What's new

Red Hood Matchup Discussion

Redk9

Noob
I just don't think this is true. He has pretty good frames, and one of the best traits in the game. He has so many tools it's really easy to forget about them. I think your frustration shouldn't be directed at the character, since he's really good. I had the same problems when i started out w him but it turned out that i just needed to level up. give RH another chance and become a true edgelord.
I use him for fun and I honestly feel like I use him extremely well. But I'd put money on the fact that he's not tournament viable. There's just too many holes and too many counter strategies. I'm open to playing against some red hood players to show them where he struggles

YUZU_RZA

Aftershock | Crystalline | Metallic
I agree. We can actually whiff punish B3 and we pressure her pretty nicely. Our buttons compete solidly with hers. It feels like a pretty good MU to play.
yep, there's no way red hood lose this mu ! I'll stay with my opinion, this mu is a 5-5 !

Red hood can compete with catwoamn everywhere.

The only advantage I see for CW is her damage.

Tweedy

Noob
Red Hood is pretty easy for Superman imo. Red hood doesn't have little enough recovery on his projectiles to avoid trades. If you can't avoid trades with Superman, he probably outzones you. His damage and mid range footsies are also way better than Red Hood's imo.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Red Hood is pretty easy for Superman imo. Red hood doesn't have little enough recovery on his projectiles to avoid trades. If you can't avoid trades with Superman, he probably outzones you. His damage and mid range footsies are also way better than Red Hood's imo.
I heard you're the Red Hood killer, mind if we get some games in at some point?
I use him for fun and I honestly feel like I use him extremely well. But I'd put money on the fact that he's not tournament viable. There's just too many holes and too many counter strategies. I'm open to playing against some red hood players to show them where he struggles
You on PS4?

Basically I'm behind a couple weeks and need games to catch up

Tweedy

Noob

You on PS4?

When I get a new pad(probably Sunday or Monday), we can play anytime if you admit that Grodd has the hardest cancels in NRS history.

Redk9

Noob

You on PS4?

Yeah my PSN is i_Adapt_ I can play 6 or 7 characters pretty well too so you can get some match up experience

HeroesNZ

Hood vs Arrow:

I reckon this matchup could be 5-5. I was doing better later in the set when I stopped trying to counter-zone and was just using mines to get in.

I need to lab the matchup such as fuzzying F2D1 mixups and interrupting MB Bow.

Last edited:
Yea i too would like to get games with my hood gameplay so if anyone is down for leveling up our character, hmu

EMPR_MURK

When I get a new pad(probably Sunday or Monday), we can play anytime if you admit that Grodd has the hardest cancels in NRS history.
Yea we should play also. I don't think superman beats hood in the neutral at all. We probably all play hood differently so it would be interesting to see the different mind games

Bender

Product Manager. xBone tag: I3end3r.
My 2 cents: I think once people realize that they can poke out of his trait cancels, this might change, but right now I feel red hood has very few bad matchups. Nothing has felt like a 4-6 to me, but it's still early.

I played a good cyborg and that was the only matchup I felt was difficult to get much going. Superman is the other tricky one, but I'm starting to learn how to play it.

I also feel aquaman could be challenging but haven't played a great one yet.

I'm really loving this character as I feel he has good tools everywhere on the screen. Most matchups he can find a distance where he has the upper hand and play to that strength. Also his corner game is ridiculous

HeroesNZ

The Superman MU feels hard as hell. His air mobility and control means he gives zero fucks about Hood's mines and he dominates the neutral because of it. He also wins the zoning war free

HeroesNZ

air ninja stars?
Yeah if you read correctly you get like 8% but if he reads correctly and lasers it's almost 20% of your life and back to fullscreen if Superman has meter. Even worse if he forward dashes and F2s

And Up Stars has a lot of recovery so you can't really be throwing them out a lot like J2man. And even if it hits it only pushes Supes away

Last edited:
Any tips for the batman mu? Have been putting in a fair bit of work into hood, and have also just had some sets with some really good batman players. I've found it to be a struggle. Most of the time it feels almost 5-5, but I find myself having to eat up his trait pressure strings and plus frames from ex batarangs. Spending more time blocking than anything else.

I feel like mines and zoning handle him decently, but he has enough tools to get back in.
Without batman's trait on neutral feels somewhat even, so it's probably just a personal issue with batman than anything so any help would be great

Bender

Yeah if you read correctly you get like 8% but if he reads correctly and lasers it's almost 20% of your life and back to fullscreen if Superman has meter. Even worse if he forward dashes and F2s

And Up Stars has a lot of recovery so you can't really be throwing them out a lot like J2man. And even if it hits it only pushes Supes away
I try to force a mine out and then immediately go with upstars. He has to eat the chip most of the time or gets hit by the star and it helps take back the 3/4 to half screen zoning battle. Once he respects the low mine you have some more options

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Anyone who's into making videos, I'll be happy to take part in any exhibitions.
I think my Hood is getting pretty decent, but he needs to be challenged and pressured in order to adapt and evolve.
My PSN = DoctorAngel333.

Also: this character is ABSOLUTELY tournament viable.
Between Trait Shot, Rolls, B23 & B3's delicious range, etc...no, there will be no downplaying here.
Jason Todd has got the juice. He's IG1 Deathstroke without Pistols, if the Sword Spin was meter burnable and directable.
That might be completely inaccurate, but it's not.

Red Hood.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Sonic fox beat Theos supes and aquaman decisively.

He also beat Dragons Aqua and BA decisively.

Maybe you guys are playing him wrong.
I mean that could be it. Or Sonic is just Sonic? Cuz he beat Dab's Aquaman with Darkseid and that MU is complete ass.

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
Sonic fox beat Theos supes and aquaman decisively.

He also beat Dragons Aqua and BA decisively.

Maybe you guys are playing him wrong.
Maybe...

I mean PL made top 8 in WotG with Brainiac. You could attribute both cases to lack of mu knowledge.

In the hands of any good player a character can seem good at the surface. But you may have a point.

Bender

I'm second guessing the batman matchup. Played a good set and RH can get zoned out and still has to deal with BM pressure when he gets in. Doesn't feel horrible, but I think BM gets a slight edge

methademic

UPR Methademic
Okay. Imma break this down here and discuss what i think of these specific MUs

Supes
Disadvantage/Heavy Disadvantage(I hate giving specific numbers this early) Superman out zones, out neutrals, out damages and basically just out everythings Red Hood. It's a fairly difficult MU when the Superman plays it correctly.

Aquaman
Disadvantage/Heavy Disadvantage: This character is honestly just stupidly ridiculous so basically, any reason he wins other MUs? Yea, he wins this one for those reasons too. Wins trades, better buttons, can't jump anywhere near him, chip damage, out damages us in the combo department. Oh and his trait. yea, his trait.

Grodd
No. Fucking. Clue. I haven't even played this MU that much let alone lab it.

Harley
Probably Even. Can compete with her fullscreen presence and honestly we beat most of her buttons. Midscreen our wakeups actually kind of fuck with her game plan so it could even be in our advantage.

Bane
Probably advantageous. When he gets the knockdown he face fucks you but who doesn't Bane do that to? Keep him out, space him out, beat his ass. End of discussion.

Robin
Even. Up close he's got buttons to compete and fullscreen he can get in pretty easy if they're playing smart. Both sides get slobberknocked when they knockdown so in that department it's pretty easy. It could be slightly in Robin's favor but idk quite yet.

Fate
Even. We have answers to his shit, he has answers to our shit. Play a really good Fate who knows the MU and you'll know why it's even. (Fate could even win but again, jury is out on that one)

Green Arrow
Disadvantage. He doesn't care about your zoning options. At all. Up close he can compete but yea, he forces you to make your way in much like the Batman vs GA MU.

Darkseid
Even. His zoning isn't too terribly great and we have options against it. Darkseid has some of the worst defensive options in the game outside of D1 and his wakeup which Red Hood abuses. However, Red Hood is free on knockdown which makes it a bit...awkward, for us. They give each other an equal amount of hard time just place patient.

Joker
No clue. See my reasoning behind Grodd.
How do you feel about the Supergirl MU, and do you have any pointers or helpful tips. I've only played one decent Supergirl and while I never felt completely out of the fight it also never felt like I was at an advantage (That could just be a player skill thing though)