What's new

Reexamining the Leaked Character Select Screen and Speculating Secret Unlockable Characters

Pizza

Thrill Kill
I'm not sure about Rain either. It's like Cetrion already covers most of "nature/weather" characters lol

Reactions: Zev
So with Shang Tsung as DLC and Kitana having Mileena's sais and moves, basically confirms the text leak was a phony like we all thought. . . . and you know Shinnok being just a head lol.

Doesn't take away from all the other evidence posted in this thread, leading towards unlockables as that's based off actual images and the official website. so here's still hoping. Though the Mileena thing definitely hurts.

Now that mileena is officially deconfirmed and if the theory of there being unlockables is right. Who do u think they are now? My money's on Rain, Smoke, and a female.

If you think there won't be any and its just the 25, you don't have to say I/we are just going to be dissapointed lol, that been said plenty of times so far in this thread XD. This is just speculation for fun.
I really wish you were right about the unlockables, but actually i dont have much hope, last weeks comments and attitudes of certain employees of nrs have left me a sour feeling... plus all that constant troll attitude for ed boon, i think that theres is a limit, at first with rain I thought he was kidding us, actually i think that he gives a shit the opinion of his fans.

Haha dang... Well I still hope there's three unlockabe characters (truth be told I didn't even consider smoke as one but would be WAY happier with him over Mileena)

Though... I think that might be a pipe dream now. Regardless, roster looks awesome and game looks amazing.

Here's to hoping we'll still be surprised!

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
I'm not sure about Rain either. It's like Cetrion already covers most of "nature/weather" characters lol
Ya but NRS has shown, that they can make similar element/types of people play totally different. Especially since Rain wouldn't be a zoner like her.
-Liu Kang, Shang Tsung, and Scorpion all use fire
-Johnny and Jade both have a shadow Kick
-Johnny and Cassie both have a nutpunch
-Sub Zero and Frost
-ect

There will be a lot of ways to customize moves/variations in this game, that people can't be bottlenecked to one or two special moves.

Hostile_18

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42.
Well less than two weeks to go and my prediction is definitely Kronica will be playable.

Presumably there making her a boss fight, in this day and age going to all the trouble of modelling moves etc and then letting them hardly be seen? Nope, no, never lol. This isn't like MKX where the story characters just had recycled/limited moves brought over.

Quote me in just over a weeks time! ;)

Well less than two weeks to go and my prediction is definitely Kronica will be playable.

Presumably there making her a boss fight, in this day and age going to all the trouble of modelling moves etc and then letting them hardly be seen? Nope, no, never lol. This isn't like MKX where the story characters just had recycled/limited moves brought over.

Quote me in just over a weeks time! ;)
I doubt this, she already got deconfirmed as unplayable. Think of her like Corrupted Shinnok.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
I too think there are no unlockable characters. Mileena is 100% not in the game, imo. Not even as DLC - since Kitana has parts of her moveset. Doesn't bother me - I never liked her.

Just binge-watched the first season. I must say watching it made me feel embarrassed on behalf of all characters in there. Can't bring myself to watch the 2nd one, despite the assurances that it 'gets better in time'.

t3kwytch3r

Stone-Kold-Zoner
I really, really want there to be secret unlockable characters. That was easily one of the coolest features of the fighting games of my childhood. Beat the ladder with a base character, get a new character. Before DLC was ever a thing, this is what they did to add longevity to games.

Fair to say though that because of the internet today, there may be as many reasons to NOT lock characters behind a progression wall in this type of game. People will primarily want instant gratification. But for single player, it is the coolest thing. It just doesn't seem easily mingled with the prevalent tournament scene that exists today: For each character behind the progression wall, that's another competitor who has to speedrun every time they wanna compete.

In short, i hope there is, but i doubt it. If there is, i'd bet they're Frost, Triborg and Chameleon. Controversial opinion: I like the idea of 1 character slot being able to fulfill multiple previous characters playstyles.

Lisbeth

Kitana stole my sai
I still think it's weird and somewhat misleading the 29 slots on their official website, what's up with that

Last edited:

Radam

Noob
I think Mileena "might" pop up in the Story Mode somehow, even if it's a flash back sequence.

I hope there is a secret unlockable character. Reptile with invisibility on running around Shang Tsung's Island in the Krypt is a missed opportunity if it doesn't happen in some way.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
If the leaker was right about everything so far than Mileena will be in the game as a secret kharacter or in a DLC pack.
this looks .... photoshopped .... I know there was a character select screen previously before like this, but this one, looks like fan made, kinda they took the original leaked image, and manipulated to make this one ..... anyway, let's wait and see. :confused:

this looks .... photoshopped .... I know there was a character select screen previously before like this, but this one, looks like fan made, kinda they took the original leaked image, and manipulated to make this one ..... anyway, let's wait and see. :confused:
I'm 100 % sure its photoshopped but the leaker got everything right in the character select screen so i guess mileena and shinnok are in. 10 days and we will know everything for sure :D

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
I'm 100 % sure its photoshopped but the leaker got everything right in the character select screen so i guess mileena and shinnok are in. 10 days and we will know everything for sure :D
Ya that picture you posted is someone who just photohopped the original leaked photo adding the text leak info. He mostly just guessed as Shang was highly obvious he'd be in from MKX, Mileena is a popular fan favorite, and shinnok was mistyped instead of Sub Zero in that magazine.

Just binge-watched the first season. I must say watching it made me feel embarrassed on behalf of all characters in there. Can't bring myself to watch the 2nd one, despite the assurances that it 'gets better in time'.
You should definitely give season 2 a try. I don't even remember season 1 at all but the show is great. It's one of those shows where once you learn the characters personalities and quirks it becomes better. Also Michael Scott will always be cringey, thats his thing lol.

They have confirmed that there will be unlockable characters.

Shang has been confirmed to be DLC, but what does that mean for Mileena that was mentioned alongside Shang as "unlockable".

I honestly don't see Mileena being DLC, so I think she really is one of the missing slots.
I doubt mileena will be in this game. It looks like kitana has a variation with mileenas moves, similar to how she had a variant with jades moves in mkx.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
I doubt mileena will be in this game. It looks like kitana has a variation with mileenas moves, similar to how she had a variant with jades moves in mkx.
Yea, of course. We know that now lol.
That post you replied to was from March 23 ;)