What's new

Serious Question for PC MKX: Player A has i7 - Player B has minimum requirements. More Lag caused?

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
So if player A has top of he line machine and player B has top of the line toaster oven for a CPU (8 year old CPU w bare amino mum requirements) does this actually cause lag for the two players playing online or make it worse?

Can someone give me an educated answer? Very interested to know

@cR WoundCowboy also this is the me upgrading my connection diva status . I've grown up from simplistic modem nazi.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
If the guy with the minimum requirements runs the game at stable 60 fps (should tune down the settings to get that), there won't be any lag caused by the hardware - only by the connection.

If he, however, chooses high settings and his game stutters, then ggs.

Negative sir. His toaster wouldn't effect your gameplay whatsoever. The only factor that you have to consider is your connection to each other.

EDIT: Looks like I'm wrong. Don't listen to me because I'm dumb.

Last edited:
If the guy with the minimum requirements runs the game at stable 60 fps (should tune down the settings to get that), there won't be any lag caused by the hardware - only by the connection.

If he, however, chooses high settings and his game stutters, then ggs.
GG's as in he's gunna get fukt because he's stuttering while you're not.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Simple put, game would go to next frame rate sync bar which is at 30 FPS. This looks like game in slow motion which is terrible and not playable at all.

That's why so many people complained about MK 9 PC netcode. So yea, decent hardware, low latency or the game is pretty much unplayable. Expect something among those lines for MK X too. Probably with better tolerance for higher latency (better netcode).

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
When I play starcraft 2, occasionally I'll get a notice at the top of the screen to let me know if I or someone with a toaster is slowing down the game. I imagine this means that my game is being slowed down to match the toaster oven. It doesn't really affect that game as much though.

Given the history of netcode issues NRS has had, I simply expect the online play will not be good from the get go.

If I'm wrong, it's all win since I'll be happily surprised.

I expect offline, as always, will be where things really are, but I'm still going to have a great time with the game and online against buddies will still be fun.

zaf

professor
Simple put, game would go to next frame rate sync bar which is at 30 FPS. This looks like game in slow motion which is terrible and not playable at all.

That's why so many people complained about MK 9 PC netcode. So yea, decent hardware, low latency or the game is pretty much unplayable. Expect something among those lines for MK X too. Probably with better tolerance for higher latency (better netcode).
^^This pretty much.

Ive played MK9 with a lot of people who did not adjust their video settings.
This caused a lot of lag in game. Very unplayable.
After the video settings were adjusted and corrected on the other end, we were able to have solid sets with almost zero lag.

In the end, yes this will be a problem

chores

bad at things
the real answer is that no one knows unless they have access to the source code (netcode) for the game.

in all likelihood framerate on computer A or B wont have any affect on latency in an online match, but there were lots of games in the 90s and early 2000s that were programmed this way.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
USf4 has a PC grade rating next to your name when joining lobby A = 60fps+ and it makes you re-benchmark every time you change video settings. It would be a nice feature to have because I am sure some people are gonna yolo crank up their settings on a mid-range.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
When people don't have the game running at 60fps the game will run at the speed for both players.

So if someone's computer can't run the game at 60fps steadily the game is unplayable. even if its 58 FPS, it is unplayable
Wait so I'm correct in believing that there will before lag if one computer is awesome and the other is trash? O

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Wow how annoying lol

Well if I get my PC built then sorry but to play me u better not my lag setup because that person wants Gfx his body can't cash
Yeah if this ends up being an issue then playing ranked/randos online might get annoying. So we'll just have to all add each other on steam so we know who we can and can't play with.

So if the game freezes on online fights like every 2 seconds (for some frames) is because of video settings? Because I have this issue in MK, but Injustice plays fine.

Immortal

Blind justice....
So if the game freezes on online fights like every 2 seconds (for some frames) is because of video settings? Because I have this issue in MK, but Injustice plays fine.
Freezes can mean numerous things actually. Dropped packages (network related), person on the other hand uses 45 fps hack (thou this usually will couse desync) or high spikes in latency.

trufenix

bye felicia
in most modern games network / gfx processing are done by seperate threads, meaning it is possible for one person to be running fine at 60 while the other persons is lagging and jumping around looking retarded. It's unlikely, but theoretically possible.