What's new

Strategy Rain's Wake-up Game Discussion

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Alright now im gonna talk some more about rains wake ups in general and how absolutely shitty they are.

Ill start with as good as it getsand go from there
EX-lighning (The ParchedTwo Special) -This is by far rains most useful wakeup (shoutouts to parchedtwo this is the only good thing about your rain). This move can catch people off guard but after that it is pretty predictable and even punishable by jump. It grants a combo but misses a lot. Its not full invincible being 24 frames (4 frame vulnerability). It is safe on block and does some good chip.

Ex-Water gun- one of rains Rains only 2 completely invincible wake up attacks. Does a little over 10% and has mediocre range. It is duckable (likely for full combo) and can be jumped over for full combo. Overall i wouldnt use this except to end a match.

Ex-tele-Good luck getting this to come out/actually hit them

Ex-geyser kick- Rains second fully invincible wake-up. It is -11 on block which if AA punishable by fast jabs and some uppercuts. It hits as a two hit attack where much of the time the second hit misses and makes it only do 8%. Only do this when expecting a crossover on your wakeup and want to end the game/round.

Regular geyser-probably rains most useable wakeup in most situations. Easily baitable and AA punished by characters with fast jabs. Stops crossover attempts but can get inputs reversed and have bubble come out (aka youre screwed). Vulnerable and can be beat but its either try this or eat more pressure.

You can try waking up with regular lightning (full combo punishable), Tele (good luck with that), or regular watergun (are you insane) if you want but id advise against it in most situations.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Can you just wakeup with EN Roundhouse or EN Roundhouse Dash Cancel?
Its not a wakeup attack. It can work sometimes where you get standing in time and get the special out, but for the most part you will get hit before it can come out.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
2nd Frame but while you are standing up you are vulnerable. I think it takes around 30 frames to stand up and you cant do a special during that time.
That doesn't sound right at all. Reptile Elbow Dash is also not a wakeup, but I still use it as a gimmicky one depending on the situation, and I know that there isn't 36 frames to knock me out of it.

Also I've never been hit by anything while using wakeup EN Roundhouse.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Bubbles not a wakeup though, so good luck!
Damn i actually had texted Brownie about this to see if it was for sure. Im at school at not at home so i didnt even have a way to check. Probly should have waited til i could but im bored at school and i honestly couldnt remember cause ive never actually tried it. Ill just remove that section and this can me a discussion about his wake ups ion general. My bad guys.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Seriously EN Roundhouse on wakeup is like a Flash Parry or if you let go it's like a Sonya EN Cartwheel that's really good.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
That doesn't sound right at all. Reptile Elbow Dash is also not a wakeup, but I still use it as a gimmicky one depending on the situation, and I know that there isn't 36 frames to knock me out of it.

While you stand up you still have some invincibility just standing up. Somberness probly knows wayyyyy more about this than i do. Reptile dash is a 6 frame attack while RH at its quickest is 30. The armor becomes active on the second frame so it could work. Ill have to play around with it some to really know what youre talking about. I have used RH after standing up but not a lot.

High Plains Drifter

Rain is my main and pain is my game!
Does anyone know exactly how many frames of armor the En-RH has? My guess is somewhere between 30 and 50 but I would love to know the exact number.

Brownie

Stay Wet <3

You can input Reptiles dash as a wake up but it won't have invincibility. Rain can not input round house while he's on the floor and if you do you'll probably get hit if the opponent is trying to pressure you in anyway. Rains wake ups are really bad...

EGP Wonder_Chef

You can input Reptiles dash as a wake up but it won't have invincibility. Rain can not input round house while he's on the floor and if you do you'll probably get hit if the opponent is trying to pressure you in anyway. Rains wake ups are really bad...
But EN Roundhouse has armor

YOMI Reno_Racks

I have a dream...
One of the only thing I disagree with Smarr on is Rain's wake up game. I'm a wake up attacking fool and I have a lot of success doing so. A couple weeks ago I was in Atlanta having long sets of casuals with Pig, cyusstrike, Vip3r, and JIMMY_VONVITTI that was one of my main sources of damage. Even when I told them that if I feel that they are going to pressure me I'm definitely going to wake up attack and they should probably try to bait them out, they still pressured me and paid for it.

Water gun- Yep, regular ole water gun. Safe on block and I use it to punish opponents trying to pressure me straight on and from cross-ups. I use it mainly when I don't have meter and I need to wakeup with something safe that will stop deep jump kicks, block strings, cross-ups and projectiles(within range) . Even though his Kenshi still whooped my ass relentlessly Pig Of The Hut was very impressed with the effectiveness of this particular wake up attack and can vouch for it's usefulness.

Exlightning- IMO one of the best wake up moves in the game. Will stop pressure of nearly every kind from crossups to full screen zoning with 24% to 40% combos and is safe on block, what more do you you want. I advise mastering the timing and reverse inputs to make the most out of this wake up attack As Smarrgasm stated it can become predictable and baited if overused but that doesn't make it less awesome, just means you need to avoid becoming predictable(fighting games 101)

Geyser kick- Meterless punish of crossups with a 37% combo, not too shabby. You have to make sure the opponent is in mid cross-up in order to land it so you can combo. If they are already on their way down I reverse input water gun.

Lightning- Great for meter less punish of projectiles with 24%-39% combo. Due to it being -23 on block I only bust it out if the opponent is pressuring from 3/4 screen or further.

Extele- Admittedly hard to master but crucial for getting out of corner pressure that requires you to do a wake up attack that escapes the corner. While at MLG Dallas I roomed with Madzin and was forced to get in the lab and learn this in order to get out of his corner traps. The timing of the inputs are tricky but once mastered you can confidently use it to get out tough wakeup corner situations.

If your wake up patterns become predictable then of course your opponents will make reads and punish but when rating a character's wake up game it's safe to say predictability is a player problem, not a character problem. Rain has safe (and unsafe) wake-up options that can cause huge damage from nearly every situation. I can say in my on and offline experience against high level players many of which know my habits, Rain's wake ups work very well for me and are very consistent.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
My main problem with his wakeups is that all of them can be blown up in some way. With regular water gun its not completely invincible and it can be ducked just like Ex-watergun. I love to spam his wakeups at times too cause some next good damage and are hard to deal with if you dont know how to blow it up. Ill try to play more casuals with you next time we play and see how well i do against your rain with some other characters.

Somberness

Lights
I just wanna know how well it works seeing as its not a wakeup attack. Somberness can you shine any light on what chef might be talking about?
You can use specials as you are getting up and have them not be a wake up attack. But if they aren't a wake up attack or you are late, you don't get the invincibility. Despite not being a wake up attack, I think roundhouse can still be effective on the ground. Not 100% effective, but close enough.

YOMI Reno_Racks

I have a dream...
My main problem with his wakeups is that all of them can be blown up in some way. With regular water gun its not completely invincible and it can be ducked just like Ex-watergun. I love to spam his wakeups at times too cause some next good damage and are hard to deal with if you dont know how to blow it up. Ill try to play more casuals with you next time we play and see how well i do against your rain with some other characters.
We'll be able to play really soon cause I'm moving back to Atlanta this weekend pimp! We're gonna level up the shit out of Rain. I'm hittin the road sunday and will be trying to knock out the 2500 miles in 3 days.

I feel you but most wakeup attacks in the game can be blown up one way or another as well. Wether you bait one out that's unsafe on block and punish or nip or whiff punish or duck and punish or wait till the last sec and jump over or stuff it with a block string or certain normal ect., there's almost always some kind of counter if you read your opponents wake up attack. Reading and countering is the nature of the all strategy games. Yomi layers n shit. I just don't mindlessly spam wakeup attacks(anymore,lol). I'll wait till I see the opponent commit to some kind of attack that leaves them vulnerable and input the the corresponding wake up attack at the last moment. Essentially, I do them on reaction.

BTW, the forum is coming alive again and I couldn't be more stoked. Mad props to you Smarr and Mr Aquaman and Mothmonsterman0 for posting good stuff that is getting players talking and interested. I've been preparing for this cross-country move for the last month so I haven't been able to contribute but that should be changing very soon.

Espio

Kokomo
We'll be able to play really soon cause I'm moving back to Atlanta this weekend pimp! We're gonna level up the shit out of Rain. I'm hittin the road sunday and will be trying to knock out the 2500 miles in 3 days.

I feel you but most wakeup attacks in the game can be blown up one way or another as well. Wether you bait one out that's unsafe on block and punish or nip or whiff punish or duck and punish or wait till the last sec and jump over or stuff it with a block string or certain normal ect., there's almost always some kind of counter if you read your opponents wake up attack. Reading and countering is the nature of the all strategy games. Yomi layers n shit. I just don't mindlessly spam wakeup attacks(anymore,lol). I'll wait till I see the opponent commit to some kind of attack that leaves them vulnerable and input the the corresponding wake up attack at the last moment. Essentially, I do them on reaction.

BTW, the forum is coming alive again and I couldn't be more stoked. Mad props to you Smarr and Mr Aquaman and Mothmonsterman0 for posting good stuff that is getting players talking and interested. I've been preparing for this cross-country move for the last month so I haven't been able to contribute but that should be changing very soon.

Oh my god, I love your approach and style, I was actually going to say the exact same thing in relation to wake ups, every wake up can be blown up with good reads, spacing, etc. It's up to the player to mix it up well enough to not get consistently baited and punished.

I also have to say your dedication to Rain is inspiring, I respect that a lot.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
You are just talking about how bad it could be, but not how good it can be. If the opponent is trying to cross over you in corner (god knows this happens often), the normal geyser wakeup will allow you to full combo him.
Ex-RHc can punish anything.
Ex-geyser, ex-tp is great against someone rushing you as hell. Normal geyser makes JiP impossible.
Normal tp can be good aswell, just situational.
Yes those can be punished etc.. same for all char btw and it's not because it is punishable that sucks. Why ? Because it allows you to have a better read on your opponent when you wakeup because he won't have as much options as he can get vs Shang for example.

Just play Skarlet, Quanchi or Shang, You will know what "poo wakups" means ^^

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Water gun- Yep, regular ole water gun. Safe on block and I use it to punish opponents trying to pressure me straight on and from cross-ups. I use it mainly when I don't have meter and I need to wakeup with something safe that will stop deep jump kicks, block strings, cross-ups and projectiles(within range) . Even though his Kenshi still whooped my ass relentlessly Pig Of The Hut was very impressed with the effectiveness of this particular wake up attack and can vouch for it's usefulness.
This, fucking this. I'm glad I wasn't the only one using this.