What's new

Red Hood Matchup Discussion

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
I guess I can see Catwoman winning vs Hood, but it really feels like he has options to fight everyone. Even with the nerfs to meter build, forward lunge and chip, I think Hood is still in my top 5.
I would call Red Hood in the fifth position, just outside of top 10. Like he might do everything competently but all the things he does competently in the first place are centered around ONE tool, his mines. Either that or top 10, because the character has received more normalizations than Supergirl or CW combined and they can stomp him on a good day.

Neeko

Noob
I guess I can see Catwoman winning vs Hood, but it really feels like he has options to fight everyone. Even with the nerfs to meter build, forward lunge and chip, I think Hood is still in my top 5.
Catwoman supergirl black Adam superman firestorm all better than hood imo.

Crusty

Does he really have bad match ups? He seems to have everything?
CW and flash just give him trouble. Like sure they’re just as susceptible to his knockdown game as other characters but RH’s average damage and his need to make more correct reads just make those mus stressful. I’d argue supergirl is in a similar light.

Crusty

Does he really have bad match ups? He seems to have everything?
In fact, if you really want to think about it, any character with crazy high damage can potentially give him a run for his money. His average (most of the time below average) damage really hinders him from performing well in those mus.

Last edited:

boba_buster

Noob saibot
In fact, if you really want to think about it, any character with crazy high damage can potentially give him a run for his money. His average (most of the time below average) damage really hinders him from performing well in those mus.
I would say he's at a disadvantage in any mu fighting high damage characters. You have to play perfectly to keep up

Crusty

I would say he's at a disadvantage in any mu fighting high damage characters. You have to play perfectly to keep up
Yeah, that’s what I meant to say. Red Hood lives and dies by his setups and if you can’t land them aka guess right every single time, he’s toast.

Guess three times correctly for RH = guessing correctly once for the opponent in these mus. Because his poor damage really bites him here.

Can someone give me advice for the Flash matchup?

It feels like I simultaneously can't keep him out since his running man thing goes under the projectiles and past the mines and can't compete with him up close.

When I beat Flash players it seems like I had to make 40 hard reads using projectiles, b13 and lunges to hit him out of RMS at exactly the right time after he starts it up, whereas if he makes 1-3 correct reads he wins.

It doesn't even feel worth it to pressure him on knockdown or in the corner because if he guesses right i take 400-650 damage into a reset/corner carry.

Then if i get cornered i seem to usually just die from all of the pressure, rarely i can d1 trait out or make a yolo parry read.

On Sonicfox's stream I heard him say this is a horrible matchup for Red Hood where you should only zone and use meter to get out but I know he exaggerates, hence coming here for a second opinion.

I don't play ranked yet (only competitive player match) but I've heard there are lots of Flash players in ranked which puts me off it, most of my matches against Flash are me trying to stay away and zone him out, failing to do so because he RMS's past and under everything, and getting wrecked.

If I try to use an advancing string like b23 against him his b22f3 seems to beat everything too, and i feel I can't reliably poke out of him constantly doing d12 in my face either.

Advice would be appreciated please, most people keep saying that Red Hood is this top 5 ridiculous character who loses to no-one so I must surely be doing something wrong for it to seem so hopeless trying to fight The Flash.

Crusty

JFC,this is alot. Let me dissect this one-by-one.

It feels like I simultaneously can't keep him out since his running man thing goes under the projectiles and past the mines and can't compete with him up close.

When I beat Flash players it seems like I had to make 40 hard reads using projectiles, b13 and lunges to hit him out of RMS at exactly the right time after he starts it up, whereas if he makes 1-3 correct reads he wins.

It doesn't even feel worth it to pressure him on knockdown or in the corner because if he guesses right i take 400-650 damage into a reset/corner carry.
In this mu, close mine is the only positive, coupled with decent zoning. You're not keeping flash out forever and this mu in general is an uphill battle. Staying out of his face is the optimal way to play this mu. RMS becomes a guess once he activates it and its best to be random but calculated in this mu. You play this mu the same way you play against crow, slowly chip his health to death and (while suicidal in nature) show him you're willing to stay in his face before getting out.

Flash can punish the overhead trait ender, so your best bet is to mb the trait and remain safe.I know throwing mine after blockstrings is a thing, but Flash avoids the mine very easily if he knows you're going to go for it. Using that is ill-advised and suggested to use as little as possible.

Then if i get cornered i seem to usually just die from all of the pressure, rarely i can d1 trait out or make a yolo parry read.

On Sonicfox's stream I heard him say this is a horrible matchup for Red Hood where you should only zone and use meter to get out but I know he exaggerates, hence coming here for a second opinion.

I don't play ranked yet (only competitive player match) but I've heard there are lots of Flash players in ranked which puts me off it, most of my matches against Flash are me trying to stay away and zone him out, failing to do so because he RMS's past and under everything, and getting wrecked.
Yeah, RH's parry being garbage is part of the reason why he can't last as long against flash's knockdown game.

Red Hood in general has problems against anybody who severally outdamages him because the uphill battle becomes progressively harder to climb for him.

You can still zone flash, but you gotta to create space and throw a low mine in front of you often before zoning. Sonic's opinions are usually 10-0 something but RH suffers alot in this mu. It's not unwinnable, just very stressful.

If I try to use an advancing string like b23 against him his b22f3 seems to beat everything too, and i feel I can't reliably poke out of him constantly doing d12 in my face either.
Again, you throw out a mine in front of you and see what he does. If he RMS in, punish him and push him away. If he doesn't throw another mine or stars and build some to eventually pushblock him out.

If you happen to punish his RMS, just mb far lunge and pressure him a little before retreating back. This mu requires alot of position changing and meter management on your part.

Advice would be appreciated please, most people keep saying that Red Hood is this top 5 ridiculous character who loses to no-one so I must surely be doing something wrong for it to seem so hopeless trying to fight The Flash.
[/QUOTE]

Most people don't know what they're talking about. Red Hood isn't top 5, or even top 10 I'd argue in this version of the game. He's high mid tier at best. I'd argue even prepatch he wasn't because people were so busy watching sonic and couldn't formulate their own opinions.

Crusty

If there are any fellow edgelords left.

So I've been facing quite the number of enchantress's this past week.

This is one of those mus where its very hard to slap a label on. Once Enchantress curses you, the next few sequences are decided from there.

In my experience playing quite the few sets, I've come to notice a particular nuance in that mu. Her d3 is lowkey so dumb in the counterpoking game. It has silly pushback and in my experience the only thing I can do is my 14 frame b2 and a lunge. The latter can be armored even if a mb it so it seems at the distance her d3 grants her on block.

Xibalba is interesting because it seems that jumping over him seems to not be an option because the explosion which is the second hit of his overhead goes behind him too. Playing midscreen against good enchantress's is quite the pain especially in the instance where you don't have your special moves for a good amount of time.

Once her shield is out, my best bet is to throw mines and force her to move then I can reestablish my zoning. It can be best described with "slow and steady but playing with a sense of urgency" when Xibalba enters the fray in that situation.

Again, I gotta lab more and get back to this. But mines are a saving grace in this mu for RH and patient play is how pretty much everyone should be approaching this mu. More to come.

Edit:
Enchantress is a lame duck in this mu when RH knocks her down. Unsurprisingly.

Neeko

Noob
If there are any fellow edgelords left.

So I've been facing quite the number of enchantress's this past week.

This is one of those mus where its very hard to slap a label on. Once Enchantress curses you, the next few sequences are decided from there.

In my experience playing quite the few sets, I've come to notice a particular nuance in that mu. Her d3 is lowkey so dumb in the counterpoking game. It has silly pushback and in my experience the only thing I can do is my 14 frame b2 and a lunge. The latter can be armored even if a mb it so it seems at the distance her d3 grants her on block.

Xibalba is interesting because it seems that jumping over him seems to not be an option because the explosion which is the second hit of his overhead goes behind him too. Playing midscreen against good enchantress's is quite the pain especially in the instance where you don't have your special moves for a good amount of time.

Once her shield is out, my best bet is to throw mines and force her to move then I can reestablish my zoning. It can be best described with "slow and steady but playing with a sense of urgency" when Xibalba enters the fray in that situation.

Again, I gotta lab more and get back to this. But mines are a saving grace in this mu for RH and patient play is how pretty much everyone should be approaching this mu. More to come.

Edit:
Enchantress is a lame duck in this mu when RH knocks her down. Unsurprisingly.
Yeah I lucky haven't played an enchantress who does sweep a lot. sweeps can be an issue for red hood. Just played a long set with a cheetah player and it's the same issue

D

Deleted member 28105

How does RH do against Fate and WW? I play a rushdown GA and want a fun substitute that doesn't get absolutely crucified in those two matchups.

SaucyD0ge

Worst european batman
How does RH do against Fate and WW? I play a rushdown GA and want a fun substitute that doesn't get absolutely crucified in those two matchups.
Pre patch Hood beated Fate slightly, WoWo was even.I wouldn’t even pick him for these match ups anymore.

Crusty

Both Fate and WW are even mus. Thing is you have to be very patient when using RH.

How's the Bane mu? I'll admit my nuetral and execution still need loads of improvement but I just had a set with an ok Bane player and was clueless, lol. Couldn't zone, couldn't punish, (except charge) just got fucked. Do I need to just " git gud" or is this a tough one for Hood?

Crusty

How's the Bane mu? I'll admit my nuetral and execution still need loads of improvement but I just had a set with an ok Bane player and was clueless, lol. Couldn't zone, couldn't punish, (except charge) just got fucked. Do I need to just " git gud" or is this a tough one for Hood?
This mu is actually RH's favor. It's just hard to see it at first.

General RH notes
-> All your high projectiles jail after a blocked mine explosion. RH does alot of chip so abuse this on bane especially on debuff.
-> Bane cannot punish the overhead trait ender. However, watch out for the option select armor and watch Bane's venom.
-> Alternate your projectiles based on the opponents behavior, if my opponent is playing more respectfully throw a mine then air guns for a decent amount of damage and/or chip. Build meter with stars and mine (gunshot works too just be wary its more punishable and doesn't build meter unless it collides with the opponent), if the opponent decdies to be jjumpy anti-air with up stars.
-> Master your anti-airs. I'm serious, they're good however, you have to be very on point in some mus with them because 1) some jump ins and arcs are stupid 2) they have very little active frames.

Things of note on this mu:
-> Against a good bane, bait out his option select armor. Stagger if you have to.
-> End your combos in something that pushes him far away
-> Be sure to get your zoning on point and punish any movement with b13 or lunge (you don't always have to mb it). I punish mb rolls with d1xlunge and if a mine happens to be nearby, the damage his adds up.
-> Delay, I cannot stress this enough. Alternate your knockdown timings to mess with him as he has limited options to catch you delaying.
-> Both forward and backward lunge are grab immune.
-> punish every bane charge with lunge if you don't have meter. Alternately if you really want to make him pay for it, just jump over him and whiff punish with b2 if he somehow gets cornered. Wake up sparingly as doing so will make him have to think even harder
-> If he corners you, just be calm and learn some of his tick grabs and punish them accordingly. Just guess right and he's going to be in trouble

I play @Wetdoba several times and we go back and forward at our local. Some days I somehow streamroll him, other days he plays out of his mind and reverse 2-3s me. But we both admit this mu is in RH's favor.