy.

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
Yeah I used to play Yang too until they nerfed him down the ground worse than they did to yun. While all the crying was about yun. I play sakura now but I recently picked up yun. Yang is obviously getting buffs in 2013 patch but I don't know whether he will be a legit character. yun apparantly is going to get more health, if this is true I will be switching to yun. Imo they should just bring back prepatch yang which I don't see a problem with.
I read they're looking into potentially:

• Increasing stun slightly
• Partially reverting his J. MK hitbox nerf (not the level of AE, but larger than it is now)
• Partially reverting his LK nerf (bringing it back down to 4f or possible 3f like it was in AE)
• Taking away some whiff recovery frames from the divekick to allow for more oki set ups (again, like AE)

We'll have to see, he does feel very inferior to most of the cast. His higher mobility playstyle is fun for sure but he can't do much with it besides atm. Also winning with some nice resets after the Rekka~FADC, Cl. MK feels hella rewarding. Hope they fix him up :)

I'm pretty sure it's general consensus that yang was likely the best character in ae. It's just that he wasn't as easy as Yun.

Yang's still amazing to watch though. Good Yangs work for their wins.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
My analysis.

Vanilla - lots of emphasis on dragon punch -> FADC -> ultra combo.

Super - alleged dominance by charge characters, but this version was the best in my personal opinion.

AE - overpowered Yun and Yang.

AE v2012 - vortex runs the game.

AE v2013 - to be announced at Evolution 2013.
Pretty much, though vortex really only runs 2012 because the oki game of SFIV didn't really start blowing up until AE. Had people discovered all of that prior to then, this would've probably rang true throughout all the incarnations of SFIV.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Just be happy it isn't 3rd Strike.
I personally found the SF3 series a LOT more fluid for footsies and execution than the SF4 series.

We're even seeing THawk, "the worst character in the game," making strong tournament showings now. I could go on and on, but definitely pick SF4 back up. The game is solid and fun as hell.
If only the MKC were this patient and optimistic about characters being able to jump up or down on the tier list within a single revision of a game..

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
this was never proved to be true, look at him now...
Nobody really cared, because even if it was true, Yun was easier to use and would've only been 1 or 2 spots below him. Doesn't justify his normalization like he did lol.

Yang just needs some of his tools restored, like his s.LK and j.MK. Maybe the divekick going back to 4f recovery.

Nobody really cared, because even if it was true, Yun was easier to use and would've only been 1 or 2 spots below him. Doesn't justify his normalization like he did lol.

Yang just needs some of his tools restored, like his s.LK and j.MK. Maybe the divekick going back to 4f recovery.

exactly

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
If only the MKC were this patient and optimistic about characters being able to jump up or down on the tier list within a single revision of a game..
A++++ agree. The only thing I will admit is that NRS is way worse at making a game with a large competitively viable roster. A ton of awesome characters were just left in the dust in MK9 because a small handful of overpowered characters with broken garbage rule the game. In SF4, characters have the depth they need to be viable. Hell, Infiltration has a sick pocket Hakan, though I STILL dont think anyone has taken that character to the level he could be.

There was a great team in a recent team tournament... maybe in Philly this past year, I think?... where there was a team called KnowYourMatchups that was like THawk, DeeJay and Guy? Three characters generally thought to be bottom tier. But they ended up finishing second, I think. I looked on youtube but couldnt find any footage, nor did a google turn up the tournament results.

For everyone talking about Yang, Floe is maining him now and should be playing him in SF4 this weekend. I think Floe said that he doesn't think Yang is as bad as everyone thinks.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
A++++ agree. The only thing I will admit is that NRS is way worse at making a game with a large competitively viable roster. A ton of awesome characters were just left in the dust in MK9 because a small handful of overpowered characters with broken garbage rule the game. In SF4, characters have the depth they need to be viable. Hell, Infiltration has a sick pocket Hakan, though I STILL dont think anyone has taken that character to the level he could be.

There was a great team in a recent team tournament... maybe in Philly this past year, I think?... where there was a team called KnowYourMatchups that was like THawk, DeeJay and Guy? Three characters generally thought to be bottom tier. But they ended up finishing second, I think. I looked on youtube but couldnt find any footage, nor did a google turn up the tournament results.

For everyone talking about Yang, Floe is maining him now and should be playing him in SF4 this weekend. I think Floe said that he doesn't think Yang is as bad as everyone thinks.
Indeed. The problem imo is our community here is too selective concerning player vs. character. Pig for example, with Mileena, it's nothing but great fundamentals and he worked hard, but with Kenshi.. ZOMG, this character must be top 2, he must be banned!.. even though Freddy does the same thing except in what, 2, maybe 3 matchups?

On the other hand, a lot of these players have had to grind through their fair share of dirt in games like Super Turbo, where T.Hawk was dismissed for years even there. Even if the stuff that shaped MK9 was unquestionably fair, I don't think it'd be any different just because it's the first time Midway/NRS games have had a significant following since UMK3. Somehow we're supposed to just wait and see how things develop with characters like Kabal and Cyrax but we go apeshit on an ambiguous situation like Scorpion in Injustice in less than a month? :confused: What kind of unity is that?

That said, I'm also looking forward to seeing what happens with Yang before AE2013 goes gold. I think he's been way under the radar even since the original AE DLC.