What's new

Serious Question for PC MKX: Player A has i7 - Player B has minimum requirements. More Lag caused?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
If it runs it at minimum just fine, there shouldn't be much of an issue, if I
Unfortunately (for online gaming with US players) i'm from Poland. Thou i have great connection, so atm my latency to servers in Atlanta is 85-90ms. So i'm hoping for really nice games with you in MK X. :>

You have no idea.
What about Cleveland servers? (Or Ohio servers in general)

chores

bad at things
someone should write a primer for PC players (and console for that matter) going over the importance of maintaining 60fps, hardwire vs wifi, router qos settings. stuff like that. the videos for this game are getting so many hits on youtube that im sure the sales for MKX will be astronomical. a ton of casual/new players will make their way to this site.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Unfortunately (for online gaming with US players) i'm from Poland. Thou i have great connection, so atm my latency to servers in Atlanta is 85-90ms. So i'm hoping for really nice games with you in MK X. :>

You have no idea.
Well not to burst your bubble, but 85-90 ms is about 5-6 frames, and this is only to servers, not to Pig's house. And 5-6 frames is already bad enough...

Immortal

Blind justice....
What about Cleveland servers? (Or Ohio servers in general)
Cleveland is at 104 - 109ms atm. Basically any city from East Coast is from good to sorta okey for me also Canada is fine.

On the other hand obviously West Coast is a no go for me (latency from 160 to 220 ms).

someone should write a primer for PC players (and console for that matter) going over the importance of maintaining 60fps, hardwire vs wifi, router qos settings. stuff like that. the videos for this game are getting so many hits on youtube that im sure the sales for MKX will be astronomical. a ton of casual/new players will make their way to this site.
Probably gonna do that, since there is much confusion and misinformation about that.

Last edited:
Freezes can mean numerous things actually. Dropped packages (network related), person on the other hand uses 45 fps hack (thou this usually will couse desync) or high spikes in latency.
I don't think my issue is network related since I wouldn't have this problem with everyone on PC and with no one on ps3. On ps3 when is laggy, the controls just don't respond on time. There is no freezing.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Well not to burst your bubble, but 85-90 ms is about 5-6 frames, and this is only to servers, not to Pig's house. And 5-6 frames is already bad enough...
No offense but i'm a software engineer i really know how to count latency, frametime etc. :) and 90 ms is exactly 5 frames delay with 60 fps game. Which isn't great yeah but its ok. And if a game has any decent rollback system or decent netcode (fingers crossed for MK X) 90ms is usually no problem (for example Killer Instinct or Skullgirls which use ggpo type netcode are almost like offline with 90ms delay).

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
No offense but i'm a software engineer i really know how to count latency, frametime etc. :) and 90 ms is exactly 5 frames delay with 60 fps game. Which isn't great yeah but its ok. And if a game has any decent rollback system or decent netcode (fingers crossed for MK X) 90ms is usually no problem (for example Killer Instinct or Skullgirls which use ggpo type netcode).
Oh man I really hope they use the GGPO netcode :(
I don't have my hopes up, though.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
No offense but i'm a software engineer i really know how to count latency, frametime etc. :) and 90 ms is exactly 5 frames delay with 60 fps game. Which isn't great yeah but its ok. And if a game has any decent rollback system or decent netcode (fingers crossed for MK X) 90ms is usually no problem (for example Killer Instinct or Skullgirls which use ggpo type netcode are almost like offline with 90ms delay).
Which is why I'm hoping NRS does go with rollback.

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
Lag doesn't come from hardware shortcomings, that's more what you would consider general choppiness due to the CPU being unable to keep up with the frame rate. In your proposed situation, Player A wouldn't see anything laggy/choppy unless Player B also had a bad internet connection, as that is the only thing that will cause lag for Player A from the other player's end.

Yea excuse my ignorance, I haven't done serious PC gaming since Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 were at their peak interest levels like 14 years ago
That's exactly when I last did serious PC gaming as well.

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne was my major last horrah there. Shifted to console in Oct. 2004, but bought a new PC this past April. I'm personally not overly impressed with the exclusives/hardware for the now current gen consoles, so will be starting up (slowly) into PC gaming again.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Which is why I'm hoping NRS does go with rollback.
Problem with this is if NRS would use rollback type of netcode im pretty sure they would already said so. Coz it would be a good marketing for the game. So with that in mind i think it's gonna be unfortunately only a bit better version of normal netcode which they used in Injustice and MK9 before that.

AssassiN

Noob
Lag doesn't come from hardware shortcomings, that's more what you would consider general choppiness due to the CPU being unable to keep up with the frame rate. In your proposed situation, Player A wouldn't see anything laggy/choppy unless Player B also had a bad internet connection, as that is the only thing that will cause lag for Player A from the other player's end.
You'll notice slow gameplay if other person is not running the game at constant 60 fps.
It doesn't cause lag, just you really notice the game going slow.

If both players are able to play at 60 fps and not drop below 60(regardless at low or high quality settings), it should play fine.

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
You'll notice slow gameplay if other person is not running the game at constant 60 fps.
It doesn't cause lag, just you really notice the game going slow.

If both players are able to play at 60 fps and not drop below 60(regardless at low or high quality settings), it should play fine.
Hmmm. Yeah I guess that's true. I don't play fighting games on PC ever, so if I've seen stuff like that happen in other games, I probably just never noticed because it doesn't matter as much. Interesting. Thanks ;)

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight

You have no idea.
I can vouch. Played immortal the other night on Mk9. It was fine.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
If you or someone puts together factual information I'll make an extremely well done video for it

The Gfx for injustice is immensely superior on PC compared to console.

I expect MKx on PC to be a f ing diamond
Yeah, I have the Xbox 360, Vita, and PC versions of MK9, and the PC version is the best looking hands down.

I doubt the PC will have higher texture quality, but it wouldn't surprise me if it has better anti-aliasing, particle effects, perhaps lighting.

AssassiN

Noob
Hmmm. Yeah I guess that's true. I don't play fighting games on PC ever, so if I've seen stuff like that happen in other games, I probably just never noticed because it doesn't matter as much. Interesting. Thanks ;)
Pretty much only happens in fighting games tbh.
You won't really notice another player in a shooter with a shitty pc.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
The Gfx for injustice is immensely superior on PC compared to console.

I expect MKx on PC to be a f ing diamond
Yeah injustice definitely looks different on pc. But if you can't get proper training due to lag and relying on other users is it a worthy trade for a better looking game? From a competitive standpoint I mean anyway