What's new

Scorpion Beta General Discussion

Haven't played a ton, but I'm loving scorpion. Love his animations, moves, pretty much everything. His d2 is kind of wonky, noticed it the most in a mirror match against scorpion. His Chain reaction move seemed to be hard to deal with at least for me, it covered so much area it felt like I couldn't move. Happy as hell he kept a good d4, I'm so used to it from mk x. I've always been a scorp main but now I've never been happier

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I made a variation using the sword stance and flame breath. Pick up flame breath if you want some more safety + range. Was doing fine in terms of on block stuff.

freerf245

11 11 11 11
Im having a decent time staggering f3, f34 ,and d1s to open them up to throws then the rest of his game usually starts to open up.

Is this just a gimmick? I havent actually looked at any frame data
No his f3 has like no recovery so it’s great for combos and staggers. Mix it with the f32 gear move and it’s crazy good for pressure.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
is the second hit of B2 an overhead?
Pretty sure it is, I hit people with it who are crouch blocking. Although, they could be letting go of block. Unfortunately it’s unsafe though, just like most of his stuff.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Spent yesterday with Skarlet, so today was Scorp day. Am uploading videos of some of the play, I'll link it here:

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Pretty sure it is, I hit people with it who are crouch blocking. Although, they could be letting go of block. Unfortunately it’s unsafe though, just like most of his stuff.
Would you know every attack he can cancel? Because if he can cancel at least the first part of B2 you could circumvent that.

Maybe it's possible to make safe at a distance?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Would you know every attack he can cancel? Because if he can cancel at least the first part of B2 you could circumvent that.

Maybe it's possible to make safe at a distance?
Well he doesn’t have too many specials that are safe either. Misery blade stance is decent but it has some gaps. Gotta test more though.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Well he doesn’t have too many specials that are safe either. Misery blade stance is decent but it has some gaps. Gotta test more though.
Played a Baraka that seemed to know enough to be patient, Anti air, challenge some things. He didn't seem to have answer to flame breath. So I was cancelling everything into that. D4, F4, B1 stuff, etc

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
As a general tip, I advise to not use EX Teleport in combos as long as the opponent has 2 bars of defensive meter. Using strictly only Spear to keep them grounded and avoid any Breakaway shenanigans has worked out pretty decent so far.
Another thing, one of his most underrated moves right now I feel like is the classic style NJP (Air Sin Blade ability), the hitbox on this thing is pretty good as is the damage you can get off of it, I got a 32% (I think) combo pretty easy with that.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Just wanted to update that scorpion was able to D4 punish flame breath, but it might be safe from a distance though. EX seems to be safe on block.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
What strings are y’all doing in neutral? Everything I’ve done has been unsafe. I have to just play footsies with the opponent, it seems very risky to try to apply actual pressure without them just punishing your unsafe strings, or blowing up gaps. Like I started canceling into Misery Blade to make things safe, but you can’t really hit confirm. So you have to commit to going into misery or commit to going for the combo, which the combo if blocked is unsafe. Is F3,4 safe? Been using that a lot but I’m not sure if it’s actually safe or not. I still don’t know all of his strings so that might be an issue. Also 112 seems safe but again, not sure. It also starts high though.

His teleport is pretty good as usual. If they’re in chip damage territory you’re pretty much guaranteed a win. Unless people find a way to counter it without blocking. Too fast to react to, so flawless blocking is kinda out of the question especially online. You can use it on reaction to a lot of things too, but it does have a pretty good amount of startup so you have to know the ranges otherwise you will be stuffed before you actually teleport.

Been using the Demon Dash and it’s really good if you play Scorpion as a footsie based character. You can be playing footsies and see them press a button then go into demon dash. It has good range and does ok damage. It’s definitely unsafe though. I kept testing how unsafe it was against ProudDisciple and he was punishing it every time.

Misery Blade is good but there’s such a huge gap between going into stance then going into a stance attack. The biggest use I’ve had for it is just canceling strings into it then canceling it. The low you get from it is quick and has decent range, so does the overhead. But both are definitely unsafe. Not sure if the aplified move has armor or anything, but I believe it’s an overhead too. The little poke you get from it is decent but haven’t gotten a chance to really test it out yet.

At least all his normals are decent. D1, D2, D3, and especially D4 are all good.

Just curious how y’all are handling his neutral. It seems like I’ve tried everything and it’s all very risky. However it could be like that with most characters in this game, have no idea. Really need a training mode lol

So I've grinded this beta pretty hard and have a good feel for all 3 characters - with scorpion misery blade is very strong and opens up your strings otherwise he's super unsafe and you have to be pokey.. 1. F34 is your safe string, you can stagger f3 on occasion and reset, poke or bait a poke . 2. B14 is ur go to string for trip guard and whiff punishes and general checks...most used string... If you see b1 hit, confirm to tp otherwise you have to misery blade. The majority of the time just cancel or use 3 to check, be weary get a feel for 3s range ... Cancels really good for setting up whiff punishes or going into b14 again if they aren't conditioned. I also on occasion stagger a single b1 but you have to space it. 3. B2 musery blade is amazing if spaced right, just hit confirm into 4 and cancel to maintain spacing on block. Occasionallt throw the mix. Great for chasing knockdowns far away and post d4 on hit. 4. F42 is to be used sparingly I think, catch them walking back or just off guard has really poor cancel adv and gaps. 5. 212 is good if you think they will block has a gap after 21, it's plus 7 so f3 is solid follow up. 6. 11 standard safe jab check I think 112s punishable I also got some mileage with the chain variation, not great up close, but if you properly space and max range the chain special its insane. It cant be jumped or punished on block by misery blade scorpions. It pretty much destroys neutral. Need to test it vs baraka( he can at least blade charge) and skarlet. -ninja edit - don't ex the chain spinny move unless ur ending the round or don't care about a punish and want chip.

Last edited:

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
You can blow up frame breath with F4 (Baraka) both ex and normal.

212(I think) in flame breath variation has a gap before his jumping superman punch. It is +7 on block but I constantly D1/D2 it.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
People are getting super upset when you play Scorpion patiently. But you kinda have to. Basically everything he does is not only negative but punisable. Yes he has a couplw of safe options and misery blade keeps you safe. But you have to play the spacing, footsie, and poke game with him and also counter zone. Which I don’t mind that at all, but people think of Scorpion as a rushdown character and he really isn’t in MK11. I really enjoy how he plays it’s just a little frustrating that I have to play reactionary only, outside of misery stance of course.

If most characters are like this I’m completely fine with it. And who knows maybe he’s a little different in the beta and a little different in the full game. To clarify, not asking for any changes. Just making observations.

Prima Italia

Italia per sempre
Is Misery Blade practically mandatory to play Scorpion without constantly getting blown up? Feels like you have to work twice as hard as Baraka and Skarlet to get damage with Scorpion.

Kokoko

Somehow
Played 200+ games. It seems like you should be very patient and punish other players for their mistakes, can't press your buttons in the neutral and be aggressive all the time. His stance is the only really great tool, everything else... A lot of unsafe specials and strings with gaps - F34, F42, 212. The last one is especially annoying. Your opponent can interrupt your 21_2 with a standing 1 and get a full combo. There is no point to respect the full string and I think that people are going to learn how to do it consistently soon.

Anyway, Scorpion is the most enjoyable character in the beta for me. I'm not sure that I will pick him in the full game, but he is different compared to MKX and I like it.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Is Misery Blade practically mandatory to play Scorpion without constantly getting blown up? Feels like you have to work twice as hard as Baraka and Skarlet to get damage with Scorpion.
Yeah pretty much. Everything he does is unsafe or has gaps. Even F34 has a gap in it. 112 has a gap and starts high. B14 is -10. Basically all his strings are either punishable on block or have a gap in them. So yeah, Misery Blade is kinda mandatory unfortunately.

However, if you play footsies and reactionary that’s where Scorpion shines. You can get the life lead and then just keep your distance. They can’t zone you out and meter builds automatically anyway so there’s almost no risk in just playing keep away and/or turtling.

This is how I got most of my hatemail, lol. I would get the lead then just keep my distance. If they jumped in from full screen, I could spear, demon dash, or teleport. If they jumped in from around half screen or so, I could do demon dash or do standing 4 into a spear combo. If they jumped in close, just was using uppercut. So basically you force/condition them to not jump. So now they have to walk you down. Once they’re in range you can start playing footsies. Scorpion has pretty good footsies with his D4, B14, F34, B2, etc. Usually I was doing D4 to poke and B14 to whiff punish in footsies. B14 leads to big combos (with meter of course) so it’s really good as a whiff punish. It starting with the back button also helps since you’ll be walking back a lot out of their ranges in footsies.