What's new

Retiles Elbow Dash NJ combos.

Thanks to THTB and Milk, the 321,dash combo is comming out easier. I think the hardest part is not rushing the 321 into the dash. Its good to see such a high level player like THTB helping the Reptile community as much as he does. I look forward to seeing him in future tournaments.

Dedemaru

Noob
Okay, I'll try that out, thanks!

Thanks to THTB and Milk, the 321,dash combo is comming out easier. I think the hardest part is not rushing the 321 into the dash. Its good to see such a high level player like THTB helping the Reptile community as much as he does. I look forward to seeing him in future tournaments.
Agreed. In the Marvel community and on Shoryuken I barely see posts from any big name community members ('cept maybe P. Gorath). It's nice to see that these MK pros can take time out of their day to help others level up their game.

In a weird way, I try to count the hits. Counting the hits has helped improve the timing in my case. I am not as good as the other players,but if we pull together anything is possible.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Haha, I don't consider myself high-level by any means...I just play the game and like seeing everyone get better alongside me.

Milk

Snake eyes
Haha, this Saturday is my first tournament, I'm hardly pro, but, thank you for the kind words. I just really like Reptile and am beginning to understand him a lot, and how many good options he has. I try to help along side THTB with Reptile advice and tips, since he very much understands his main, as I am beginning to. Chef has given a lot of good Reptile advice, like the triple elbow dash mix ups while the opponent is grounded, been getting that into my game now.

THTB

The triple dash mixup is good on occasion and builds some nice meter for when you can't hit them, but the biggest weakness behind it is that backroll kinda puts a damper on the mixups. It works, don't get me wrong. Hell, double dashing after elbow dashing a cornered opponent to get back to middle ground is also useful as hell...ESPECIALLY vs Sub-Zero.

Milk

Snake eyes
The triple dash mixup is good on occasion and builds some nice meter for when you can't hit them, but the biggest weakness behind it is that backroll kinda puts a damper on the mixups. It works, don't get me wrong. Hell, double dashing after elbow dashing a cornered opponent to get back to middle ground is also useful as hell...ESPECIALLY vs Sub-Zero.
I didn't nesciarily mean 3 dashes all the time, just dashing at the end of the bnb in general. What I've been doing is at the end of the bnb one elbow dash ex invis. It's safe, in their face and invisible, damage boost, it's nice.

THTB

No, no, I got that.

Wow, it's possible to get EX invis up in time after that? Awesome stuff! Could be useful if you need to make up life.

I think it could end up being more beneficial to end in dash than slide. Slide barely leaves enough time to do anything but check with a dash.

Milk

Snake eyes
No, no, I got that.

Wow, it's possible to get EX invis up in time after that? Awesome stuff! Could be useful if you need to make up life.

I think it could end up being more beneficial to end in dash than slide. Slide barely leaves enough time to do anything but check with a dash.
That's what I'm saying. If you do one elbow dash and instantly ex invis out of the dash, it should be good. If not, just opt out the elbow, ex invis, then elbow and get on them. Either way, free ex invis. I'll record it tonight for future reference. Plus, those forceballs come out of NOWHERE when you're ex invised, since you're completely invisible. I'd very much opt out that 2% on the slide for good oki options.

THTB

Well, at least his 50%+ combos without X-Ray potentially became more practical... XD

Milk

Snake eyes
Well, at least his 50%+ combos without X-Ray potentially became more practical... XD
With Ex invis? I know, right? As long as you can get a safe one, it's game time. Due to the fact he has set ups for safe ex invis, good combos all around. Also with Elbow dash mix ups on a complete invis, it's AMAZING. Does Reptile lose invis if he's hit on block too?

Milk

Snake eyes
Yes he does.

I wish EX Invisibility raised damage more... My 43% BnB only goes up by 5% to 48%.

At that point it's just better off to do the slide...:(
I just use it for complete invisibility. Damage boost is nice, but not crucial.

Hey guys... need some help here. Often when I'm doing the elbow dash nj combo, I do anther elbow dash on accident (instead of the slide at the end.) The problem here is usually I input the buttons incorrectly, however I am never hitting 3 instead of the 4 for the slide.
I know that probably didnt make sense so I included a video to show what I'm talking about. Pay close attention to my button commands on the left. (Also excuse my poor execution of the nj combo...I'm still perfecting it :eek: )

As you can see after the second forceball, I input 3 2 back 1 forward 4. (obviously it should be 321 back forward 4)...
But what gets me is that reptile does the elbow dash here... I understand him not doing the slide because I screwed up the commands...but why does he do an elbow dash when I haven't even input 3 since the 321 part?

Milk

Snake eyes
Hey guys... need some help here. Often when I'm doing the elbow dash nj combo, I do anther elbow dash on accident (instead of the slide at the end.) The problem here is usually I input the buttons incorrectly, however I am never hitting 3 instead of the 4 for the slide.
I know that probably didnt make sense so I included a video to show what I'm talking about. Pay close attention to my button commands on the left. (Also excuse my poor execution of the nj combo...I'm still perfecting it :eek: )

As you can see after the second forceball, I input 3 2 back 1 forward 4. (obviously it should be 321 back forward 4)...
But what gets me is that reptile does the elbow dash here... I understand him not doing the slide because I screwed up the commands...but why does he do an elbow dash when I haven't even input 3 since the 321 part?
I think it's giving your back forward to the 2 in the combo. Just try to cancel the 1 with the slide.

When trying to do reps of f2 b1 in the corner after a 321 elbow dash njp, it gives me a dash a lot of the time. MK's buffer system is really weird.

GhosT

Noob
Shout out to THTB, Milk, and everyone who posted in this thread who helped out with the NJP combo, Finally got it down to the point where Im almost always connecting. Now since im not a part of or not aware of any local scene im just waitin for psn to come bak online so i can work on hit confirming.

Loving the lizard more than ever. It seems like he has an option for all situations. cannot wait to play some real players to utilize the hit cancelling mixups off blocked combos into green hand or slide. Seems like he can find a way into any blocking guard whether high or low.

Again, Thank you TYM!

GhosT

Noob

At the end of the string its different than the start.. I find i dont really need to buffer the slide.. After doing your final 321 (before the slide.) wait until you press 1 then do away towards 4. It should work, i think you may be doing what i use to do and input slide too quikly which will lead to stuff like that.

Same with 321 into whiff elbow.. if you input elbow too fast and cut off the 1 punch of the combo you will elbow dash him before the last hit. I wouldnt worry too much.. once you get the NJP part down to a high percentage you will have a lot more chances to work on the slide at the end since when you struggle with the njp part you dont ever get to the end.

Also as milk has noted before.. it is somtimes better to take the 42% damage and leave out the slide at the end and do another whiff dash to allow you to smother your opponent. When you land the slide it puts you at a distance from your opponent and you only gain a marginal 3%.

EDIT: in practice mode try using a forceball then juggle 321 and slide.. its like a mini version of the end of the combo. This may help.. or do fast FB, 32 Slow FB 321, slide.. then all you will have to get down is the njp part and your set

Milk

Snake eyes
Shout out to THTB, Milk, and everyone who posted in this thread who helped out with the NJP combo, Finally got it down to the point where Im almost always connecting. Now since im not a part of or not aware of any local scene im just waitin for psn to come bak online so i can work on hit confirming.

Loving the lizard more than ever. It seems like he has an option for all situations. cannot wait to play some real players to utilize the hit cancelling mixups off blocked combos into green hand or slide. Seems like he can find a way into any blocking guard whether high or low.

Again, Thank you TYM!
Once its back up, shoot me a PM here and we'll play some. Glad I could help.

I only ever end my combo with slide if it's going to kill. I always prefer my options out of a elbow dash instead of the couple of %.

Eazail

Noob
I'm loving the new ideas on how to use Reptile more efficiently. I've also been using him since day 1 (had to cause of mk1 costume) and have been changing up my game with him frequently. I'm also getting. Better at his elbow dash bnb. I can get the njp about 50% of the time in practice and about 33% of the time in competitive gameplay. I'm hoping that with more and more practice I can get more consistant. You guys give me hope it will happen

Milk

Snake eyes
I'm loving the new ideas on how to use Reptile more efficiently. I've also been using him since day 1 (had to cause of mk1 costume) and have been changing up my game with him frequently. I'm also getting. Better at his elbow dash bnb. I can get the njp about 50% of the time in practice and about 33% of the time in competitive gameplay. I'm hoping that with more and more practice I can get more consistant. You guys give me hope it will happen
I'm sure you will start landing it more with practice. Reptile takes a decent amount of determination to play well, so, just dedicate to him, and he'll be easy. Get good with reads, confirming 3 2 1 no matter what, and just learning how he moves. Reptile is a fantastic and versatile character, more mains of him the better. I know I am gonna' continue repping him in tourney's no matter what they do to him, and I hope other mains do the same.

I'm sure you will start landing it more with practice. Reptile takes a decent amount of determination to play well, so, just dedicate to him, and he'll be easy. Get good with reads, confirming 3 2 1 no matter what, and just learning how he moves. Reptile is a fantastic and versatile character, more mains of him the better. I know I am gonna' continue repping him in tourney's no matter what they do to him, and I hope other mains do the same.
Yes, listen to this man. It took me about 3 weeks to a month to get it down consistently. Still not 100% but better than it happening randomly, I know now the rhythm or pattern/timing to press the buttons. I was desperate to learn it, it's worth it, even on practice dummy, now to work on pulling combos off successfully on real players.

Milk

Snake eyes
Yes, listen to this man. It took me about 3 weeks to a month to get it down consistently. Still not 100% but better than it happening randomly, I know now the rhythm or pattern/timing to press the buttons. I was desperate to learn it, it's worth it, even on practice dummy, now to work on pulling combos off successfully on real players.
Thank you for the kind words. I've stuck with Reptile since day 1, TYM and the Reptile forums helped me learn things. Gotta' credit Chef to giving me the idea to do an elbow dash at the end of my combo, giving me a free ex invis opportunity. Saved my life a ton. It took me a good week to get the njp down, but that was me hitting the lab every chance I had. I played a lot of SSFIV and Melee, so timing specific stuff was my forte. Once I knew what I had to do, I just practiced it a lot. I played the MK demo a lot too, so it gave me an idea of the games mechanics early on, and helped me convert over from other fighting games. I still find myself holding back to block every once in awhile.

Also, Karried, if you ever get your situation figured out, transportation wise, come down to a tourney of ours, it's about 6 hours south of Chicago. Also, I'm in Chicago a lot, if I'm up in the area, I'll PM you on here and we can try to play some games.