What's new

Real Talk: Should I switch to an Xbox One?

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I've been thinking about this for a while, and it's causing me to step on my ego a whole lot because I always trash talked Xbox just because I always had Playstation consoles since I was a kid. I recently got a 360 to play older games and the reason I didn't want to get a PS3, was because I had like 3 over the years and they all died on me and I really like the 360 controllers, especially for fighting games when I'm not using a stick and playing casually with friends.

But is there that much of a big difference between the two consoles? Or is it just a red v blue thing - they both have their pros and cons and ultimately it's just a matter of preference?

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I switched from Microsoft to Sony after I went through two XB1s. My original one stopped reading discs, and loved to crash applications randomly. It wouldn't have been a big deal, but when you're broadcasting a game and the game crashes to desktop, that kills the stream. It would be about an 'every-other-day' occurrence. I then upgraded to an XB1 elite thinking that might help. Same shit. Random app crashes. Said f*ck it, switched to Sony. I think I've had a game crash on me ONCE in like 2 years. I'm very happy with it. And from what I can tell, XB1 STILL has crashing problems. Was watching a let's play uploaded just the other week and their game crashed mid-capture. I dunno what Microsoft's deal is.

I prefer the PS4 pad and its exclusives. I've always prefered Sony but Xbox has its pros (and cons of course). And for MK11 the tournaments will likely be on PS4.
The only thing that bugs me with the PS4 is that you can't even play PS1/2/3 games on it. They didn't allow retro compatibility so they can sell the PS2 games digitally and likely sell the PS3 games on the PS5.

and it's causing me to step on my ego
As long it's not on a Lego :DOGE

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I think it comes down to player base and games library. The only thing I like about the Xbox is the controller, Virtua Fighter 5, and Killer Instinct. Otherwise PS4 seems to be a slight better quality, has more games, and more players, especially when it comes to the FGC.

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
Nah dude. Why would you do that? Pretty much anything you could want out of an Xbox One you can get without actually acquiring one.
"Exclusives"? 99% of the worthwhile ones are also on PC. Controller? There're plenty of converters you can use on PS4 and even 3rd party controllers that are essentially exactly the same thing as the actual One controller.

MrWarMachine

Jacqui/D'Vorah 2020
As someone who used to own all systems (i miss college and disposable money), PS4, for some reason, is usually way more stable. The players are generally better, on top of the fact that now only 1 out of 5 matches are lag fests instead of 3 out of 5.

I also just find the interface to be a lot smoother. yeah, it doesn't take as much time to get into the Xbox Store, but you have to get past of bunch of other tabs just to get to the games. If you really want another console, get a Switch. I was having loads of fun when I sold my Xbox and just focused on those two.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I prefer the PS4 pad and its exclusives. I've always prefered Sony but Xbox has its pros (and cons of course). And for MK11 the tournaments will likely be on PS4.
The only thing that bugs me with the PS4 is that you can't even play PS1/2/3 games on it. They didn't allow retro compatibility so they can sell the PS2 games digitally and likely sell the PS3 games on the PS5.

As long it's not on a Lego :DOGE
lmao, dork XD

but yeah, to play ps3 games you need to buy PS now so they could make more money off of us, since buying ps3 or ps2 would only profit the second-hand stores that are selling them and not Sony itself.

I think it comes down to player base and games library. The only thing I like about the Xbox is the controller, Virtua Fighter 5, and Killer Instinct. Otherwise PS4 seems to be a slight better quality, has more games, and more players, especially when it comes to the FGC.
They're pretty similar except that xbox has no games. Also for fighters ps4 is pretty much the standard and always has a larger player base
Yeah, that's a good point then. If all the tournaments are going to be on PS4 and if there's a bigger player base on there then I'll stick with my PS4.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
If your looking at exclusives, bigger player base, more games, and a smaller space to put the console then stick with PS4.

If your looking for everything else plus backwards compatible games. A real console style like Netflix for games. A somewhat more mature community for your gaming. Then Xbox is for you.

Or you can be like me and own both plus a Switch.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
PS4 for a bigger base player for MK 11 ! and besides, Sony exclusives are better, no argument here. Xbox One is not a bad console, technically speaking, however, overall, picking the cost x benefits related point, PS4 it's a better choice to stick with .... for having more interesting games and the fighting game competition it's better there.

jmt

Noob
Well PS4 is actually a better system. It has better hardware and runs the games at a better frame rate.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Isn't it really more of a momentum thing at this point? PS4 has become the default for FG's, and it kind of stays true because it has been true. Player base is super important for fighters, way beyond most of the other stuff.

I do find myself Attracted to some of what is said in favor of the XB1X. Backwards compatibility, buying a game and having it on both console and PC, and that it's considered a much stronger upgrade than the PS4 pro was over the PS4.

It probably not all good enough reason to get one.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
I have all systems, and my PS4 has been collecting dust for about a year now. No point in playing it when I have an XB1 and a Switch. js

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
If fighting games are your primary concern, there is effectively no reason to own a xbox.
If video games in general are your primary concern, there is still effectively no reason to own an xbox.

I got fond memories of my 360 but this generation was decided a fair bit ago, only people who I know who own xbox's play shooters, and 99% of the time its just cause they came in hot off the 360 without even really thinking about it.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Xbox Controller > PS controllers. All day every day.

That said, wait until the MK11 tournament console is announced or decided to choose which console you want (and ultimately which one to get MK11 on) because that's where all the good players will be.
The MK11 "tournament console" is ps4. Its already decided. Like I am not talking maybe, this is 100% given. Even if MS pays for another round of the online tournament structure stuff to be on Xbox like it was for a bit early in MKX's life, A L L offline tournaments will be running it on ps4.

Also DS4 controller shits on xbox controller for free when it comes to playing fighting games on pad, don't even front on that.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
OH and the one pro for Xbox that I can actually think of (other than it's one good exclusive... gears of war) is that, in my experience, there seems to be less laggy matches on xbox live than on psn.