What's new

General/Other - Raiden Raiden Character Variations Discussion

Varion

Noob
So transitioning from Jin to Raiden's a Thunder God, what should I be worried about? What's his weaknesses?

Does he have good mid screen combos like jin?

mrtom

Noob
So transitioning from Jin to Raiden's a Thunder God, what should I be worried about? What's his weaknesses?

Does he have good mid screen combos like jin?
For me, his biggest weakness is getting in your face rushdown players off you without meter. He's also lacking a bit in the low poke area and his overheads are a little slow but to be honest, he'd be way to strong if he had faster lows/overheads.

He's got some good midscreen combos that can do good damage and/or good corner carry.

mrtom

Noob
Agreed with that 100%. Master of Storms was designed for mind games imo. Another cool trick I found out today (by accident, mind you) was that you can use Orbs to catch teleporters. Just do a Back Orb dash forward a bit and do one more Back orb and now you suddenly have protection behind you from back teleporters. I caught a Takeda player in one of those today. It felt pretty darn good, I have to say.
The other thing I noticed is that using MoS really improved my TG game. Since you don't have the lighting strings, you're forced to rely on you're other tools and also helps develop your spacing, both of which will carry over into TG.

I know TG is crazy strong and still my favorite but I would suggest everyone play around with MoS just to improve your overall game.

Varion

Noob
So what's the best starts to beat other rushers off you? I have no problem against raidens (at least yet) with my Jin.

mrtom

Noob
So what's the best starts to beat other rushers off you? I have no problem against raidens (at least yet) with my Jin.
Depends on the situation but if they're in your face constantly pressing button you've got plenty of armored moves to get them off and can convert into big damage, but it's much trickier without meter. If you block something that's -5 or more you can go for f1,2,b2 and -7 or more 1 or b1 into whatever.

You can catch advancing opponents with f2,3+4 and b3,2 from pretty damn far. I'd suggest you go into the lab and get comfortable with his normals and combos then just start playing matches. These forums are great but experience is still the best and only way to really learn.

Jin is a strong character but if I had to compare the two I'd say Raiden is more versatile. Both can deal heavy damage but raiden has better mixups. I don't play Jin so I could be totally wrong. I'm just basing this opinion off the many Jin's I've played so far.

Last edited:

Varion

Noob
Depends on the situation but if they're in your face constantly pressing button you've got plenty of armored moves to get them off and can convert into big damage, but it's much trickier without meter. If you block something that's -5 or more you can go for f1,2,b2 and -7 or more 1 or b1 into whatever.

You can catch advancing opponents with f2,3+4 and b3,2 from pretty damn far. I'd suggest you go into the lab and get comfortable with his normals and combos then just start playing matches. These forums are great but experience is still the best and only way to really learn.

Jin is a strong character but if I had to compare the two I'd say Raiden is more versatile. Both can deal heavy damage but raiden has better mixups. I don't play Jin so I could be totally wrong. I'm just basing this opinion off the many Jin's I've played so far.
Thanks a lot for this post. Really pumped me up to learn him. wheres the best spot to look for his optimal bnbs?

So I just noticed in TG f1,2 is -3 on block now. It was listed at -5. Was this a buff or just frame data correction? F1, is also listed at 6 frames instead of 5

Edit: there are actually a lot of frame changes

Last edited:

Jb879212

40 Percent Punish
There's no like living guide to update with best/most optimal ones? That looks like a lotttttt of combos to weed through lol
You could also take a look at
Its a youtube video featuring pro gamer and mk elitist Tony-T executing all of raiden's most rewarding combos with every variation. It's a great video for all aspiring raidens as well as for competitive players who doubt the viability of the other variations. Hope I helped

For rushdown thunder god is probably the way to go. I love the love lightning pressure strings it provides.

His fastest poke would be f1 as it's 5 frame startup but it's a high so careful on crouchers. My favorite punish string would be 324 canceled into ex shocker then juggle into whatever you wish. b33 is a decent low poke that you can cancel to get good damage. b3,2(hold) is good on wakeup since it can stop armor reversals. It's also a good midrange poke and will catch jump-ins but you need to learn it's optimal spacing. 1122 is probably the most used string and there is another thread dedicated to it so I won't go into much detail here.
F1 = mid

Varion

Noob
You could also take a look at
Its a youtube video featuring pro gamer and mk elitist Tony-T executing all of raiden's most rewarding combos with every variation. It's a great video for all aspiring raidens as well as for competitive players who doubt the viability of the other variations. Hope I helped
Those are INSANE!
really good stuff

Are these viable/possible online you think? With a little lag

SirRaven

Teleport tickle fail
Those are INSANE!
really good stuff

Are these viable/possible online you think? With a little lag
To be quite honest, in online's current form, I struggle immensely with any type of move cancel, run cancel, recovery cancel linking moves. Even the tighter windowed strings that don't require cancels can be frustrating to pull off online.

I've come to the conclusion that I'll stick to my typical 1 bar 46% corner combo and 1 bar 36% midscreen because they are dependable regardless of lag.

Varion

Noob
To be quite honest, in online's current form, I struggle immensely with any type of move cancel, run cancel, recovery cancel linking moves. Even the tighter windowed strings that don't require cancels can be frustrating to pull off online.

I've come to the conclusion that I'll stick to my typical 1 bar 46% corner combo and 1 bar 36% midscreen because they are dependable regardless of lag.
That's good enough though, usually. My Jin combos are all reliable online, but they look the same, and require no run canceling so it is what it is.

ili6741

Noob
Against some characters F1 and B1 are basically highs, along with F2.

After having had some trouble vs GM Sub-zero I wen into the lab (PC), and found out that sub-zero D4 will low profile all mids (and of course highs) we have in close range except for B2 and D1. F2 (our longest range whiff punishing combo starter except for shocker) doesn't work against him since it will whiff over d4 and never hit him. Can't really poke with d3 or d4 neither due to range/startup/losing vs clone.

Even on a d1 hit (+11) he can still interrupt you trying to check him with f2 (14 frames) with his d4 due to it low profiling so early. D1 hit > f1 will work however (obviously) in this scenario, if you are close enough.

With Thunder God the D3 and F12B2 strings work well though since they a) don't move you forward a lot during the electricity part and b) are safe vs him. Not moving forward is key here since it will allow you to snipe him behind the clone. BF3 is also really good in this matchup (normal and ex).

BlackJackSnack

Bags of mostly water
What's his best thing to use as a wake up in Thunder God? Any armored?
He has a lot of armored wakeups (df2 , bf3, db2) I suggest df2 bc it moves him closer to the opponent, and it combos.

db2 does seem to have a crazy hitbox so it's worth using if the opponent has low health and you want the game/round to end

Mutton

Noob
What's his best thing to use as a wake up in Thunder God? Any armored?
df2 and db2 are probably your best bets. The first one seems to have the most armor on it and leads to a full combo, while the latter is also well armored and safe on block. However, db2 does whiff against crouching opponents as it hits high, so be careful. Using bf3 or db3 just doesn't seem to be quite as useful unless you think they'd be out of range for the first two

So I was experimenting with Armor breaking on the thunder god variation in the corner.

I saw someone post about how they break armor, but I couldn't get any real set ups w/o getting blown up by wake-up attacks because B3,2(hold) comes out the fastest with multi-hit. But i'd often get stuffed before the 2 even comes out.

But I found one pretty good string to catch people who spam wakeup or EX wakeup with armor in the corner.

If I connect with F1,2,B2 I'll hit confirm that into the following string.

F1,2,B2 > F2, 2+4 > F1,2,B2 > 1,1, 2(hold), 2(hold). (21% I know not much)

they'll fall out of this baby combo after 1,1 and be able to do stuff just as your 2(hold) comes out at the end. If you hit 2 again you can keep going. They can do delay wake up, and hit you between both 2's.

however if you expect that, you can just tap 1,1. and don't finish with 2, and just meaty them.

the 2(hold) is just a option to catch immediate armor wakeups.

Have not tested it against every move. But this is has proven to be pretty helpful to me so far.

anyone else have set ups where you're ending the combo with the (2 hold) part of your strings just as they hit the ground?

mrtom

Noob
So I was experimenting with Armor breaking on the thunder god variation in the corner.

I saw someone post about how they break armor, but I couldn't get any real set ups w/o getting blown up by wake-up attacks because B3,2(hold) comes out the fastest with multi-hit. But i'd often get stuffed before the 2 even comes out.

But I found one pretty good string to catch people who spam wakeup or EX wakeup with armor in the corner.

If I connect with F1,2,B2 I'll hit confirm that into the following string.

F1,2,B2 > F2, 2+4 > F1,2,B2 > 1,1, 2(hold), 2(hold). (21% I know not much)

they'll fall out of this baby combo after 1,1 and be able to do stuff just as your 2(hold) comes out at the end. If you hit 2 again you can keep going. They can do delay wake up, and hit you between both 2's.

however if you expect that, you can just tap 1,1. and don't finish with 2, and just meaty them.

the 2(hold) is just a option to catch immediate armor wakeups.

Have not tested it against every move. But this is has proven to be pretty helpful to me so far.

b3,2 definitely works but not on all reversals, at least I don't think it works on them all. If you land a normal shocker in the corner do b3,2 hold immediately after the shocker, it beats a lot of them.

anyone else have set ups where you're ending the combo with the (2 hold) part of your strings just as they hit the ground?

I personally like Displacer. F1,4 is a 6 frame mid into low that knocks down. Any time I have some advantage and I think they will freeze up, I teleport behind and throw.

If they're reeling after being hit by Raiden's projectile, teleport behind and throw. In the end, I think everyone will realize Displacer is the most effective variation for Raiden.