Realistic predictions of MK12's roster

Hara-Killer

Reverse Salt
1-scorpion or ancient shirai ryu
2-sub zero or ancient kryomancer
3-johnny cage grangranfather
4-sonnya grangran mother
5-jax grangran father
6-white lotus champion (great kung or another champion)
7-chameleon
8-reptile
9-ermac
10-noob saibot
11-Tremor
12-smoke
13-tanya
14-ashrah
15-kitana
16-milena
17-nitara
18-reiko
19-havik
20-hotaru
21-fujin
22-new quan/shang evil sorc (Shang and Quan chi skins)
23-new kytinn (male this time)
24-new ninja (can use air and water moves Rain Skin)
25-new cyber ninja (cyrax , sektor , cyber sub , cyber smoke and cyber reptile skins)
26-new kano bad guy maybe kano pirate gran gran father
27-new nightwolf shaman (maybe female)
28-new swordmaster using kenshi sword and powers ( kenshi and takeda skin)
29-kintaro or motaro
30-onaga (pre order)

DLC

terror pack

1-Jason
2-freddy
3-hellraiser (or michael myers)
4-leather face

dream guest - maniac cop

Action Pack

1-terminator
2-robocop
3-rambo
4-snake plisken

dream guest chuck norris or steven seagal (Rambo did mk11 lets pray for chuck or steven)

Syfy pack

1-alien
2-predator
3-the thing
4-Guyver

Game pack

1-DoomGuy
2-Kain (legacy of kain)
3-Nemesis
4-Jago or Fulgore

Comics Pack

1-The Crow
2-Homelander
3-Red Sonja
4-Spawn if possible or rorschach

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Realistic: They're going to have the core of Cage, Scorpion, Sub Zero, Jax, Sonya, Raiden, and then a mix. I think the only question is whether they want to use the time travel stuff as a bit of reset, and go back to some of the earlier MK era plot, before the Kombat Kids, or whether they have a story that aims to take place still in the future, which includes the Kids.

Unrealistic: I'm kind of hoping they build off of Liu Kang's Aftermath ending, and do an MK game set in the time of The Great Kung Lao's first tournament. So a roster built off of that era characters.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
4-Jago or Fulgore
If MK ever wanted to branch more into the Tag style games, an MK vs KI game could be a lot of fun. Only question to me is how to find a way to reconcile the different gameplay elements of both games while keeping things interesting and maintaining KI characters feeling like KI and MK characters feeling like MK.

Unrealistic: I'm kind of hoping they build off of Liu Kang's Aftermath ending, and do an MK game set in the time of The Great Kung Lao's first tournament. So a roster built off of that era characters.
Honestly, I think I'm the only one who wants to see the next game follow after Shang Tsung's "Aftermath" ending. Basing it off of Liu's would certainly be neat given the time period, but it's the kind of story we've already seen: a general retelling of events we already know, though undoubtedly things will turn out differently.

With Shang's ending, things would really take a twist in very interesting ways.

Only question to me is how to find a way to reconcile the different gameplay elements of both games while keeping things interesting and maintaining KI characters feeling like KI and MK characters feeling like MK.
Given that the two games play very, very differently from one another, and given that Mortal Kombat is the larger, more successful franchise, I'd expect any Killer Instinct characters would be re-conformed to work with that particular Mortal Kombat game's mechanics, and may have some Killer Instinct style (i.e. doing a Kombo Breaker or Breakaway would scream C-C-C-COMBO Breaker) baked into the character's specific move set.

Hara-Killer

Reverse Salt
Given that the two games play very, very differently from one another, and given that Mortal Kombat is the larger, more successful franchise, I'd expect any Killer Instinct characters would be re-conformed to work with that particular Mortal Kombat game's mechanics, and may have some Killer Instinct style (i.e. doing a Kombo Breaker or Breakaway would scream C-C-C-COMBO Breaker) baked into the character's specific move set.
[/QUOTE]

yeah and shao kahn , raiden , johnny cage yelling cccc combo breaker would be so epic K.I is to dam awesome

yeah and shao kahn , raiden , johnny cage yelling cccc combo breaker would be so epic K.I is to dam awesome
[/QUOTE]

I meant the Killer Instinct characters would say that, not the Mortal Kombat ones.

Searsy82

Noob
Im going to be an outlier here, but based off the end of Aftermath, I would like to see it have as few of the regulars as possible, be based in the past, reintroduce the concept of the tournament, and have mostly new characters. I know it won't happen, so I will be happy playing as the same characters for the 12th time.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Lemme tell you how MK12 will start:

OP Shang Tsung sends Raiden and Fujin to conquer some Realm.

Raiden and Fujin arrive but they're welcomed by Kronikus, Kronika's brother (who is also a titan!!); Kronikus says "this is terrible, we must restore the timeline"

He removes the evil from Raiden and Fujin, opens a portal and all the heros show up, everyone is alive.

Shang Tsung opens a portal and summons an army of demons. Kronikus opens another portal and summons the USA army with futuristic weapons from another timeline.

Both armies clash and Shang Tsung loses his power.

Now MK12 begins.

Last edited:

Hara-Killer

Reverse Salt
hope they go full risk and dont get afraid of doing insane new stuff...dont worry about woke or anti woke just go crazy ...and pls bring some guests ,robocop and Rambo deserves a better moveset

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
so, let's assume that Liu God's ending is canon and we will have another BACK TO THE FUTURE thing, storywise, we need to focus on the characters that are technically possible to be included (gods, ancient personas, etc.).

Having that in mind, there are plenty of choices that are possible but NOT likely due to various reasons: Bo'RaiCho, Shinnok, Cetrion, Drahmin, Moloch, Kintaro, Motaro, Onaga, Daegon, Taven, Dairou, Darrius

Then if we go forward we can maybe count on:

Liu Kang - he can be the Raiden of this game
Scorpion - not sure how, but they will definitely figure out how to include the poster boy into the picture
Raiden - lesser-god, sidekick to Liu
Fujin - just because it fits and he is a god
Quan Chi - because it's good to have a warlock and he missed one game, so it's a pretty obvious choice
Sareena i Ashrah - cause Netherrealm demons can fit nicely and provide some depth to this realm from the story perspective
Goro - because he will be the main bad guy to be defeated by GKL (I will get to that later)
Shang Tsung - because he is the boss of Goro
Shao Kahn - younger version of Kahn, not that experienced maybe, maybe not even a "Kahn" yet
Sheeva - I'd prefer to have Kintaro but she was quite nice additoin to MK11 and she can play major role in the story too
Reiko - long awaited, now it's a perfect timing for a revamp and redemption
Li Mei - just because she can, I actually don't have anything at her defence xD
Nitara - can be replaced by some male-vampire though, however I think that she still have the potential
D'Vorah - fanbase is huge I guess, however I'm not sure if she will be included in 3rd game in a row
Erron Black - they can actually show his struggle in the Outworld, how he ended up there and what is he exactly doing there
Kotal - needs redemption after shitty MK11 plotline
Geras - wishful thinking, however he is an eternal golem, so maybe he already existed in this timing
Jade, Kitana, Rain, Tanya, Sindel - whole Edenia squad just to emphasise the importance of this realm; maybe even additional character can be introduced
Havik i Hotaru - as Chaosrealm & Orderrealm posterboys

Apart from that, I feel that we might have some favourites replaced by similiar archtypes of themselves:

Female Nightwolf - there were some hints about that already and we know that spirit of NIghtwolf is a mantle that is being passed on
Great Kung Lao - main good guy, finally not a side kick for anyone
Different Sub-Zero - maybe even Grandmaster? Maybe some other Cryomancer?
Enenra - as a replacement for Smoke
White Lotus Kai-syle monk - to be a sidekick for GKL
different Reptile - possibly female
different Tarkatan - could be female too, as a replacement for Baraka
Mileena - or something in a style of Mileena, not sure how to include her in the main storyline, however there is literally NO WAY for her to sit for a 2nd game in a row
Kollector - or other specialization from his kind
Johnnego Cage's ancestor - with super-duper green power

So that would be my prediction, but I'm certain that they will definitely find a way to include whole OG7 in some way + Cassie, Jax & other kombat kids. Anyway - hope they will not and hope there will be NO guest characters at all.

Hara-Killer

Reverse Salt
so, let's assume that Liu God's ending is canon and we will have another BACK TO THE FUTURE thing, storywise, we need to focus on the characters that are technically possible to be included (gods, ancient personas, etc.).

Having that in mind, there are plenty of choices that are possible but NOT likely due to various reasons: Bo'RaiCho, Shinnok, Cetrion, Drahmin, Moloch, Kintaro, Motaro, Onaga, Daegon, Taven, Dairou, Darrius

Scorpion - not sure how, but they will definitely figure out how to include the poster boy into the picture
Quan Chi - because it's good to have a warlock and he missed one game, so it's a pretty obvious choice
Sareena i Ashrah - cause Netherrealm demons can fit nicely and provide some depth to this realm from the story perspective
Goro - because he will be the main bad guy to be defeated by GKL (I will get to that later)
Shao Kahn - younger version of Kahn, not that experienced maybe, maybe not even a "Kahn" yet
Sheeva - I'd prefer to have Kintaro but she was quite nice additoin to MK11 and she can play major role in the story too
Nitara - can be replaced by some male-vampire though, however I think that she still have the potential
D'Vorah - fanbase is huge I guess, however I'm not sure if she will be included in 3rd game in a row
Erron Black - they can actually show his struggle in the Outworld, how he ended up there and what is he exactly doing there
Geras - wishful thinking, however he is an eternal golem, so maybe he already existed in this timing
Jade, Kitana, Rain, Tanya, Sindel - whole Edenia squad just to emphasise the importance of this realm; maybe even additional character can be introduced

Apart from that, I feel that we might have some favourites replaced by similiar archtypes of themselves:

Female Nightwolf - there were some hints about that already and we know that spirit of NIghtwolf is a mantle that is being passed on
Mileena - or something in a style of Mileena, not sure how to include her in the main storyline, however there is literally NO WAY for her to sit for a 2nd game in a row

So that would be my prediction, but I'm certain that they will definitely find a way to include whole OG7 in some way + Cassie, Jax & other kombat kids. Anyway - hope they will not and hope there will be NO guest characters at all.
too many female , why ?
probably gonna be some new faces
GUESTS ill never stop , Horror and action pack gonna rock

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.

good call in this analysis

I think, in order to try to get some kind of justification either explanation for including some characters, NRS maybe will work with time travel again mixing with MK multiverse concept , sort of the history take part on past, but some present characters will travel to the past time for some reason , and this, they will make the roster having current characters, and mixed with other ones that are young version , or ancestors from original characters, we don't know

anyway, of course a lot of fan favorite will simply not be absence from this next game, because that can hurt a lot the marketing strategy , and the sales numbers, so, let's see if the imagination quality level from NRS, this time , can surprise us , let's see ....

It's funny, for Street Fighter I love they keep bringing the same characters back, and that's maybe due to their variety, that Capcom actually always finds a way to bring back their best creations or because you know they will play very different and roster is filled with so many fillers and awful characters, that the most reliable are the classics.

In any case, for MK there's of course the more story driven plot and lore that intrigues me, my emotional investment in certain characters and that there's too big of a chance of variety to be lacking with little post-release content. I'm actually fine with rosters around 30-35 and 40-50 is just overkill. So I don't mind characters missing an MK game, just a few (type of characters) I want to see every game:

• at least 1 obscure ninja: Noob, Smoke or Tremor
  • an obscure female character: Sareena, Ashrah, Khameleon or Li Mei
  • a sorcerer: Shang Tsung or Quan Chi
  • a shokan / centaur sub-boss: Goro, Kintaro or Motaro
  • at least 2 (hideous) creatures: Baraka, Kollector, Moloch, Nitara, Onaga, Sheeva, Havik
  • at least 1 spiritual / godlike / white lotus character outside of the MK1 roster: Fujin, Nightwolf, Bo Rai Cho, Kai
Besides this I think it should be a given and fine that we get Raiden, Liu Kang, Kano, Kung Lao, Reptile, Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Kitana & Mileena in every game. With Jacqui & Cassie, the 3 parents should be rotated. Reptile & Mileena missing a game is just silly. I'd add Baraka to that myself, even Shang Tsung, but given they cannot seem to make Quan Chi & ST different enough to be in the same game anymore, I've lost hope for that to ever happen again. Baraka is my #1 guy and just too unique to ever miss a game. However, in 11 he was playing like crap, and Havik is due for a game so if he's in, I can accept no Baraka.

Now if they decide to introduce new characters that can fulfill a certain role and or is a certain type, I can accept it for some but not for others. Kollector was cool since I got my man Baraka and we got Sheeva, but with still a few haven't seen for soooo long, it would be hard to accept. Now if they decide to introduce new sorcerers, shokans, tarkatans etc. and do them justice then that's cool. But since they seem to be hell-bent on just beefing up D'Vorah & Erron Black while shitting on the one new spiritual god like character is used as fodder in Kotal, badly miss on introducing a new god in Centrion and expanding the Special Forces, gun toting humans then that's not acceptable. There needs to be balance at least.

I expect MK12 to have some surprises and slightly hope we get a lot of the above mentioned in favor of some of the classics. I wouldn't be upset as much if a lot of those mentioned not in but a diverse roster and at least the classics were done well, both gameplay and story wise, but only Liu Kang & Jax in 11, Kano, Kitana & Mileena in X were done justice. Both Scorpion and Sub-Zero are stale, missing key classic moves and or just not innovative enough. Wish I could separate story and characterization from gameplay, but I just cannot. And I'd say the weapon system and choices have contributed to feeling 11 in particular was poorly done.

Rice

SIRO FOR MK1
Here is my roster predictions/hope with a 32 base roster.
Most likely lower but lets hope the roster is gonna be a bigger one this time.

Would like to see a story that begins in the new Great Kung Lao Era that concludes with Onagas return in the modern time.

MK1-3:
  1. Scorpion
  2. Sub-Zero
  3. Liu Kang
  4. Raiden
  5. Kung Lao
  6. Jax
  7. Sonya
  8. Kitana
  9. Mileena
  10. Jade
  11. Reptile
  12. Smoke
  13. Rain
  14. Shang Tsung
  15. Goro
MK4/M:
  1. Quan Chi
  2. Fujin
  3. Tanya
  4. Reiko
  5. Sareena
3D ERA:
  1. Kenshi
  2. Ashrah
  3. Li Mei
  4. Kobra
NRS ERA:
  1. Skarlet
  2. Tremor
  3. Kotal Kahn
  4. Takeda
  5. Kung Jin
New:
  1. Great Kung Lao
  2. Nightwolf (Female)
  3. Tiamat (Onagas Right Hand)
Preorder:
33. Onaga LIVES

MK DLC Characters down the line:
  1. Johnny Cage
  2. Havik
  3. Ermac
  4. Nitara
  5. Noob Saibot
  6. Cyrax
  7. Sektor

Last edited:

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
If MK ever wanted to branch more into the Tag style games, an MK vs KI game could be a lot of fun. Only question to me is how to find a way to reconcile the different gameplay elements of both games while keeping things interesting and maintaining KI characters feeling like KI and MK characters feeling like MK.
There's a lot of good examples of two (or more) completely differently played games doing cross-overs like:
  • Street Fighter X Tekken
  • Capcom vs SNK
  • SNK vs Capcom
  • Virtua Fighter characters in Dead or Alive 5 (Sarah in VF5 plays very different than she does in DOA5)
  • Geese Howard & Akuma in Tekken 7
  • Terry Bogard, Ryu/Ken & Kazuya is Smash Ultimate
  • All the Capcom crossover of Street Fighter, Darkstalkers & Red Earth
  • All the SNK crossovers of Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Samurai Shodown & King of Fighters

If there's a will, there's a way.

Who knows this could be a reality:

Last edited:

Rice

SIRO FOR MK1
Johnny dlc?
Announce him as the first DLC before launch like they did with Shang and he will bring all the money.

MK needs to get away from having all MK1 characters must have for the base roster every NRS game.

Make the base roster more diverse and interesting instead.

Scorpion and Sub-Zero are the only characters that should be guaranteed in a MK game imo.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
Announce him as the first DLC before launch like they did with Shang and he will bring all the money.

MK needs to get away from having all MK1 characters must have for the base roster every NRS game.

Make the base roster more diverse and interesting instead.

Scorpion and Sub-Zero are the only characters that should be guaranteed in a MK game imo.
I can understand this. They already made his & Sonya's replacement why bother still having Johnny Cage & Sonya?

Also I wouldn't say just Scorpion & Sub-Zero either but I would add Liu Kang and/or Raiden.

They don't need Kano, he hasn't been a fan favourite since MK1 even when he was good in the NRS-era players still never really played him & he’s a jobber in the story who served no real purpose except antagonizing Sonya & Cassie along with supplying Outworld with firearms & being a terrible mercenary. They could easily bring back Kira who played like Sonya & Kano (then make her look like 2005-2006 Lita).

Liu Kang is the Champion of Mortal Kombat who was the main hero of the story but if he’s going to be the new Raiden…you could simply give his White Lotus spot with Kai. Raiden is necessary if NRS doesn't go with the direction that he's replaced with Fujin or Liu Kang.

Mortal Kombat has huge & vast roster of characters that they don't really need to introduce anyone except Earthrealmers who age later down the line (but you could potentially make a storyline around).

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I dont think they should add many (if any) new characters. MK has such a huge cast of characters already and I think it would be worthwhile revisiting some of them. Most of the new playable characters usually just wind up jobbers anyway (all MK11 newies). Why make more useless characters to bloat the class when you can develop existing characters who have only been in one (counting out MKA) mainline series. I would rather see characters like Ashrah, Li Mei, Shujinko. Ferra Torr, Takeda, Havik in a cast rather than some new useless henchmen.