What's new

Reiko General Discussion

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Two questions for y'all, I'd appreciate the help:

- Do you guys use standing 3 or 4 for anti-airing? I find it hard to combo after anti-air standing 3z so I use 4

- What do you guys use the parry for?

haketh

Noob

- Do you guys use standing 3 or 4 for anti-airing? I find it hard to combo after anti-air standing 3z so I use 4

I prefer to use 3 over 4 because it doesn't have as much scaling wrt gravity and hits harder than 4

The parry I use to disrespect on minus frames without spending meter typically and to get into peoples head

I use 3.

3 into Dash and using Dash Knee or cancelling the Dash is a good go-to for Reiko

Serious question for y'all...

Why does he have a sick ass spear in the character select only to never see it again until his fatals??
Because Reiko prefers beating people to death with his bare hands and his throwing stars (they're all his favorites). Most opponents aren't worthy of his weapons of war.

kantboy2

Pale Rider
Love the character but his toolkit is incomplete.

MKX Commando Kano is a variation of a character and still has a better toolkit than Reiko.

Either complete the kickboxer or complete the grappler in him.

NHDR

Noob
Love the character but his toolkit is incomplete.

MKX Commando Kano is a variation of a character and still has a better toolkit than Reiko.

Either complete the kickboxer or complete the grappler in him.
Mind providing specifics? I'm simply curious for my own knowledge (I'm an SF player that is only now looking to play competitive MK).

M2Dave

Zoning Master
How y'all feel about Reiko after these few weeks?
Reiko is a solid character.

Best projectile in the game. Some fantastic buttons. Serviceable command grab.

Unfortunately, the damage output is fairly low outside of Reiko/Darrius, which appears to be the best team, solely going by Rewind's performance in casual sets against other high level players.

I feel like Reiko has no perfect synergy with a kameo. Reiko/Darrius does lots of damage but lacks some of the zoning and okizeme options that teams like Reiko/Sektor and Reiko/Stryker provide. However, as already mentioned, these other teams deal very low damage. 33% with one bar is insufficient in the current meta as the top tier characters can easily dish out 45%+.

In general, he lacks some defining aspects that control the meta (i.e., very high damage output, long strings that lead to lots of chip damage and meter build, safe armor that launches, etc.). For this reason, he is unlikely to be top 10.

Nonetheless, he is fun to use and explore, and when the top tier characters get slapped in the face by the inevitable nerfs, he could benefit.

Last edited:

kantboy2

Pale Rider
Mind providing specifics? I'm simply curious for my own knowledge (I'm an SF player that is only now looking to play competitive MK).
Well, imagine you mash together Guy's specials with Adon buttons and added E. Honda's throw. He's a medium grappler with T-Rex arm punches and long distance kicks that may not lead to anything unless you spend bar or use kameo.

Counter can't be held so you have to read attacks perfectly to use. Fireball is good, but he's a grappler, so it becomes a conditioning tool.

Still, no other character plays like him and if you're a fan of medium grapplers (like me) he's your go to selection.

I hope they add a few more moves to his arsenal that lean more to his grappler side. Hope that helps.

kantboy2

Pale Rider
They already have the animation from Terminator's tackle grab; make it an overhead and he's golden.

BF 3 - dash

1 to stop
2 B2
3 Slide
4 Tackle Garab

Make Knee a separate special; DB 4

If they're not making his counter useful, remove it from his toolkit and give it to another character.

Give him Jacqui's Clench as a follow up to throw counters like Cage; counter into side slam for forward throws and counter into elbow smash for back throws.

Add an air throw and he's complete.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
How y'all feel about Reiko after these few weeks?
Reiko + Sub can outzone any zoner. If I see that people are spamming af in casual online matches (Sindel, Kitana, Liu Kang, Rain) and it's their only way to deal damage, I immediately switch to this comp and show them how "FUNNY" is to throw projectiles whole game and not even be interested in use punches and kicks.

But even apart from his zone play, he seems to be super fun on casual level. He is good with mixing low/oh, he has great normals and can provoke mind games.

And to be fair - I like his personality in this game. I like him being "in love" with Shao. And I even can accept the idea of him not using weapons at all because opponents are not worthy enough (is it even cannon? - would be great if that's confirmed through any of his dialogue lines). I even like his design, though I preferred his MK4 version more, but maybe we will get his MK4-like skin in a near future. He is my secondary after Rain and it's great to have him in roster finally.

I sometimes have the feeling that NRS didn't know exactly what kind of archetype (gameplay-wise) he is supposed to be, therefore he might seem a bit 'lacking' as he cannot be considered a true grappler or a true zoner IMO. So I can understand people's feelings, but at the same time I'm having a lot of fun playing him.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Reiko + Sub can outzone any zoner. If I see that people are spamming af in casual online matches (Sindel, Kitana, Liu Kang, Rain) and it's their only way to deal damage, I immediately switch to this comp and show them how "FUNNY" is to throw projectiles whole game and not even be interested in use punches and kicks.

But even apart from his zone play, he seems to be super fun on casual level. He is good with mixing low/oh, he has great normals and can provoke mind games.

And to be fair - I like his personality in this game. I like him being "in love" with Shao. And I even can accept the idea of him not using weapons at all because opponents are not worthy enough (is it even cannon? - would be great if that's confirmed through any of his dialogue lines). I even like his design, though I preferred his MK4 version more, but maybe we will get his MK4-like skin in a near future. He is my secondary after Rain and it's great to have him in roster finally.

I sometimes have the feeling that NRS didn't know exactly what kind of archetype (gameplay-wise) he is supposed to be, therefore he might seem a bit 'lacking' as he cannot be considered a true grappler or a true zoner IMO. So I can understand people's feelings, but at the same time I'm having a lot of fun playing him.
I take offense that you listed Sindel first LOL!

skcuf

Noob

I stopped playing Reiko and one of the biggest reasons for this was his "I love Daddy Shao." henchman mentality. I fucking hate people that blindly follow. It's a lame ass cult member mentality and totally turned me off. Coming from Kano, who ran his own crime organization and did whatever he pleased, this is a pretty gross mindset.

ando1184

Noob
Out of curiosity, how do you guys feel about the community complaining about his zoning? To me, it’s a “he needs it” kinda thing.

skcuf

Noob
Out of curiosity, how do you guys feel about the community complaining about his zoning? To me, it’s a “he needs it” kinda thing.
His combo damage is ass. He has a command grab so people are trying to label him as a 'grappler.' He's not a grappler as shown my his lack of tick throws and armor on his ex grab.

What he excels at is frustrating his opponent and slowly eating away at their health bar with small combos and single hits. You hit them with a 9% overhead here or there, an 8-10% projectile here or there and when they try to get in you either push them back with a 3,4 for 116 damage and start zoning again or you hit them with a combo or grab.

So, yeah. He needs it. He's not a 'zoner,' but his kit is meant to be annoying and frustrate opponents. The multi-hit throwing stars that can be ex to cover the whole screen is a part of that. Remove or nerf the stars and his effectiveness lowers below Nitara level. He loses a large part of his mind game.

masuhdunkillyall

Aht Aht Aht!
“He needs it” is true, unless they plan on reworking his kit. Not gonna lie, I’d be ok with much more recovery on his projectile to prevent it from being spammed, if Reiko had:

tick throws

more special cancellable strings (air 121, b34, etc) to increase Kameo pairings and combo usage

reducing the wacky gravity scaling on 343 so that it might be used outside of the corner