What's new

Scorpion Beta General Discussion

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
Yeah pretty much. Everything he does is unsafe or has gaps. Even F34 has a gap in it. 112 has a gap and starts high. B14 is -10. Basically all his strings are either punishable on block or have a gap in them. So yeah, Misery Blade is kinda mandatory unfortunately.

However, if you play footsies and reactionary that’s where Scorpion shines. You can get the life lead and then just keep your distance. They can’t zone you out and meter builds automatically anyway so there’s almost no risk in just playing keep away and/or turtling.

This is how I got most of my hatemail, lol. I would get the lead then just keep my distance. If they jumped in from full screen, I could spear, demon dash, or teleport. If they jumped in from around half screen or so, I could do demon dash or do standing 4 into a spear combo. If they jumped in close, just was using uppercut. So basically you force/condition them to not jump. So now they have to walk you down. Once they’re in range you can start playing footsies. Scorpion has pretty good footsies with his D4, B14, F34, B2, etc. Usually I was doing D4 to poke and B14 to whiff punish in footsies. B14 leads to big combos (with meter of course) so it’s really good as a whiff punish. It starting with the back button also helps since you’ll be walking back a lot out of their ranges in footsies.
Yes

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Can they punch out of 212 mid-combo like when you end a string with it to get the crushing blow? Nobody did that to me yet.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
might be semi hard to land initial hit can use other starters for less dmg but I got a simple and cool 2 bar 35% combo:

4, Amp Helleport, 4, Amp Helleport, 4, Demon Dash.

Looks cool too. Doing more hits or using other starters is hell on the damage scaling, lol.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Just wanted to repeat what @Jhonnykiller45 was saying earlier about breakaway being detrimental to Scorpion's combos...

If you're going for an BnB, use his ex spear as a combo starter instead of his ex teleport. Also use ex demon breath as an ender to keep them standing. Remember they can't use any of there defensive options if they're not knockdown.

I spent majority of the stress test using the Chain Reaction default. Death Spin and f3, 2 aren’t safe on block, so I found some good use.

I used Death Spin for whiff punishing and anti-air. The 2nd hit will whiff, but the last hit landing is what’s important.

F3,2 was my bread and butter when I wanted to go on the offensive. It hits M,O,L, and can be canceled after the Overhead. A few things I would do to mixup.;
  • F3 - Tick Throw
  • F3 - B3
  • F3...walk back whiff punish with B1
  • F3,2 xx Spear hit confirm
  • F3,2 for the Knockdown
  • F3,4 Krushing Blow
  • F3,2 xx Death Spin EX on block YOLO
I got some decent footage I’ll post later.

with misery blade his very very good , his standing 3 is also very good anti air and you can do 1 1 and confirm into special.

he has shit ton of gaps though like f34 has a gap you can d1 in between. so is 212

he doesnt really have a real mixup since his overhead is reactible.

his chain reaction varation seemed good at first untill you find out you can mash block and get a perfect block everytime then get launched. Also you can mash fatal blow while blocking and punish scorpion.

dont get me wrong he was my favorite character in the beta

Best Normals:
D1 - 4 are all good.
B1
F3
B3

Gaps:
2,1,*2
F4,*2,*3
F3,*4

Out of the default variations, I felt like Fire Breather was the best overall. Demon Dash & Breath have great utility, also made him safer to play.

Demon Dash can be used as a whiff punisher, anti-air, or combo ender. Demon Breath made a few block strings harder to punish, and the ex version offered + frames. I used it to bully my way out of the corner in a few matches.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Best Normals:
D1 - 4 are all good.
B1
F3
B3

Gaps:
2,1,*2
F4,*2,*3
F3,*4

Out of the default variations, I felt like Fire Breather was the best overall. Demon Dash & Breath have great utility, also made him safer to play.

Demon Dash can be used as a whiff punisher, anti-air, or combo ender. Demon Breath made a few block strings harder to punish, and the ex version offered + frames. I used it to bully my way out of the corner in a few matches.
D4 and D1 are probably his best normals. And yeah, really liked Demon Dash. It’s really versatile. All those things you mentioned plus good in footsies. It’s definitely punishable, tested that aspect a lot. Purposely was abusing it to see how consistently people punished it and it was punished probably 80% of the time on block. But as far as using it as all the other options you mentioned, it’s really good. My loadout wa Misery Blade + Demon Dash. Super fun.

my loadout was misery blade + the njp move i think it was called demon spin not sure though that move is also unsafe af lol but fun to use

D4 and D1 are probably his best normals. And yeah, really liked Demon Dash. It’s really versatile. All those things you mentioned plus good in footsies. It’s definitely punishable, tested that aspect a lot. Purposely was abusing it to see how consistently people punished it and it was punished probably 80% of the time on block. But as far as using it as all the other options you mentioned, it’s really good. My loadout wa Misery Blade + Demon Dash. Super fun.
Most people used Misery Blade + Demon Dash or Breath lol.

I played around with Chain Reaction mostly. The Death Spin should only be used for whiff punishing and Anti-Air. Sucks that Demon Dash does both better and makes it kinda useless. The unique strings are decent though. I just played extremely lame with it lol. Got a few time victories.

I also played around with the Hellfire Spear move. It seemed like it could make block strings safe but don’t quote me lol.

Otherwise, it was only useful being paired with Death Spin.

I think scorpion needs some Buffs. No string is safe on block nothing. The safe strings has huge gaps in them. No special move is safe. The only safe move takes 2 spots and makes all the other useless. You have to spend 2 bars of meter to get like 25% damage

I think scorpion needs some Buffs. No string is safe on block nothing. The safe strings has huge gaps in them. No special move is safe. The only safe move takes 2 spots and makes all the other useless. You have to spend 2 bars of meter to get like 25% damage
Slow down bro lol. It’s too early to be talking character buffs/nerfs.

Honestly, Misery Blade + Demon Dash is all he needs. Misery Blade covers his lack of safe moves, more mixup potential, whiff punishing opportunities, etc.

Demon Dash makes him scarier outside of B2 range. Misery Blade makes B2 safe, which is his farthest reaching normal. On top of that, it covers anti-air. Those 2 moves force footsies. As a bonus, teleport eliminates the threat of projectiles.

He won’t be a noob friendly character by any means. He shines with whiff punishing, so footsies is a must.

Last edited:

iAmOME

Worst NRS player
Slow down bro lol. It’s too early to be talking character buffs/nerfs.

Honestly, Misery Blade + Demon Dash is all he needs. Misery Blade covers his lack of safe moves, more mixup potential, whiff punishing opportunities, etc.

Demon Dash makes him scarier outside of B2 range. Misery Blade makes B2 safe, which is his farthest reaching normal. On top of that, it covers anti-air. Those 2 moves force footsies. As a bonus, teleport eliminates the threat of projectiles.

He won’t be a noob friendly character by any means. He shines with whiff punishing, so footsies is a must.
I do feel like at least b143 should be safe (like it says it is in the frame data). Misery Blade is great and all, but it's a shame you need it to be safe so there's not really room for you to use other abilities you may prefer

I do feel like at least b143 should be safe (like it says it is in the frame data). Misery Blade is great and all, but it's a shame you need it to be safe so there's not really room for you to use other abilities you may prefer
I agree with b143 being safe. Also why did they remove the cancel from this string? Also from the B141 string before the last hit?

this game is different from MKX. You dont have to worry about building meter, so you don't need to constantly apply pressure. Even without safe strings he has plenty to open opponents up. I was mixing up 21 and F3 heavy. I landed F34 krushing blow so many times.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
He doesn’t need anything. Again, stop playing him like other NRS games. If you don’t like things being negative use Misery Blade. Otherwise use him as a zoning and footsie character. Play patiently and defensively.