What's new

Sektor Patch Changes

After trying it out in a few matches, I'm all on board with the f4>up missile ender. It's a safe way to lock people down and create some insurance, as well as bait teleport wake-ups, which more than makes up for the lost damage from b2.

ryublaze

Noob
I tested out 1 up missle today against another sektor player earlier today and never got punished for it. I think thats a fine option as well if you don't want to do d4 and its the same dmg and easier to time.

The only character that can actually punish up missle ender when done right is smoke with shake I think. Also this may or may not be completely useless I havn't even tried but you might be able to do f2 after up missle to switch sides and screw over their inputs. Probably won't work but I don't know see if theres anything there.
Thank you spongebob (I love that show). Ending with 1/2, UM does the same damage as ending with F4, UM and D4, UM. I'll now be ending with 1/2, UM instead of the usual F4, UM.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
Just tested a few things. 2/1/d4 are you best options when ending in up missle they all give you about the same recovery. I'd use 2 most of the time as it's easy and does 1% more then the rest and I only lose 5% off my normal bnb. I don't have the patch so can't say which one is easier for cancelling into the other up missle variations.

No move can punish you (tested tp's, dash, superman and ex spin) although if you do the 1 or 2 too low to the ground then dash can sometimes get you. Not hard to time though what I do is just dash after ex tu then 2 hits them high. Only thing to watch out for is to not hit block too fast or you might end up with homing missle lol.

I tested out the PS3 patch last night in training mode.

TU, f4, Up missile does NOT work. The missile goes through the opponent like they're invisible. It worked all of the time for me before patch, I know it's just training mode, but I doubt it works in a real match either.

Yet TU, b2, Up missile still works.

Horrible nerf.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ

TU, f4, Up missile does NOT work. The missile goes through the opponent like they're invisible. It worked all of the time for me before patch, I know it's just training mode, but I doubt it works in a real match either.

Horrible nerf.
The better enders are 1,2 and d4. Test if those work.

The better enders are 1,2 and d4. Test if those work.
Okay, just tested a bunch of stuff out.

The hitbox for the specific sequence [f4, up missile] has totally changed from pre-patch, and f4, up missile is now very different from any other move before an up missile.

[f4, up missile] and [TU, f4, up missile] goes through the opponent. Even worse, after this sequence, the first hit of any rush down after (like the b3 of a b3,4 starter) will also go through the opponent. What's weird is [EX TU, f4, up missile] still works right.

But, out of about 50 tries, I DID get the up missile to connect 3 times in this [TU, f4, up missile] sequence. It is very hard, but you have to do the f4 as late as possible after the TU, then the up missile as fast as you can. This isn't practical or reliable, so scratch doing that sequence. The reason it works very late is for some reason there's a short time window where the opponent is invisible after the sequence, and doing it late passes the time.

Very weird that these still do work:
[TU, f4, up missile] and [f4, up missile] do NOT work.
[EX TU, f4, standard up missile] does work.
[TU, f4, far up missile] does work when opponent is rolling back.
[TU, f4, close up missile] is almost impossible for me to test, because the negative edge instantly does a TU for me.
[TU, f4, homing missile] does work because it hits later than a regular up missile.
[TU, f4, straight missile/EX straight missile/flame/EX flame] all work normally as a combo.

[TU, b2, standard up missile] does work, and also any quick rushdown after it.
[TU, b2, far up missile] does work when opponent is rolling back.
[TU, b2, close up missile] also hits opponent when they do rushdown.
[TU, b2, f2/ TU, b2, f2+BL] (2 in 1 flame/2 in 1 EX flame) still work normally.
[TU, b2, f1/ TU, b2, f1+ BL] (2 in 1 missile/2 in 1 EX missile) still work normally (timing is still strict).
[EX TU, b2, and all above] all work normally.

All [TU,1,2, up missile] and [TU, d4, up missile] sequences work just like the b2 sequences above - the same as before.

The only sequence that has changed to my knowledge is the f4, up missile sequence.

I have tried the [f4, up missile] sequence as human Sektor, and MK3 Sektor. I have tried it against about 12 different characters of various heights and DLC. It does not work for ANYONE.

So in summary:
The up missile in a [f4, up missile] setup and any subsequent rushdown hit will go through your opponent. This has been changed from prepatch, and Sektor's other up-missile setups still work normally. The reason is that specifically after a [f4, up missile], there is a short window that the opponent is invisible/invincible that isn't there on any similar setup. F4 was probably his best up missile setup starter after a combo, and taking it away sucks. This is either a glitch or an intentional nerf.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
^Gd work and sektor barely loses anything from f4 up missle no longer working. Both b2 and f4 up missle have easy ways out. With b2 up missle you can easily wakeup attack sektor with most of the cast. With f4 up missle you can roll then wakeup before sektor has a chance to block. Using 2 up missle does the same dmg as f4 but the opponent has no way to punish you, sektor can even block the fastest wakeups like elbow dash.

The only thing is atm that a techroll avoids up missle ender pressure altogether but cancelling into backwards up missle might make it into a guessing game if your opponent keeps rolling. After a while you can condition them or they may just simply not wakeup attack and you can jump in, throw etc to really capitalise of the UM ender.

Robotic

Gentleman.
Kergon's the man for this. Thanks for testing and breaking stuff down for us. I majorly disagree that f4 upmissile was the preferred setup, but awesome stuff regardless, bud :D

No problem.

So TU/EX TU, 2, up missile was the better combo ender for a setup? What I liked about the f4 is that it gave some extra room. Just tried it out against someone, it seems decent, but damn, none of these up missile setups work against Mileena's wakeup attacks. :grr: Boy do I hate her.

Robotic

Gentleman.
No problem.

So TU/EX TU, 2, up missile was the better combo ender for a setup? What I liked about the f4 is that it gave some extra room. Just tried it out against someone, it seems decent, but damn, none of these up missile setups work against Mileena's wakeup attacks. :grr: Boy do I hate her.
I use d4 before they hit the ground and cancel into upmissile. Everyone here will tell how much of a proponent I am for d4.

Against Mileena, I exclusively use d4, UM, jip. she can wakeup attack to escape, but she cannot hit you. Spongebob disagrees and thinks the telekick can still hit, but I've personally never been hit out the immediate jip against her. Maybe EX kick? That hasn't been tried against me...

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I use d4 before they hit the ground and cancel into upmissile. Everyone here will tell how much of a proponent I am for d4.

Against Mileena, I exclusively use d4, UM, jip. she can wakeup attack to escape, but she cannot hit you. Spongebob disagrees and thinks the telekick can still hit, but I've personally never been hit out the immediate jip against her. Maybe EX kick? That hasn't been tried against me...
And this is with d4~um as a bnb combo ender after an exTU right?

Just trying to see if you're talking about as a combo ender or just a normal d4~um.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ

If Mileena does a tech roll then telekicks then it will hit you. If she wakeup attacks normally (she'll be on the ground for a period of time before she does anything) then your jump will probably work. The problem with jumping straight away is that you only have just enough frames to block a fast tech roll into wakeup so if your going to jump straight away then nearly everything will catch you in the air even neckbite, though I doubt you'll see any Mileena's doing that unless they read this post lol.

This is all in theory though, the smartest thing to do would be to block for a while, see what they do and then go in for pressure or react accordingly, however a wakeup attack from them is very risky too and if they want to catch you doing anything but not blocking then they have to do it as soon as they're falling so it'd be a total risky guess on their part for them to catch you jumping in on them.

Heck most of the people I played against including good players rarely, if at all punished me for doing b2 up missle which is a stupidly risky setup. It's just unfamiliarity against sektor, noones gonna know exactly what to do in each situation which is why I often jump in too for free pressure and won't change it up until they do something.

I've tested the different 1,2 and d4 enders. The all function the same way and you can block and jump the same things.I far prefer using 1 and 2 as they're just plain easier and you don't need to wait for the opponent to fall but it really doesn't matter which one you use.

Btw I posted this in the other thread but can someone do this for me? Set the opponent to techroll then jump do a Bnb combo (e.g. 12b1 f43 jk ex TU) and end with 1 behind up missle. How does the up missle hit them? Does it hit them as soon as they're done techrolling or beginning to jump? Or when they're high in the air? Or does it whiff altogether? Any of the last 2 would make up missle pressure completely useless if the opponent knows to techroll.

Crathen

Death is my business
Sponge , i was about to write down a new thread , i'll say that it will take the help of all the Sektor comunity to examine every wakeup situation and i can tell you it will very worth it.

Soon i'm gonna make a thread for this upmissile combo ender vs wakeup and try to organize it by giving some "how to" , but it needs to be character specific and that's why it will take a lot of time , i was thinking that we should "reserve" one character , do all the testing , report it here to discuss and if it's good info we can organize it and make an "character specific upmissile setups" thread.

I was just trying some of those setups on cyrax and belive me , this creates a great low risk / high reward situation where the opponent will be scared of attempting any wakeup risking to get juggled resulting in free pressure wich is great.

ryublaze

Noob
Btw I posted this in the other thread but can someone do this for me? Set the opponent to techroll then jump do a Bnb combo (e.g. 12b1 f43 jk ex TU) and end with 1 behind up missle. How does the up missle hit them? Does it hit them as soon as they're done techrolling or beginning to jump? Or when they're high in the air? Or does it whiff altogether? Any of the last 2 would make up missle pressure completely useless if the opponent knows to techroll.
Okay I just tested this with 1, 2, d4, b2, f4, 11 and 21 combo enders. First I would like to say that ending with 1/2, infront/behind up missile is very difficult to input. Since 1 and 2 are so fast, you have to input d,b,f,3 or d,f,b,3 right away. It is easier to do 1,1 infront/behind up missile but you have to wait for the opponent to fall a little, or you can do dash, 1, 1, infront/behind up missile. This also does 1% more damage. The 1,2,b1,f4,3,tu,b3,4,extu combo does an extra 1% more damage than the 1,2,b1,f4,3,tu,jk,extu combo.

Combo enders:
1, Behind Up Missile = Missile lands at the peak of the opponent's jump height
2, Behind Up Missile = Missile lands at the peak of the opponent's jump height
1, 1, Behind Up Missile = Missile lands at the peak of the opponent's jump height (dash before or wait for opponent to fall)
2, 1, Behind Up Missile = Missile lands at the peak of the opponent's jump height (dash before or wait for opponent to fall)
d4, Behind Up Missile = Missile lands at the peak of the opponent's jump height
b2, Behind Up Missile = Missile lands at the peak of the opponent's jump height
f4, Behind Up Missile = Missile lands BEHIND the opponent after they tech roll (a regular up missile will actually land at peak after tech roll)
Only Behind Up Missile = Missile lands behind the opponent (Regular Up Missile lands in front which is weird)

Btw, I also tested the 1, Up Missile combo ender with Sektor's three 45% BnB combos and here is what I got:

1, 2, b1, jk, tu, f4, 3, extu, 1 = 38% (if you change f4, 3 to f4, 4 it does the same damage but sometimes the 4 will miss)
1, 2, b1, f4, 3, tu, jk, extu, 1 = 39%
1, 2, b1, f4, 3, tu, b3, 4, extu, 1 = 40%

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
Great stuff red thanks for testing, the behind up missle cancelling being hard and the missle hitting them at the peak of a jump is really discouraging though. It pretty much makes up missle enders a gimmick if theres a way to completely avoid it like noob saibots black hole resets. Once people know that you can avoid up missle by techrolling then walking backwards or w/e then up missle ender will be useless.

Crathen that would be a great idea for a thread, although after redraptors testing I'm suddenly a lot less optimistic about up missle enders... Its probably a better idea to wait till the patch hits EU then we can see if theres any sort of guessing game you can create with up missle.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 

Horrible nerf.
If it doesn't work as before it isn't a nerf per se. Remember that patch made some changes to the wake up system. Namely, 2 more frames were added to input a wake up attack, and 2 more frames of invincibility.

So that change is likely the reason why the missile whiffs, also explains why the Up Missile has to be fired later than before.

If it doesn't work as before it isn't a nerf per se. Remember that patch made some changes to the wake up system. Namely, 2 more frames were added to input a wake up attack, and 2 more frames of invincibility.

So that change is likely the reason why the missile whiffs, also explains why the Up Missile has to be fired later than before.
Yep, Shang Tsung players have had the same problem with corner combos ending in upskull. They were able to rework the bnbs a little bit and still get oki, hopefully the same is true here!

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
Yeah. If you set the dummy to do nothing or block, the missile will wiff, but if they do anything else it will hit. You've already worked out which combos work and which don't, but basically you need the missile to contact a couple frames later. Same bullshit happens with SubZero. If you try to slide an opponent as they wakeup, you just glide across the screen while pushing them, giving them the ability to do whatever you want.. As I said in the ST section, I really feel like these wakeup changes made this game turtle friendly. Of course, Sektor's wakeups can still be stuffed, because, well, idk. Consistency clearly isn't key in this game. Probably the same reason some of the cast has armor on half their ex specials and Sektor has... 0?