What's new

Strategy Rain's Wake-up Game Discussion

C-Sword

Noob
Regular geyser is the most reliable one, but if you become too predictable, you'll be greeted with moves like Sektor's flame thrower, if you don't mind spending meter, ex rhc is a decent alternative

a_guardian_devil

"We share blood, we are not brothers!"
surprised alot of people think rain`s wake up is crap, armored launcher for 40%? oh yeah he can be pressured

maybe they should have made it 10+ on block and has a 12f startup so some wont complain, step up your game and know when

to use every special at the perfect time. lao and kabal? oh well, here we go again ..

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
surprised alot of people think rain`s wake up is crap, armored launcher for 40%? oh yeah he can be pressured

maybe they should have made it 10+ on block and has a 12f startup so some wont complain, step up your game and know when

to use every special at the perfect time. lao and kabal? oh well, here we go again ..
Ex-Rh is not a wake up. Trust me i know this character almost inside and out and all of his wakeups are insanely risky. Some are okay to use but if people avtually know the rain MU you have to be really careful when throwing anything.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Here is a quick tutorial on how to blow up every single wake up rain can do. One option covers all but one of them.
If you simply empty jump at rain, not try to jip but just be airborne at the time of his wakeup the only wakeup that can hit you is water gun. This means if he does anything but water gun you will most likely get a punish or free pressure. Once you remove all those options and they try water gun all you have to do is duck, cross over, or blow it up since its not invincible. And if rain is still trying to wake up after that then he is insane. Then you can get almost free pressure and just watch out for EX-RH as always. Its that simple. No one really cares about blowing him up cause theres so few rain players but once people know it will be insanely hard for rain to get off the ground without being pressured.

YOMI Reno_Racks

I have a dream...
Dude you're still saying that because Rain's wakeups can be countered that means they are inferior in some way. EVERY character's wake ups can be countered in some way. That doesn't make a character's wake up game good or bad because there's always a counter for the counter. If you read your opponent is going to try to counter your wakeup attack then you can always counter his counter.

You say that as long as you empty jump in on Rain and duck, crossover or blow up his watergun that you get free pressure. As if the Rain player can't make any reads of his own and has to just eat pressure because his opponent happens to understand the mu. If you're opponent does an empty jump in and you read he will try to punish water gun than you have your own set of counters for all of his. If you think he will duck then you simply stand up, dash in and initiate your own pressure. If he attempts to cross you up, on reaction you can njp, uppercut, d1, 4xxbubble, geyser or d4 all into 40% combos. If you think he that he thinks that you think he will counter water gun then you're right back where you started and you just water gun. This is the essence of the yomi layers. There is always a counter for the counter and it always goes full circle.

Rain can punish his opponent from every situation and distance if he is being pressured on wakeup. Rain can also wake up attack from any distance into a 24-40 percent meter less combo. These are the kinds of things that make a solid wakeup game. If you're only argument for Rain's wake up game being shitty is that they can all be blown up some way then you don't have a valid argument since ALL wakeups can be countered to some degree in some way.

How many character's have all of these things in their wake up game:

A wakeup attack(Exlightning) that can do 24-41% damage from any distance and is safe on block.

Two wake up attacks(geyser and water gun) that when mastered can stop jumpins of any kind and position. One of which also can combo into 37-44% damage.

A wakeup teleport that can hit or not hit

Go ahead.. I'll wait. The answer is none. I'm not saying Rain's wakeup game is flawless but I do believe it's pretty strong compared to other characters and is definitely not poo. Even though I do disagree with your opinion of Rain's wakeup game I do appreciate you creating this thread because in doing so you fueled a lot of conversation that is providing great info on this aspect of Rain's game. Keep up the good work pimp.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
I dont feel like making another write up on this. You make some good points. When you are here for good and we can play offline ill show you exactly what i mean.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
There are some invincible frames which are hard to understand for Rain's wakeup.
Lightning wakeup > slides on hit lol.
Same for teleport, sometimes stuffs will whiff and Rain will teleport safely.
Ex storm wakeup makes Rain invincible against projectiles (specific timing).

Someone may tell me precisly what's going on ?

Ex-Rh is not a wake up.
Even if we need the roll, it's fucking good against jumps.

Smarrgasm : can you give me few example of char having good wakeups ?

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
There are some invincible frames which are hard to understand for Rain's wakeup.
Lightning wakeup > slides on hit lol.
Same for teleport, sometimes stuffs will whiff and Rain will teleport safely.
Ex storm wakeup makes Rain invincible against projectiles (specific timing).

Someone may tell me precisly what's going on ?

Even if we need the roll, it's fucking good against jumps.

Smarrgasm : can you give me few example of char having good wakeups ?
I can give you easily 15 characters with better wakeups than rain.
Baraka, Cage, Cyrax, Ermac, Freddy, Jax, Kabal, Kenshi, Lao, Mileena, Noob, Raiden, Sindel, Skarlet, Smoke, Sonya, Sub Zero (that's 17) and i could argue for a lot more. Not only are these characters wake ups better but a lot of them tailor to how the character plays as well. All of rains wakeups for the most part will leave you in a defensive state if blocked or knock the opponent full screen if they hit.

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
I can give you easily 15 characters with better wakeups than rain.
Baraka, Cage, Cyrax, Ermac, Freddy, Jax, Kabal, Kenshi, Lao, Mileena, Noob, Raiden, Sindel, Skarlet, Smoke, Sonya, Sub Zero (that's 17) and i could argue for a lot more. Not only are these characters wake ups better but a lot of them tailor to how the character plays as well. All of rains wakeups for the most part will leave you in a defensive state if blocked or knock the opponent full screen if they hit.
One question....why do people want to get rewarded for getting knocked on the ground?

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
One question....why do people want to get rewarded for getting knocked on the ground?
Because so many of the characters in this game do get rewarded for it. If it was like SF with the crazy mixup oki options then we would never get out of the offensive loop cause some of the offense in this game is ridiculous. Normals do chip and build meter making being in someones face much more rewarding than in SF or other games. Thus our game has the mechanic of invincible wake ups so you have chances to get out of some of the insane offensive/defensive pressure characters have.

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
Because so many of the characters in this game do get rewarded for it. If it was like SF with the crazy mixup oki options then we would never get out of the offensive loop cause some of the offense in this game is ridiculous. Normals do chip and build meter making being in someones face much more rewarding than in SF or other games. Thus our game has the mechanic of invincible wake ups so you have chances to get out of some of the insane offensive/defensive pressure characters have.
lol...tell that to shang tsung. I have to eat pressure all day on knockdowns so i tech roll all the time mostly. Yall complaining bout ur wake ups being garbage when people still have to respect the option of u doing a wake up. People have nothing to fear against other characters like kitana, shang, stryker, and quan on wake up cause they can be stopped or baited so easily. Just my 2 cents

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
lol...tell that to shang tsung. I have to eat pressure all day on knockdowns so i tech roll all the time mostly. Yall complaining bout ur wake ups being garbage when people still have to respect the option of u doing a wake up. People have nothing to fear against other characters like kitana, shang, stryker, and quan on wake up cause they can be stopped or baited so easily. Just my 2 cents
I get what youre saying. I understand that some characters have it worse. The title was mainly me just having a laugh about my current feelings on rain. However a ton of people dont know how to deal with rain still. I can play someone not so good and lose if they know how to deal with rain but some top players still dont know how to deal with him. However, it takes like 5 games to understand almost all of rains game. This thread is mainly to discuss his wake ups and get knowledge out more for the character.

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
I get what youre saying. I understand that some characters have it worse. The title was mainly me just having a laugh about my current feelings on rain. However a ton of people dont know how to deal with rain still. I can play someone not so good and lose if they know how to deal with rain but some top players still dont know how to deal with him. However, it takes like 5 games to understand almost all of rains game. This thread is mainly to discuss his wake ups and get knowledge out more for the character.
i understand. The reason why people dont know about the character cause hardly anyone plays him at tourneys or hardly anyone plays him at all. I have played @Mothmonstermano and EMP Scar so i know what he is capable of and what his weaknesses are. Good luck bring him to light.

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
IMO Rain's wake ups are fine. are they pressure stoping get out of jail free cards? no. They do what they need to do though. I normal just roll, or don't wake up with anything because Rain doesn't really have a problem dealing with pressure since he's covered in armor. water gun is he best wake up IMO. yes you can duck it, and it's -12 on block meaning if you have a special or normal with the speed and the range you can punish it. if you knock Rain down and walk up and duck though you risk the chance of eating 4RH or another higher damaging combo. Rain's wake ups are fine.

YOMI Reno_Racks

I have a dream...
IMO Rain's wake ups are fine. are they pressure stoping get out of jail free cards? no. They do what they need to do though. I normal just roll, or don't wake up with anything because Rain doesn't really have a problem dealing with pressure since he's covered in armor. water gun is he best wake up IMO. yes you can duck it, and it's -12 on block meaning if you have a special or normal with the speed and the range you can punish it. if you knock Rain down and walk up and duck though you risk the chance of eating 4RH or another higher damaging combo. Rain's wake ups are fine.
I'm with you but water gun is -2 on block so it's completely safe.

a_guardian_devil

"We share blood, we are not brothers!"
I'm with you but water gun is -2 on block so it's completely safe.
yup totally safe, and lets be honest here its the fear of those 40% combos that gets u everytime u knock down rain and wanna keep up ur momentum, RH makes u think twice thats what i love about rain and i could be punished for it if i didnt time right but where is the fun in doing a safe EX wakeup (scorpion-reptile) everytime i get knocked down. i need that sense of danger i guess :p

Its not a wakeup attack. It can work sometimes where you get standing in time and get the special out, but for the most part you will get hit before it can come out.
lbsh armor cancel on wakeup is very viable especially if u know ur opponent is in the habit of trying to bait ur move, going into armor cancels leaves u with a ton of options