What's new

Reiko General Discussion

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
I'm excited for him. And I'm super excited if he's one of, if not the only so far, grappler in this game.

That said his fatal blow looks very generic. Also the move that looks to be his grapple move is kind of lack luster, but I've felt this way about a lot of NRS's grapple characters ever since they knocked if out of the park with Grundy in Injustice (among others). Reiko's grapple move just looks meh, Zangief's regular throws in SF6 look a million times better/have more weight to them. It also seems to side switch which is an annoying feature NRS keep giving to grappler's.
He has two command throws. His primary one was shown in the leaks, it's a big Brain Buster/Lifting DDT.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
The animation on those red kicks that pop up look absolutely terrible. He looks pretty boring overall. I don't understand why would they remove his teleport and flip kick. We'll have to wait to see more though.

Reiko looks generic AF. I mean, I like his gameplay, but nothing of itsays "Reiko" to me. His moveset could be Sonya's, Jax or any other character that plays at close range without weapons.

Also, what is going on with the knives on the intro and the spear on fatal blow and fatality? Looks like reused animations from Kano and Jade that din't make the cut.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Reiko looks generic AF. I mean, I like his gameplay, but nothing of itsays "Reiko" to me. His moveset could be Sonya's, Jax or any other character that plays at close range without weapons.

Also, what is going on with the knives on the intro and the spear on fatal blow and fatality? Looks like reused animations from Kano and Jade that din't make the cut.
To add to that, what was the point of giving him new weapons if not a single one of his special moves use them? None of the normals they highlighted used them either

tbh i cant even remember his moveset in mk4

CipherJ

Noob
I'm excited for him. And I'm super excited if he's one of, if not the only so far, grappler in this game.

That said his fatal blow looks very generic. Also the move that looks to be his grapple move is kind of lack luster, but I've felt this way about a lot of NRS's grapple characters ever since they knocked if out of the park with Grundy in Injustice (among others). Reiko's grapple move just looks meh, Zangief's regular throws in SF6 look a million times better/have more weight to them. It also seems to side switch which is an annoying feature NRS keep giving to grappler's.
Grapplers should have options to decide where they leave their opponent after damaging them. No forced side switch if you use command grab—unless they have one command grab for each side.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
I actually lean more towards liking Reiko after today's kast. Hear me out: as much as I'd love to have his iconic kick back, I think I can live without it. This move was memorable, but I think for a bad reasons. It was actually stupid as fuck.

His grappling moveset is kinda appealing to me, I like his slide and knee rush, plus I think I might be biaseda bit but I totally love his outfit. Even if it's not MK4 throwback, I think they did really great job with him design-wise.

I don't dig the weapons, so it's good he is not using them in a regular fight. I'd prefer him to use shurikens only - the only weapon I can accept is hammer :) The more I look at him, the less I see the re-usage of the assets.

One more thing about weapons in general - I never liked them even starting from when they became more and more common for the fighters. I always thought of MK as bare hands figthing. Even by the fucking robots. It's difficult to change my mindset here, so if I can choose if the character is fighting only using his hands + specials or weapons - I prefer the 1st option always.

He had a fireball and a teleport, which is this series' fireball/uppercut. He was a burgundy ninja who wanted to be Shao Kahn instead. Turning him into a Spartan/Gladiator Clark-function who does pankration/pro wrestling was a much more inspired direction.
While I do agree that reiko basically has no identity and I'm fine with a rework, it's super odd that he's got "weapons" that he doesn't use at all while fighting.

Either way, don't much care, because he looks gross. Those buttons are just insane, and he's a grappler so auto fun.

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
Late the the party but I’m digging him already. Really glad we’ve got a grappler I’m the game!

Very curious to see how he stacks up trying to get in when the pressures on and assist as being thrown out in the mix etc.

He’s a Day one main on my end, period.

Last edited:
Aye he looks good. He's more of a fight the player not the character type of archetype. I like it alot. And oh don't even think about jumping or running from him lolololol. It won't work. Lol