What's new

Discussion Reactions vs Reads, what is the difference

I'll be sure to add to this thread later, but anyone saying they can react to a 7 frame move is a damn liar and needs a "MK9-Subzero Standing 1" slap to the face.

Tweedy

Noob
I don't even feel like I can react to Takeda's B2 in non-Ronin variations sometimes.

Who is cocky enough with their reactions to where they think they can react to 7 frame moves lol? Walking out of D1 range and whiff punishing them on reaction and shit lmfao.

Solomon Gorondy

Should Goro be top 5?
@Eddy Wang The fastest human reaction time is much faster than what you stated https://www.reference.com/science/fastest-human-reaction-time-744b62945476fb5d
Since the game runs at 60 frames per second that means that once signaled a human can potentially react in 7 frames however you must adjust this with input and monitor lag which will result in at least 8 or 9 frames. Remember that, in a mix-up, the signal on how to correctly block rarely if ever happens in the first few frames which is why a 50/50 can occur with moves that have way more than 9 start-up frames.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
@Eddy Wang The fastest human reaction time is much faster than what you stated https://www.reference.com/science/fastest-human-reaction-time-744b62945476fb5d
Since the game runs at 60 frames per second that means that once signaled a human can potentially react in 7 frames however you must adjust this with input and monitor lag which will result in at least 8 or 9 frames. Remember that in a mix-up the signal on how to correctly block rarely if ever happens in the first few frames which is why a 50/50 can occur with moves that have way more than 9 start-up frames.
Did he/she reacted to 50-50s?In if this is true since average is 215ms.

Does this makes madeofmetal the daddy?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Since the game runs at 60 frames per second that means that once signaled a human can potentially react in 7 frames however you must adjust this with input and monitor lag which will result in at least 8 or 9 frames. Remember that in a mix-up the signal on how to correctly block rarely if ever happens in the first few frames which is why a 50/50 can occur with moves that have way more than 9 start-up frames.

Besides, i will believe it when i see a person "react" not guess to a overhead in 7frames, that is humanly impossible in fighting games, its just not possible.

Solomon Gorondy

Should Goro be top 5?

Besides, i will believe it when i see a person "react" not guess to a overhead in 7frames, that is humanly impossible in fighting games, its just not possible.
The subject clicked a button in reaction to visual stimuli. This would be the same as pressing down while holding the block button; I'm not sure if letting go of a button is as fast a reaction as pressing. I don't believe a 7 frame reaction at 60fps is possible either, simply because of input lag., but 9 or 10 frames is definitely possible. Keep in mind I am saying 9 frames after the proper visual signal - not when the button is pressed.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Since the game runs at 60 frames per second that means that once signaled a human can potentially react in 7 frames however you must adjust this with input and monitor lag which will result in at least 8 or 9 frames. Remember that, in a mix-up, the signal on how to correctly block rarely if ever happens in the first few frames which is why a 50/50 can occur with moves that have way more than 9 start-up frames.
Something like this would remind me of Isao Machii. And to have good reaction you need to have very good observation. You know... The eye is the faster organ than the rest of the body. After the eye comes the mind, and after the mind the rest of the body.

Solomon Gorondy

Should Goro be top 5?
Here's some of in game reaction speeds that human beings are capable of from best to average. These frames do not refer to the start-up of an attack rather the amount of time needed to react after being signaled. It does not account for input, monitor, or online lag.

7 frames
= 101 to 116 milliseconds (0.101 seconds to 0.116 seconds)
8 frames = 117 to 133 milliseconds
9 frames = 134 to 150 milliseconds
10 frames = 151 to 166 milliseconds
11 frames = 167 to 183 milliseconds
12 frames = 184 to 200 milliseconds
13 frames = 201 to 216 milliseconds
14 frames = 217 to 233 milliseconds
15 frames = 234 to 250 milliseconds
16 frames = 251 to 266 milliseconds

Last edited:

Tweedy

Noob
Sorry, but no. No human being is reacting to a 7 frame or 12 frame button. Hell, no one is going to consistently react to a 17/18 frame button either.
Alien's 50/50s are 17 and 18 frames and yeah no one reacts to them.

But this topic introduces an interesting way to downplay Alien. Kappa

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
The subject clicked a button in reaction to visual stimuli. This would be the same as pressing down while holding the block button; I'm not sure if letting go of a button is as fast a reaction as pressing. I don't believe a 7 frame reaction at 60fps is possible either, simply because of input lag., but 9 or 10 frames is definitely possible. Keep in mind I am saying 9 frames after the proper visual signal - not when the button is pressed.
The part about the proper visual sign is particularly important. There are always frames to be added there as during the first few frames you will mosy likely not be able to recognize which animation the opponent is doing, you will only react to the fact that he is moving.

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
I agree you can't react to B3 or B1, but I'm pretty sure you can react to cartwheel and her low profiling kick. It's the grab I have trouble with reacting to when it comes to military stance.
In my honest, humble, controversial and irrelevant opinion, her cartwheel is only reactable on paper. From all the times I played Covert ops, I've never had anyone block that on reaction. It's 22f, but with proper conditioning, it's GGs. The true 50/50 after the initial 50/50 is the grab and the low, but because people are ALWAYS expecting those two options, they never block high. You can hit people with that since it's not expected. Another benefit of her cartwheel is that it breaks armor with its double hits, so one more reason to throw that out more often.

omooba

fear the moobs
i stiiiiiiiill can't consistenly react to mileena's 33 frame overhead without using a monitor

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
If you're waiting for a specific movement and react according to the assumption that said movement is coming at that moment, it's a read. If you have no idea what's coming and counter it, it's a reaction.

If you're waiting for a specific movement and react according to the ASSUMPTION that said movement is coming at that moment, it's a read. If you have no idea what's coming and counter it, it's a reaction.
But what about waiting for a move and actually reacting to the move rather than performing a counter when you assume the moves coming?

then it's a mix of both. Doesn't have to be black and white, when you narrow it down to a few options and react to one of them it's both.
Well to me it's back and white

If you only counter when you see/hear the move it's a reaction, if you do the move just because you think they'll do the move it's a read.

Last edited:
Well to me it's back and white

If you only counter when you see/hear the move it's a reaction, if you do the just because you think they'll do the move it's a read.
well it doesn't really matter what it is to you, just what it is, and it's a fact that when you narrow down an opponents options with a read you can react faster to the options you're still looking for, no real player has ever been in a game while not making reads while reacting simultaneously they work together most of the time.

In the case of a 50-50 is not just pressing the block button when the opponent starts moving, the brain first must know if to block high or low depending on the startup animation. Sometimes it takes a few frames to tell apart if the move is oh or low.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
In the case of a 50-50 is not just pressing the block button when the opponent starts moving, the brain first must know if to block high or low depending on the startup animation. Sometimes it takes a few frames to tell apart if the move is oh or low.
which is why this fastest reaction time of 7f doesn't apply here, its not like you're only expecting one move, or a red light to blink green and you press that button at 0.101ms equally 7f.

Even in MKX a character who is a midscreen with some serious offense options will put you on hold just for staying at that range, either is a overhead, a low, a advancing mid, a run into grab or both options, a jump...

its a lot to react in 7 frames, a human mind cannot look at all these options all in 1 frame and tell apart, its just not possible.

Solomon Gorondy

Should Goro be top 5?
which is why this fastest reaction time of 7f doesn't apply here, its not like you're only expecting one move, or a red light to blink green and you press that button at 0.101ms equally 7f.

Even in MKX a character who is a midscreen with some serious offense options will put you on hold just for staying at that range, either is a overhead, a low, a advancing mid, a run into grab or both options, a jump...

its a lot to react in 7 frames, a human mind cannot look at all these options all in 1 frame and tell apart, its just not possible.
Actually, and keep an open mind, a 7 frame reaction can apply depending on the mix-up. Lets say you have to decide between two moves, blocking high or blocking low. You are already holding the block button in a standing position. To change from a high block to a low block all you have to do is press the down button. So once you see the signal (assuming there is one) for it to be a low attack and not the overhead, it is possible to press down 7 frames after, thereby blocking low. It is an anticipated reaction and is possible.

In order to have 7 frame reactions in a 60FPS game you do not need to react in 101ms; it actually ranges from 101ms to 116ms. It is extremely rare to find somebody, especially playing a video game, with reactions this fast but they do exist.

I have not addressed input, monitor, and online lag in this post which will inevitably slow reaction time.

At this point I have nothing left to type. If you can`t figure out that it`s possible for some people to react to the appropriate signal in 101-116ms even though it is a tested and proven fact then I`m sorry but...

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
My reaction time used to be ridiculous, but no longer. Still, my reactions are probably the best thing I do in gaming - except they aren't really reactions. They are educated and well thought out pre-emptive reads.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Actually, and keep an open mind, a 7 frame reaction can apply depending on the mix-up. Lets say you have to decide between two moves, blocking high or blocking low. You are already holding the block button in a standing position. To change from a high block to a low block all you have to do is press the down button. So once you see the signal (assuming there is one) for it to be a low attack and not the overhead, it is possible to press down 7 frames after, thereby blocking low. It is an anticipated reaction and is possible.

In order to have 7 frame reactions in a 60FPS game you do not need to react in 101ms; it actually ranges from 101ms to 116ms. It is extremely rare to find somebody, especially playing a video game, with reactions this fast but they do exist.

I have not addressed input, monitor, and online lag in this post which will inevitably slow reaction time.

At this point I have nothing left to type. If you can`t figure out that it`s possible for some people to react to the appropriate signal in 101-116ms even though it is a tested and proven fact then I`m sorry but...
No person in the world will react at 7f to this reaction test its just not possible without guessing and anticipating.
http://labzerogames.com/iheartteyah/MilliaBlocker_v0.3.swf

The moment you know you have to block in between high and low and you're already waiting for it to happen which will focus your entire attention to it, its no longer a reaction its a read, the opponent knowing this can just add as many options as he feels like to mix you up specially if those have deceiving ones, you brain will still have to process what move he used in order to block, that will take longer than 7f to react.

Addhad

GOD OF EARTHRELM
When u duck da grab n u punish dat read
When u know an alien gunna do f13 oh dat read
When u AA dat reaction
When u duck da grab n u get poked HOOOOOOOOOO DAT A BROKEN MONITER @XxDark_