What's new

Reptile General Discussion

Weekly reminder to buff reptile:
1.) not a single reptile in top 24
2.) new sonic fox, deo, xombat tier list says he’s bottom 5 but they don’t bother to even learn him well so could he lower
3.) honeybee says he’s bottom 5

buff reptile
Ok I've talked with some top players on YouTube/X and I'm convinced Reptile probably needs some small buffs, at minimum I think a buff to EX invisibility is rightfully warranted and hopefully a removal of B31 gap. I know Kameos cover this but it's a big reason top players don't used him because other characters don't have this type of gap on what's considered a staple string.
They basically said if it didn't have the gap they would consider maining him.
I think they mentioned a gap in EX reptile dash that can be flawless blocked and punished and unlike other characters he switches sides so Cyrax doesn't cover it.

I don't think these changes would make him anywhere broken definitely jump up tiers but not exactly Raiden/Johnny/Kenshi Tier.

BurdaA

Frost-Byte
Lao seems great. Only thing he’s missing as far as I can tell is mid combo invis setups.

Spit combos are great fun to lab. Not sure how practical they are, but a couple of tips I’ve found to make them more consistent (disclaimer - they certainly aren’t online for me yet!)…

If you’re starting with b31spit, dualsense (or I guess any vibrating controller) gives feedback at almost the perfect timing for the ambush-tele (almost exactly after it starts vibrating) not to react to, but a nice way to confirm your timing and what to follow up with. Before I noticed the vibration I was just sort of timing it briefly after the second hit of b31

Hold R1 until you’ve entered the j2. Enter j2 pretty early so it comes out at its peak (but not too early), seems easy enough here if you get tele timing right, but I’ve been reacting to the camera ‘snap’.

Even if you mess the timing slightly, on block the near guaranteed j2 let’s you hit/block confirm f23.

For the follow up I’ve been using
F23dashF23halfdash4DF3FmicrowalkF32ender

Sorry if it’s already known/elsewhere/old-hat. And defo let me know if I’m missing a trick somewhere.

All off b31…

bf4 ender
Single spit (397.39)
Single MB spit (424.36)
Double spit (415.19)

FB ender
Single spit (456.08)
Single MB spit (483.16)
Double spit (451.61 lol)

Invis/no ender (dmg ends at f32)
Single spit (378.92)
Single MB spit (405.99)
Double spit (403.81)

imo almost always better to use second assist for invis/low-hat or something instead

They nerfed reptile. NRS is a joke honestly. Normal invis takes longer to activate now making his normal invis combos much less effective.

done with the game.. what a joke

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
They nerfed reptile. NRS is a joke honestly. Normal invis takes longer to activate now making his normal invis combos much less effective.

done with the game.. what a joke
PFFFFFT HAHAHAH WTF

I'm assuming the EX invis is now either still unchanged, or what normal invis was before the patch

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Can anyone with the actual patch tell me if EX invis does something now? Steam has got the Wu Shi stage at night but nothing else. Why even bother deploying that is beyond me tbh

I saw someone say Reptile got a damage buff. Can someone confirm if thats true? Us Reptile fans are losing, he's like bottom 3-5

Dolphin-Dive

Observer
For those who are on PC, you can view videos of some of the changes in the #MK1_REPTILE tag on Twitter.
Latest updates:
-Better scaling on fatal blow during combos. His overall damage is apparently 2-3% higher as well, seems underwhelming honestly.
-EX Invisibility makes you go invisible slightly faster it seems. Haven’t seen any comments on other effects.
-His J12 string has a new hit effect, allowing for new juggle potential in the corner, not sure about midscreen. Could lead to higher damage as well than what we currently have.

Haven’t seen or read anything else.

Last edited:
EX invisibility is very obviously different from the vanilla one now. The vanilla one takes about 3 seconds to get invisible, and the invisibility lasts like 4 seconds. The EX one takes like 1 second to get invis, lasts something in the region of 7-8ish seconds.

I still don't love that it goes away on block, but honestly that fact forces opponents that know that to go on the offensive if they want to stop the invisibility. That means they risk getting caught with something like a dropping fangs into an additional few seconds of invisibility if they decide to do something about it, or just accept that the next thing you do you're invisible for.

Lanqu

Noob
Hm are you saying, that now basically any f32, ex invis ender will give a better version of what we could have got earlier only with Scorpion and couple of other cameos?
TBH Scorpion is still great for damage and meterless setup and OH, but other cameos now become more powerful. Stryker arise! Even Sareena can cover going to the invis. However, the price of 1 meter and 1 cameo for a juicy setup feels a bit too pricey for the amount of juice we are getting :D

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
So, as I dont have the patch yet (PC), I've been theorycrafting. Could it be that this regular invis being slower startup actually useful? Before, we would not end combos with f32 death roll because, by the time we were done, we had like 1 sec of invis. Maybe now the timing is such that the actual invis starts precisely when the f32 roll combo ends. Could someone test this? It would mean more combo damage and a realiable ender instead of ending things with f3 dash, or forceball to knock them far away.

Lanqu

Noob
from what I see on Ps now - the regular invis is as it was before. Only the ex has been changed. No damage buff, just the speed of how he enters the full invis is improved.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
from what I see on Ps now - the regular invis is as it was before. Only the ex has been changed. No damage buff, just the speed of how he enters the full invis is improved.
Are you positive that the regular invis is unchanged? If so, it would mean Reptile got only minor buffs instead of presumably a minor stealth nerf. If Cage and Kenshi get nerfed into oblivion soon, like Baraka and Cyrax, then I could see Reptile being an okay character tournament wise, his other matchups arent as bad.

Lanqu

Noob
Yeah, these are positive changes. I think it is pretty good that any combo can be ended into a safe invis invocation using f32. However, I think it is fair to ask for a longer duration for such a long fade-in effect.

Regular Invis definitely got nerfed. The combo I used to do had me gone by the time I ended it (B31 Forceball, F23, F32 Kameo/Invis, Forceball, J23 dash). Now they can still see me after that, so time to find a new invis combo.

Regular Invis definitely got nerfed. The combo I used to do had me gone by the time I ended it (B31 Forceball, F23, F32 Kameo/Invis, Forceball, J23 dash). Now they can still see me after that, so time to find a new invis combo.
Oh, but a huge buff Reptile seems to have gotten (based off my training mode testing), is that his F23's whiffing issues seem to have been improved.

SnowboardRX

^ You have no idea who this guy is ^
-his air 12 string has a new hit effect, allowing for new juggle potential in the corner, not sure about midscreen. Could lead to higher damage as well than what we currently have.
Yea i noticed this one last night as now, Starter, F23, Jump1,2 > Scorpion Far call doesn't seem to combo anymore. The person now falls farther behind Scorpion, not allowing that route to happen anymore.

Dolphin-Dive

Observer
Sub-Zero Kameo is one of the few (Possibly the ONLY) kameos that still allows you to be completely invisible after F32 with meterless invisibility.
In fact, you’ll remain invisible longer during setups and combos than you did before. This is ironically due to the longer duration time needed to become truly invisible.
Can’t say I feel there’s much incentive to use the new MB invisibility with this pair, I suppose it’ll serve the other Kameos better.
One thing I definitely dislike about this EX version is the new “Slime” effect. Despite the fact that you turn invisible quickly, that slime that surrounds Reptile for a slight duration makes it easier to perceive his moves in my opinion.
In a way you end up with almost exactly the same duration as pre-patch invisibility to become “Fully” invisible, without that goo giving you away.

Before the patch, Reptile would have been revealed after completing the enders shown in this video. Nice, since you can now get more corner carry, damage, and the mixup on wakeup.

His new J12 also seems to be a decent anti-air or air-to-air mid-screen or near the corner

Last edited:
Trying to do this combo in training mode:

F24
-
Far Scorpion Breath
-
Enhanced Acid Bubble
-
Air F233
-
Far Scorpion Breath
-
F32
-
Enhanced Death Roll
I personally can't get the 2 in f32 to connect bit I don't play Scorpion Kameo, I just am trying in the lab rn haha