What's new

Rain general discussion

Zviko

Noob
Quantum Rift does surprisingly well at baiting unsafe stuff like Mileena tps, ball rolls, Shang slides etc.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Scaling on super roundhouse kick is too much, as it has been said before. Only quirk I have with this character so far, cuz Im just not feeling hydroboost, its weird comboing into it
Exactly. That's why I mentioned it should just be a meterless launcher. It's a waste of meter for a move that's acting as a meterless launcher for a bar. Just make it meterless for 7% that launches.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
You can do 27 damage from any string from Roundhouse kick. I don't think this is bad damage
Well, it is certainly not bad. But it is nothing to write home about when you can do 40% or something with 1 bar hydroboost (in the corner, but still). Making it into 33% from any string into roundhouse kick would be perfect for me.

Zviko

Noob
Yes but i really don't like using hydroboost because it takes away the Rain feel from him. I know this is a weird reason but i feel like i want to see the moves i like and know
It's not a weird reason at all. In fact this is the exact reason I love and play MK. Nostalgia.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
Rift doesn't have to be between you and opponent. What I had in mind was casting it but they don't throw anything until you dash in and then duck their projectile which would hit the rift. It does matter for setting up the KB but I already tested it and it doesn't work off screen.
Ahh ok. I wasn't thinking about something like this, moving past the rift to bait your opponent into loading the KB. It's clever. It's already a fairly easy KB to load up, but this might help against a particularly cautious opponent.
I believe it only extends the duration. I wish it was more than that though. Like absorbing 2 projectiles.
Yeah, that's the main benefit: active for four seconds vs two. EX rift also recovers slightly faster, which might help in a real clutch situation, but isn't likely to matter very often.

You'd think for the limited benefit you get, at least the meter spent on EX rift would come back faster, but if anything it regens slower than average. Meh.

I haven't played rain yet because he really doesn't interest me. But I played against one last night that was moving around like a crackhead! What's up with that?

Agilaz

It has begun
I haven't played rain yet because he really doesn't interest me. But I played against one last night that was moving around like a crackhead! What's up with that?
Movement is his strong point, he can't just go in and press buttons cause he's minus on literally everything. He has to dash in and out and get you to press at the wrong time

Movement is his strong point, he can't just go in and press buttons cause he's minus on literally everything. He has to dash in and out and get you to press at the wrong time
I was too scared to push a button, lol. So he probably got away with murder. And of course he felt the need to teabag me too. That didn't help.

Agilaz

It has begun
I was too scared to push a button, lol. So he probably got away with murder. And of course he felt the need to teabag me too. That didn't help.
Well he's minus, but usually safe. Commonly he'll be anywhere from -3 to -8 on block, save for his F2,1+3 which is minus double digits and his 242 which is -9 but super easy to punish, but you'll rare see it in neutral because of the weirdness with its cancel properties

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
I also think that the restand is very good. its only +4 but the fact that Rain has such a good jump kick and good mind games from his strings when you also equip tidal wave or the back dash move to bait the enemy. Then it is really good playing restand.
Yep, I agree. It's definitely a move worth considering. Two other nice benefits I forgot to mention before:

1. If you have your opponent in the corner, riptide will connect off 133 for a close-range restand (it whiffs if you try this mid-screen). So if you don't have meter or your normal combo would throw them out of the corner, it's a good way to make use of Rain's highest-damage hit confirm string and keep up the corner pressure.

2. Rain has several buttons that can't be hit confirmed into combos, but are good for getting in and scoring long knockdowns: b14, f3, f4. They all create enough distance and hit adv for riptide to be a good oki option. It will catch someone trying to jump-in or use wakeup buttons, and has so many active frames that forward rolls will stand up right into it. It won't catch back rolls or neutral jumps, but at that range they aren't a threat to you. The biggest risk (again) is wakeup neutral duck, so mixing with tidal wave on oki helps with that.

Agilaz

It has begun
Not sure how practical it is, but if you read a jump, you can do air straight slice, to amp air down slice, and then if you have the KB loaded you can amp again to get the KB, then you could do something like dash f2, 1+3 for like 30 smth %. Very hand to have vs jade players

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
This is helpful, thanks for sharing. Can always count on Burrito for the great tech.

Random shallow aside, but I love how the color of Rain's lightning changes to match the skin you're using. Just a cool extra customizable aesthetic. I've been using this exact same skin for my purple pain variation because the red lightning looks so sick.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Played Fullauto yesterday and rift kinda shuts down Sindel
What custom variation did you use?

The most difficult match that I have fought thus far is Shang Tsung (ground eruption, regular corpse drop, and shake). Ground eruption and regular corpse drop control the ground as well as the air so Rain's movement becomes limited, and you cannot use the katar toss because of the shake. Corpse drop also ignores the quantum rift. I am thinking about dropping the quantum slice in this match in order to have access to the Argus plunge, which could be useful as a preemptive punishing tool against corpse drop and shake. Any suggestions are welcome.

Cassie (aerial projectile) and Baraka (equipped with spikes) can also be difficult to fight, but they seem much easier than Shang Tsung. They do not have shake and projectiles that ignore quantum rift.

By the way, hitting opponents with krushing blow f+2,1+3 xx fatal blow and stealing the round is arguably more satisfying than forward and back dashing with Rain.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
What custom variation did you use?

The most difficult match that I have fought thus far is Shang Tsung (ground eruption, regular corpse drop, and shake). Ground eruption and regular corpse drop control the ground as well as the air so Rain's movement becomes limited, and you cannot use the katar toss because of the shake. Corpse drop also ignores the quantum rift. I am thinking about dropping the quantum slice in this match in order to have access to the Argus plunge, which could be useful as a preemptive punishing tool against corpse drop and shake. Any suggestions are welcome.

Cassie (aerial projectile) and Baraka (equipped with spikes) can also be difficult to fight, but they seem much easier than Shang Tsung. They do not have shake and projectiles that ignore quantum rift.

By the way, hitting opponents with krushing blow f+2,1+3 xx fatal blow and stealing the round is arguably more satisfying than forward and back dashing with Rain.
messed around with Hydroboost which replaces SuperKick, Hydroplane so I could hit confirm F2 and other normals, and finally rift so he could not zone me.

I agree so far that Shang seems rough. You are forced to get into Eruption range and your flawless blocks must be on point so you can dash up and punish with F2 but the timing is very tight.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Robocop looking real bad for Rain. Grenade ignores rift, gunshot KB, etc.

All he needs is one grab once im in to repeat.