What's new

Reptile General Discussion

josephf5

Noob
People probably already know this, but I just discovered it and figured I’d share for anyone else late to the party like me. You can cancel Reptile’s b2 into Acid Spit as an anti air if you think they’re going to jump at you.

Just a weekly reminder that reptile is bottom 3 trash in this game. Top players are now easily exposing many gaps in his best strings and specials. The mb invisibility “buff” was clearly a nerf since now you have to use meter to use invisibility at all when before the normal invisibility worked perfectly fine in his combos.

Honeybee has now dropped the character

Here is another top player putting him in the bottom two in his tier list.

I need all you up players to please apologize at this point

Skybox

Noob
Ehh, he's green. I'll continue maining him so that I'm better when he gets buffed
Just a weekly reminder that reptile is bottom 3 trash in this game. Top players are now easily exposing many gaps in his best strings and specials. The mb invisibility “buff” was clearly a nerf since now you have to use meter to use invisibility at all when before the normal invisibility worked perfectly fine in his combos.

Honeybee has now dropped the character

Here is another top player putting him in the bottom two in his tier list.

I need all you up players to please apologize at this point

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Ehh, he's green. I'll continue maining him so that I'm better when he gets buffed
This has been my line of thought too. If I can score some wins NOW with this bottom tier character against Johnny, Ashrah and Raiden, then Imma be fine when he gets buffed. If he doesnt, on the Omni Man patch, then Im dropping him like a sack of shit lol

@Blakfellow I was wrong. I still play him, but I was still naive. He's definitely bottom of the cast, but when people like Deoxys are winning with Nitara, who is also bottom tier, it's hard to say he's not a competent character in this game just because he's bottom tier.

I heavily recommend you use the Kameo system to plug his issues rather than compliment his strength, which I've noticed in this game usually makes a weaker character, but his gaps are coverable, albeit somewhat sketch-ily so, with Stryker Grenades, Expensive Cyrax Forward Copter, Sektor Up Rocket if timed properly, and even Slow EX ForceBall if you don't wanna rely on the Kameo. Same deal with the overhead being punishable.

He's usable, but yeah, I don't think he can compete at the highest level. I'm not gonna apologize though, that'd be corny.

@Blakfellow I was wrong. I still play him, but I was still naive. He's definitely bottom of the cast, but when people like Deoxys are winning with Nitara, who is also bottom tier, it's hard to say he's not a competent character in this game just because he's bottom tier.

I heavily recommend you use the Kameo system to plug his issues rather than compliment his strength, which I've noticed in this game usually makes a weaker character, but his gaps are coverable, albeit somewhat sketch-ily so, with Stryker Grenades, Expensive Cyrax Forward Copter, Sektor Up Rocket if timed properly, and even Slow EX ForceBall if you don't wanna rely on the Kameo. Same deal with the overhead being punishable.

He's usable, but yeah, I don't think he can compete at the highest level. I'm not gonna apologize though, that'd be corny.

Haha no need to apologize I’m just exaggerating but yea of course you can still win with him. He’s not unusable but without a doubt he is not viable at a high level and is easily bottom 5 in the game imo bottom 3 competing for the worst in the game.

Another huge issue with this character is that his best string b313 can’t be linked into any special moves. Not only that but any special cancel can easily be interrupted except elbow dash which we should all know by know is death on block for both the normal and mb version.

I wasn’t really planning on posting this but maybe this will help some of you in the forum. Here is some of my gameplay vs some top players such as gambler, the mighty unjust, grr, etc.

I want to clarify that I cherry picked these sets and there have been many other sets where they have beaten me. Hopefully it helps someone here

Sektor can def be very good. I don’t really see a kameo that you can say with certainty is the best for reptile.

One of the biggest issues imo is using a kameo that doesn’t let you maximize damage if you connect with b31 at max range where you have to use fast forceball first.

That’s one of the issues with sektor.
Scorpion, sub, Stryker don’t have that problem.

Interestingly enough, kung Lao kameo does have that problem but since it is so strong, it can compensate that weakness

Dolphin-Dive

Observer
Since I happen to be a PC player, I thought I'd share an early look at Reptile with Crystalline. Technically, you CAN have the armor and be invisible at the same time, using the ambush version with F32xinvis seems to be a reliable way to do this. However, if they happen to hit you with a reversal, the invisibility unfortunately DOES goes away. But at the very least, you get a full punish if they do this, so perhaps there will be some room for freestyling.

This is still a rather costly setup, your entire Kameo resource plus a bar of meter, not sure If I'm sold on this yet but maybe we'll find better setups soon.
Honestly, if only we were able to perform summons with F32, you wouldn't even need to use the ambush version version of crystal armor here, and Reptile would have some serious synergy with other Kameos on wake-up as well. Maybe one day.

Last edited:

Dolphin-Dive

Observer
Tremor's Metallic variation can be used to setup HTBs with the ambush version of Rolling Rock. You can set this up during J244 and F32, and do a J2 in combination with the low the ambush gives. Very similar to some of the Low Hat setups we've seen in the game from characters like Sindel, but with a bigger cost and a longer cooldown. The rock throw summons in general might add to Reptile's space control game as well.

Aftershock feels very plain for Reptile from my testing, having Forceball gives less of a need for a Kameo launcher in my eyes. I'd wager we'll be spending most of our Kameo resources on the other two variations.

Last edited:

xBlaze_13

Y NO CHAMELEON!?
The fact that tremors ambush not only takes up the whole bar, but also has a slow startup since he always has to do that stupid pose first before the move makes it useless imo. Well I guess those that just want to spam crystal armor will find uses for him.

The only practical Tremor thing I can find for Rep is switching out his forceball for the launcher because Tremor's launcher is safe. I haven't tested if this results in anything cool yet, but it's also a launcher that isn't a forceball, so in principle it adds to the number of consecutive forceballs you can use.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
The only practical Tremor thing I can find for Rep is switching out his forceball for the launcher because Tremor's launcher is safe. I haven't tested if this results in anything cool yet, but it's also a launcher that isn't a forceball, so in principle it adds to the number of consecutive forceballs you can use.
Have you found any useful way to utilise the ground pound with him? I think Reptile's most glaring issue as a base character is the lack of mixups that lead to anything - which IMO is why Scorpion is his best kameo, you get a sneaky overhead and can combo from tail swipe. Maybe the ground pound can enforce some kind of mix?

Have you found any useful way to utilise the ground pound with him? I think Reptile's most glaring issue as a base character is the lack of mixups that lead to anything - which IMO is why Scorpion is his best kameo, you get a sneaky overhead and can combo from tail swipe. Maybe the ground pound can enforce some kind of mix?
IMO, his best option if you want to do mixups is Stryker or find some way to consistently be invisible. Stryker also gives you some safety with his grenades. Honestly though, I've moved to Ashrah because I'm tired of working so damn hard to just play the game lol.

josephf5

Noob
I just saw Sonic Fox post that Cyrax is Reptile’s best Kameo. Even before the nerfs I never really tried him with Cyrax or can recall seeing anyone play him with Cyrax. Is there anyone here who plays him with Cyrax who can elaborate on this pairing?

I just saw Sonic Fox post that Cyrax is Reptile’s best Kameo. Even before the nerfs I never really tried him with Cyrax or can recall seeing anyone play him with Cyrax. Is there anyone here who plays him with Cyrax who can elaborate on this pairing?
I have played scorpion, Stryker, cyrax, subzero, kung lao, and motaro kameos extensively and I can assure you that is not his best kameo. You could have maaaaybe made an argument for it prepatch but certainly not now.

His normal invisibility set ups are sub par. His back throw combo is extremely inconsistent. His ambush pressure is now too expensive. He actually gets lower damage than Stryker, scorpion and sub zero for the sake resources.

Sonic fox I can confidently say is talking out of their ass at this point when it comes to reptile.

There is not a single thing that cyrax does for reptile that Stryker doesn’t do better at this point. The only thing maybe is the b2 hold slide combo on the corner that’s it