What's new

Reinstalled MKX

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Last edited:

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
The combos in this game we so much fucking fun. What NRS did to them in MK11 is absolutely shameful. Even the little things like throwing in a whiffed special mid-combo to build meter just felt right.

And I believe what @Cobainevermind87 said is true - you can D2 after the lift in the first combo for more damage and it looks even swaggier.
Yep. If I was feeling ballsy, I'd meter burn grab them after the d2 and make them guess between the f4/b3 into full combo.

There's also a swaggy ass combo where you can connect a b12 after d2ing them out of the corner. I think you just have to forgo the the NJP before the tele hang. But once you have them hanging in the corner, you can njp into immediate d2, they fly over you, b12~tele hang brute. Purely just for show after they're already dead obviously, but yeah.

Espio

Kokomo
Cybersub and mystic Ermac are my mains. Followed by smoke and demo Sonya.

Yeah I'm not coming back.
Demo Sonya is really fun, I used to play her from time to time. I also was big on the Special Forces Drone set ups. MKX Sonya was a good blend of classic Sonya and tech Sonya.

I had fun with every MK game. Nothing wrong with going back and playing classics. But to keep it a buck.....its crazy how the same cycle repeats itself every game. People bash it while it's the current game. Then when the next game comes out "you know mk9 and mkx was better than I thought". Same thing will happen with mk11.

Last edited:
I had fun with every MK game. Nothing wrong with goimg back and playing classics. But to keep it a buck.....its crazy how the same cycle repeats itself every game. People bash it while it's the current game. Then when the next game comes out "you know mk9 and mkx was better than I thought". Same thing will happen with mk11.
I'm very curious to see if that's the case. I agree the "cycle" you mention is a thing, but gameplay-wise, Mortal Kombat 11 is quite the departure from the previous two. It will be interesting to see if people go back to it, and start praising it.

John Grizzly

People bash it while it's the current game. Then when the next game comes out "you know mk9 and mkx was better than I thought". Same thing will happen with mk11.
I highly doubt it.

You know the only way this happens? It's if NRS makes MK12 even more boring than MK11......and still people will be talking about all previous NRS titles other than MK11.

Myself and MANY other people loved MK9, INJ1, MKX and INJ2. I'm sick of the "rose colored glasses" defense. MK11 visually is incredible, but it's mind-numbingly boring and it's dying quickly because of that. And if you thought it was boring to play....it's even more boring to watch. I can't say the same for any of the previous NRS titles. I enjoy them all to this day.

People are bored to tears with MK11. I've been bored with it about a month after release. There's no chance someone two years from now will say "I found a new optimal for Liu Kang!" Nope. Enjoy 1,2 into double amplified bicycle kicks and if you're lucky, a throw animation for the 19th time that match.

I highly doubt it.

You know the only way this happens? It's if NRS makes MK12 even more boring than MK11......and still people will be talking about all previous NRS titles other than MK11.

Myself and MANY other people loved MK9, INJ1, MKX and INJ2. I'm sick of the "rose colored glasses" defense. MK11 visually is incredible, but it's mind-numbingly boring and it's dying quickly because of that. And if you thought it was boring to play....it's even more boring to watch. I can't say the same for any of the previous NRS titles. I enjoy them all to this day.

People are bored to tears with MK11. I've been bored with it about a month after release. There's no chance someone two years from now will say "I found a new optimal for Liu Kang!" Nope. Enjoy 1,2 into double amplified bicycle kicks and if you're lucky, a throw animation for the 19th time that match.
I myself, and many others, LOVED those games you mentioned. But everyone had complaints In each of those games. Every single one. And the same thing happened everytime. "why did we stop playing MK9? All it needed was one more patch." "MKX was really good at the end of its life with the last patch. I wish it had more support". I'm just pointing out how this happens every game.

Also as far as MK11 goes, just bc you want it to die doesn't mean it's dead. If you don't like game that's cool. But just bc the game is dead to you doesn't mean it's dead to everyone else.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
You know, no matter which NRS game someone plays (or none at all), it's objectively cool that each one still has a dedicated fan following. No matter which ones fill your personal fun-quotient, you can find games and fellow fans.

It's also objectively super cool that this long after a game's release, fans are still finding new tech and new combo paths. Whatever its faults, MKX has a rich, complex combo system, and that's one of the reasons its fans love it. This thread would be a cool place to discuss that, if we could only keep it on that topic.

What's most definitely not cool is to subvert this thread and turn it into just one more droning, circular, and bitter "WE HATE MK11!" thread. Yah... we know. Because it's been said 1 x 10^100 times already.

Constructive criticism is one thing; reasonable suggestions about how to improve mechanics like breakaway, wakeups, fatal blows, etc. are always useful. But if you're someone who realized very quickly that MK11 is not, never could be, never will be, a game that feels fun to you, what exactly is the point of continuing to complain about that? Attention seeking? Trying to bring down others who do like the game?

Whatever. You have free speech. Just saying, there have to be at least two or three MK11 rant-fest threads active at any given time for posting hate messages. Can we maybe just keep this thread on the topic of MKX nostalgia, new combos, and what not?

I just bought it too, never played it before but shockingly so far have a 3:1 record online. Maining kenshi possessed but looking for a more rushdown secondary. Anyone know the best stagger/reset characters? Was trying d’vorah swarm queen but not enjoying the execution on those wasp grenade cancels

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I just bought it too, never played it before but shockingly so far have a 3:1 record online. Maining kenshi possessed but looking for a more rushdown secondary. Anyone know the best stagger/reset characters? Was trying d’vorah swarm queen but not enjoying the execution on those wasp grenade cancels
Hollywood Cassie. Great rushdown, good plus frames, great buttons, vortex (unsafe) and decent zoning.

I had fun with every MK game. Nothing wrong with going back and playing classics. But to keep it a buck.....its crazy how the same cycle repeats itself every game. People bash it while it's the current game. Then when the next game comes out "you know mk9 and mkx was better than I thought". Same thing will happen with mk11.
Mostly agree, but the difference is:
MKX: I would like some mechanics to be changed/adjusted
MK11: I would like a shit ton of mechanics to be changed/adjusted, plus I want 10 more strings and 5 special moves for every character

Smoke. Plus frames (ex smoke bomb), great mids, vortex reset into 50/50, no run cancels or hard execution shit.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I wish I had the time to get comfortable with the mechanics again and go back. Killer Leatherface is still more fun than literally anything in MK11.

Id bet anything on it.
I'd bet the opposite....the more time that goes on I think the worse people will come to realize MK11 is. Unless of course NRS continues the trend of making each game less fun then the game before. I hope they have been listening this past year and learning. I certainly don't want a repeat of this bare bones/ frustrating/ not fun game.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I'm very curious to see if that's the case. I agree the "cycle" you mention is a thing, but gameplay-wise, Mortal Kombat 11 is quite the departure from the previous two. It will be interesting to see if people go back to it, and start praising it.
It's this way every game, though. MKX was quite a departure from MK9. Etc.

The thing I never got is why people can't just appreciate whatever game they like without trying to bash the other. It was the same way when IGAU launched -- there were people trying to pit MK vs. Injustice, when they're just two very different games. There's room for all of us to like whatever we like -- no need to burn one to the ground to support the other imo.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I loved MKX and I'm going back to it.

Kitana and Tanya were soooo much fun in MKX . Loved the cretivity with combos which were super fun to try out / watch - I spent so much of my time in practice mode finding out new combos and messing about.

The variations in MK 11 feel very cobbled together, where MKX felt more thoughtful and theme based.

People say that everyone complains about each MK... I do not agree. I think different people complain each time - each game has its own feel which resonates with certain people. MK11 unforutnately does not resonate with me the the way MKX and MK9 did.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I highly doubt it.

Except people did say that about IJ2 all through its lifespan which was basically toast by this point. MK11 seems way healthier in terms of active play despite lots of people voicing their personal distaste for it.

MKX on the other hand spectated really well, but people still bitched constantly about it. To the point that IJ2 and MK11 probably are what they are because of those complaints were so loud. Now it's super koolz, no tinted glasses need?

People that didn't like those games aren't playing them and likely less motivated to seethe about losing games. The people looking back now probably always like those games and the only ones still holding a conversation about them.

John Grizzly

Also as far as MK11 goes, just bc you want it to die doesn't mean it's dead. If you don't like game that's cool. But just bc the game is dead to you doesn't mean it's dead to everyone else.
I spent $100 on MK11 (and some more for Time Krystals before I knew how the shitty in-game store worked), so I absolutely do not want the game to die. I do want major changes for the game, though. Everyone has had complaints about every game prior to MK11. The difference for me and many others though, is that none of those complaints were that the games were boring. A boring game means it's been uninstalled and not missed whatsoever.

I realize the changes I'd like to see most likely won't come. It's a shame that this is the title NRS has decided to continue to support and release more bland, uninspired DLC for.

John Grizzly

Except people did say that about IJ2 all through its lifespan which was basically toast by this point. MK11 seems way healthier in terms of active play despite lots of people voicing their personal distaste for it.

MKX on the other hand spectated really well, but people still bitched constantly about it. To the point that IJ2 and MK11 probably are what they are because of those complaints were so loud. Now it's super koolz, no tinted glasses need?

People that didn't like those games aren't playing them and likely less motivated to seethe about losing games. The people looking back now probably always like those games and the only ones still holding a conversation about them.
Again, I didn't say everyone feels the same. I said myself and many others. Aside from a handful of characters across each of the previous games being fairly broken balance-wise, the games were still loads of fun.

People complain about everything. Once it's gone, they realize how much they loved it. It's like that ex everyone had that you still think of regularly that you'd do anything to get back. MK11 is the current girl you're dating that doesn't give head because it's "gross." Makes you miss all your crazy ex gf's....because at least they were fun.