What's new

General/Other - Reptile Reptile Bottom 5

Bottom 5 Yeees?

• Yes

Votes: 135 39.0%
  • NO

Votes: 211 61.0%

• Total voters
Rapzilla "the guy" created the topic with a list of changes, with a needed dmg buff and other stuffs, maybe clearly he wants more than only the dmg buff.

The misinformation thing was about the above things.

One of the point of the discussion is the viability of the forceball, not her usage, it has his tricks and combos, but the problem is the startup frames and recovery, I thought it was cleared in the topic.
Okay so what is the misinformation I was spreading? Where did you see me mention any of that?

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
I understand the controversy over this post. Reptile is a very polarizing character and possibly the toughest one to balance but in all honesty he needs some help as a character. There are a lot of people on this thread that hate reptile and know nothing about his mkx iteration but are saying he's super good because they don't want this character to be a threat and they already feel threatened by an underpowered character.

This version of reptile is nothing like mk9 and people seem to think he's retained the same level of competition. Reptile has to seriously work so hard and it's not worth it right now. Forceballs are ass and he has to mix you up so many times to win especially when he has so meter.

now I'm not excusing the reptile community from crying all the time -- I hate to see it as much as everyone but tym needs to chill the fuck out already

Israel

Noob
Why would it be too good?? That doesn't make sense at all.. He doesn't have any fast pokes to back it up.. And besides f32 tbey have slow recovery
Cuz that string already works wonders on its own now, with its current frames. If it were neutral... it would be too good. Just pay attention to how often that string hits. or just f42 alone.

All those things are useless on their own. They serve to help F412 because it's the fastest follow-up to them
Exactly. They serve f412. so gotta use them. If the string was neutral... their wouldnt be a point in using anything else but that.

Now, dont think it needs to be neutral because you mainly have to block afterwards. Thats with everything string. But knowing that its negative, you use that to your advantage. Gotta mix it up bro.

(if the string was -4 that would be fine)

lmao funny how every mk game everyone wants buffs for their said character. someones gotta fill the low tier slot. and thats all ill say

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Exactly. They serve f412. so gotta use them. If the string was neutral... their wouldnt be a point in using anything else but that.

Now, dont think it needs to be neutral because you mainly have to block afterwards. Thats with everything string. But knowing that its negative, you use that to your advantage. Gotta mix it up bro.

(if the string was -4 that would be fine)
I don't think you understand. Those strings are + on block, F412 being neutral won't change their use. Let's stay 141 gets blocked in the corner, you're at +2 so F4 would come out in 7f. A regular F412 stagger would still have 9f gaps giving Reptile a slight offense boost against non-6f pokers. They can still always armor out. And those strings are only really effective in the corner where there's no pushback to them. 141 being +2 midscreen doesn't do shit for Reptile since his follow-up would be F21 which comes out in 13f, making it come out in 11f, yay, such usefulness.

As a reptile main I feel like he needs something but at the same time I feel like depending what the buffs are he could be a little too good I think he's fine at the moment except for faster pokes and dash

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
huge IMO post

My current reptile issues:

-Pounce is too negative for the risk taken, -74 is it?
-Normal Db2 claw should not be as negative as it is since it grants almost no guaranteed situation other than dash up and wait to d4
-Regular dash and EN dash have no difference in frame data, why not make the en dash a frame or two faster to warrant the use of meter like his slide?
-Force ball is a risk in the first place, so why not make the start up a little faster or at least let you cancel it sooner than you can currently? you're using a resource.
-He has issues building meter, especially for a character that needs meter for pretty much everything: force ball combos, to combo off of dash, to start a combo off of f21, to start pretty much any combo he needs meter (which all options should should stay unsafe)
-One super flaw that bum pointed out to me was that if reptile has a bad match up, its simply a bad match up, there are no tools across his variations that change his gameplay in anyway so hes pretty much fucked regardless of variation.

His normal pounce, and claw should not be as negative as they are for the risks taken. All armored launchers should stay unsafe since they actually are worth the risk.

I think his b2,b34, f21, 14 are all good strings and don't need any changes.

What if deceptive was given mid force balls with a little faster start up? Would it give people more of a reason to play deceptive? currently it offers nothing more than invisibility that is on a low timer and takes forever to get out. I don't want the character to be broken, but the issues are ones i feel need addressing.

Otherwise i think the character is alright, with a few tweaks he can compete better in the current meta.

Israel

Noob
I don't think you understand. Those strings are + on block, F412 being neutral won't change their use. Let's stay 141 gets blocked in the corner, you're at +2 so F4 would come out in 7f. A regular F412 stagger would still have 9f gaps giving Reptile a slight offense boost against non-6f pokers. They can still always armor out. And those strings are only really effective in the corner where there's no pushback to them. 141 being +2 midscreen doesn't do shit for Reptile since his follow-up would be F21 which comes out in 13f, making it come out in 11f, yay, such usefulness.
I agree with you on the 141 being +2 mid screen. really doesnt do anything but id rather have it be plus then negative.

I still say it would be too good. What other character in the game has a 3hit string, all being mid, 2nd hit being overhead, ..combos, and gets knockdown if hit, and safe? i cant think of any right now but lets say their are some...how many characters have that? If you recall, in mk9 he only had 1 string. in this game..he has several. b3,4 , 141, 21, f412... this is heaven to me, idk bout yall Lol. I just mean that as, fighting off negative frames is nothing new to us. if he had a safe special , like the db2 being -4 'Like you guys stated'..(ive been thinking, that is good) then the mixup will be even better.

Did Paulo really say its in the mix? Or you guys trolling? :/ If you're not I just hope we get a more balanced game before Evo.

Also, listen to some of the things Maximilian had to say...

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I think faster start up but not recovery on fb would be good. It would allow hard knockdown setups to be practical and not be OD in the neutral game.

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
No, anyone who plays this game seriously should know you can't cancel sweeps into specials, why should I even need to explain that. Never did I say cancel sweep into forceball. If you guys had spent enough time with the character you would assume that it was forceball run in sweep.

Having that said were you guys aware of this or not. Because as of right now it seems you guys and cossner didnt know about this.
Can you explain to me why exactly you're acting like this tech is some kind of godsend that should propel him? His recovery on fbs currently don't allow for him to get in front of a slowball with an opponent grounded so how is this practical unless your opponent is sleeping?

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
.........What? His frame data is of much more concern to me and most of the Reptile players than his damage. Damage buff even if hes shitting out like 40% 1 bar combos mid screen won't change the fact that he can't deal with the entire cast in his face. He just becomes the new Takeda with less tools.
The only thing that might be a saving grace is that meter is built based on damage as well

so maybe DOING more damage will give us slightly more meter?

I agree. But hey... if he's getting a damage buff.... who knows what the numbers are....

I still wish forceballs were their own variation :(

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
So what's this stupid tech that reptile can do? Lol do an unsafe fb setup (virtually every 1 is unsafe including on knockdown) and then do a sweep? Godlike

So that takes literally over 1000 frames to do.

Reptile being able to do a sweep and a force all changes absolutely nothing..

The complete tards of tym...seriously

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
I'm not asking for a brain dead easy mash character like everyone else, but reptile is the only character now that can't just mash like an absolute fool. So make his force balls better because he can't just mash pokes like the rest of the cast.

I'm ok with using my brain

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I agree with you on the 141 being +2 mid screen. really doesnt do anything but id rather have it be plus then negative.

I still say it would be too good. What other character in the game has a 3hit string, all being mid, 2nd hit being overhead, ..combos, and gets knockdown if hit, and safe? i cant think of any right now but lets say their are some...how many characters have that? If you recall, in mk9 he only had 1 string. in this game..he has several. b3,4 , 141, 21, f412... this is heaven to me, idk bout yall Lol. I just mean that as, fighting off negative frames is nothing new to us. if he had a safe special , like the db2 being -http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Irony+yes+i+ll+shoot+myself+after+this+pun+promise+d_e1f7b1_3290211.jpg4 'Like you guys stated'..(ive been thinking, that is good) then the mixup will be even better.
Aside B34 and F412, all his other strings are strictly for pressure and pressure alone does nothing unless it leads to damage. And B34 and F412 ENDS his pressure unless the opponent is scared to press a button. As of now, the only solid way to get an oppnent scared is EX Swipe. Reptile sacrifices 30% + potential health for a CHANCE to get damage? There's a clear problem in the risk/reward sector here.

In MK9 he only had 321 because it was the only tool necessary for offense aside from pokes and Acid Hand. This game is very different to MK9 so the comparison is irrelevant.

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
Actually I take it back Jason and mileena can't mash and they're in the same boat as reptile. Underwhelming and disadvantaged against most everyone

He started out as the first character I kind of jelled with and was going to main him until I started to feel he was bad.

I definitely agree that his F412 string needs to be neutral as I basically use it that way now. But he has no other strings that he can really stagger. I also agree that he needs better pokes. 9 frames doesn't cut it pal. But I would take F21 string being zero on block.

He needs a buff to his force balls as well... right now they are ridiculously slow to recover after you use them. Like, I think I've successfully been able to stop like... 2 forceballs mid flight b/c the opponent is either blocking them or jumping them by the time I can stop them. =/

Don't really care about the damage though... 33% for a bar isn't that bad... especially if you can get out some noxious setups.
I had the same issue. I picked him as a main when I first got the game, but it quickly became clear to me that he wasn't a top character. Top characters in my opinion have three things: A teleport, a "freeze", and a long distance directional attack. A perfect example of this is Scorpion. I did not choose him because that is boring, but I chose Quan Chi because he satisfies all of these criteria. I do miss using Reptile though and I want to start using him again as a secondary since I currently don't have a secondary. But I'm wondering if he is worth trying to learn given his limitations. His variations are horrible. What they should do to even the playing field is give him a special force ball that freezes the opponent.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
No, anyone who plays this game seriously should know you can't cancel sweeps into specials, why should I even need to explain that. Never did I say cancel sweep into forceball. If you guys had spent enough time with the character you would assume that it was forceball run in sweep.

Having that said were you guys aware of this or not. Because as of right now it seems you guys and cossner didnt know about this.
What you wrote originally (force ball combos from a sweep) and "put a forceball then run and sweep" are 2 completely different things. You word things poorly and then you blow up people for not understanding you lol either way, why would that change anything and who is gonna just stand there waiting to get hit by that? Lawl

RYX

BIG PUSHER
i was very misinformed about reptile, he's definitely a bit lacking

but I don't think the damage buff is the way to go, just seems like a cheap band-aid fix, and if they ever actually buff his moveset too he might get really strong

would rather see more interesting fixes to his game-play, I actually really liked the f412 string being neutral on every hit, but his specials seem worse off in general

Any of you guys remember the glorious days of the Human Reptile skin? That would be a buff I would take full advantage of

We already took one nerf (the Kraken skin) lol enough is enough. I'm tired of being birdman daddy

qspec

Noob
Did Paulo really say its in the mix? Or you guys trolling? :/ If you're not I just hope we get a more balanced game before Evo.

Also, listen to some of the things Maximilian had to say...

He still getting a ton of FB out at all kinds of different ranges contrary to what this thread says... and he's winning a lot more than he's losing. If the damage buff is really confirmed (and people already complaining that it isn't enough), then I think Reptile is sitting alright.

@DubiousShenron

The difference between the Mileena community and this one is pretty fucking telling. Before even her first buff making telekick no longer punishable on hit, they were optimistic to the point of obnoxious. Meanwhile, Reptile threads...

Can you explain to me why exactly you're acting like this tech is some kind of godsend that should propel him? His recovery on fbs currently don't allow for him to get in front of a slowball with an opponent grounded so how is this practical unless your opponent is sleeping?
I am just asking whether you guys are aware of this and a lot of you guys were apparantly not aware of it. But you guys can shrug a low launcher off like you just did after hearing reptile will get buffs. You can go back to the beginning of this thread, I am not against reptile buffs neccessarily. I clearly said be reasonable with the buffs instead of asking for a 6 frame dash+ a bunch of other buffs.

What you wrote originally (force ball combos from a sweep) and "put a forceball then run and sweep" are 2 completely different things. You word things poorly and then you blow up people for not understanding you lol either way, why would that change anything and who is gonna just stand there waiting to get hit by that? Lawl
I guess all reptile players think you can special cancel sweeps then.

And I am sorry you can't just run up with your forceball and 50/50 people all day that easily. You guys act like a low is your only option when you run up.

You guys want better frame data on normals AND better recovery on forceballs. You want better pokes AND a 6 frame dash.