What's new

Retiles Elbow Dash NJ combos.

Griefa

Noob
The whiffed elbow dash setups seem like a low % move to me. Even after several hours in practice I still find myself well below 75% success rate with it.

The one I'm referring to specifically is his highest damage midscreen string, although it applies to all of his elbow dash setups:

3,2,1 elbow dash, NJ 1/2, forceball, 3,2, forceball, 3,2,1, slide (45%)

A lot of people are claiming to be able to hit this consistently in practice, but my question is: How consistently? It seems to me that no matter how perfect my command input is, the NJ punch still has a chance to whiff. I've held up and done everything to my knowledge to improve my success with it, and I feel like Im at the point where my skill no longer is a factor so much as the inherent chance to miss the punch.

For a move that seems to be less than 1/2 of the time successful (for me) I find it much more effective to land the 1,2,2, force ball string for a super consistent 35% plus.

I've concluded that I either need more practice, or this combo (even at the highest level) is not worth the risk due to its inconsistency. I should also say that I play with a d-pad, which I prefer to an arcade stick. Unless there is some sort of real advantage to playing on a stick (such as better response time), then I don't think this should be a factor, as I have no other issues landing and inputting my commands.

Id like to hear everyones' input as to whether or not this is a viable juggle combo for high level play, or if the risk of missing it is not worth the reward.

I had the same problem when i first tried the setup but now i can do it without thinking. First off i stopped rushing the inputs since a spammed button hit seems to make everything whiff even if its just hitting :fp twice.

What i've found works is hitting :fk :bp then waiting a fraction to hit confirm then :fp then wait an even smaller fraction (or i get spit for some reason) then :l :r + :bp and hold up instantly.The timing's kinda hard to explain for the punch itself but once you land it try n remember the timing.

That's just how i do it but everyone's different, it might help you out though.

Griefa

Noob
Thanks for the input. What would you say is your success rate with it? Ill definitely give it a shot and see if it makes a difference!

Its pretty much 100% inless im just being lazy or somthing but thats in training.In a propper match i somtimes rush the input but with psn being down i dont play others much so its hard to refine the spazzy execution when i panic or whatever.

What im getting at is its not rly the nj punch or anything but its a delay on hitting up or rushed spammed button hits that make it whiff for me, aslong as everythings put in correctly it seems pretty lenient as far as timing goes lol i like to ramble.

Griefa

Noob
I just went back to the lab and tested it out. I think my biggest problem was holding up rather than trying to time the up perfectly. Ive already seen big improvements and like you said rushing the commands seems to be the downfall. Awesome man thanks for the great advice.

It sucks with PSN being down for 2 whole weekends =( I have no one to play with right now, just a bunch of anxious friends from around the country spending many hours in the training room lol.

I can land this combo about 90% offline, and I've gotten used to the lag enough to get it online about 65-70% of the time if I actually manage to start it (which is really hard to do online, especially against people who just mash and it works because of lag, but I digress).

My probably with the combo that makes me drop it occasionally is actually the exact opposite of yours. Instead of whiffing the nJ P, I input it too early and instead just get an empty jump.

I mentioned tips on how I manage to do it in the ask reptile thread, so I'll paraphrase it here:

After the Elbow Dash, I like to tap up as soon as Reptile crosses over to the other side of the opponent -- some people like to hold up, but I find tapping up gives me a better gauge of when to punch since its a set time that I press up instead of a larger window for when I could hold it.

After you tap up, wait a moment before punching. Its not a long moment, but its not immediately after tapping up, neither.
I haven't found any sort of visual cue like with the jump, so its really just getting a feel for the timing after tapping up, but here are some explanations of what might happens if you mess up one aspect, that way you can try to adjust accordingly:

If you run over to the other side and DON'T jump and just end up punching them, then you've hit up too early.
If you run to the other side and just do an empty jump, you've hit punch too early.
If you run to the other side and whiff the jumping punch, then one of two things are going on: One, you're hitting punch too late. Two, you're jumping much too late. To make sure its not the latter, try it again and watch for Reptile's stopping animation for the whiffed dash. If you're jumping at the right time, you shouldn't see it.

And that's all the tips I've got for the jumping punch.

In my opinion, this is a very viable combo for competitive play, because you don't need necessarily frame-perfect input, just solid timing on the nJ P, and then you've got yourself 45% or more.
Just like with any good combo, if you put a little practice into it, the execution no longer is difficult and its just more damage.
Though I still feel 1 2 2 Forceball etc is going to be a solid combo for competitive play as well -- its incredibly easy, starts off of a jab, and you can change the 1 2 2 for 1 2 b1 or 1 2 2 Slide for some good mixups.

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
Can someone help me with

3, 2, 1 elbow dash, 3, 2, forceball, 3, 2, 1, slide start up?

I can pretty much always get the elbow dash, but sometimes the 3 doesn't register and I just go straight to 2, or the 3 just completely misses. When should I be pressing 3? To do the 3, 2, 1 elbow dash I pretty much input that chain before the action finishes, but I'm not sure when to to start pressing the next commands.

Thanks

Milk

Snake eyes
Messin now, seeing if I can get some more damage out of his BNB, 3 2 1 elbow dash nj punch slow forceball 3 2 fast forceball 3 2 1 slide. As of right now, I do 3 2 1 elbow dash nj punch slow forceball, then I do 3 2 ex green hand and elbow dash, I feel like if I was faster i could get something with this. Anyone else wanna' try?

Edit:
After the ex green hand to elbow dash I was able to hit 1 2, Little tricky on the timing, maybe if we do fast forceball?

Can someone help me with

3, 2, 1 elbow dash, 3, 2, forceball, 3, 2, 1, slide start up?

I can pretty much always get the elbow dash, but sometimes the 3 doesn't register and I just go straight to 2, or the 3 just completely misses. When should I be pressing 3? To do the 3, 2, 1 elbow dash I pretty much input that chain before the action finishes, but I'm not sure when to to start pressing the next commands.

Thanks
Easiest way to get that is after the elbow dash, try really hard to get a neutral jump punch. If you're having trouble hitting the NJ Punch, just try to ex forceball after the elbow dash. But, for timing on your combo, you wanna' start hitting 3 about when their body is about even with your head, basically right when the animation of the dash is done.

With the nj punch, you don't have to wait. 3 2 1 elbow dash nj punch slow forceball 3 2 fast forceball 3 2 1 slide.

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
Messin now, seeing if I can get some more damage out of his BNB, 3 2 1 elbow dash nj punch slow forceball 3 2 fast forceball 3 2 1 slide. As of right now, I do 3 2 1 elbow dash nj punch slow forceball, then I do 3 2 ex green hand and elbow dash, I feel like if I was faster i could get something with this. Anyone else wanna' try?

Easiest way to get that is after the elbow dash, try really hard to get a neutral jump punch. If you're having trouble hitting the NJ Punch, just try to ex forceball after the elbow dash. But, for timing on your combo, you wanna' start hitting 3 about when their body is about even with your head, basically right when the animation of the dash is done.

With the nj punch, you don't have to wait. 3 2 1 elbow dash nj punch slow forceball 3 2 fast forceball 3 2 1 slide.

Ok thanks I'll be sure to try this out after work.

Glad to see an active MK message board.

MK2 was one of the first video games I have ever played. And while I've played all of the 3d ones, most of them weren't technical enough to really need a site with combos like the ones found in this new MK.

Edit:
After the ex green hand to elbow dash I was able to hit 1 2, Little tricky on the timing, maybe if we do fast forceball?

You can dash forward and do 3 2 force ball (i use fast) then 3 2 enhanced slow force ball then 3 2 1 slide after the setup...its only 2 hits more so i dnt think its worth it though

Milk

Snake eyes
You can dash forward and do 3 2 force ball (i use fast) then 3 2 enhanced slow force ball then 3 2 1 slide after the setup...its only 2 hits more so i dnt think its worth it though
Well can't you only do one of each forceball in the same combo? I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying, lol. Or, you quoted the wrong person. The most I got was 3 2 1 elbow dash nj punch slow forceball 3 2 ex green hand elbow dash 1 2 2. I want to see if I can get 1 2 fast forceball and go from that. I know in the corner you can get good shit off of ex green hand, I need to use it more.

Well can't you only do one of each forceball in the same combo? I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying, lol. Or, you quoted the wrong person. The most I got was 3 2 1 elbow dash nj punch slow forceball 3 2 ex green hand elbow dash 1 2 2. I want to see if I can get 1 2 fast forceball and go from that. I know in the corner you can get good shit off of ex green hand, I need to use it more.
Ah sorry for not being clear, all i was saying is that you can get an extra 5% onto the 3 2 1 elbow dash nj bnb since you mentioned trying to make it more damaging. I wasn't adding to the combo you are trying

Milk

Snake eyes
Ah sorry for not being clear, all i was saying is that you can get an extra 5% onto the 3 2 1 elbow dash nj bnb since you mentioned trying to make it more damaging. I wasn't adding to the combo you are trying
Gotcha. The bnb i normally use is 321 elbow nj punch slow fb 3 2 fast fb 321 slide.

Is it possible to buffer off the dash into the nj punch. by this I mean, while you dash hold the punch untill you cross and the nj input initiates. This might of been discussed,but I am new to these forums and might of missed it.

Milk

Snake eyes
Is it possible to buffer off the dash into the nj punch. by this I mean, while you dash hold the punch untill you cross and the nj input initiates. This might of been discussed,but I am new to these forums and might of missed it.
The buffering system in MK is kind of weird. It's possible to buffer the nj punch off the elbow dash, but, personally, I feel that just timing the jump punch is a lot easier. Maybe cause i'm not used to the buffer system, i dunno.

I agree with you Milk. The buffer system does take some time getting down,but I think theres alot to be descovered with it. So far theres a ton of vids on combos ,but not to many on the buffer system. If buffering into the NJ works, people may gain some consistant ground with this combo.

Dedemaru

Noob
I'm having trouble at the very beginning of this combo. When exactly should I input back then forward to do the Elbow Dash? At what point during the initial 3,2,1 should I begin the Elbow Dash's command?

Milk

Snake eyes
I'm having trouble at the very beginning of this combo. When exactly should I input back then forward to do the Elbow Dash? At what point during the initial 3,2,1 should I begin the Elbow Dash's command?
3 2
back
forward 2 is basically how I do it.

I agree with you Milk. The buffer system does take some time getting down,but I think theres alot to be descovered with it. So far theres a ton of vids on combos ,but not to many on the buffer system. If buffering into the NJ works, people may gain some consistant ground with this combo.
Corner and meterless aside, this is one of the best BNB's around IMO. No meter, mid screen, even if you whiff it you get get some positional advantage, once you get it down you hardly whiff it, and it looks awesome. Even if you think they are going to breaker, you can do other stuff to get good damage out of it still.

Milk, how do you time the nj punch? It seems thats the hardest part for me to consistantly execute. Thanks for starting this thread btw. Manny others including myself am struggling with this combo. It does look kinda wicked now that I think about it,lol.

Been tinkering for about 10 minutes.

2 minutes into trying the nj with no effort and I got no successful lands.

4 minutes in I started tinkering with using front punch and rear punch for the nj hits.

6 minutes in and I'm finally starting to get the timing down.

8 minutes in and I'm about about a 60-75% success rate.

10 minutes in and I got a 50% with the use of 1 ex forceball.

I hope this helps some of you even though I'm just barely introducing myself to this character as well.

If anyone else has any tips to help others try and get the timing down, I'd love to know :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention, how I was tinkering with the fp/rp on the nj hits was this: front punch if you dash to the left after 3,2,1, and rp if you dash to the right.

However I'm not 100% sure how the nj punches work in terms of collision so I could just be retarded ^_^

Milk

Snake eyes
Milk, how do you time the nj punch? It seems thats the hardest part for me to consistantly execute. Thanks for starting this thread btw. Manny others including myself am struggling with this combo. It does look kinda wicked now that I think about it,lol.
I've done it so much I can kind of tell when the run is stopped, so I instantly hit jump + punch as soon as I see this happen. Usually right when their feet are almost touching your head, is when you're wanting to do the jump punch. And, here's kind of breakdown.

3 2
back
forward + 2 then right after you input this, you are going to want to hit up to hit the jump, but as you're hitting jump, hit punch too. Then right when you hit the ground, hit the slow forceball. I still miss it too, so don't worry about it, it's tricky.

Been tinkering for about 10 minutes.

2 minutes into trying the nj with no effort and I got no successful lands.

4 minutes in I started tinkering with using front punch and rear punch for the nj hits.

6 minutes in and I'm finally starting to get the timing down.

8 minutes in and I'm about about a 60-75% success rate.

10 minutes in and I got a 50% with the use of 1 ex forceball.

I hope this helps some of you even though I'm just barely introducing myself to this character as well.

If anyone else has any tips to help others try and get the timing down, I'd love to know :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention, how I was tinkering with the fp/rp on the nj hits was this: front punch if you dash to the left after 3,2,1, and rp if you dash to the right.

However I'm not 100% sure how the nj punches work in terms of collision so I could just be retarded ^_^
If you're having trouble timing the punch, and don't mind wasting a meter, do 3 2 1 elbow and then ex forceball as a bnb until you get the timing down. If you don't have the meter, do 3 2 1 elbow 3 2 slow forceball. Both work, and both can finish out if I believe.

Regardless of side, I just hit triangle for my nj punch. It may have to do with the stance changing thing Seb posted a video about recently. Who knows. Read the rest of my post for timing tips, if they help at all I'd love to know, I was determined to learn Reptile the day the game came out, so, I learned his timing. Learning Sektor combos to kind of give my friend tips, and gotta' say, Reptile's timing is a bit wonky comparatively. I'm used to it now though.

For the record, got a 56% or so 3 meter mid screen combo, lol. If you're gonna' waste all the meter, might as well do it in style, right?

3 2 1 elbow nj punch ex green hand elbow 3 2 ex fast forceball, walk back wards a hair, 3 2 ex slow forceball, 3 2 slide. Awwwwww yeah, so flashy. By the end of this combo they might have the meter to breaker though, it's kinda' long...lol. But if not, hey, get the crowd hyped up.

Awesome insight milk :) definitely starting to see a HUGE improvement in my timing already just by messing around and using your tips. Thanks ^^

Milk

Snake eyes
Awesome insight milk :) definitely starting to see a HUGE improvement in my timing already just by messing around and using your tips. Thanks ^^
I try to be as much help as I can when THTB isn't around to give tips. Just gotta' look for visual cues when to do your next move. Once you get your combos down, the next step is going to be taking him against people. For awhile, I had my combos down pact, but didn't know how to play, so I'd try too hard to get my combos, and get destroyed, cause I didn't zone, space, or predict anything. It's a long process, but it will be worth it, Reptile is the only thing keeping me into Mortal Kombat, but if he isn't doing it well, I dunno.