What's new

Riu48's Sonya MUs Dec 2012

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
NKZero i really can understand why some players would see this matchup as a losing matchup for sektor and most of the time it would be for two reason
1) the sektor player is trying to play rush or play footsies against sonya ( this is mistake i have seen a lot of sektor players do against me and others sonya players)

2) do in the right thing which is playing the keep away game but been predictable on their attacks . . .

tell me if i am wrong but the mean problem you guys have is the ex cartwheel right?
I agree w sektor being 5-5

I think its a battle of two characters with some of the best footsies

LEGEND

YES!
i agree with Sonya v Sektor being a 5-5

i agree Sonya is 6-4 over Shang

i don't agree with Sonya v Jax being only 6-4, it is 7-3 in Sonya's favor with out a doubt

NKZero

Noob
NKZero i really can understand why some players would see this matchup as a losing matchup for sektor and most of the time it would be for two reason
1) the sektor player is trying to play rush or play footsies against sonya ( this is a mistake i have seen a lot of sektor players do against me and others sonya players)

2) doing the right thing which is playing the keep away game but been predictable on their attacks . . .

tell me if i am wrong but the mean problem you guys have is the ex cartwheel right?
Well if Sonya negates Sektor's rushdown game (low hitbox + safe armour) and footsies (D4, military stance and safe armour) then that clearly puts Sektor at a disadvantage. Sektor's flame burner works well against D4 but EX cartwheel blows right through it.

Sektor is a heavy footsie character. He can zone, but Sonya's straight projectile (ring toss) is quicker and recovers faster than Sektor's straight missile. I cannot zone you with up missiles alone. So Sonya wins up close, from footsie range, and will win projectile trades.

The reason it isn't worse than 6-4 is because Sonya only slightly wins in these departments, and Sektor has various tools to punish Sonya hard when she makes mistakes. I can't see it being even but maybe you could tell me?

EX cartwheel is a problem yes but D4 is also a problem. The low hit-box is a problem, and you can pressure Sektor for free on wake-up because he has a bad wake-up game.

Death

Noob
Kenshi and Kabal MUs are always debatable. Some Sonyas find Kabal harder while others find Kenshi harder.

Sonya rapes Sektor too. And also beats raiden and reptile harder than 6-4. Baraka too 7-3. It looks similar to mine except I have the kenshi and Kabal MU switched around and more 7-3s on mine.

Well if Sonya negates Sektor's rushdown game (low hitbox + safe armour) and footsies (D4, military stance and safe armour) then that clearly puts Sektor at a disadvantage. Sektor's flame burner works well against D4 but EX cartwheel blows right through it.

Sektor is a heavy footsie character. He can zone, but Sonya's straight projectile (ring toss) is quicker and recovers faster than Sektor's straight missile. I cannot zone you with up missiles alone. So Sonya wins up close, from footsie range, and will win projectile trades.

The reason it isn't worse than 6-4 is because Sonya only slightly wins in these departments, and Sektor has various tools to punish Sonya hard when she makes mistakes. I can't see it being even but maybe you could tell me?

EX cartwheel is a problem yes but D4 is also a problem. The low hit-box is a problem, and you can pressure Sektor for free on wake-up because he has a bad wake-up game.
that is the thing you need to stop trying to rushdown sonya . .. i ll explain why is even from sektor's view

1) you have to sent a clear massage to the sonya player which says '' i will not join you in a projectile battle and if you try to fight me in a projectile battle i will punish your rings with an instanted teleport for a full combo'' once you get that massage clear she will have not choice but to come after you.

2) now that she is coming after you your mean goal is to keep yourself out of the rage of her d4 walking back and every now and them jumping back but only when is needed.

3) you have to be patience and reserved with you attacks . . . do not attack her every time she is at the range of your f1 or flame because if you do you are been predictable and been predictable will get you punish with an ex cartwheel. . . remember that the sonya player is looking for that read in which he will hit you with the ex cartwheel as you start your offence . . . the key word here is that they are looking for a ''read'' which mean ''they can not do it on reaction'' keep that in mind and change your patterns and adapt to they way he is trying to close the distance

4) the use of flame is key is this matchup for sektor. . . what you want to do as crazy as it sound is to use your flames before sonya is in the full rage of the flame. . . this would make it really hard for her to get a read on your flame and punish it with an ex cartwheel because the ex cartwheel and sektor's flame both travel about the same distance. . . so for sonya to be able to go throw your flame and hit you she would have to be a little closer than the full rage of the flame if she is not a little closer than the full range of your flame and she does ex cartwheel she will go throw the flame with the armor but the cartheel will wiff and not touch you. . .

what sonya player will start doing to counter this flame extrategy is to dash just out the distage of your flame and throw her things to hit you while you are in the animation the flame. . . when this happen go back to step number 1

5) slow down the matchup you do not want to play the who is faster because she is better than sektor at that game . . . up missile close to you is your best friend to do this since even if she hit you with d4 she wont be able to fallow with her rushdown because she is risking to get hit with your up missile and that would be really bad for her

6) as you are getting close to the corner start looking for a crossup jump to stop you from been corner or use your ex teleport to get you out

i hope this help

Sonya vs Jax IMO is at least 7-3. A low hitbox character that has safe armor and powerful pokes/footsies completely shuts down Jax's rushdown. Her divekicks and fast projectile can cripple Jax's GP and projectile game to no end.

In order for Jax to have an advantageous matchup, the opponent must at least a couple of the following A) Have a high hitbox B) Have lackluster armor C) Have lackluster zoning or D) Have lackluster rushdown. Sonya excels in all those attributes (specifically VS Jax). The ONLY thing I can think of that makes Jax have a TEENY TINY edge is being able to backbreak Sonya's D4s....but that's it. 6-4 means SLIGHT advatage, and there is no way that all those tools and qualities at Sonya's disposal make this MU a SLIGHT advantage at the highest level of play. Seeing Tyrant fight Sonya's is exhausting to watch at how hard he has to work in order to get some damage off them.

I agree on Cage being 5-5 (5.5 - 4.5?) though.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Thank you. THTB opinion?

#IamMuffinMuggers
Agreed. That matchup is just hard lol. Not impossible, but pretty hard for sure. It's annoying that one stagger = ROUNDU ONE! DIVU KIKU! She just beats us wherever we would want to be. I thought it was maybe 4-6 and I and other Reptiles just played it wrong, but it's definitely gay. I'd still play Reptile in that matchup...I honestly don't care, because I'm too lazy to learn counters in the first place, so might as well get used to being the best I can at the matchup. It's not like I can't win it in tournament.

Obs_SmSwag

"I have good taste because I like what I like"
Kabal is not harder than Kenshi... Kabal isn't a full screen threat for Sonya and they both have retarted armor, only thing is Sonya's is safe (considering the Kabal isn't doing a flash parry). Kenshi's like "Oh you got close? Let me D3 ex shoulder charge real quick Kappa" Cage loses to Sonya 4-6, Lao loses to Sonya 4-6 and Kang vs Sonya is a 5-5 i.m.o.

Edit: Mileena vs Sonya is 4-6. Both have retarted d4's and descent mix-ups/pressure. Sonya's armor and the speed of her normals give her the advantage.

NKZero

Noob
Evil_Riu48 you make some great points and I generally agree with what you say. But firstly, you cannot iaTU ring toss on reaction, and also if I ever EX teleport uppercut out of a corner you can just throw me back in. I'm at -7 so I have to respect your options when you block the EX teleport uppercut.

What you said is true. Sektor must be patient and unpredictable so as not to get punished. Close up missile is useful as well I agree. But still Sektor is limited in all aspects of this MU. He cannot zone as freely, cannot anti-zone, can't play up close, is outranged in the footsie game. I don't think the MU is that bad but I still think Sonya has the advantage personally.