What's new

Red Hood General Discussion

I'm finding f23 to be extremely unreliable in the neutral. 9 frames, but hits high and everyone (and I mean everyone) pokes it, even button mashers are blowing me up for using this string as a combo starter.

What's the best string to utilise? I'm hitting the f23 on whiff punish but I can't seem to figure out the best opener to use in neutral

methademic

UPR Methademic
I'm finding f23 to be extremely unreliable in the neutral. 9 frames, but hits high and everyone (and I mean everyone) pokes it, even button mashers are blowing me up for using this string as a combo starter.

What's the best string to utilise? I'm hitting the f23 on whiff punish but I can't seem to figure out the best opener to use in neutral
Yeah strings that start high are miserable in the mash d1/d2 meta. B13, b23, and 32 are pretty good strings. Tbh I struggle with his neutral as well but I'm a potato Atrocitus player.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy

Hood's Neutral:
- B13 - Ridiculous range (more range on block than on hit), can bait a reaction with B1
- MB Lunge
- Mine > B13
- Mine > Lunge
- Mine > Dash (basically, use mines to control the neutral)
- B2 Trait - good luck whiff-punishing B2, can be used as a bait and can start pressure on block
- MB B3 - relatively fast armoured launcher
- BF2/Trait Shot/Air Shots

Say you're near full screen, throw far mine under the opponent > Lunge leaves you around +1

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Hood's Neutral:
- B13 - Ridiculous range (more range on block than on hit), can bait a reaction with B1
- MB Lunge
- Mine > B13
- Mine > Lunge
- Mine > Dash (basically, use mines to control the neutral)
- B2 Trait - good luck whiff-punishing B2, can be used as a bait and can start pressure on block
- MB B3 - relatively fast armoured launcher
- BF2/Trait Shot/Air Shots

Say you're near full screen, throw far mine under the opponent > Lunge leaves you around +1
The farther the B13 hits on block, the more plus it is. So plus in fact you can jail a df3

Misky

Clinch should be a command grab
Really starting to get a feel for the guy. Made top 100 on the leaderboards and won a small local tourny with him. I thought he was pretty meh at first but now I'm digging him. Once the obvious characters are brought down a peg I feel he's definitely a contender for top 10.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Really starting to get a feel for the guy. Made top 100 on the leaderboards and won a small local tourny with him. I thought he was pretty meh at first but now I'm digging him. Once the obvious characters are brought down a peg I feel he's definitely a contender for top 10.
He's got ranged normals.
He's got 3 types of projectiles. 4 with trait.
Air guns.
And a I dive
With guaranteed environment resets.
He's complete lol. Wait a little longer. He's still new

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
He's got ranged normals.
He's got 3 types of projectiles. 4 with trait.
Air guns.
And a I dive
With guaranteed environment resets.
He's complete lol. Wait a little longer. He's still new
not guaranteed. It's a guess

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
i don't know why, but thinking about red hood's options, it feels like his up close game isnt real, you can pretty much poke all cancels into trait except for 11 right? isnt the gap in 323 interruptible as well? so u can just mash poke? or am i wrong on this.

am i overthinking things?

Crusty

i don't know why, but thinking about red hood's options, it feels like his up close game isnt real, you can pretty much poke all cancels into trait except for 11 right? isnt the gap in 323 interruptible as well? so u can just mash poke? or am i wrong on this.

am i overthinking things?
Every trait cancel has a gap aside from 1,1. However, some gaps can be poked out of and some can be backdashed. People can backdash all of them but some catch the opponents backdash. That being said, not all of them can be poked out of.

Crusty

so he's a zoning character. what if your up close
He's not a zoning character. He's a setup/pressure character with elements of zoning. You're zone to build bar and force respect forcing the opponent to play on your terms rather than keep someone out.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Every trait cancel has a gap aside from 1,1. However, some gaps can be poked out of and some can be backdashed. People can backdash all of them but some catch the opponents backdash. That being said, not all of them can be poked out of.
can the gap in 323 be poked out of? im just trying to figure out whats the real mind game with this character, so im not doing fake stuff. like 22~trait, isnt that fake? 2 is technically staggerable but does it really work as a stagger?

I'm pretty sure doing a block string into mb mine is fake too isnt it? seems like a gimmick to me.

whats all real with this character? or do i have to start tacking on mb df3 at the end of certain strings to condition people?

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
can the gap in 323 be poked out of? im just trying to figure out whats the real mind game with this character, so im not doing fake stuff. like 22~trait, isnt that fake? 2 is technically staggerable but does it really work as a stagger?

I'm pretty sure doing a block string into mb mine is fake too isnt it? seems like a gimmick to me.

whats all real with this character? or do i have to start tacking on mb df3 at the end of certain strings to condition people?
323 can't be poked out of. 2 works as a stagger 100% 22 xx Trait can be poked out of but 223 cannot be (that's the mind game there) String into MB mine is pretty fake but funnily enough String into Normal Mine is real as fuck since it stays on hit.

Crusty

323 can't be poked out of, 32 x trait can be poked out of. Both however can be backdashed.

Same principal with 2,2 and yes it is a stagger.

Any block string into mine isn't guaranteed. But you really don't know if he's going to go for it. And even if the opponent does react to it, odds are they'll keep blocking because nobody wants to deal with a mine below them.

TLDR; nothing is real, its all a guess.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
323 can't be poked out of, 32 x trait can be poked out of. Both however can be backdashed.

Same principal with 2,2 and yes it is a stagger.

Any block string into mine isn't guaranteed. But you really don't know if he's going to go for it. And even if the opponent does react to it, odds are they'll keep blocking because nobody wants to deal with a mine below them.

TLDR; nothing is real, its all a guess.
that kinda sux then :/, aside from doing things like s2 into trait b2 into trait, things like that, u could just backdash most of it couldnt you? also what about mb b3?

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
yeah imma start tacking on mb df3 at the end of stuff too, just to keep people guessing.

btw, f21~mb db3 jails, and u get a good chunk of chip on it, so ill have to remember that.