What's new

Riu48's Sonya MUs Dec 2012

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
last time i post my matchups for sonya was about 8 months ago this is the updated list

stop the up playing and the down playing

baraka 6-4
cybersub 6-4
cyrax 6-4
ermac 6-4
freddy 3-7
jade 7-3
jax 6-4
cage 5-5
kabal 3-7
kano 7-3
kenshi 4-6
kitana 5-5
kung lao 5-5
liu kang 6-4
mileena 7-3
knightwolf 7-3
noob 6-4
quan chi 6-4
raiden 6-4
reptile 6-4
rain 6-4
scorpion 7-3
sektor 5-5
shang 6-4
sheeva 7-3
sindel 6-4
skarlet 5-5
smoke 6-4
stryker 6-4
sub zero 5-5
This is actually one of the first tier lists I have seen that I 100% agree with. Nice list man

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Fully agree on Sonya vs. Kitana as a 5-5. Too often do I deal with people saying it's a 6-4 for Sonya.

I don't agree with Smoke, however. That one also feels like a 5-5.

Did you get the match-up numbers for Liu Kang and Kung Lao reversed? Because I'm sure it's Kung Lao who loses 4-6 to Sonya while Liu Kang goes even. Or is there something I'm missing?

Good chart, sir.

(fuck you, Freddy Krueger.)

@NKZero he does can punish a ring on reaction train yourself to do it it is very important for this and others matchups

Me and RIU ran a shit load of casuals in this MU at NEC. Its terrible for Baraka. 7-3 or even 8-2 at the highest possible level. He cant do anything lol
the matchup it is 6-4 sonya at worst i really did not feel so bad . . . i wish we would have played more games on that matchup because in the 4 game we played i learn at lot you kicked my as really bad in the firt 2 then the last two were close. . . is ok baraka is better than people is giving him creadit for

@GamerBlake90 your right kang maybe 5-5 but as of today i thinking it is a 6-4 sonya very slightly advantage in my book if i was using the 5.5 matchup number this would be a 5.5-4.5 sonya in my list. . . about kung lao i am feeling stronger than ever before that the matchup is 5-5 i think i may even train a packet kung lao so that i do not have to play the sonya mirrow

Evil_Riu48 how does Baraka only lose 4-6 and not 3-7?
playing as baraka against a top sonya and playing as sonya against a top baraka have comfirmed my strong suspecions about this matchup been 6-4

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
@GamerBlake90 your right kang maybe 5-5 but as of today i thinking it is a 6-4 sonya very slightly advantage in my book if i was using the 5.5 matchup number this would be a 5.5-4.5 sonya in my list. . . about kung lao i am feeling stronger than ever before that the matchup is 5-5 i think i may even train a packet kung lao so that i do not have to play the sonya mirrow

playing as baraka against a top sonya and playing as sonya against a top baraka have comfirmed my strong suspecions about this matchup been 6-4
That is very very vague lol

That is very very vague lol
lol sorry i did not know you want details

here what i learn at nec and elso a few new tech baraka players can use in this matchup which would be very useful

1)if the sonya player is throwing rings at you with the mentality that her projectiles recovers fastter force them to stop by doing dash f d3 under the projectile and after you do that you will have two options 1) blade chage if you think she will go for another projectile 2) dash back and spark. .. make sure to back dash so that you are out of the range of her jump in and her ex cartwheel

2) even when she has the better projectile baraka win a projectile war because of his armor on ex blade charge so the sonya player will find hemself having to come after you . . . now as every character in this game who plays against sonya you want to keep yourself out of d4 range by walking back and since baraka has the best back dash in the game you can do it by back dashing as well. . . make sure you are punishing every d4 she wiff that way you will force the sonya player to be closer to you before they do their d4 because they know that if they wiff it they will get punish by a blade charge. . .

3) keep in my that baraka has a 6 frame d3 with fast recover use it as a way to counter her d4 and every now and them do d3xxblade charge because if you hit the hitbox of her d4 with your d3 your oponents finger will still be doing the comand to go into ms and they wont be able to block on time the blade charge

4) now that she is been extract careful about the way she uses her d4 you can start your mind games and 50/50 . . . when she is respecting your blade charge do a quick dash f and do f2blade spin every now and them or dash f b32blade spin or dash f cross up jump

5) do not be afraid to get in but get in and get out

this i one of these matchup that you have to have a lot of experience on the to see it as what it really is. .. a lot of what baraka has to do in this matchup is about mind games and studying your opponent and that is something that you can not put on words

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
As a side note, I just wanna give Evil_Riu48 a shout out for how he explains matchups. From what he has done in this thread I can see that he is very logical, and follows the pace of the match in what each character wants to do and their options to counter each other. I don't know why but that really stuck out to me.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Sonya 7, Sheeva 3. Wow what super Sheeva have you been playing and let me in on their secrets!
Are you saying it is worse than that? i wouldnt know I have very little sheeva experience with sonya, only cage.
EDIT: Just looked at your chart where you say it an 8 2. Sounds reasonable.

i think sonya does better than the other rushdown chars against kenshi but i could still very well be 7-3, but im a kenshi upplayer

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
How do you guys deal with the Kitana matchup when the opponent is on point with their instant air fans. Obviously she has to come to you when you have a life lead and that is all well and good, but how do you play the match when you are not at life advantage? I just started playing Sonya a week ago so I have basically no MU experience and I am trying to learn all of it on the fly.

Do you guys just D4 under air fans on your way in and try to get a read on a jump in or react to square wave once Kitana is cornered or close to being cornered?

Justice

Noob
How do you guys deal with the Kitana matchup when the opponent is on point with their instant air fans. Obviously she has to come to you when you have a life lead and that is all well and good, but how do you play the match when you are not at life advantage? I just started playing Sonya a week ago so I have basically no MU experience and I am trying to learn all of it on the fly.

Do you guys just D4 under air fans on your way in and try to get a read on a jump in or react to square wave once Kitana is cornered or close to being cornered?
It's the same as dealing with any instant air projectiles, you gotta dash > duck your way in. Or, if you're feeling particularly suicidal, you can Arc Kick....

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Evil_Riu48 Death GamerBlake90

How do you guys deal with Kitana? lol.

I used to be one of those guys that said she beats Kitana but now I'm reassessing some things.

I played Wonder_Chef and he did on point fans. Then when I got klose, D1 Squarewaved or just Squarewaved from a distance.. That was pretty much all he did and it worked. I had a better time against Kabal than Kitana because at least I kould korner Kabal.

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
Evil_Riu48 Death GamerBlake90

How do you guys deal with Kitana? lol.

I used to be one of those guys that said she beats Kitana but now I'm reassessing some things.

I played Wonder_Chef and he did on point fans. Then when I got klose, D1 Squarewaved or just Squarewaved from a distance.. That was pretty much all he did and it worked. I had a better time against Kabal than Kitana because at least I kould korner Kabal.
Dat anti Sonya tech.