What's new

Strategy Rush Down Sub Zero vs Sektor

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
F2 ending on 0 really means nothing. His 6 frame jab can be poked out of and there is no reason for sub to not d1 after the f2. Sure I can link f2 into flame, but the moment he sees me not do flame... d1 time and I can't do shit.
Your d+1 is faster than his and your d+3 is a 50/50 trade with his d+1. Or you can block his d+1 and punish it or force him to block after. It shouldn't be hard to make him respect your blocked f+2.

f+2 is ridiculous.

Gilbagz

Joker here~
SwiftTomHanks

Lol, first thing i wanna say is THAT MATCH AGAINST TOM BRADY WAS HYPE, "MORE FIRE"
anyways wow i didn't know any of that. There is absolutely no scene in Australia at all so I barely know any match ups lol besides the most common characters.
But off a jip, if you make people block the b+3 every time, they'll come to expect it. Won't that extra half second of hesitation give you enough time to leg lift into the overhead since the b+3 looks similar to the leg lift? And off the leg lift can't you go straight back into the b+3 if need be? Just mix up the timings on the b+3, leg lift overhead/b+3.
I don't really play sektor so this purely theory. But yeah would that work?

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
If you read they're gonna throw after a blocked EX TPU duck the throw and punish with a full combo. I'm sorry you can't have an absolutely free way out of the corner.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Your d+1 is faster than his and your d+3 is a 50/50 trade with his d+1. Or you can block his d+1 and punish it or force him to block after. It shouldn't be hard to make him respect your blocked f+2.

f+2 is ridiculous.
Not to get all theory fighter with you. But lets say he respects my d1 after a blocked f2 and returns with his own d1 into ice clone cancel. Now he can began his d4 pressure and everything is reset.

Am I missing something. While I wouldn't say f2 is bad, I can't see how it's ridiculous. Also f2 flame is unsafe on block for characters who have fast advancing specials (Sub Zero). f2 also gets stuffed from d4's.

Truth

Noob
lol no i worded it wrong
after smoke does 3, d+1, 2 or 3,2. And i read hes going to try jump kick teleport, what wins. His jump kick or my njp lol. I realise now i can just uppercut or d+4/d+1 lol. But yeah what wins the njp or jumpkick teleport.
From what I have read in Smoke's frame data, an instant jump kick from Smoke is 14 frames, meaning you have enough time to D4 or even 22 him when he jumps. You should wait until Somberness gets the frame data complied for Smoke to accurately judge. One thing about Smoke after 3D12, he is even on block and most likely going to follow it up with D3 which I believe is 7 frames, meaning if you want to stop him from D3'ing you, you must hit him with a D3 or D1 (which are both 7 frames). The trade system is strange in this game so Smoke might be out your poke attempt. Again, you'll have to wait for Somberness to truly get an idea of what to do against Smoke close range (see what's adv, what's disadv., etc.).

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I think you just need to figure out that Sektors 1,1 is a punishing thing. You have to create situations that are favorable. Sub can't touch Sektor at certain ranges... mainly when you were spitting out flame-thrower... it should have been a b1 or a f2. Once you get Sub to respect that, really the match is whoever can guess right.
Subs d4 is his best footsie tool, because on block I can make it safe. However, your b1 reaches further and comes out super fast. I basically have to treat it as an advancing special.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
i really cant see how you can claim sektor is dropping out of tournament viability when he has the tools he has.

i mean this with no disrespect, but do you not think you might simply just be using him wrong? like at the start of the very first round you pretty much walked yourself right back into the corner from the getgo.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Why didn't he jump over and jip everytime u d4? I mean there was no ice clone, he should've jumped instead of stayin their and takin all the chip!
We went back and took this to the lab more. Jumping out at the right time when the clone is absent is the key. With that said it's still risky since you can get caught by Sub's 22.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Not to get all theory fighter with you. But lets say he respects my d1 after a blocked f2 and returns with his own d1 into ice clone cancel. Now he can began his d4 pressure and everything is reset.

Am I missing something. While I wouldn't say f2 is bad, I can't see how it's ridiculous. Also f2 flame is unsafe on block for characters who have fast advancing specials (Sub Zero). f2 also gets stuffed from d4's.

You want him to respect your d+1. It means you can start throwing him or whatever.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
f+2 begins a guessing game in your favor on hit and BLOCK from hella far away, is relatively fast, and hits mid. What more do you need in a move?

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
i really cant see how you can claim sektor is dropping out of tournament viability when he has the tools he has.

i mean this with no disrespect, but do you not think you might simply just be using him wrong? like at the start of the very first round you pretty much walked yourself right back into the corner from the getgo.
I question myself playing Sektor wrong very often. The fact that I have to admit my success has been due to people's ignorance says something.

I play Death's Sub Zero unlike any other character (well, I back peddle against Smoke as well). I can't see how Sektor can pressure Sub, and I'm trying to minimize the amount of meter he builds from the d4 and 21 storm while building as much as I can to aid me from escaping the corner.

----

Concerning Sektor in general

The strings that are only worth doing once jailed from a jip are: 122, 12b1, 124, 11b1.
When someone blocks b34 low they can interrupt the 4 for a full combo. This is safe from a perfect distance however.
f2 gets shut down by d4's.
b1 can be easily jumped around.
b21 doesn't really lead to anything.
f4 is just too slow imo.
21 has T-rex arms.

When putting it out like that, how does one not feel limited? Where does one go from here concerning Sektor's pressure when someone knows all this information.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
they cannot d+4 a f+2 on reaction. They're throwing it out. That means you can play footsies and punish whiffed d+4 with f+2.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
f+4 begins a guessing game in your favor on hit and BLOCK from hella far away, is relatively fast, and hits mid. What more do you need in a move?
f4? You must mean f2. f4 has shit range and is pretty slow. After a blocked f2, there is no reason your opponent shouldn't just d1. Worse case scenario they get hit by your d1. If you know they are going to d1, jumping over may catch you in an anti air. And backing up cleans the slate. You can't do two f2's on block without getting interrupted by a poke.

I'm not here to claim that Sektor needs to be better. Doing that doesn't make me a better player. Searching for answers to my weakness does - that's why I'm here.

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
I question myself playing Sektor wrong very often. The fact that I have to admit my success has been due to people's ignorance says something.

I play Death's Sub Zero unlike any other character (well, I back peddle against Smoke as well). I can't see how Sektor can pressure Sub, and I'm trying to minimize the amount of meter he builds from the d4 and 21 storm while building as much as I can to aid me from escaping the corner.

----

Concerning Sektor in general

The strings that are only worth doing once jailed from a jip are: 122, 12b1, 124, 11b1.
When someone blocks b34 low they can interrupt the 4 for a full combo. This is safe from a perfect distance however.
f2 gets shut down by d4's.
b1 can be easily jumped around.
b21 doesn't really lead to anything.
f4 is just too slow imo.
21 has T-rex arms.

When putting it out like that, how does one not feel limited? Where does one go from here concerning Sektor's pressure when someone knows all this information.
well then really sektor doesnt seem to be intended as an offensive heavy character, his defensive options are still fantastic, and he can net huge damage off of almost anything, also being able to instant air every projectile in the game on reaction makes him outzonable by most of the cast. his upmissiles are a huge part to his defensive play, and theyre slower with human sektor arent they? maybe thats where you're going wrong.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
f4? You must mean f2. f4 has shit range and is pretty slow. After a blocked f2, there is no reason your opponent shouldn't just d1. Worse case scenario they get hit by your d1. If you know they are going to d1, jumping over may catch you in an anti air. And backing up cleans the slate. You can't do two f2's on block without getting interrupted by a poke.

I'm not here to claim that Sektor needs to be better. Doing that doesn't make me a better player. Searching for answers to my weakness does - that's why I'm here.

Yes I meant f+2.

All these scenarios you're worried about have solutions. You can't win if you're so comservative you won't play a guessing game at neutral on block!

The blocked standing cutter with Kitana is also neutral on block. Her f+2,1 is even slower and -1 on block. These are considered reasons she's top tier.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Ok. I like this suggestion a lot. Thank you.

Once you've established that you'll punish whiffed d+4's they'll start blocking. Opening up your offense(dash up d+4, throw, ect). If I played Sektor I wouldn't be trying to pressure with his high jab strings. I'd play a spacing/footsies game like Kitana.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Once you've established that you'll punish whiffed d+4's they'll start blocking. Opening up your offense(dash up d+4, throw, ect). If I played Sektor I wouldn't be trying to pressure with his high jab strings. I'd play a spacing/footsies game like Kitana.
That's how I play Sektor, but I find myself back peddeling too much. I walk myself into corners against aggressive characters.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
well then really sektor doesnt seem to be intended as an offensive heavy character, his defensive options are still fantastic, and he can net huge damage off of almost anything, also being able to instant air every projectile in the game on reaction makes him outzonable by most of the cast. his upmissiles are a huge part to his defensive play, and theyre slower with human sektor arent they? maybe thats where you're going wrong.
Are they slower? I'll have to ask Somberness if he would test that for me. Even if they were the d1 combo and faster strait missiles are really hard to pass up on.

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
Are they slower? I'll have to ask Somberness if he would test that for me. Even if they were the d1 combo and faster strait missiles are really hard to pass up on.
im not sure man, they LOOK slower, but i dont know for certain, start up time i mean.