What's new

General/Other - Ronin Ronin General Discussion Thread

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Clearly I'm new but I don't see what what you're trying to show here?
What's happening is that sometimes the Blade Kall will hit twice on block which he's around -8 or so (mostly safe) as to if it hits on block once it's less safer (around -14 or so) and you're more suspectible to being full combo punished.

SnowboardRX

^ You have no idea who this guy is ^
What's happening is that sometimes the Blade Kall will hit twice on block which he's around -8 or so (mostly safe) as to if it hits on block once it's less safer (around -14 or so) and you're more suspectible to being full combo punished.
Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Durango

Enhancer
Okay, so I just went through the Tower with Takeda. I'm going to compile some of the combos I've seen through the thread as well as my thoughts so far:

-B2 1 2+4 is definitely his best starter. Love the overhead.
-B2 1 2+4 into DF1 is a good meterless combo.
-44 BF2 (EX), Run, 44 DF1 is also good. In the corner, replace Run with NJ1 (36%).
- B1, B2, F3, and 4 are great at a distance. F1 2 is also good for spacing and briefly stunning an opponent
-BF4 is the primary wakeup move. You can use it to get away or to overhead someone and punish. I believe the EX version also has invincibility frames.
-Any of his Blade Drop combos are risky. Missing it means you lose meter, which is a bad thing. Accidentally holding back too long also makes it Short Blade Drop, which is also a bad thing. Requires strict input.

Looking for a few things, though.

-More corner combos
-Utilization of his projectile (DF3) as well as integration of it into combos
-B112 combos
-Practical integration of BF4 outside of wakeup.

SnowboardRX

Looking for a few things, though.

-Utilization of his projectile (DF3) as well as integration of it into combos
Something I found with his DF3 that I thought was really cool was how if you use the EX version against an opponent who is throwing projectiles (Haven't tested all projectiles, though), it actually disintegrates their projectile and continues on hitting the opponent. Then I'll usually run in after that.

EDIT: Can confirm it does nothing against bullets, however (ex. Jacqui)

Last edited:

AssassiN

Noob
Something I found with his DF3 that I thought was really cool was how if you use the EX version against an opponent who is throwing projectiles (Haven't tested all projectiles, though), it actually disintegrates their projectile and continues on hitting the opponent. Then I'll usually run in after that.
Oh damn, I didn't know that. That is cool, thanks.

Durango

Enhancer
That's great to know. Sub-Zero can do the same thing with his as well.

I really like this variation. I loved Takeda aesthetically but with everyone using the Ryu variation I just saw him as a keep away character and that's not how I like to play.

Still maining A List Johnny but will also play a little bit of Takeda on the side. His blade drop and recall cancels are extremely interesting. Teleports are boring af.

So a person by the name of Hayateilolol brought this video up to me during one of wonder chef's streams.

now, there is a trick to this and it's a very weird and dumb one that requires more execution than you're used to with this variation and its that your stance affects your follow-ups and combo route. There's also gender specific rules to this combo as well as rules towards bigger bodied characters.

On all normal males (Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Johnny Cage, etc) you get the following combo routes:

Camera facing towards you: B21 or B3 xx Close Blade Drop xx Blade Return, F122+4 xx ender of choice. 25%
Camera facing behind you: B21 or B3 xx Normal Blade Drop xx Blade Return, D2 24%

On all females (Cassie Cage, D'Vorah, Jacqui, etc) you get the following routes:

Camera facing towards you: B21 or B3 xx Close Blade Drop xx Blade Return, F12+4 xx ender of choice
Camera behind you: standard route due to blade return getting all the hits

Key note for Females, Kitana and Sonya's tiny frames make this combo extra difficult on them.

And for Ferra/Torr, you switch your combo route for males. Camera facing towards, d2 combo. Camera away, full combo.

This requires a little more execution but pumps Takeda's damage in this variation by a potential 7% or higher as opposed to just doing B212+4 xx blade drop xx return or B3 into that. However, it's only worth doing for meterless damage as doing an EN Blade return in the combo routes nets you an extra 3% (for now, at least). Hoping one of the other 3 Ronin players out there can mess with this and try to see if we can pump up our 1 bar damage so that this version of Takeda finally has real ass damage.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
I had been playing around with Ronin in practice for a while but it wasn't till today I found out how much fun he is in actual games and how viable he really is, something I do more often when playing him in this variation as opposed to Shirai Ryu is use his F21 or F12 more, not always but definitely more.
I've been using 33 a little less than usual as his B21 & 212 are really satisfying in this variation.

His reflect is one thing i'll have to spend some time on, it's not so instant like Kenshi's or other reflects in FGs i'm used to there is a whole lot of startup frames for sure which makes it hard to time with projectiles, His projectile is godlike though!
It straight up reminds me of Shazams projectile except how I wish Shazams was, now the regular version pretty much is the same a 7% projectile than can be ducked, however the EX is a beam and not a projectile, It can't be reflected I don't believe and like mentioned before phases through and eliminates some projectiles along with this it'll now hit those ducking opponents and comes out just as fast, it's perfect for snuffing wakeups too!

I'm going to be spending alot of time with this variation, it sure does offer alot more when you're forced to play someone who can't straight up beat your range game in the other variations (ex. Kung jin is just far to fast and furios for SR Takeda to abuse his range) therefore I think this more setup based variation would help cover that matchup.

You guys should really be looking into abusing ground sword in the corner the best ways you can as that's always a strong option in this variation.

^ I'd advise use of 33 xx Quick Kall, as I tested last night and found out that's also plus on block.

whenever i corner an opponent, i generally drop my blade and start pressuring with f122+4 xx return (cancel first hit of 2+4), f3, f21, etc. Really only use the return when I think they're gonna try to armor out.

Slayhawk84

Yup, still a noob.
So a person by the name of Hayateilolol brought this video up to me during one of wonder chef's streams.

now, there is a trick to this and it's a very weird and dumb one that requires more execution than you're used to with this variation and its that your stance affects your follow-ups and combo route. There's also gender specific rules to this combo as well as rules towards bigger bodied characters.

On all normal males (Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Johnny Cage, etc) you get the following combo routes:

Camera facing towards you: B21 or B3 xx Close Blade Drop xx Blade Return, F122+4 xx ender of choice. 25%
Camera facing behind you: B21 or B3 xx Normal Blade Drop xx Blade Return, D2 24%

On all females (Cassie Cage, D'Vorah, Jacqui, etc) you get the following routes:

Camera facing towards you: B21 or B3 xx Close Blade Drop xx Blade Return, F12+4 xx ender of choice
Camera behind you: standard route due to blade return getting all the hits

Key note for Females, Kitana and Sonya's tiny frames make this combo extra difficult on them.

And for Ferra/Torr, you switch your combo route for males. Camera facing towards, d2 combo. Camera away, full combo.

This requires a little more execution but pumps Takeda's damage in this variation by a potential 7% or higher as opposed to just doing B212+4 xx blade drop xx return or B3 into that. However, it's only worth doing for meterless damage as doing an EN Blade return in the combo routes nets you an extra 3% (for now, at least). Hoping one of the other 3 Ronin players out there can mess with this and try to see if we can pump up our 1 bar damage so that this version of Takeda finally has real ass damage.
The combo routes also get switched depending if you are on P1 or P2 side (left or right side of the screen).

jordan ewell

BlakBoywonder
Decided to hit up the lab and learn the Ronin variation, didn't know I would fall in love with this version of Takeda.

To start things off B212+4 xx DB1 leaves you at +2 on block (so with MKX's system it's +3 if they decide mash out with a normal) allowing them to mash out with a 7 frame poke if you decide to use your D1, however there many ways to earn respect from your opponent as to allow continued pressure.

One of your options is instant air NJ2 catches even 5 frame D1's (if they recover in about 15 frames) which allows for a quick meter less punish, however this can be risky because you risk giving up pressure for a punish attempt that can lead to you eating a full combo, thankfully this isn't your only option.

While the blade is set, Takeda's DB1 starts up in 6 frames (can be enhanced for full combo) and has the amazing trait of being a multi hit move which breaks armor. This is your go to option for getting them to respect multiple pressure strings that aren't granting you advantage after setting DB1 (at the moment I've only gotten B212+4 to succeed) and allows for some very creative scenarios to put your opponent in.

Now that you have it set you can gain access to using Quick Call which allows strings such as F21 and F122+4 to have advantage on block +2/3 and +4/5 (traded with Kotals D3 which is 6 frames with raw F1) respectively. I haven't been able to go into the specific examples on the strings (everything that is possible with B2122+4 xx DB1 should work with F21 xx DF1) but it lead to some interesting pressure options, I'll be sure to look into it when possible.

I made it quick video testing a lot of strings plus the ones mentioned and with a little example of the possible pressure with special cancels at the end.

EDIT: Thankfully there are miscalculations with strings canceled into Quick Call. F122+4 xx Quick Call is +6/7 and F21 xx Quick Call is +4/5.
I'm a Liu kang main but I've been messing with ronin takeda. This is some awesome stuff you got here man. Kudos

Dasblackman

The struggle is real
Really really loving this character, but I'm having trouble with the f122+4 cancels and the b212+4 cancels. Is there a specific timing to use?

SnowboardRX

Anyone notice after this last patch that his reflect got much better? It seems to come out quick now and the timing of when it reflects something seems longer. ....or maybe I'm just crazy lol

Percimon

Sky above, Voice within
Yes, you are deadly right! So, here we are again:

1) High starter 50% combos and low starter 45% combo:

2) Takeda can punish teleport (in reversal mode) with his blade. But it doesn't work with Scorpion's teleport:

3) Takeda's setups with bladedrop and throws, backdash, njp:

Shords

Noob
Anyone notice after this last patch that his reflect got much better? It seems to come out quick now and the timing of when it reflects something seems longer. ....or maybe I'm just crazy lol
Yeah, the reflect is SOOO much better now. You can actually use it on reaction now instead of practically having to use it preemptively before. The active frames for the reflect is so long too that you can still reflect even if you get hasty and input early. Also lasts long enough to reflect double projectiles from enhanced moves. One of the best changes!