What's new

Sep. 29th 2020 Presidential Debate Discussion

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Irrespective of the denomination, someone is responsible for the burning, looting, shooting, etc. throughout the protests.
One candidate unequivocally condemned all violence, and said we need to come together, on all sides, as a nation.

The other.. Asks white supremacists to stand by. You can't spin this one -- a dog whistle is a dog whistle.

Trump bullied biden all night! U can think different cause u dislike trump,but he made biden look weak and soft. They both landed points and I was surprised to see biden not get confused,but other than that he got his ass whipped! If he cant handle a debate with trump how can we expect him to handle and be tough with foreign leaders? Imo of course

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
I don’t like either of them, I’m a pretty far left person and was super bummed when Biden got the spot instead of Bernie. I wasn’t even going to vote.

BUT - When the president of the country tells a white supremacist group to “stand back and stand by”, it’s pretty damn clear we need to focus on getting this dude out. How are people going to excuse this shit

It was an awful debate, but Biden won round 1 easily.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
Oh boy, looking from overseas I can't say I envy you guys. What a shitshow.

But I really don't think Biden needs to earn any voters tbh. At this point he just needs to allow Trump to hang himself, which he surely did. Very few people seem to actually care to vote for Biden, they're actually just voting against Trump, who did nothing in this debate to appease anyone other than people who already support him.

I have no horse in this race, but the fact that Biden doesn't lose anything in a debate where he doesn't do anything special is pretty indicative of how terribly Trump did. If his intent was just to keep the voters he already has he should've just not participated in the debate.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Trump made a mistake selling it like Biden wouldn't even be cognizant at the the debate, he seemed a lot sharper than he was being described as, which everyone's automatically gonna notice.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
only liberals are mad about how he pays 750 in taxes...but okay with illegal immigrants paying ZERO.
Except illegal immigrants do pay taxes. Something like 6 million of them filed tax returns. I guarantee there are millions of illegals paying more in income tax than $750.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
I can't believe I live in a country where our president just gave a shout out to a white supremacist group and people will STILL be voting for him. It's just surreal. At this point, the fucking guy could kill a child on live TV and it wouldn't matter.
Ngl I'm kind of scared when shit like this happens. When people start making up excuses for this kind of speech it just borders on cult of personality territory imo. "I support said politician in spite of this" is very different from "he can do no wrong".

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Except illegal immigrants do pay taxes. Something like 6 million of them filed tax returns. I guarantee there are millions of illegals paying more in income tax than $750.

I was actually going to make this exact same point. Also, a lot of focus is on Income Tax, but those aren't the only taxes being paid. If the illegal immigrants are on a payroll, they're paying payroll taxes. If they own a home they're paying property taxes. They're also likely paying sales tax.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
Trump bullied biden all night! U can think different cause u dislike trump,but he made biden look weak and soft. They both landed points and I was surprised to see biden not get confused,but other than that he got his ass whipped! If he cant handle a debate with trump how can we expect him to handle and be tough with foreign leaders? Imo of course
Interesting take. Just curious: If you and I were supposed to come on this forum to debate the merits of different ideas for NRS games, but every time you tried to express a thought, I reached over and finger-mashed your keyboard or just meme'd random lies about who your mother has slept around with, and I did it so non-stop that our forum mods had to tell me repeatedly to STFU and act like a grown-up... would you call me a tough debater who made you look weak and soft? Or just a clown who's afraid to let people hear what you have to say?

Don't kid yourself: Your glowering orange troll did not look good up there. He was not in any way, shape, or form "presidential". Biden didn't look much better, though he at least showed more class.

Nobody won that dumpster fire of a "debate". Whatever that was, it was an insult to the historical legacy of presidential debates and a national embarrassment. The American people are the big losers here, because that shit show is what passes for modern political communication in this country. This is what we have now, because we have infotainment instead of news, and our information infrastructure is controlled by AI and ad impressions instead of people with an ethical obligation to truth and fact.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Biden didn't look much better, though he at least showed more class.
I'm not really sure what Biden is supposed to do, though. When President Trump is breaking rules and acting how he acts, is there any way Biden can make the debate look legit by himself? If one candidate throws enough mud it's going to look like a mud bath no matter what.

There's just really no point in debating President Trump.

Anarchist_Gib

Shao Kahn main, please your send prayers!
It likely wouldn't do much either way.
The discussion or the 8%? The deductions I saw as a smaller LLC meant bonuses and pay raises across the board, comfier buffer between inventory restocks, and upgraded systems and store infrastructure. The vast majority of business (89%) have under 20 people, whom absolutely deserve the leeway provided under a lower tax burden.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
I'm not really sure what Biden is supposed to do, though. When President Trump is breaking rules and acting how he acts, is there any way Biden can make the debate look legit by himself? If one candidate throws enough mud it's going to look like a mud bath no matter what.

There's just really no point in debating President Trump.
I personally feel like he let Trump get to him a bit, losing his line of thought quite a few times. Don't get me wrong, there was no way to make that an honest debate with how Trump acted, but Biden lost some opportunities to come out on top.

The Slaj Jazz

TIckle my sweet salty nips
It ended up turning into a shit show in basically the first 10 minutes. I agree that Biden should just let Trump continue to hang himself at this point and imo after he warmed up later then he did pretty decent.

Not surprising that Trump wouldn't denounce white supremacists but I doubt it would discourage his supporters anyway at this point.

Edit: also how are you supposed to debate someone interrupting and insulting you the entire time? I think him saying shut up and calling him a clown was pretty mild at that point lol

M2Dave

Zoning Master
The other.. Asks white supremacists to stand by. You can't spin this one -- a dog whistle is a dog whistle.
Who is spinning this one? Even the hosts of Fox and Friends were criticizing the "stand back and stand by" comment this morning.

Are you sure that you are not downplaying the crimes committed by the BLM protestors? Of course, not all protestors are criminals, but everywhere there are protests there are crimes being committed, which you have excused in the other thread as a call for democracy and justice.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
Who is spinning this one? Even the hosts of Fox and Friends were criticizing the "stand back and stand by" comment this morning.

Are you sure that you are not downplaying the crimes committed by the BLM protestors? Of course, not all protestors are criminals, but everywhere there are protests there are crimes being committed, which you have excused in the other thread as a call for democracy and justice.
I don't think this is an honest comparison at all. Don't get me wrong, I will always disapprove looting and destruction of private property, but there's a pretty big difference between people abusing an overall good ideal to commit crimes - which happens with every ideology, every time people come together around an idea - and a way of thinking that's inherently hateful and pretty much revolves around inciting violence.

jokey77

Character Loyalist
I can't believe I live in a country where our president just gave a shout out to a white supremacist group and people will STILL be voting for him. It's just surreal. At this point, the fucking guy could kill a child on live TV and it wouldn't matter.
My thoughts exactly!

Normally, there should be a broad group of people in the political center that decide the election and that no longer vote for Trump after what he has said. It seems, however, that the political left has also shifted to an extreme and moved away from the political center just as much.

I wish for nothing more than open-minded political discourse. - But in this respect things really don't look good in the US:
  • On the one hand you have Trump, who makes any discourse impossible by personal insults.
  • On the other hand you have a representative of leftists, who like discourse exactly as long as it serves their cause.
I still admire the rhetoric skills of both Trump and Biden though. I think that Trump tries to provoke an unusual overreaction, especially since a "normal" course of the election campaign would lead to his defeat. How Biden managed to stay calm and to continue his sentences despite permanent interruptions was really impressive.

That being said: I don't want to sound disrespectful to the US. There are many political processes that you really do best. Yesterday's debate was just not a showpiece (in my very personal opinion).

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
Remember when Trump was saying there'd been no problems with Covid at his rallys? I was nearly yelling at the tv about Herman Cain likely contracting it at Tulsa, and wanted Biden to point that out.

Would you have considered that a relevant point or treating a recently dead man's legacy poorly for political gain? I've seen some talk about the latter if he had, but it's real damn hard for me to not notice deaths of public figures in a near exact timeline for the contraction of Covid-19 from the date of that rally.