What's new

Serious Question for PC MKX: Player A has i7 - Player B has minimum requirements. More Lag caused?

His game might run like garbage (really bad framerate), but on his end because it's HIS machine that can't handle it. You'd be fine.

Immortal

Blind justice....
His game might run like garbage (really bad framerate), but on his end because it's HIS machine that can't handle it. You'd be fine.
God, please do read the whole thread before you post that misinformation again...

If he doesn't have constant 60 fps (and you) the online experience gonna be terrible. Game will sync at 30 fps for both and it's gonna be slow motion for both.

How does that even happen? I haven't bought a console in forever. There is no need.
Easily. I was always big on RTS and Shooters with some RPGs, and around that time, the market shifted. PC gaming was quickly becoming very MMO oriented, and Blizzard jumped on that band wagon and it was their RTSes I loved. The best shooter on PC's at that time was Half-Life 2, which was a glorified tech demo that, to me, was a really disappointing game. Steam also launched and for years it was a piece of junk.

Developers were starting to focus more for shooters on consoles, RPGs were also doing well on console, and I took a serious look at the Xbox. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and its sequel was there first, the Halo franchise was there, Doom 3 was coming (and aside from the graphical downgrade, was better gameplay wise on Xbox in my opinion). LucasArts was always showcasing the Xbox version of Star Wars: Republic Commando, and some console exclusives, like The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age, also had my attention.

So in Oct. 2004, I bought my first console since the SNES, and it was a great experience. In Dec. 2006, I picked up an Xbox 360 and continued that, enjoying solid cross-platform titles and exclusives like Halo, Gears of War, etc.

Consoles had their problems, of course: premium multiplayer, premium DLC, etc., but the games I wanted to play where there so it worked well enough.

Now though, different story.

I personally find it to be cyclical. Console gaming was great in the late 80's to early 90's, but then PC's took off. They declined in the early to mid-2000's and consoles took off again, but now it's PC time again.

Really though, when all is said and done, go where the games you want are and support the platform or platforms of your choice. Enjoy gaming. Video games are fun.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Yeah injustice definitely looks different on pc. But if you can't get proper training due to lag and relying on other users is it a worthy trade for a better looking game? From a competitive standpoint I mean anyway
If you have a good PC, it doesn't really matter. Rarely will you come across someone that you REALLY want to play that agrees to play it on PC knowing their PC can't run the game.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
Would be nice to have a system that gives you a benchmark or some time of rating before you go online. Maybe you can filter games with it. I rarely run into problems with SF4 on steam where I play some guy with a dooky pc. In fact I don't recall getting below an A grade opponent.

chores

bad at things
If you or someone puts together factual information I'll make an extremely well done video for it
I could but @Immortal may be a better candidate. I do network support for small to medium sized businesses but I dont have a CCNA or anything. He said earlier in this thread he is an engineer so he probably has more insight/tehcnical details

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
PC will have the better online overall guaranteed. Sure if you are playing some person with a poverty PC it could affect the connection, but the people you play day in and day out or that who you find over time that have PCs that can run the game will lead to way more enjoyable matches connection-wise. Who knows though...it would be nice if the consoles surprised me, but I don't think they have the servers that Steam has.

Immortal

Blind justice....
PC will have the better online overall guaranteed. Sure if you are playing some person with a poverty PC it could affect the connection, but the people you play day in and day out or that who you find over time that have PCs that can run the game will lead to way more enjoyable matches connection-wise. Who knows though...it would be nice if the consoles surprised me, but I don't think they have the servers that Steam has.
Just to be clear, Steam has nothing to do with games like MK9 or any other P2P games, the only thing thats going throu the actual Steam servers in this case is chat room system, friend system and authentication process when you launch the game. The actual online fight is peer-to-peer and most likely this is how it's gonna be in MK X too.

Last edited:

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
So if player A has top of he line machine and player B has top of the line toaster oven for a CPU (8 year old CPU w bare amino mum requirements) does this actually cause lag for the two players playing online or make it worse?

Can someone give me an educated answer? Very interested to know

@cR WoundCowboy also this is the me upgrading my connection diva status . I've grown up from simplistic modem nazi.
I know with networks and communication your connection with someone/something else is always based off of the slowest part. Whether that is someone's obsolete hardware bogging down their framerate (hopefully frameskip keeps the other player from seeing this), their fisher price internet slowing down everything, or if they are still using antiquated hardware like a 10/100 router or switch or a max 300bps wifi extender to play on. You could have the best everything, but when you connect to Billy Bob from the swamp, you are limited to what he has.

To be honest, I don't know if connecting to someone who can't maintain a consistent framerate on their machine would lag on your end... but it would make sense that it would not be optimal.

People who do not know how to write code- please stop trying to answer.... :coffee:

You'd actually need to ask a programmer at Netherrealm about this. Because it's very specific to how the game is coded.

All I can give you is the "by default" situation- that is, what would be the case if the programmers at Netherrealm didn't specifically do something that would allow game data to be exchanged asynchronously from visual frame updates on each client.

And that default situation is- there would be slowdown on both clients' experience of the game if one or the other was dropping in frame rate due to low specs. It wouldn't technically be "lag" but it would simulate a similar feeling.

Immortal

Blind justice....
People who do not know how to write code- please stop trying to answer.... :coffee:

You'd actually need to ask a programmer at Netherrealm about this. Because it's very specific to how the game is coded.

All I can give you is the "by default" situation- that is, what would be the case if the programmers at Netherrealm didn't specifically do something that would allow game data to be exchanged asynchronously from visual frame updates on each client.

And that default situation is- there would be slowdown on both clients' experience of the game if one or the other was dropping in frame rate due to low specs. It wouldn't technically be "lag" but it would simulate a similar feeling.
This is true to some extent. Althou as we know, MK9, IGAU and MK X all were made based on modified UE3. So anybody with atleast decent knowledge about programming can check UDK or even better now UE4 source code to get an idea how things work in that engine. And obviously they could alter it much (which Boons said they did for MK X) but simple observation of how game session in working in MK9 and IGAU will tell you much.

It's obvious that game is synced by frames ergo data is exchanged synchronously. People with lower spec PC tried hacks which gave them constant 45 fps and this worked offline but online game instantly desynced. Also MK9 and IGAU are meant to be synced at 60 fps if one of the players can't sustain that frame rate game instantly sync session at 30 fps (slow motion in game) which is also a big clue how the netcode itself is written.... but this is for another topic.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I read that the issue for most PC games especially FPS's COD, so many people on youtube make rant videos about this they say if others have higher specs than you they have the advantage. I don't know how true this is just know quite a few people have said this about PC games namely FPS's I have no idea how this effects fighters however.

My PC isn't the best for gaming anyway so I'll stick to Xbox :)

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
OK to settle this once and for all.
About a year ago me and @zaf played MK9 online. He had the game installed recently on his laptop and we played online. It was pretty laggier than usual. I told him to install Fraps and turns out his laptop was running the game at around 50-55 fps all the time, never hit 60 fps.
He fixed that and the problem was gone.

There. From experience.
/Thread

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I am sure that they have. If I were to ever buy a console again it would be a Nintendo. If there ever is a sequel to Ogre Battle 64 I'm in. That is a killer app for me.
I'd buy a Nintendo console in a heartbeat just for the nostalgia of Pokemon and Super Mario World.