What's new

Tech "Secretly S-Tier" Escrima Midscreen Anti-Wakeup Setup

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Hello fellow Dicks,

I have found a setup that can possibly destroy the opponent's wake-up game.

The setup is basically ending a combo with B3 U3D3, then quickly following the knockdown with a MB Flip Kick. What happens when you do that is that the opponent should reverse the directions of the wake-up input for the wake-up to come out.

In the video (sorry for the bad quality) I first show the setup, then I try to do a wake-up slide by entering the inputs with "normal" directions, but the slide doesn't come out. Then finally I do the wake-up and you can see the inputs I entered have reversed directions.

The U3D3 knockdown cannot be tech rolled. The setup cannot be back- nor forward-dashed out of.

What's good about this setup is that it happens so fast the opponent can't reverse the wake-up inputs on reaction. The opponent basically can only wake-up correctly if they know the setup and they decide to reverse the direction of the wake-up inputs as soon as they see the Flip Kick animation.

Sounds good? It gets better.

The explanation of this setup is pretty simple: The U3D3 has a 25-frame knockdown advantage. Which is enough time for half the Flip Kick animation to pass, and the opponent's wake-up window starts only after Nightwing has already crossed up. So timing the Flip Kick is the main factor in the input reversal... Which leads to the question: What happens if you slightly delay the Flip Kick? That's right, the wake-up inputs aren't reversed anymore.

Alright then, fellow Dicks. Hit the labs and try this in real matches. Let's see if this setup can be really useful or not.

Ladies and gentlemen, we've got ourselves a 50/50 Wake-up Input Reversal Vortex.

The timing on both options can be so sweetly ambiguous the opponent can't tell if they have to reverse the inputs or not for the wake-up to actually come out.

If your opponent learns to respect this ambiguity, the setup leaves them with a single option: Block the crossover Flip Kick. And that's where you Dicks can be creative. Maybe one you guys can tweak the setup to have an option to make the Flip Kick not cross-over?

Final note: If you delay the Flip Kick, the opponent will be able to forward-dash under the Flip Kick. The delayed Flip Kick will still blow up the back-dash and if they wake-up, the wake-up move will most probably whiff because Nightwing will go over it (unless the wake-up has a 360-degree hitbox).

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I don't mean to steal your thunder, but I was trying to find a setup involving u3d3 like 4 days ago. I couldn't get the damn d3 to connect. I am going to try this again on PC since I finally got Injustice redownloaded and see if it's any easier.

Braindead

I don't mean to steal your thunder, but I was trying to find a setup involving u3d3 like 4 days ago. I couldn't get the damn d3 to connect. I am going to try this again on PC since I finally got Injustice redownloaded and see if it's any easier.
U3D3 is so hard to connect after anything other than B3.. I tried with a couple of stuff but didn't get it to connect

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
It's not stealing his thunder when he actually got it to work.

All I see for NW is anti wakeup setups, I don't understand why anyone would wake up against Escrima NW though, not like you can open up someone who knows to block ( and react to EX flipkick shennanigans ) .

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
good stuff reminds me of some typical flash bullshit i come up with :)

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
As much as the Killer Frost players of this site claim she is top 5 and do ridiculous wakeup slides in those situations, preety much this
All I see for NW is anti wakeup setups. I don't understand why anyone would wake up against Escrima NW though, not like you can open up someone who knows how to block and react to EX flipkick shennanigans .

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Also good shit, but we have so much anti wakeup stuff already. Plus until everyone feels comfortable in doing ef b3 without spending bar, this setup requires two bars with the end reward being a guess.

I like it though and will try to use it and see if it can be approved.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
What I have been trying to do is find a way to end a combo that lets Nightwing get a crossup F3 in escrima midscreen.

This would create a very advantageous situation where he would be very plus on block, the opponent would have to commit to holding forward, or he could charge and staff cancel the f3.

I was trying to see if U3D3 would do that and sadly it doesn't seem to. I even tried variations of 113 to space it properly and I cannot quite get it.

Braindead

Also good shit, but we have so much anti wakeup stuff already. Plus until everyone feels comfortable in doing ef b3 without spending bar, this setup requires two bars with the end reward being a guess.

Yeah that's the main problem, spending two bars. However if you do blow up a wake up you'll get like 65% for the 2 bars.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Yeah that's the main problem, spending two bars. However if you do blow up a wake up you'll get like 65% for the 2 bars.
I see where you're saying and I agree, but personally for me I wouldn't go for this unless I had to make a real master comeback.

I dunno, I would rather stick to combos that have greater wall carry and spend bar on MB Staff Spin/MB ground blast etc. Setups are nice and all but wall carry and cornering someone is what wins games.

Braindead

Also I don't see the end reward of this setup as a guess. What I think this setup can lead to is make the opponent fully respect it and not try to wake-up at all. I mean who is ballsy enough to wake-up when he has only a 50% chance of his wake-up actually coming out AND if the wakeup comes out it still has a big chance of getting blown up?

For example if you delay the Flip Kick it will blow up GL's lift everytime. It won't even trade. It gets blown up completely.

I think if this setup is abused enough it can make the opponent respect the knockdown and stay put even if the Flip Kick doesn't come out just for the fear that it might.

Braindead

What I have been trying to do is find a way to end a combo that lets Nightwing get a crossup F3 in escrima midscreen.

This would create a very advantageous situation where he would be very plus on block, the opponent would have to commit to holding forward, or he could charge and staff cancel the f3.

I was trying to see if U3D3 would do that and sadly it doesn't seem to. I even tried variations of 113 to space it properly and I cannot quite get it.
That's what I tried to do when I started messing with the U3D3. I wanted to follow up the knockdown with a cross-over F3 but it would just go over the opponent completely and miss. It would be great if you could get such a setup to work.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Also I don't see the end reward of this setup as a guess. What I think this setup can lead to is make the opponent fully respect it and not try to wake-up at all. I mean who is ballsy enough to wake-up when he has only a 50% chance of his wake-up actually coming out AND if the wakeup comes out it still has a big chance of getting blown up?

For example if you delay the Flip Kick it will blow up GL's lift everytime. It won't even trade. It gets blown up completely.

I think if this setup is abused enough it can make the opponent respect the knockdown and stay put even if the Flip Kick doesn't come out just for the fear that it might.
That's the thing though, what if they don't wakeup? What if they know a crossup flipkick is coming and just decide to block it?

I just spent two bars and I can't pressure after it since MB flipkick is only +1 on block and the only thing fast enough to pressure with is a high.

I see the rewards in it and I'm not saying this is a bad setup, just saying I wouldn't go for it. I appreciate you looking for tech and posting it.

Braindead

That's the thing though, what if they don't wakeup? What if they know a crossup flipkick is coming and just decide to block it?

I just spent two bars and I can't pressure after it since MB flipkick is only +1 on block and the only thing fast enough to pressure with is a high.

I see the rewards in it and I'm not saying this is a bad setup, just saying I wouldn't go for it. I appreciate you looking for tech and posting it.
Nah man don't worry I know you aren't blowing me up lol I want to discuss it.
What I thought about this is maybe it could get tweaked to get something better out of it. For example changing it a bit and have an option to make the Flip Kick not cross over. Or after the knock down trick your opponent, if they think you are going to do a Flip Kick do something like NJ3 Wingdings. They see you going up they think thats a Flip Kick block forward but you don't so you get another 20% dmg. Something like that.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Nah man don't worry I know you aren't blowing me up lol I want to discuss it.
What I thought about this is maybe it could get tweaked to get something better out of it. For example changing it a bit and have an option to make the Flip Kick not cross over. Or after the knock down trick your opponent, if they think you are going to do a Flip Kick do something like NJ3 Wingdings. They see you going up they think thats a Flip Kick block forward but you don't so you get another 20% dmg. Something like that.
I'm always hesitant to do j3 wingdings upclose since they're super negative and I think the safe MB part will go over them if the opponent is too close, but I see what you're saying.

Braindead

I'm always hesitant to do j3 wingdings upclose since they're super negative and I think the safe MB part will go over them if the opponent is too close, but I see what you're saying.
Also how the F do you connect a b3 after a regular EF?! I tried it a gazillion times but never got it to work :S