What's new

Real Talk: Should I switch to an Xbox One?

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Also PS4 controller shits on xbox controller for free when it comes to playing fighting games on pad, don't even front on that.

For you.

Personally, I hate the PS controllers. I've learned to deal with them since I'm on playstation these days, but they're straight trash.

Spinky

Hopium Junkie
Xbox pad is great for 99% of games, but horrible for fighters. Was bummed we had to use them at the reveal. Can barely play fighters on Xbox without a Brook Adapter.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
I have both--two version of each console--and I can say Xbox One X definitely looks better if you have a 75inch 4k tv. Equally awesome on the xbox imho is the elite controller (with the paddles) that makes all games other than fighters way more fun to play. Not having to take your hands off the stick ever is great, especially in first person shooters, even in games like Witcher.

That being said, PS4 > xbox when it comes to exclusives. Yet xbox has backward compatibility which is great. But really, it's only like 3-400 dollars to buy one, so why not?

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I've been thinking about this for a while, and it's causing me to step on my ego a whole lot because I always trash talked Xbox just because I always had Playstation consoles since I was a kid. I recently got a 360 to play older games and the reason I didn't want to get a PS3, was because I had like 3 over the years and they all died on me and I really like the 360 controllers, especially for fighting games when I'm not using a stick and playing casually with friends.

But is there that much of a big difference between the two consoles? Or is it just a red v blue thing - they both have their pros and cons and ultimately it's just a matter of preference?
PS4 or PC hands down.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
If fighting games are your primary concern, there is effectively no reason to own a xbox.
If video games in general are your primary concern, there is still effectively no reason to own an xbox.

I got fond memories of my 360 but this generation was decided a fair bit ago, only people who I know who own xbox's play shooters, and 99% of the time its just cause they came in hot off the 360 without even really thinking about it.
This isn’t true at all. Fighting games run better on XB1, both online and offline ime from owning and playing both A LOT. The XB controller is better, and plenty of people play fighters on XB1. I’ve not once had a problem finding matches on XB1, from casuals to great players. This weird anti XBOX propaganda that no one plays fighters on XB1 is demonstrably false, and nonsense.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I liked the 360 controller a lot. I don’t like the Xbox one controller that much. The ps4 controller is much better imo. You said you use a stick though so I don’t think it matters much.

The install base for ps4 is also much larger so I’d imagine there is more competition there. Or more noobs like to me to slay. It could go either or in that regard.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
This isn’t true at all. Fighting games run better on XB1, both online and offline ime from owning and playing both A LOT. The XB controller is better, and plenty of people play fighters on XB1. I’ve not once had a problem finding matches on XB1, from casuals to great players. This weird anti XBOX propaganda that no one plays fighters on XB1 is demonstrably false, and nonsense.
That isn't true at all. You have inserted your personal confirmation bias into this. Its not like the the netcode runs different algorithms on PC/Xbox/PS4. PS4 controller is better, and a a very tiny, small amount of people play fighters on XB1.

I got nothing against you friend, but this "weird anti xbox propaganda" you talk about comes off as "weird pro xbox propaganda" as I am reading it.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I do not think it is worth buying anything new at this stage, unless it is that switch thing or w/e the new handheld nintendo thing is.

Basically the new generation of consoles is like what?.. 2 years out max... seems like a waste of money to buy any console right at this time as it will be needing replacement super soon.

I vote PC, anyway. PC has always been the best imo... but I am seriously considering getting a Xbox when the new generation comes out as PC is getting more and more expensive and the consoles are pretty awesome nowadays.

Why Xbox over PS? See below + as a 6f6 guy I much prefer the larger pads that xbox have. The PS4 pads are so small I get terrible cramp using them. IMO they have always been much better to use. Plus I also like the UI and stuff. M$s knows how to make a OS.

I mainly use a stick or a hitbox for fighting games and platformers anyway though.

Xbox has no exclusives for a while now, no reason to own one over Ps4.
not exactly true. There are plenty of Xbone exclusives, particularly incoming as they have been buying up major developers for the last year like crazy.

The best reasoning for Xbox and the future Microsoft consoles is the built in integration with windows. Cross platform support to windows and android are setup by default and many games are "supposedly" going to be playable on both windows and pc. They also have a history of cross play with nintendo as well.

This is a huge reason to move to Xbox for the next generation.

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
Why Xbox over PS? See below + as a 6f6 guy I much prefer the larger pads that xbox have. The PS4 pads are so small I get terrible cramp using them.
Just get an adapter and use the XB1 pad on Ps4.

not exactly true. There are plenty of Xbone exclusives, particularly incoming as they have been buying up major developers for the last year like crazy.

The best reasoning for Xbox and the future Microsoft consoles is the built in integration with windows. Cross platform support to windows and android are setup by default and many games are "supposedly" going to be playable on both windows and pc. They also have a history of cross play with nintendo as well.

This is a huge reason to move to Xbox for the next generation.
Cross play shmos play, also Forza and Gears don't count...the one really good exclusive was Sunset Overdrive and even that has been ported to PC. Nobody comes close to what Sony offers when it comes to exclusives, not even Nintendo.
Also PS4 has PSVR, and PS5 is rumored to have integrated VR support, and anyone that has played VR knows that it's where the future is at.

Espio

Kokomo
I've been thinking about this for a while, and it's causing me to step on my ego a whole lot because I always trash talked Xbox just because I always had Playstation consoles since I was a kid. I recently got a 360 to play older games and the reason I didn't want to get a PS3, was because I had like 3 over the years and they all died on me and I really like the 360 controllers, especially for fighting games when I'm not using a stick and playing casually with friends.

But is there that much of a big difference between the two consoles? Or is it just a red v blue thing - they both have their pros and cons and ultimately it's just a matter of preference?

I don't know why people play these arguments like this or that controller is better. Not only is it all preference, but all these converters exist so there's never a reason to have to choose your console based on that concept.

I've never had to replace my PS3 or PS4 since I have purchased either console and was/still am an avid gamer and that applies to Xbox as well where you'll get people that have no problems out of their Xbox, but others who have had to replace them. Sometimes we luck out, sometimes we do not.

If you already own a Ps4 especially, I don't see any reason to switch. The tournament standard has been set as PS4 this generation and due to that you can expect to have a more varied, diverse population of players plus if you like a lot of variety in games, I would say PS4 edges out Xbox on exclusives.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Xbox Controller > PS controllers. All day every day.

That said, wait until the MK11 tournament console is announced or decided to choose which console you want (and ultimately which one to get MK11 on) because that's where all the good players will be.
This.
The One controller might be the most comfortable I've ever been with a pad.

I'm a Sony guy, but man do I miss those buttons.

J_in_CA

Noob
I have a Pro and a One X and I'll say this, when it comes to fighting games there are very little I any graphical differences, too much depends on keeping the game at a solid 60fps so no studio is pushing them to their limit. I have Injustice 2 on both the One X and Pro and they look pretty much identical, I also have MKX on both and because that game wasn't enhanced for either mid-gen console the PS4 version actually looks better, it's just cleaner. There really is no reason to buy an X1 over a PS4 unless you really want Gears or Halo, MS is in a bit of a mess right now with their first party studios, they've purchased a few smaller lesser known studios and will be building them up but that's going to take years to pay off.

Personally I like the DS4 more than the X1 controller, I also liked the 360 controller better than the X1 controller, the build quality was just better, the one that came with my One X wasn't put together correctly and the replacement I bought has a shoulder button that sticks, it just feels lighter and cheaper overall.

I think Sony's controller is much better for fighting games, the triggers suck on the X1 controller for fighting games and the d-pad isn't as accurate IMO. It's up to you, everyone has their own taste but as a guy who's always been a mutli-console owner who preferred xbox over PS up until this gen I'd say stick with the PS4.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I don't know why people play these arguments like this or that controller is better. Not only is it all preference, but all these converters exist so there's never a reason to have to choose your console based on that concept.

I've never had to replace my PS3 or PS4 since I have purchased either console and was/still am an avid gamer and that applies to Xbox as well where you'll get people that have no problems out of their Xbox, but others who have had to replace them. Sometimes we luck out, sometimes we do not.

If you already own a Ps4 especially, I don't see any reason to switch. The tournament standard has been set as PS4 this generation and due to that you can expect to have a more varied, diverse population of players plus if you like a lot of variety in games, I would say PS4 edges out Xbox on exclusives.
Yeah, controllers are pretty frivolous, but sometimes it makes a difference. But I agree, I sometimes go off on tangents and need to change stuff. From what I read here most people think I should stick with my PS4 and that's what I'm gona do.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
If your looking at exclusives, bigger player base, more games, and a smaller space to put the console then stick with PS4.

If your looking for everything else plus backwards compatible games. A real console style like Netflix for games. A somewhat more mature community for your gaming. Then Xbox is for you.

Or you can be like me and own both plus a Switch.
You sure about that smaller s space? I own multiple versions of the PS4 and Xbox One (original Xbox one, Xbox one S, Xbox one X, an original PS4, a days of play PS4 and a Spiderman PS4 Pro).

The smallest of those are the Xbox One X and the Xbox One S. The thinnest is the days of play PS4. The largest is the Spiderman PS4 Pro. These consoles are set up in multiple rooms throughout my home. I make sure my guests are properly entertained. (There are also two Nintendo Switch consoles thrown in for good measure.)

The most powerful of them is the Xbox One X by a long shot. Many of the Enhanced PS4 Pro titles do not offer a huge leap in performance over the standard PS4, though some do. Horizon Zero dawn comes to mind as sort of a let down.

On a side note, I've read so many comments here about Xbox not having any games. That's absurd. I have 688 games installed on my Xbox One X (12TB external drive). Xbox One has the games that count from 3rd parties. Also, Sony's exclusives are great, but most are one and done once you beat them.

I'm super happy with both consoles. My recommendation to everyone is to get all consoles and have a nice PC to complete your gaming experience. That way, you can be like me and giggle at all the misinformation coming from people who only own one of them.

jmt

Noob
Xbox Controller > PS controllers. All day every day.

That said, wait until the MK11 tournament console is announced or decided to choose which console you want (and ultimately which one to get MK11 on) because that's where all the good players will be.
Umm no. PS4 controller works perfectly. Xbox controller is poorly made junk. Like 1 out of 10 people prefer the xbox controller. I know some of you prefer it, but I just don't get it. The dpad is sad joke.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Umm no. PS4 controller works perfectly. Xbox controller is poorly made junk. Like 1 out of 10 people prefer the xbox controller. I know some of you prefer it, but I just don't get it. The dpad is sad joke.
I like the 360 controllers, but the one controller seems a bit too beefy.

kevkopdx

Noob
I prefer the xbone controller by far, I bought a hori for the PS4 cuz I cannot stand their dpad. I prefer the xbone UI over ps4 too, still if you own a PS4 there is little reason to buy an Xbox

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
Which is why I prefer arcade sticks to pads. In my opinion, all d-pads are a joke. When I play a fighting game that is cross-platform, I have no controller learning curve issues. Arcade sticks work and feel mostly the same across the board. There are lots of d-pad players that handle their business with the best of them. I am amazed that they can work those tiny things that well. My hat goes off to all pad players.

portent

Noob
So without a doubt, in terms of fighters, yes, PS4 is the better choice because it's the tournament standard.

This has already been established not only by TO's, but also by this thread as well. Because of that, most higher level tournament players will practice online on the system that is used for tournaments, so if you're looking to play those players, PS4 will be the best bet to find them.

Aside from that:

Fighters: PS4
Exclusives: opinion based, but PS4 currently has more
Cross Play important to you: Xb1
Halo/Gears Important to you: Xb1
Killer Instinct: Xb1 (unless you have good windows 10 pc)
1st Party games but doesn't do any 3rd party games better than other systems: Switch

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Unless you have a specific group of friends on XB1 you'd like to play with, you're better off putting the investment towards a good PC honestly, or at the very least waiting to see what they do with the next-gen Xbox. Microsoft effectively committed suicide in terms of exclusive games once they started issuing PC ports of their XB1 games lol.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Which is why I prefer arcade sticks to pads. In my opinion, all d-pads are a joke. When I play a fighting game that is cross-platform, I have no controller learning curve issues. Arcade sticks work and feel mostly the same across the board. There are lots of d-pad players that handle their business with the best of them. I am amazed that they can work those tiny things that well. My hat goes off to all pad players.
Yeah, that's true, I play with a stick as well, but for non-FGs I use the pads of course. I just don't play those games that much, to be honest.

So without a doubt, in terms of fighters, yes, PS4 is the better choice because it's the tournament standard.

This has already been established not only by TO's, but also by this thread as well. Because of that, most higher level tournament players will practice online on the system that is used for tournaments, so if you're looking to play those players, PS4 will be the best bet to find them.

Aside from that:

Fighters: PS4
Exclusives: opinion based, but PS4 currently has more
Cross Play important to you: Xb1
Halo/Gears Important to you: Xb1
Killer Instinct: Xb1 (unless you have good windows 10 pc)
1st Party games but doesn't do any 3rd party games better than other systems: Switch
Yeah, no idea what I thought about switching I'm not much of a Gears or Halo fan, to begin with. My concern was more for fighters and which console is best for them and online.

Unless you have a specific group of friends on XB1 you'd like to play with, you're better off putting the investment towards a good PC honestly, or at the very least waiting to see what they do with the next-gen Xbox. Microsoft effectively committed suicide in terms of exclusive games once they started issuing PC ports of their XB1 games lol.
True, I have a really good PC. I need to switch the MB and CPU though I built it in 2015. Though I switched out the GPU 2 years ago.