What's new

Match-up Discussion Reptile Matchup Discussion Thread

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I'll fight KL any day over Sonya and unless theres some new crazy KL tech since when does KL rape Reptile?
It's like Sonya except your fireball game is completely meaningless. Up close he is way easier to handle than Sonya, but he still just has better buttons.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Joker8417 EGP Wonder_Chef THTB Cossner Treadmill
What do you guys think of the sektor matchup? I honestly haven't played it enough to gauge a number. Even? Can missiles even keep us out? Iatp on forceball reaction?
Missles can sorta keep us out. He's definitely going to win from fullscreen. With how slow all of Rep's zoning is to start up, they can IATP on reaction very very easily, and Missiles recover fast enough that we can't just dash > jump them easily.

The inside game is strange. His b3 will beat d4 and d4 most of the time, but our standing 3 beats d3 most of the time (steps over it somehow), and his standing 1 will beat our standing 3 most of the time. It's a big guess, so I feel like it might actually be even inside.

I say slight advantage Sektor just because he does win the outside game.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Also if you guys have ridiculously fast reactions, you can always sorta punish KL teleport with Elbow Dash through him > Slide, but you have to be so fast...

Joker8417 EGP Wonder_Chef THTB Cossner Treadmill
What do you guys think of the sektor matchup? I honestly haven't played it enough to gauge a number. Even? Can missiles even keep us out? Iatp on forceball reaction?
Yeah I feel its even.

Missiles can be annoying but you make a few good reads and you give sektor a hard day. Sektors wake ups suck as we all know.

You have to be careful putting fballs on screen, and he punishes dash stupid hard.

I end combos with slowball and ex slow just to keep him from getting in a groove with his zoning.

I have success just outside of jump distance, trying to bait a flame wiff or to aa him, or bait a jump faint into teleport.

GGA Saucy Jack

The artist formerly known as ImNewbieSauce
I wanted to chime in on the Liu matchup from the other perspective.

Ive been working on this with GGA HAN for the last month or so. And ive got to say, i dont think reptile is at a disadvantage. I think its even.

Yes liu can keep reptile out. And yes liu is faster up close. But reptile has a couple of very strong tools.

1) if reptile can get a forceball on the screen, liu is fucked. All his armor is -1000 on block. He cant ex dragon kick on reaction because it whiffs over reptiles head for full combo. Just one forceball can be disastrous for Liu. In the end, Liu generally has to block and then its the 3/32/321/321AH lottery. Which leads to my next point.

2) while liu is faster up close, he always has to respect dash. ALWAYS. Getting dashed means Liu is knocked down. And when liu is knocked down, he is fucking helpless against reptile. I honestly would rather be quan fucking shitty titty wakeups chi than liu knocked down by reptile. All his shit is unsafe, and any punish means you get to oki me again. Its a nightmare.

3) d4 shouldnt be spammed, but it completely eliminates lius f12 that is generally a way in. Play your spacing right, and make the liu player remember its there. Its just a mental thing. Remove one of his tools.

Might i also suggest ending your combos with forceball setups against liu. Again....once you put one of those on the screen, momentum shifts. Also....dont go nuts on ex dash, liu fucks that up.

This match is not as bad as you think IMO. 5-5.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I wanted to chime in on the Liu matchup from the other perspective.

Ive been working on this with GGA HAN for the last month or so. And ive got to say, i dont think reptile is at a disadvantage. I think its even.

Yes liu can keep reptile out. And yes liu is faster up close. But reptile has a couple of very strong tools.

1) if reptile can get a forceball on the screen, liu is fucked. All his armor is -1000 on block. He cant ex dragon kick on reaction because it whiffs over reptiles head for full combo. Just one forceball can be disastrous for Liu. In the end, Liu generally has to block and then its the 3/32/321/321AH lottery. Which leads to my next point.

2) while liu is faster up close, he always has to respect dash. ALWAYS. Getting dashed means Liu is knocked down. And when liu is knocked down, he is fucking helpless against reptile. I honestly would rather be quan fucking shitty titty wakeups chi than liu knocked down by reptile. All his shit is unsafe, and any punish means you get to oki me again. Its a nightmare.

3) d4 shouldnt be spammed, but it completely eliminates lius f12 that is generally a way in. Play your spacing right, and make the liu player remember its there. Its just a mental thing. Remove one of his tools.

Might i also suggest ending your combos with forceball setups against liu. Again....once you put one of those on the screen, momentum shifts. Also....dont go nuts on ex dash, liu fucks that up.

This match is not as bad as you think IMO. 5-5.
The only time this MU is in Reptile's favor is on knockdown. He destroys him here, but Liu has better footsies and generally doesn't have a hard time escaping pressure. Also LK players should not be using his ass armored moves at all in this MU unless they know without a doubt it will hit. LK controls every other aspect of the MU.

GGA Saucy Jack

The only time this MU is in Reptile's favor is on knockdown. He destroys him here, but Liu has better footsies and generally doesn't have a hard time escaping pressure. Also LK players should not be using his ass armored moves at all in this MU unless they know without a doubt it will hit. LK controls every other aspect of the MU.

All reptile has to do is knock liu down once. Dash, throw, sweep. YOLO that shit. Lol. Liu does medium damage. A mistake vs liu is NOT the same as a mistake vs sonya or others. Do anything to knock him down. So you eat a couple fire balls along the way. So what? The BIGGEST advantage in this matchup is reptile when liu is down. That portion is 9-1.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
All reptile has to do is knock liu down once. Dash, throw, sweep. YOLO that shit. Lol. Liu does medium damage. A mistake vs liu is NOT the same as a mistake vs sonya or others. Do anything to knock him down. So you eat a couple fire balls along the way. So what? The BIGGEST advantage in this matchup is reptile when liu is down. That portion is 9-1.
Just because that one aspect of the MU is great for Reptile doesn't make it even when LK only needs one good read or reaction to get back in the game. It's not even close to that bad for Liu. All he needs is to hit a poke or parry and the match is his all over again. He also punishes dash HARD, his pokes are better, normals are better, and he outzones him hard. I understand why you think it's 5-5 because LK in the Rep blender is really bad, but he can still deal with it. However if Liu is in Reptile's ass, his only option is dash. He will only respect it for so long.

GGA Saucy Jack

Liu gets a 37 percent bnb. I havent gone through the whole cast, but my intuition is at least half the cast punishes harder and has more oki set ups. If im wrong let me know. This is just my feeling, i accept i might be wrong on this. Although i doubt it.

Liu has 3 pokes against reptile. Count em. 3. D3/b3/b1

Standing two whiffs all over reptile. Free d4. Or free dash and oki.
Lius d1 is ten frames. No one uses it.
Parry is ass. Who is still scared of it?

If you block a d3 you are in control.

Yes, i agree b312 is a monster in this matchup, and its a nightmare for reptile. But dont be scared of liu. He doesnt do nearly as much damage as people seem to think.

Im sure we will agree to disagree, thats what makes these things funsies. But I really do think reppy is aight here. This is a matchup for unsafe reptile. Not scurred reptile. :)

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Liu gets a 37 percent bnb. I havent gone through the whole cast, but my intuition is at least half the cast punishes harder and has more oki set ups. If im wrong let me know. This is just my feeling, i accept i might be wrong on this. Although i doubt it.

Liu has 3 pokes against reptile. Count em. 3. D3/b3/b1

Standing two whiffs all over reptile. Free d4. Or free dash and oki.
Lius d1 is ten frames. No one uses it.
Parry is ass. Who is still scared of it?

If you block a d3 you are in control.

Yes, i agree b312 is a monster in this matchup, and its a nightmare for reptile. But dont be scared of liu. He doesnt do nearly as much damage as people seem to think.

Im sure we will agree to disagree, thats what makes these things funsies. But I really do think reppy is aight here. This is a matchup for unsafe reptile. Not scurred reptile. :)
No top tier characters punish it harder but not many others. Cyrax, KL, Sonya, Smoke, Freddie and Kitana. Maybe Skarlet too.

He may only need three buttons, but that's more than reptile has at his disposal. 1 2 3 d4 all of which can be beat out by any of the ones you listed. Also standing 2 is still completely viable in the Matchup when trading jabs and pokes it will beat a lot of rep's shit.

Blocking d3 can be said for any MU.

Why are people under the impression that if Reptile players just dash more they become better? I played this way for like a year and a half and constantly got my ass handed to me at tournies. It's not being scared, it's not wanting to eat a 40% combo when I could've just poked, but the problem there are Reptile's pokes are booty buttcheeks. Once LK starts blocking dashes he has control all over again, because then it becomes a footsies game which he will win.

GGA Saucy Jack

No top tier characters punish it harder but not many others. Cyrax, KL, Sonya, Smoke, Freddie and Kitana. Maybe Skarlet too.

He may only need three buttons, but that's more than reptile has at his disposal. 1 2 3 d4 all of which can be beat out by any of the ones you listed. Also standing 2 is still completely viable in the Matchup when trading jabs and pokes it will beat a lot of rep's shit.

Blocking d3 can be said for any MU.

Why are people under the impression that if Reptile players just dash more they become better? I played this way for like a year and a half and constantly got my ass handed to me at tournies. It's not being scared, it's not wanting to eat a 40% combo when I could've just poked, but the problem there are Reptile's pokes are booty buttcheeks. Once LK starts blocking dashes he has control all over again, because then it becomes a footsies game which he will win.

I approve of booty buttcheeks, but i prefer doo doo butter when describing reptiles pokes.

And other characters punish hard. Its not just the damage. Scopion gets a vortex. NW gets lightning traps, so does raiden. Etc. Everyone punishes dash hard. Im not saying liu doesnt, im just saying its not a factor in the matchups. Lots of people fuck him up there.

Im not saying dash around like a YOLOSWAGMUFFIN, but im saying take the risk that you might eat a fireball or two trying to dash in. It happens. Im also not trying to sell you 7-3 reptile or anything like that. Im just saying that once reptile has taught liu that getting knocked down is bad, then liu has to respect dash even more. Reptile connecting a dash on liu is more than just 11 percent. :)

I also still vote for doo doo butter. Might change my handle for FR.

Edit: Difference between a random YOLO dash where you might eat a fire ball or two and being a YOLOSWAGMUFFIN who just dashes every block string I hope is evident. I just wanted to make sure my actual point got through despite my jovially trolly word choice. =)

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I approve of booty buttcheeks, but i prefer doo doo butter when describing reptiles pokes.

And other characters punish hard. Its not just the damage. Scopion gets a vortex. NW gets lightning traps, so does raiden. Etc. Everyone punishes dash hard. Im not saying liu doesnt, im just saying its not a factor in the matchups. Lots of people fuck him up there.

Im not saying dash around like a YOLOSWAGMUFFIN, but im saying take the risk that you might eat a fireball or two trying to dash in. It happens. Im also not trying to sell you 7-3 reptile or anything like that. Im just saying that once reptile has taught liu that getting knocked down is bad, then liu has to respect dash even more. Reptile connecting a dash on liu is more than just 11 percent. :)

I also still vote for doo doo butter. Might change my handle for FR.

Edit: Difference between a random YOLO dash where you might eat a fire ball or two and being a YOLOSWAGMUFFIN who just dashes every block string I hope is evident. I just wanted to make sure my actual point got through despite my jovially trolly word choice. =)
I know what you are trying to say, I'm just saying it really doesn't make as much of a difference as you think in the long run. Also, I got booty buttcheeks from boondocks lol.

If your Liu, don't iafb lol.
That means Spit which means knockdown which is good for us. Low ball is a great too for you. Clearly Liu has better footsie options up close, we lose that battle.

Just my 0.02

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
If your Liu, don't iafb lol.
That means Spit which means knockdown which is good for us. Low ball is a great too for you. Clearly Liu has better footsie options up close, we lose that battle.

Just my 0.02
Meh he shouldn't do it more because Reptile can get free fb's, his ground fireballs do plenty against him anyway.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
About Sektor, missiles aren't that good vs Reptile. When you get into the habit of techrolling every missile hit on a trade, and duckdashing them properly, they stop becoming a serious threat.

I for one hate the Liu match up. 6-4 Liu. But its hard man. Even if you get a knock down all he has to do is block right, counter poke and you are back to being fucked. Reptile can't maintain legit pressure without meter, the frame data just doesn't allow it so Liu will eventually get back to 0 and be at advantaged again.