What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Save Cage, hotfix ideas

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Pre patch it always seemed like Kebshi potentially be a bad MU with the right buffs for Cage.

How is the MU now?

I ask you because you play both
I still have not played any A-List post patch. Both Balanced and A-List got significantly worse. Now Cage has more problems to get in and establish pressure, but Balanced exrk removal also has been devastating and only true way to put Cage away when he's in now is expush... I'm not sure yet.

Fisticuffs now probably destroys Balanced even more than before, and also Kenjutsu.

Possessed is the way to go vs any Cage in this meta imo. And vs almost any character lol.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
I still have not played any A-List post patch. Both Balanced and A-List got significantly worse. Now Cage has more problems to get it and establish pressure, but Balanced exrk removal also has been devastating and only true way to put Cage away when he's in is expush... I'm not sure yet.

Fisticuffs probably destroys Balanced even more now, and also Kenjutsu.

Possessed is the way to go vs any Cage in this meta imo. And vs almost any character lol.
If Fisticuffs still destroyed than so does Alist

Fisticuffs is a lot better now and viable
But he's still redundant

The only thing Fisti had over is a scarier zoning game because chip but I'd rather use stamina as a resource over meter anyway

ismael4790

If Fisticuffs still destroyed than so does Alist

Fisticuffs is a lot better now and viable
But he's still redundant

The only thing Fisti had over is a scarier zoning game because chip but I'd rather use stamina as a resource over meter anyway
The "ghost" buff of fisticuffs is armor launchers removal. He doesn't give a shit now about people armoring through speedbag gap, he can go more ham.

Also he can use stamina to get in, and his speedbag is intact when he arrives. A-List, now more than ever, can't abuse of stamina to run. Also, as you say, fisti has the best zoning when fistbump is enabled. And finally 113 string has more utility due to fistbump buff, same as f3. It costs meter though.

Not saying fisti is fantastic, he's just good, but the other two went many steps down.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
The "ghost" buff of fisticuffs is armor launchers removal. He doesn't give a shit now about people armoring through speedbag gap, he can go more ham.

Also he can use stamina to get in, and his speedbag is intact when he arrives. A-List, now more than ever, can't abuse of stamina to run. Also, as you say, fisti has the best zoning when fistbump is enabled. And finally 113 string has more utility due to fistbump buff, same as f3. It costs meter though.

Not saying fisti is fantastic, he's just good, but the other two went many steps down.
As of now do you think Fisti could be his best variation?

I can't see it, he's why too meter dependant

Oh what's this ghost buff?

ismael4790

Imo best is fisticuffs, but not by much, and specially because the other two got worse. I think the worst and most criminally nerfed is Stunt Double.

With ghost buff i meant that "buff" many pressure chars with gapped strings got: the possibility to go more ham, because, unless you are fighting vs a char with two bar armor launcher, if you get armor interrupted you usually are not eating more than 14%.

This less fear for armor is also the main reason why possessed has climbed a bit: he gets away more often with his teleport gimmicks because no armor launchers in general.

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
I guess nerfing your OP-broken main must be painful.
This is how it goes dude,deal with it.

ismael4790

I guess nerfing your OP-broken main must be painful.
This is how it goes dude,deal with it.
Don't be like that man... Nerfing characters to the ground is never the answer.

Mileena is an example of well nerfed character. She's still threatening, but not as stupidly good as before. Stunt double is an example of awfully nerfed character. A-list probably too.

I'm shaking my head at the Cage nerfs. As per tradition, NRS is shifting tiers around on purpose rather than trying to balance the characters. A List Cage was pretty much absent from tournament level play (and obviously lesser players wouldn't exactly steamroll anyone with such a technical character), so this is beyond ridiculous.

kelevra

Steel cable bungee jumper
I'm shaking my head at the Cage nerfs. As per tradition, NRS is shifting tiers around on purpose rather than trying to balance the characters. A List Cage was pretty much absent from tournament level play (and obviously lesser players wouldn't exactly steamroll anyone with such a technical character), so this is beyond ridiculous.
A-List wasnt represented as much in tournaments because he was overshadowed by how dumb other characters were and maybe because of the execution gap. That doesnt change the fact that the shit we were able to put people through was stupid. They just took it way too far with the nerf instead of toning him down slightly.

llabslb

R1D1_998
Its the fact that delay only applies on blockstun. Yes, other cancel character may have gotten some delay but cage got it the worst. having two massively different cancel timings for block and hit makes it impossible to confirm into full combos when you open your opponent up. But I guess it's okay, A-List and Cage must repent for his sins :)

Zionix

AKA Ponkster

His meter build is godly. 114 fistibuffs is 2/3 a bar. You can just build a bar if you don't have one.

Mantis you would LOVE fisticuffs.

Don't underestimate B1 makes cages staggers FAR better than 11 or 12

ismael4790

His meter build is godly. 114 fistibuffs is 2/3 a bar. You can just build a bar if you don't have one.

Mantis you would LOVE fisticuffs.

Don't underestimate B1 makes cages staggers FAR better than 11 or 12
Don't get too excited either lol. He's decent, but many people don't know the matchup and may lead you to think he's better than he is, be careful.

He's one of those variations that obliterates people that have no clue about it.

SmokingWarrior

France règle
Its the fact that delay only applies on blockstun. Yes, other cancel character may have gotten some delay but cage got it the worst. having two massively different cancel timings for block and hit makes it impossible to confirm into full combos when you open your opponent up. But I guess it's okay, A-List and Cage must repent for his sins :)
What sins :eek: ?

A-list players bust their ass to learn the timing of each and every single run cancel combos as possible on hit and on block over a year and a half while some people player much more broken characters, mashing buttons and whinning because they don't know where block button and how to backsah (for the Nutpunch EX) and we are the one who must pay for our sins ? :eek:

Now even kitana has a better pressure than A-list :eek:

ismael4790

What sins :eek: ?

A-list players bust their ass to learn the timing of each and every single run cancel combos as possible on hit and on block over a year and a half while some people player much more broken characters, mashing buttons and whinning because they don't know where block button and how to backsah (for the Nutpunch EX) and we are the one who must pay for our sins ? :eek:

Now even kitana has a better pressure than A-list :eek:
:eek: I love that face lol

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
Don't be like that man... Nerfing characters to the ground is never the answer.

Mileena is an example of well nerfed character. She's still threatening, but not as stupidly good as before. Stunt double is an example of awfully nerfed character. A-list probably too.
You mean that f3 being plus 1.000.000 didn't deserve a nerfed to death.

Wigy

There it is...
His defence is not the worst in the game. Stop making outlandish claims. If they wana sit low unblocked, backdash. If they wana spam low pokes block low and f3 them. He has options, hunter predator has fuck all.

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
His defence is not the worst in the game. Stop making outlandish claims. If they wana sit low unblocked, backdash. If they wana spam low pokes block low and f3 them. He has options, hunter predator has fuck all.
His best poke is stubby and is 7 frames and -9 on block and its like plus 10 on hit.

His only armor move, is not only a high but fully combo punishable.

If you can find me a character that is worse off than this than it is in fact your claim that is outlandish

Wigy

There it is...
His best poke is stubby and is 7 frames and -9 on block and its like plus 10 on hit.

His only armor move, is not only a high but fully combo punishable.

If you can find me a character that is worse off than this than it is in fact your claim that is outlandish
Hunter predator.

Armour breakable and leads to nothing on hit. Legitimately nothing to be scared of, you should always attack him on wakeup if u have an armour breaking opener.

Jc his defence still means on knockdown you cannot press him.

Im totally with you that jc sucks ass right now, i just dont want the discussion to make silly claims that arent true, we wont be taken seriously that way.

Hes a rushdown characters with gheeeeetto ass pressure, bad pokes under pressure, ghetto AF mixups now. No reason to use him over jax and liu now in my opinion.

On paper how can a rushdown character with a bad d1 and d3 have a 9frame high as his fastest move. It makes no sense.

If someone is standing right next to me low unblocked i ex flip them, if they're spaced back, i backdash. If i'm in the corner i basically just gotta hold it but they cant press me from fear of SK.

Last edited:

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
Hunter predator.

Armour breakable and leads to nothing on hit. Legitimately nothing to be scared of, you should always attack him on wakeup if u have an armour breaking opener.

Jc his defence still means on knockdown you cannot press him.

Im totally with you that jc sucks ass right now, i just dont want the discussion to make silly claims that arent true, we wont be taken seriously that way.

Hes a rushdown characters with gheeeeetto ass pressure, bad pokes under pressure, ghetto AF mixups now. No reason to use him over jax and liu now in my opinion.

On paper how can a rushdown character with a bad d1 and d3 have a 9frame high as his fastest move. It makes no sense.

If someone is standing right next to me low unblocked i ex flip them, if they're spaced back, i backdash. If i'm in the corner i basically just gotta hold it but they cant press me from fear of SK.
I don't think Cage sucks at all. I just said his defense is bad; which it is.

Still love cage.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Give him mid armor and it might be acceptable, but as it stands he is way too weak when defending.

And to be fair, I never asked for the old pressure...I just want to be able to execute my stuff properly though
Well you could also look at it this way, like you said he has a 7f poke, so he's not the worst defense wise. If people are just ducking under the shadow kick that gets you your turn back if you block their d4s.

Also, you have a d4 that still low profiles everything and you're complaining about people goin under you on wakeup? :p

He's STILL stronger defensively than a character like Lao and Lao is pretty good now.
because lao can't run in right now and f2 like a lunatic and get pressure hmmmmm
obviously not as good as what cage could do but this mentality doesn't justify what they did to run cancels because run cancel characters already had to worry more about spacing more than other types of characters because of stamina before this shit
OFC its not as good or even comparable

f2 is - on block first off, doesnt combo on trade, has a worse hitbox and can only be made + in 1 variation.
Lao doesnt just run in with his fastest mid launcher that also gives him frame traps for nothing more than the cost of stamina.

Before run cancel characters had 3 opportunities to throw, just for you being in a slightly minus situation, now they have 2 chances, still not enough for you?

Footsies are massively enhanced when your neutral has a ground AND air game. With little to no air threat that cage has its not as easy as you make it out to be.

Also there is no pressure after F3 (even when at full stamina) its jail a 1 11 or risk a full combo punishable 113 which you can't hit confirm; all of which is a high and easily disrespected. 12 dash cancel is minus so that is not a good option and if you choose not to cancel it then your gonna get poked out or back-dashed. All his other shit is too slow to jail and all highs not to mention cage has no safe special without meter. You can also do 114 but it whiffs on much of the cast its just not reliable.

Cage isn't Lao he can't shotgun B3 in the neutral or stagger windmill punches to condition throws or jump around with the threat of divekick. Same crap with Mileena, Cage in a-list doesn't have those character tools to play with; and getting in range is hard enough as it is.

Now fisticuffs is a different beast. B1 can be shotgunned, its a 10 frame mid thats -3 and leads to full combo. Here you can condition throws and make your opponent scared to push a button its range is shocking but as it stand it might be cages best offensive tool.
Sorry but this is wrong, Cage has more options to condition throw than Lao does, do you know what the other option is rather than jailing? Throw. But NO Cage players throw nearly enough. You have a move that near enough guarantees a throw attempt every single time, and all you lot wanna do is block strings.

Not even applying his offense correctly, just trying to be flashy most of the time.

Last edited:

omooba

fear the moobs
f2 is - on block first off, doesnt combo on trade, has a worse hitbox and can only be made + in 1 variation.
Lao doesnt just run in with his fastest mid launcher that also gives him frame traps for nothing more than the cost of stamina.

Before run cancel characters had 3 opportunities to throw, just for you being in a slightly minus situation, now they have 2 chances, still not enough for you?
actually f2 can be made plus in 2 variations not counting ex hatarang plus 6 with a hole making it every variation. lao in general has better spacing than cage. can run in or jump in or use a teleport with hat spin or hat grinder watching his back into one of the best stagger pressure in the game while no having to worry about loosing pressure or combo strings. and before you say cage can just run in and get 2 opportunities to throw please look at how much he can run and still be able to run cancel. he can't go the distance of lao's f2 and still be able to run cancel and the frame data on his cancels have been toned down a lot like come on it's way more likely for lao to get in for free and pressure than cage and knee isn't safe unlike f2 infact there's no button lao should be pressing that's unsafe while cage will still need to do f3,4 with not enough stamina to run cancel and be unsafe. shit after one run cancel the man looses a majority of his starters infact after running the distance of lao's f2 he looses all meterless starters other than f2. imagine if i said everytime you press the run button your only meterless starter was b3 bruh and even with meter he can't hit confirm it what is this