What's new

Match-up Discussion Reptile Matchup Discussion Thread

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Ask any sonya, but you have to take in consideration of when you ask any cage player vs Repile and they said that its a 7-3 mu because of "zoning". But if JC can get through zoning then it would make it an even match up. Same with sonya, just because sonya players dont have enough skill to get in, it doesnt mean its a bad mu.

Ask any JC player and they say that kitana x JC is like 7-3. Curbo showed that its like 5-5
what you're describing is not an even match up, you're describing good players working through bad matchups to make them look as if they were even.

sent from Gotham City via the batcomputer

No, but think about it. If a player knows how to get in, its an even match up and zoning isnt that good in this game anymore. Rui48 vs brady has always been 5v5 (just let sub pushes himself to the corner), ermac cant even poke out of sonya, and noob cant even either with no armor. No, noob projectile is shit, I dont think he even has a good MU at all. Ermac....1 push blocked, sonya has enough time to dash in and do a string.
And zoning in this game isnt good enough to keep a person out, but the dash is good enough to get a person in

Just block 2-4 projectiles for 4%-8 chip then you are in, if you get hit then its like what? 7%?. Sonya can do a lot more than 4% with 1 string.

And Im talking about the highest level of game play. Rushdown is better than zoning...
What I was talking about is that "it was a bad MU, but it wont be in the future" because rushdown characters will destroy zoning. The problem was that in the past, players didnt master the art of getting in yet and zoning seems to be strong. But now players seem to do it often, soon zoning might be gone from this game. Like UMK3

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
No, but think about it. If a player knows how to get in, its an even match up and zoning isnt that good in this game anymore. Rui48 vs brady has always been 5v5 (just let sub pushes himself to the corner), ermac cant even poke out of sonya, and noob cant even either with no armor. No, noob projectile is shit, I dont think he even has a good MU at all. Ermac....1 push blocked, sonya has enough time to dash in and do a string.
And zoning in this game isnt good enough to keep a person out, but the dash is good enough to get a person in

Just block 2-4 projectiles for 4%-8 chip then you are in, if you get hit then its like what? 7%?. Sonya can do a lot more than 4% with 1 string.

And Im talking about the highest level of game play. Rushdown is better than zoning...
What I was talking about is that "it was a bad MU, but it wont be in the future" because rushdown characters will destroy zoning. The problem was that in the past, players didnt master the art of getting in yet and zoning seems to be strong. But now players seem to do it often, soon zoning might be gone from this game. Like UMK3
Dude you are talking about every zoning character except kenshi lol. Kenshi doesn't have to worry about anything when people get in because ex spirit charge has armor puts sonya full screen again if she tries anything. If she blocks it then kenshi just gets a frame trap. This character is the best zoning character in the game and beats almost any character strictly because of his amazing tools he has to keep you out. He isn't worried when you get in either because he has amazing pokes as well, along with ex SC. There is just too much there to not beat out pure rushdown characters.

sent from Gotham City via the batcomputer

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments

Ermac has great AA tools and very good pokes and can whiff punish cartwheel hard and from a greater distance than most of the cast. Unless you're mindless doing TKP or TKL from sweep distance this isn't exactly an easy MU for her to get in. Yes, I've picked up Ermac lol.

RapZiLLa54

Oh and Kenshi is so god damn annoying to play. We had a casual tourney at VSM last night and I took fourth and I got knocked out by CDjr playing Kenshi. Came down to the wire and I made a few costly mistakes down the stretch but seriously this character is brain dead. It would be like if Reptiles dash provided EX forceball pushback and was -10 on block. Not saying I don't think the matchup is still even, just annoying lol.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
It's weird...you have to play him, pretty much either in his face, or right outside of charge range. EX charge cuts off everything Reptile can do, though. :/

RapZiLLa54

It's weird...you have to play him, pretty much either in his face, or right outside of charge range. EX charge cuts off everything Reptile can do, though. :/
Yep its basically a Reptile mirror, except the Reptile you're facing has armor on everything.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
sonya beats sub pretty easily... at full range sub cant trade as the rings are too fast and then sub hast to get in where sonya can ex cartweel through clones and dive kick over ice balls . game over

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
My upated matchup list after attending Flawless Victory. THTB RapZiLLa54 Joker8417 @sanatic Scoot Magee and everyone else who wants to participate

Baraka 6-4
Cyrax 5-5
Cyber Sub-Zero 5-5
Ermac 6-4
Jade 6-4
Jax 4-6
Johnny Cage 5-5 (4-6 on Pit)
Kabal 5-5
Kano 6-4
Kenshi 5-5 (4.5 - 5.5 on Rooftop, 5.5 - 4.5 on Pit)
Kitana 5-5
Kung Lao 4-6
Liu Kang 4.5-5.5
Mileena 4-6
Nightwolf 6-4
Noob Saibot 6-4
Quan Chi 5-5
Raiden 6-4
Rain 5-5
Scorpion 6-4
Sektor 4.5 - 5.5
Shang Tsung 6-4
Sheeva 6-4
Sindel 5-5
Skarlet 5-5
Smoke 4.5-5.5
Sonya 4-6
Stryker 6-4
Sub-Zero 5-5 (4-6 on Pit)
Freddy Krueger 5-5

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
My upated matchup list after attending Flawless Victory. THTB RapZiLLa54 Joker8417 @sanatic Scoot Magee and everyone else who wants to participate

Baraka 6-4
Cyrax 5-5
Cyber Sub-Zero 6-4
Ermac 6-4
Jade 6-4
Jax 4-6
Johnny Cage 5-5
Kabal 5-5
Kano 6-4
Kenshi 5-5
Kitana 6-4
Kung Lao 4-6
Liu Kang 4.5-5.5
Mileena 4-6
Nightwolf 6-4
Noob Saibot 6-4
Quan Chi 5-5
Raiden 5-5
Rain 5-5
Scorpion 5-5
Sektor 5-5
Shang Tsung 6-4
Sheeva 6-4
Sindel 5-5
Skarlet 5-5
Smoke 4.5-5.5
Sonya 4-6
Stryker 6-4
Sub-Zero 5-5
Freddy Krueger 5-5
I agree with all of it except, lk, jax, and smoke. Idk where everyone has gotten this new thing with Liu Kang being so hard?? It's easily even, when reptile gets in his Oki game destroys liu. It can be hard to get in, but no harder than mileena or kabal. Idk its weird to me.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

CitizenSnips

From my experience I've had trouble controlling Liu Kang with forceballs. Liu Kang definitely struggles on wakeup but I think he has a lot going for him in this match up. He has armored moves to get in, iafb and if LK starts the zoning war then Reptile has a really hard time getting in.

I'm pretty confident that Smoke beats Reptile. Could you tell me why you think otherwise?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
From my experience I've had trouble controlling Liu Kang with forceballs. Liu Kang definitely struggles on wakeup but I think he has a lot going for him in this match up. He has armored moves to get in, iafb and if LK starts the zoning war then Reptile has a really hard time getting in.

I'm pretty confident that Smoke beats Reptile. Could you tell me why you think otherwise?
I feel like this is just a pure 5-5 as well, smoke has to be weary about using bombs, reptile can't zone either, they both have to get in on each other but both have ways of keeping away, I feel like its a huge game of cat and mouse.
Edit: the thing about Liu kang's armor is that if you just charge an ex fb they are pretty much useless, flying kicks eats the fb and goes right by you because reps hitbpx is lower, and you can let go and block bicycle kick on reaction.

CitizenSnips

I feel like this is just a pure 5-5 as well, smoke has to be weary about using bombs, reptile can't zone either, they both have to get in on each other but both have ways of keeping away, I feel like its a huge game of cat and mouse.

Yes, I agree with your cat and mouse analogy.

The thing is that Reptile basically has 0 chance of zoning Smoke. Like the only thing you can maybe do is shoot a slow forceball and bait them to shake then elbow dash in and hit them with something. But this won't work more than once in a match. I agree that Smoke can't randomly be throwing smoke bombs at close/elbow dash range, but he can outside the range. Smoke's damage output is much higher than Reptile's which is another reason why I give Smoke the edge. So basically I think that Smoke negating all of Reptile's projectiles + higher damage potential outweighs Reptile's elbow dash punish and better pressuring.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Yes, I agree with your cat and mouse analogy.

The thing is that Reptile basically has 0 chance of zoning Smoke. Like the only thing you can maybe do is shoot a slow forceball and bait them to shake then elbow dash in and hit them with something. But this won't work more than once in a match. I agree that Smoke can't randomly be throwing smoke bombs at close/elbow dash range, but he can outside the range. Smoke's damage output is much higher than Reptile's which is another reason why I give Smoke the edge. So basically I think that Smoke negating all of Reptile's projectiles + higher damage potential outweighs Reptile's elbow dash punish and better pressuring.
I usually just use ex sfb and then go in and pressure, his damage outputs is obviously better due to the resets, but his resets aren't as consistent as most so you have to always be ready to react to that for if they mess up.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash

Baraka 6-4
Cyrax 5-5
Cyber Sub-Zero 6-4
Ermac 6-4
Jade 6-4
Jax 4-6
Johnny Cage 5-5
Kabal 5-5
Kano 6-4
Kenshi 5-5
Kitana 6-4
Kung Lao 4-6
Liu Kang 4.5-5.5
Mileena 4-6
Nightwolf 6-4
Noob Saibot 6-4
Quan Chi 5-5
Raiden 5-5
Rain 5-5
Scorpion 5-5
Sektor 5-5
Shang Tsung 6-4
Sheeva 6-4
Sindel 5-5
Skarlet 5-5
Smoke 4.5-5.5
Sonya 4-6
Stryker 6-4
Sub-Zero 5-5
Freddy Krueger 5-5
TBH I cant really give an accurate match chart but I think reptile does beat scorpion and is probably 5 - 5 with kitana. Sektor I think might have a slight advantage over reptile also.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash

Baraka 6-4
Cyrax 5.5-4.5
Cyber Sub-Zero 5-5
Ermac 6-4
Jade 6-4
Jax 4.5-5.5
Johnny Cage 5-5
Kabal 5-5
Kano 6-4
Kenshi 5-5
Kitana 5-5
Kung Lao 4.5-5.5
Liu Kang 4.5-5.5
Mileena 4-6
Nightwolf 6-4
Noob Saibot 6-4
Quan Chi 5-5
Raiden 5-5
Rain 5-5
Scorpion 6-4
Sektor 5-5
Shang Tsung 6-4
Sheeva 6-4
Sindel 6-4
Skarlet 5-5
Smoke 5-5
Sonya 3.5-6.5
Stryker 6.5-3.5
Sub-Zero 5-5
Freddy Krueger 4-6
Changed some stuff around.

I'll never understand why people think Freddy is a problem for Reptile.
M2dave took me 2-1 at mlg with Freddy. First game I got in and lit him up. And I was all "hella yeah top sixteen here I come!" Then the last two games he caught me full screen...yikes. granted a bit more patience would have helped but that shit was a nightmare.
Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
i dont agree with quite a few of these
i think:
smoke 5-5
sub zero 4.5-5.5 maybe 4-6
raiden 5.5-4.5
kenshi 5.5-4.5 to 6-4
cyber sub 5-5

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Reptile doesn't beat Kitana or Nightwolf, and Kenshi is for sure in Kenshi's favor. Same with Jax. Smoke is even.