What's new

Rank the top 10 zoning variations in order

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Have you played Possessed? Have you had someone run straight through bf3? Yeah it hurts and ppl say that I whine the same way ppl whine about sub zero ice clone not working. Patches are supposed to fix stuff primarily before buffs and nerfs which is why they are called patches. yeah I'm mad
Hey hey hey I'm not against complaining about unfair whiffs and I fully support any change to get those fixed, I agree fully. But to say Balanced isn't even a top 5 zoner let alone top 10 is just downplaying hard, as certain Kenshi players have been doing consistently since MKX forced them to adapt to winning a match without being ultra S Tier like they were in MK9

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
This is new to me, lol guess i have some tech to pick up as a kitana main
I'll show you something that I haven't saw any Kitana do so far and I haven't saw anybody talk about this yet ;) You can convert full screen off of the EX fan with an instant air fan then just run in and combo. In my video I'll just show you the conversion, not optimal damage :p

@EMPEROR_SunFire

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Aw c'mon I'm just poking fun to reference what we were talking about earlier to make sure we're still cool and there's no hate man :p
No I get it and we're cool dw, I woke up in the middle of the night so i'm all over the place anyway, I just want to make it clear that I don't rate him as a zoner whatsoever really, Cause before you know it everyone will be quoting me saying something I didn't :p

Scott The Scot

No I get it and we're cool dw, I woke up in the middle of the night so i'm all over the place anyway, I just want to make it clear that I don't rate him as a zoner whatsoever really, Cause before you know it everyone will be quoting me saying something I didn't :p
Dat paranoia man :p Be ambigious so you can option select in the future if you need to haha.

gam224

The world's least hype player
I'll show you something that I haven't saw any Kitana do so far and I haven't saw anybody talk about this yet ;) You can convert full screen off of the EX fan with an instant air fan then just run in and combo. In my video I'll just show you the conversion, not optimal damage :p

@EMPEROR_SunFire
well... damn i though i knew my character lol, thanks for the tech

Scott The Scot

well... damn i though i knew my character lol, thanks for the tech
lol I wouldn't worry about whether you know everything, like I said, I don't think any Kitana's do this. Well, they haven't in tournament footage. It's really hard to do but with practice you can get it :)

You're welcome,
just trying to help

In all fighting games I usually gravitate toward characters who can run away. I do not think zoning is strong in this game. The developers obviously wanted this to be an in your face game. It reminds me of a mini Marvel vs Capcom 3.

- you start in poke range of some characters
- the characters are never far away from each other like other fighting games
- the boards are very small. Many characters can corner carry you with one combo
- you get punished for backdashing in this game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wtf is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! why do forward dashes not require stamina!!!???
- walk speed is horrible except a few characters so you cannot walk in and out of poke ranges. footsies are limited
- RUN BUTTON!
- 50/50, 33/33/33, loopable pressure. if you block quan chi you literally have to block until he runs out of meter. Shinnok loopable pressure.
- the timer is never a factor
- the best zoning characters have crap wake ups... or don't lead to real damage or positioning
- push block, for some reason, requires ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL of your resources lol

If you are literally talking about pure zoning (and ignoring all other factors i.e. mix ups, wake ups, reversals ...)
1) Quan Chi (summoner)- no doubt about it. rune is the best projectile in the game. its hard to use bc it does not track and maybe thats by people don't really know how good he is. no other charcter has the ability to lock you down like quan. the bat work freezes people. lets not forget about his INSANE meter building.

2) Predator (hish qu ten) - best recovery on fireballs in this game. amazing. complementary tools to the plasma cannon (disc). The mb lateral plasma is amazing. the up plama mb is 6 frames! his best anti-air for sure

3) Shinnok (bone shaper) - you can not really react to his projectile at mid range or closer. its just about his projectile but the other tools that compliment it.

4) Kitana (roya storm) - converts to >30% no matter where she hits you! that is huge! her projectiles are all highs but have good recovery and even better combo potential. She wins hit advantage on trade with most characters. Its more about her damage conversion off a single it... dont jump vs her... ever

5) Mournful Kitana and pyro tanya - tie. jump back fireballs. they can live in an area of the screen that most characters cannot cover when mid to full screen away

6) Jacqui (full auto) - machine gun travels across the screen extremely fast and does a very good job controlling the pace of the match. only non mb projectile you cannot jump over unless you can change your jump arc. complementary toools in up/low rocket.

7) Lui Kang (flame fist and dragons fury) - meh... barely made the list but he can zone ok. no real thinking here.

not rated and over rated:
kenshi is a bill. duck his tele-fury and 75% of the cast can punish or get on top of him. his buffs were not enough to make him viable. kano is also a bill... 5% projectiles. The character is too easy to advance on. he cannot open you up either.

Now: taking all the characters tools into account, the list changes

1) Shinnok (bone shaper) - no other character gets their turn back better than him. a counter poke (on hit or block) puts you in a standing reset!, his f4 is THE EXACT SAME THING AS PRE PATCH RAIDEN FORWARD 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, he has a standing reset which is one of the most powerful tools in fighting games, amazing footsies. arguable a top 3 character in the game right now.

2) Quan Chi - if you block anything this character does, you have to block high low mix ups until his meter is gone. ya his wake up sucks but his zoning and vortex (best in the game) make up for it. if he had a legit wake up he would be undisputed number 1.

3) Predator - still new but amazing damage, amazing zoning, amazing d4 close low plasma cancel, plasma cancels, amazing j2/3, 32 mix ups and pressure. probably top 10 overall

others are not worth mentioning as zoners really. jacqui is good but her pokes are horendous. she is a few frames away from being viable at the highest level of play.

Zabru

My blade is broken damn right better than yours!
I disagree with this, I think that variation is all looks, too meter dependant. Everytime you switched to this in tournaments I wish you stuck with balanced instead.
Why? Do you play possessed? Yes it has a thing for meter but it has semi-safe mixups and amazing pressure and to be honest more control of your opponent then balanced it it even has a vortex and lets not forget the damage. I'm not trying to be rude but I am really interested in why you would think balanced is better then possessed. Also both balanced and Kenjustu were nerfed last patch Kenjutsu was butchered (I lost 4% of my metered bnbs) and balanced lost only a percent or two of damage but this kinda took the edge off it's meterless damage which was the my fav thing about balanced.

Possessed didn't get the damage scaling nerf (thank god) so I think it's his best variant, I rarely find myself playing balanced but zoning just isn't that good in this game and I seldom play Kenjutsu when I need to rushdown and need access to more tools.

What of you?

Zabru

Hey hey hey I'm not against complaining about unfair whiffs and I fully support any change to get those fixed, I agree fully. But to say Balanced isn't even a top 5 zoner let alone top 10 is just downplaying hard, as certain Kenshi players have been doing consistently since MKX forced them to adapt to winning a match without being ultra S Tier like they were in MK9
He is a top 10 zoner but he should be top 3 imo. But thats not my real problem, it's just the way the game pays no respect to zoning so even if he was ultra s tier zoning he would still be only alright cause ultra s tier zoning in this game would be like b level rushdown. I feel they wasted a spot on the roster by putting a zone orientated character in a game thats about rushdown. They should have had smoke or maybe noob imo. Also I'm sorry I get a bit aggressive to you early when you didn't deserve it.

Zabru

Zoning is not good in this game when one of your primary zoning tools has 50+ recovery frames on whiff. Kenshi will never be higher than a mid tier character until tele-flurry becomes safer, which should be the case given the character's lack of mix ups.
Yes this is exactly what I'm trying to say! In a game were mixups and rushdown is favored it would take godlike zoning to keep up. But in this game zoning is a mere after thought compared to aggressive play which is why they haven't bothered to fix subzero. A godlike zoner would be like a good rushdown character at best in this game. If mixups are lost for a character in a game were mixups are key there better be something amazing to make up for it and that just isn't the case with kenshi.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I disagree with this, I think that variation is all looks, too meter dependant. Everytime you switched to this in tournaments I wish you stuck with balanced instead.
But I win more w possessed

Meter building is actually good , better damage, no -51/-53 whiffed moves, safer sc, safer rk, resets, safe 50/50s. Better and safer spacing

The more I play all 3 the less I'm finding that's good w balance

Immortal

Blind justice....
But I win more w possessed

Meter building is actually good , better damage, no -51/-53 whiffed moves, safer sc, safer rk, resets, safe 50/50s. Better and safer spacing

The more I play all 3 the less I'm finding that's good w balance
Balanced is the most overrated variation since idk MK X release.

Most people just doesn't even bother to check frame data to see how insanely - he is on whiffed TF.
Most people just take as a fact that balanced zoning is good regardless of frame data numbers.
Most people are just in words of Dave "rushdown fools" and they don't want to be bothered with blocking let alone ducking. They just want to run throu your TF.
Online makes balanced Kenshi looks way better then he actually is but it's still mostly because of those 3 reasons above.

If somebody thinks that balanced Kenshi is a good zoner (or a good character overall for that matter) then he needs to PACK IT UP.

VOR

Noob
Well imo royal storm and full auto are similar in terms of zoning as they both are duckable but deny the opponent movement and control the pace very similarly, i just though jackie's ability to meter burn and generate chip was slightly superior. I though they were in a similar class. I've always been impressed by dab's jackie, and jackie outzones many characters in this game and it allows her to have more freedom of movement.

I never considered shinnock's scoop a zoning tool, but i guess it is because it's half screen. Shinnok's balls themselves are a fantastic tool. I see shinnok boneshaper as a top tier character but overlooked him for zoning i guess.
The mop is more than half screen

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
6) Jacqui (full auto) - machine gun travels across the screen extremely fast and does a very good job controlling the pace of the match. only non mb projectile you cannot jump over unless you can change your jump arc. complementary toools in up/low rocket.
This is not true. Everyone can jump the MB gun if they neutral duck the df2 from half-3/4 screen. Certain characters (eg. Pred, shinnok, Jax) can actually armour through for full combo.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Oop, looks like the "whine till NRS buffs me" crew are back up on the campaign again

I'll be expecting heavy Kenshi buffs again next patch guys, don't disappoint

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
BS Shinnok zones better than Necro. Necro is the "toolset that never was". I'd say actually ability to solely zone opponents to victory is-

1) Summoner Quan
2) HQT Predator
3) Royal Storm Kitana
4) Bone Shaper Shinnok
5) Mournful Kitana
6) Balanced Kenshi
7) Pyro Tanya
8) Grand Master Sub
9) Flame Fist Liu
10) Full Auto Jacqui
i say this one is pretty spot on....