What's new

Red Hood Matchup Discussion

Some brief experiences with the "mid-range" melees: Robin, Scarecrow, and Aquaman - have been pretty painful if i try to get in for a combo. Probably doesn't help I'm choking my combos either but it seems these people that have a weapon to extend their basic melee range are a lot more difficult to deal with.

Beach

La mejor playa
Some brief experiences with the "mid-range" melees: Robin, Scarecrow, and Aquaman - have been pretty painful if i try to get in for a combo. Probably doesn't help I'm choking my combos either but it seems these people that have a weapon to extend their basic melee range are a lot more difficult to deal with.
Can confirm as well, MB B3 has caught some but not a consistent way to deal with their range. I've tried to zone and force approaches and counter poke when I can. Aquaman is my biggest struggle so far, not really sure how to deal with his kit effectively at all.

Da Tac0

GT: C88 Taco
What about df3 ex before you touch em? Doesn't that leave you plus? I'm still labbing him before I start doing matches so I don't have online experience.

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
Can confirm as well, MB B3 has caught some but not a consistent way to deal with their range. I've tried to zone and force approaches and counter poke when I can. Aquaman is my biggest struggle so far, not really sure how to deal with his kit effectively at all.
Against big range/forward advancing characters, I tend to MB B3 on reaction most of the time since I tend to almost always have bar. Other options, depending on the char of course, are hard read parry in neutral (made Atrocitus and Robin players think twice before swinging away), place a close mine, or jumpback air guns. Also if you ever manage to place a midrange mine on someone, go for insta air guns immediately. Dirtiest shit ever lol.

What about df3 ex before you touch em? Doesn't that leave you plus? I'm still labbing him before I start doing matches so I don't have online experience.
Its only +5 on hit. Doesn't garuntee anything.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
Also if you ever manage to place a midrange mine on someone, go for insta air guns immediately. Dirtiest shit ever lol.
This is pretty funny to imagine. I'll have to lab this when I get home.

How low are his insta-air guns? If they get hit by the mine, is it enough to follow up with a b3 if you're within range?

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
This is pretty funny to imagine. I'll have to lab this when I get home.

How low are his insta-air guns? If they get hit by the mine, is it enough to follow up with a b3 if you're within range?
No, the guns and mine combined net in a chunky amount of damage but don't grant a full combo.

Guns are punishable asf regardles of height. Not only do you have to use this move sparingly, you have to make sure you space it well. It matters because if you just miss them, you're taking a load to the face.

I only use it to jump a straight projectile and punish according, but even thats on a hard read since the recovery is pure lol.

Da Tac0

GT: C88 Taco
Yeah but that's 5 extra frames you get. I know it's not a guarantee but it's better that nothing. You could get some chip damage at least. Don't you take +5 and minus it from the start up of your next input? I'm just saying it's better than nothing.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
I think the super girl matchup is going to be a hard 5-5 or 6-4 in her favor. She really dominates the neutral but it is early and this is day one footage with the character.

Snibbor

Yarrrr Matey
Red hood vs doctor fate.

Red hood can always punish f2xxdb2 with his df3, so fate actually has to think before he throws it out in the neutral. This also goes double for him using db2 as a wakeup, since it too can always be punished with df3.

Red hood seems to lose the zoning war, especially fullscreen. Projectile trades will not be in your favor because fates df1 projectile does the same damage untraited, but also has more hit advantage. Fates df1 also hits mid from fullscreen so red hood can't really contest it, and on top of that the only range that red hood can't throw his mines is fullscreen.

A cool thing I have noticed, is that if you end with 112 xxbf1 while midscreen, fates db2 wakeup leaves him right on top of the trap after. So if you anticipate a wakeup attack, you can actually just stand there and let if whiff in front of you, and then dash forward right as the mine explodes, and you have time to convert for a full combo. I've just been doing 32xx4332 1+3, gives 281 vs fate.

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
Red hood vs doctor fate.

Red hood can always punish f2xxdb2 with his df3, so fate actually has to think before he throws it out in the neutral. This also goes double for him using db2 as a wakeup, since it too can always be punished with df3.

Red hood seems to lose the zoning war, especially fullscreen. Projectile trades will not be in your favor because fates df1 projectile does the same damage untraited, but also has more hit advantage. Fates df1 also hits mid from fullscreen so red hood can't really contest it, and on top of that the only range that red hood can't throw his mines is fullscreen.

A cool thing I have noticed, is that if you end with 112 xxbf1 while midscreen, fates db2 wakeup leaves him right on top of the trap after. So if you anticipate a wakeup attack, you can actually just stand there and let if whiff in front of you, and then dash forward right as the mine explodes, and you have time to convert for a full combo. I've just been doing 32xx4332 1+3, gives 281 vs fate.
That is really good to know that his only wakeup is punishable with his lunge! Also have you taken a look at my latest thread about getting around Fate's zoning? His projectiles being mid doesn't matter too much to him at most ranges. He has some options.

Snibbor

Yarrrr Matey
That is really good to know that his only wakeup is punishable with his lunge! Also have you taken a look at my latest thread about getting around Fate's zoning? His projectiles being mid doesn't matter too much to him at most ranges. He has some options.
Yea I just looked at it and that's an awesome find dude, I'm definitely going to start doing that lol. It's sick that it goes under the orb too

SoV N3RO

G.O.A.T Robin
Haven't played much but just rough thoughts of M/U's I've played as RH.

Supes:
5-5 although he gives me trouble with his air laser
Aquaman:
6-4 possibly 7-3 Aquaman. He shits on RH imo. FTD catches most if not every wakeup since it doesn't hit immediately and can catch after invincibility frames.
Grodd:
5-5, be carefully for using air guns as his jump special can catch you.
Harley:
5-5 (Although I hate playing against Harley personally)
Bane:
6-4 Bane. Unless you're smart af, Bane can armor through quite literally any and every setup. If your goal is to purely zone and you manage to catch him with a mix of ground mines and gunshots or mb stars after breaking his armor, its winnable.
Robin:
5-5, however, he can out-footsie your backroll on wakeup
Fate:
L M A O 10-0 F R E E
GArrow:
If you have screen awareness 5-5.
Darkseid:
6-4 Darkseid. His omega beams tend to catch my counter zoning options, and its nearly impossible to purely rush him.
Joker:
5-5 maybe even 6-4 RH. Joker seemingly doesn't have many answers to RH other than poking with footsie if he catches RH on whiff.

Supes:
Aquaman:
6-4 possibly 7-3 Aquaman. He shits on RH imo. FTD catches most if not every wakeup since it doesn't hit immediately and can catch after invincibility frames.
Grodd:
Harley:
Bane:
6-4 Bane. Unless you're smart af, Bane can armor through quite literally any and every setup. If your goal is to purely zone and you manage to catch him with a mix of ground mines and gunshots or mb stars after breaking his armor, its winnable.
Robin:
Fate:
L M A O 10-0 F R E E
GArrow:
Darkseid:
6-4 Darkseid. His omega beams tend to catch my counter zoning options, and its nearly impossible to purely rush him.
Joker:
5-5 maybe even 6-4 RH. Joker seemingly doesn't have many answers to RH other than poking with footsie if he catches RH on whiff.
Lack of knowledge here, but who is who in these x-y comparisons?

Supes:
Aquaman:
Grodd:
Harley:
Bane:
Robin:
Fate:
L M A O 10-0 F R E E
GArrow:
Darkseid:
Joker:

Darkseid might even be a 7-3 imo, he just has so many options. I think superman's air laser can get beat pretty easily by a up shiruken on a read, and maybe on reaction, since it has a pretty long startup compared to most air projectiles. Also how is Fate a 10-0? that seems overly exaggerated to me. Admittedly i haven't played fate yet with RH. Could someone elaborate?

DarksydeDash

Hood beats flash 6-4.

Note:

If Flash wants to go for a vibration, you can punish it after throwing a gotham star using df3

Flash can't punish max range df3 and you can choose to MB it for mind games.

We out range him using b13 and b23

Flash can't punish the overhead option off trait

World's free-est anti air if he jumps

Stars hit him during running man

DarksydeDash

Supes:
Aquaman:
Grodd:
Harley:
Bane:
Robin:
Fate:
L M A O 10-0 F R E E
GArrow:
Darkseid:
Joker:
Superman can not pressure us at all using f23 breath because we can always threaten him using df3 and he can't punish the u3 ender in trait outside of super.

On reaction we can use trait 2 to punish ground lasers.

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
Superman can not pressure us at all using f23 breath because we can always threaten him using df3 and he can't punish the u3 ender in trait outside of super.

On reaction we can use trait 2 to punish ground lasers.
You mean use trait 2 as a punish on block or on reaction to when he starts up?

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
I think Aquaman probably beats Red Hood - he dominates the neutral with FTD, he can whiff punish Trait 2 anywhere on the screen, FTD catches lunge, BF2 is too slow and his buttons are ridiculous.

Played a Day 1 set earlier that I'll probably post later and did pretty well, but that was probably just due to matchup unfamiliarity.

I feel like characters who dominate the neutral will generally give Hood a harder time than characters who do not.

Last edited:

chores

bad at things
I think Aquaman probably beats Red Hood - he dominates the neutral with FTD, he can whiff punish Trait 2 anywhere on the screen, FTD catches lunge, BF2 is too slow and his buttons are ridiculous.

Played a Day 1 set earlier that I'll probably post later and did pretty well, but that was probably just due to matchup unfamiliarity.

I feel like characters who dominate the neutral will generally give Hood a harder time than characters who do not.
i agree. it seems like vs super strong neutral characters red hood has to play a hit and run style. i think he can hang out around the max range of b1 and try to whiff punish or go for a blocked b13 for plus frames, attempt a mixup, and then back out if unsuccessful. trying to stay in that range and throw stars/up stars/b1s and b2s and bait them into a mistake. it is an uphill battle though. first thing ive learned for general advice is to spend the bar or do whatever is necessary to not get cornered. this character has to eat everything anyone throws at him in the corner