What's new

Match-up Discussion Reptile Matchup Discussion Thread

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
Speaking of tier lists whatever happened to that Tier List Community Representative stuff? I believe THTB and I won that as the 2 with the most votes but did this just die lol

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
How does Reptile fair up against Kenshi? Liu is terrible in that MU. I've seen TylerLantern's Reptile go toe-to-toe with Pig's Kenshi, but they're both godlike.

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
Speaking of tier lists whatever happened to that Tier List Community Representative stuff? I believe THTB and I won that as the 2 with the most votes but did this just die lol
Me and THTB are the representatives. The discussion on Skype pretty much is dead lol. I've made updates to my tier list a page ago, and that takes into consideration some of your guys responses, my personal opinion and also I asked REO for his opinion. Unfortunately I don't think this porject will ever finish lol

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
How does Reptile fair up against Kenshi? Liu is terrible in that MU. I've seen TylerLantern's Reptile go toe-to-toe with Pig's Kenshi, but they're both godlike.
It's 5-5 imho, the strategies they both use for each other pretty much cancel each other out.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
No way that kunglao is even. Noooo way. Not as
bad as before but not even. And no way Sonya is 4-6 when night wolf is 7-3. Sonya should also be 3-7 or
at leastnw brought back down to 6-4

No way that kunglao is even. Noooo way. Not as
bad as before but not even. And no way Sonya is 4-6 when night wolf is 7-3. Sonya should also be 3-7 or
at leastnw brought back down to 6-4
You are right lol, its not even. Reptile might even win the KL x Reptile match up. Ive thought about this and I think reptile hit box and ex slow ball can really mess up kunglao tools.

With that being said. IM DONE with this 5-5 MU chart. If you say a "character has this, but this character has this but its riskier" then this is a bad MU. Its not a 5-5......I think the thing about this community is the denying of something is a bad MU. Just because a character has tools, it doesnt mean its efficient enough to make it even. Plus if people have so many 5-5 why do low, mid tier characters cant get top 8. So here is mine...

Baraka: 3.5 – 6.5 (Reptile has more tools, can build meter faster, can force baraka to spend meter, overall more aggressive)

Cyber Sub Zero: 5.5 – 4.5 (Dive kicks can be used to dash around fb, parry can shutdown dash pretty well. Reptile has a strong oki game around this, he has no armor when fb is used correctly)

Cyrax: 6 – 4 (Cyrax wins the case of limiting one of reptile's mobility by throwing out 70% net, he can rush down reptile pretty well, reptile cant take that much risk when fighting this guy. Reptile can zone him out full screen)

Ermac: 3 – 7 (This is a bad mu for ermac. Reptile can punish anything, he can pull out fbs for free, ermac has no armor, he has a hard time getting around fbs.)

Freddy Kruger: 5 – 5 (Might be even or FK adv. Need more testing)

Jade: 5 – 5 (This is not that bad considering she can purple armor, kill the forceball then pressure reptile into block string. Her offence is a little bit week, but she can zone out reptile.)

Jax: 4.5 – 5.5 (Not that bad considering how reptile can ex dash out of the corner when needed to, he only can punish dash with 17% so he has to respect dash a lot more than other characters. Jax has better footsies)

Johnny Cage: 5 – 5 (This is fucking even, jc player stfu lol. Its not hard getting around reptile projectiles, 13 fb can frame trap still, he builds meter when he is in. Reptile however can start offense whenever and build meter through zoning)

Kabal: 5 – 5 (Its pretty even considering fb can control iagb, so reptile control the meter game better than kabal. Kabal however has better rush down and reptile slow pokes is a pain in the ass)

Kano: 3.5 – 6.5 (He doesnt have anything except "ok" mix up, and semi good projectile. Reptile can have a really really strong oki game vs this character)

Kenshi: 5 – 5 (Armor can keep reptile out, but kenshi always has to respect the dash JIP combo. Ex fb can control can match pretty well but kenshi has ex charge to counter it. He can keep reptile out pretty well with good reads. 1 mistake from kenshi could be a game changer however)

Kitana: 5.5 – 4.5 (Even though kitana cant zone, she can rush down reptile so well its ridiculous. And 1 dash block is 50% with 1 bar. Reptile cant punish her that hard since everything about her is safe)

Kung Lao: 5 – 5 (I'd say even for now, but I think reptile might win this. I think KL really loses to reptile hitbox. Ex fb, can really shut down his teleport too.)

Liu Kang: 6 – 4 (After putting some thought into it I could see this is a bad mu. Liu kang wins the meter game, zoning, and rushdown. Reptile does have a bit better footsies with D4 ah I believe)

Mileena: 5.5 – 4.5 (the reason why this mu was bad was because of the frame trap and mileena kills reptile oki game. But I found a way to shut down ALL mileena ground game and learned how to punish that stupid frame trap.)

Night Wolf: 4 – 6 (Reptile dash beats shoulder charge, but fb/spit gets shut down by reflect. Reptile can shut down lightning due to mobility. D4 ah is a pretty good tool with this MU.)
Noob Saibot: 3 – 7 (can be punish for doing ANYTHING, close game reptile kills noob, fb gives him shitload of problem its ridiculous)

Quan Chi: 4 – 6 (a very momentum character. He has a hard time dealing with ex fb, and he cant burn meter. Very risky character, and the teleport isnt that good. Has decent projectile, no ground game, reptile oki might kill this character. Reptile also have better footsies)

Raiden: 5 – 5 (Get around fb, reptile has a hard time punishing teleport due to slow strings starter. Offense I do feel like they are the same)

Rain: (???)

Scorpion: 4 – 6 (Scorp overall cant start offense very well, reptile footsie is better. Can oki game this character pretty well)

Sektor: 6 – 4 (He can punish dash awesomely quick, missles build meter and zone out reptile, flame prevent dash JIP. Reptile can punish flame, if reptile gets momentum sektor might have problems getting up.)

Shang Tsung: 4 – 6

Sheeva: 4 – 6 (Reptile shuts down sheeva stomp, just dash and the stump will wiff then do fb/dash mix up. If she tele behind, option select 2 will come out and punish. Sheeva can shut down projectile with stomp and armor can get out of ex fb stuff)

Sindel: 3 – 7 (Bad....Bad Mu. 1 fb, and sindel will have a very very long day)

Skarlet: (???)

Smoke: 6 – 4 ( smoke shuts down reptile projectiles, smoke offense if better, he has 100% reset, reptile normal fb oki game get hit by teleport)

Sonya: 7 – 3 (Terrible, sonya= better footsies, far range, close range, safe armor destroy fb, dive kick punish dash, D4 is fucking ridiculous)

Striker: 3 – 7 (Yeahh... striker isnt keeping reptile from taking out that fb or getting in)

Sub Zero: 4 – 6 (reptile builds more meter, subzero has to becareful when putting up the clone due to spit/fb, becareful when use ice ball due to dash JIP. Reptile control this match overall, he forces sub to come in. Clone does make reptile respect the dash)

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Lol you're out of your mind if you think it's in reptiles favor. Too many tools that counters reptile. The onlything that saves him is his low hotbox

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Sindel and Ermac aren't that far in his favor (Ermac isn't even in his favor), and Sonya is not a 3-7 matchup.

Against Sindel, Reptile won't be getting forceballs on screen that easily due to her iaFBs, and Reptile's offense isn't like Cage's, so it's not as impossible to escape. She's cool on her feet, it's really only hard when Reptile knocks her down and can keep her knocked down.

Ermac controls the area where Reptile can dash very well. Yes, you can punish TKP, but so what? Ermac isn't gonna play totally stupid. Something I also think Ermac players don't do vs Reptile is iaTP forceballs. I'm not sure if it works, but I'm pretty sure iaB can stop dash.

Sonya is hard, but it's not that uphill. She can't zone forever simply because it just takes one trade with spit to set up forceballs. Footsies are hard vs her, but they're similarly as difficult on her end (dash still forces her to be cautious). Both characters can force out bad moves.

Lol you're out of your mind if you think it's in reptiles favor. Too many tools that counters reptile. The onlything that saves him is his low hotbox
Thats a big problem, considering ALL of kunglao starter strings miss. Thats a big deal, and he cant do instant 3 teleport either. Now tell me, what does kl do that would shut down reptile?

Sindel and Ermac aren't that far in his favor (Ermac isn't even in his favor), and Sonya is not a 3-7 matchup.
idk man, ive played against big D ermac. And I think its bad dude considering we were evenly match when I was really bad with reptile and he was good with ermac. Now I have learned the ermac MU and punish everything correctile, I think ermac will have to take a lot of risk while reptile does not.

I think its just the fact that the MK community tries to make everything "even" as much as possible. If everything is 6-4, then I dont even think counter pick should even exist tbh. I think the real question is "how bias are you when you are following the community bias?"

Does Big D even actually main Ermac full-time?
Yes, he is now playing a lot of ermac (a lot more than NW right now). We'll see how he'll do in the next tournament with him. Becareful Ohio lol, the south east is coming for you haha.

I think the thing about ermac is that ermac takes risk in this kind....Ermac push and do 12%? so what, reptile can block and dash for 11%+a powerful oki that ermac will have a hard time. And even if he wakes up, he'll get hit by the fb anyways and he'll back on the ground. The thing is at full screen, ermac would be afraid to throw out a projectile due to dash. Sure he can bait it, but reptile can do a dash then block then go for a combo. The risk is too high.

THTB

TKP in general limits Reptile at the ranges it reaches, and can be spaced to where Reptile CAN'T do anything to it. Also, the oki after dash is powerful, but there's no guarantee Reptile's gonna do anything with it. Realistically, it's great, but it's not foolproof, and it doesn't net a match.

I really don't think this matchup is as bad as everyone cracks it up to be.

hahahaha I feel like you always have a positive attitude in any match up. Reminds me of a friend of mind in competitive gaming, He played bottom tier characters and got top 8 at regionals (at like 60-100 people). He kept telling me how all his matches were 6-4 or 5-5 and he didnt give a fuck.

THTB

haha I feel like you always have a positive attitude in any match up. Reminds me of a friend of mind in competitive gaming, He plays bottom tier characters and get top 8 at regionals. He kept telling me how all his matches are 6-4 or 5-5 and he doesnt give a fuck.
It's moreso I just don't see people grinding to take bad matchups to a new level. Like when I got the chance to play Riu, Morty and Death at MLG, I got a chance to really see the Mileena and Sonya matchup and played it in an admittedly experimental way, that mostly worked simply because I took the initiative to figure out where these two characters had holes in their gameplan and what I could do to capitalize. I thought Sonya was 3-7 prior to that. I'm pretty sure all of them agree with me that the matchup is not that awful, and now Death just goes Sonya vs Reptile because the Mileena matchup wasn't even that favorable anymore. I feel that matchup is now a 5-5 easy.

It just takes a lot of grinding and thinking totally outside the box. I don't think players are outside the box enough in bad matchups.

So Im guessing Reptile is now over top 10 according to your definition, since he has no real bad match up? I mean even if he loses to lk its not even that bad.

THTB

I think he's top 10 or close to it. I feel he lacks any seriously terrible matchup, but his matchups aren't that favorable, and are more often than not simply even.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I play big Ds ermac quite a bit and although it is online I dominate that Mu simply because it is a definite bad Mu for ermac. You can ask
him yourself.

Ill be playing against him in the next week regional for MK, I doubt that he'll use ermac against me. Nevertheless, I seriously want to win this tournament though. Ill have to run through Noobe, big D, and Mesmerize probably the biggest 3. Other than that I dont see any other threats, maybe a good unknown player lol.

Mileena is honestly the only character I have trouble with. It's ridiculously hard to start my offense against any half decent one.

I get a forceball on the field - teleport
321 whiffs on D+4(WTF?!)

Anytime I find a hole in their strings I try to punish with dash and I go right through her...seriously? wtf?

Extremely frustrating matchup, and the only one that makes me want to counterpick

Mileena is honestly the only character I have trouble with. It's ridiculously hard to start my offense against any half decent one.

I get a forceball on the field - teleport
321 whiffs on D+4(WTF?!)

Anytime I find a hole in their strings I try to punish with dash and I go right through her...seriously? wtf?

Extremely frustrating matchup, and the only one that makes me want to counterpick
reptile D4 is better because he can cancel into a special. Learn to punish tele kick, you need to duck low initially. Use ex ball, she'll have a hard time. Dash take out roll, dash makes tele kick wiff then you can do any shenanigans. Dash d4 ah.

And dont jump a lot, or maybe any at all

I play online so it's pretty hard to punish the telekick. I watched pig's video on it and I can do it offline. I guess I'll have to start laming it out with d4 AHs and jump in kicks.