What's new

Rage Quitting

Gito666

Ninjas > Special Forces
Rage quitting in mk9 used to INFURIATE me, but i learned to accept it and take it as a compliment, as others have stated.

With that said, if you're gonna quit, fine. But DON'T WASTE MY TIME. Idiot kids with nothing better to do may think it's funny to troll at the select screen, but many people playing are adults with jobs and responsibilities. Time is valuable... DON'T WASTE MINE :mad:

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Does mk10 differ alot from the other mortal kombats?
MK games are fairly different. Anyway, we don't know much about MKX yet, but we can assume that a lot of things will translate from MK9 and IGAU rather smoothly.

For me mk9 just seems way too complicated and weird. Completely different from injustice and unfamiliar
MK9 is probably the most accessible 2D fighting game out there, same goes for IGAU, although the latter has some more mech to keep in mind and some weird inputs here and there. I'd say that MKX won't suddenly get considerable entry barrier.

ArsonX

Noob
I have never rage quit even once. There, now you know at least 1 person :)
(Unless the connection is so bad that neither of us are having fun, I will quit then. But again, the only reason is that the match is literally un-playable)
Well,if its TOO laggy at the select screen i sometimes choose good old DS

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
The reason unplugging won't result in a loss, is because the game has to assume it is a genuine connection problem, not the fault of a user maliciously unplugging a cable.
Actually, it doesn't and many games count D/C as one. The logic is whether you are plugger of have constant connection issues, it's all the same to your partners and you are treated as problematic user during MM process.

Now, here we are talking about stats more than MM, but you can at least partially apply same logic here. At very least number of D/Cs may be tracked separately.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
There are numerous technological ways I can simulate a genuine connection issue. If nothing else I can switch between firewall rules as needed, choking traffic in such a way that it thinks it is a genuine connection issue.

Not every disconnect should be automatically should be treated as a loss, and as they are not there will be ways to exploit that and cheat.
This is exactly an argument for the described approach though :p
But like I said, since it's not about MM, it should probably be handled differently.

This is exactly an argument for the described approach though :p
But like I said, since it's not about MM, it should probably be handled differently.
Your approach isn't viable, as it punishes too many innocent people. The cost is too high just to stop a few cheaters.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Your approach isn't viable, as it punishes too many innocent people. The cost is too high just to stop a few cheaters.
It's not mine, it is used in some other games.
I've already explained that it doesn't exist to punish, but to isolate people who are prone to ruining online experience - it doesn't matter if it's voluntary or because of systematic connection faults, the result is absolutely the same and therefore no distinction is made.

Like I said, again, this game doesn't have separate MM pools though, heck, it probably doesn't have MM at all, so it probably doesn't apply.

It's not mine, it is used in some other games.
I've already explained that it doesn't exist to punish, but to isolate people who are prone to ruining online experience - it doesn't matter if it's voluntary or because of systematic connection faults, the result is absolutely the same and therefore no distinction is made.

Like I said, again, this game doesn't have separate MM pools though, heck, it probably doesn't have MM at all, so it probably doesn't apply.
OK.

If a game punishes someone for a genuine connection loss, it's a poorly implemented game that punishes innocent people.

There is no way to isolate people "ruining" the online experience, without also punishing innocents people, anymore than has been done with the quittality thing. Result doesn't matter, only intent does.

There is an issue that i feel i have to address. Ive never felt the need to talk about this but its getting really bad. Today i was in ranked and i came upon this guy,i know him from earilier. Solid batman player. So i almost beat him and screen freezes..rage quit. I bump into him 8 more times in ranked and each one ends with a...rage quit. A few hours later,i fought another guy who is a pretty solid DS (focuses more on zoning,knows how to zone with DS) . I beat him,rage quit. I beat him again,rage quit. But what strikes me is the manner it happened the next few times. He waited for the countdown to finish at the select screen,then purposely did nothing as i was beating him and quit just before the match ended...and he did it again. I could quit at the select screen if he does this,but im not sure if i want to do that. I think people like these need to be punished. I got nothing against someone who quits sometimes out of frustration,but i cant tolerate such pre planned pathetic quitting behaviour. What do you guys think about this? I think this is going too far,even exposing them doesnt help. Is there any way we could make the quitters stop such immature behaviour? This issue really needs to be resolved....somehow
It's not necessary to have some sort of extreme punishment online for quitting out matches. There is a myth perpetrating some communities that quitting out of a Ranked match for Injustice/PS4 might be able to protect your stats -- which is 100% false. If someone quits out of a game whether it be from a power outage (which technically isn't really quitting), hitting the guide button and going to dashboard then closing the app, quitting by power down, or officially quitting either from the title screen or while in game -- it gives the quitting player a loss ONE HUNDRED PERCENT OF THE TIME WITH NO EXCEPTION. There is not a single way in Ranked Injustice/PS4 to artificially boost your stats or win count.

So with all due respect, I think that the other player being awarded a LOSS (100% of the time) and a drop in true skill level is plenty -- because what exactly is the player doing? He is submitting the match to you by default, so he is (basically) being given a submission loss -- if you want to think of it in something similar to UFC terms.

It's also worth noting that Injustice is somewhat dwindling. It certainly has alot of people playing it still.. But it's a fact that it's been officially succeeded by Mortal Kombat X -- so it is now in the previous development cycle (by NRS). Typically with games in this bracket, they tend to have communities that lose their honor which may or may not have been present in said games prime.

On that same token... I wouldn't even call quitting out a match dishonorable, since it gives the person (who quit) a loss, and the other person a win. What's ultimately dishonorable to me is cheating. If you play fighting games for fun or to win, and people are cheating you out of both -- then you have a problem. But you're basically being given a free win -- so it's not such a big deal.

E

Eldriken

It's not necessary to have some sort of extreme punishment online for quitting out matches. There is a myth perpetrating some communities that quitting out of a Ranked match for Injustice/PS4 might be able to protect your stats -- which is 100% false. If someone quits out of a game whether it be from a power outage (which technically isn't really quitting), hitting the guide button and going to dashboard then closing the app, quitting by power down, or officially quitting either from the title screen or while in game -- it gives the quitting player a loss ONE HUNDRED PERCENT OF THE TIME WITH NO EXCEPTION. There is not a single way in Ranked Injustice/PS4 to artificially boost your stats or win count.

So with all due respect, I think that the other player being awarded a LOSS (100% of the time) and a drop in true skill level is plenty -- because what exactly is the player doing? He is submitting the match to you by default, so he is (basically) being given a submission loss -- if you want to think of it in something similar to UFC terms.

It's also worth noting that Injustice is somewhat dwindling. It certainly has alot of people playing it still.. But it's a fact that it's been officially succeeded by Mortal Kombat X -- so it is now in the previous development cycle (by NRS). Typically with games in this bracket, they tend to have communities that lose their honor which may or may not have been present in said games prime.

On that same token... I wouldn't even call quitting out a match dishonorable, since it gives the person (who quit) a loss, and the other person a win. What's ultimately dishonorable to me is cheating. If you play fighting games for fun or to win, and people are cheating you out of both -- then you have a problem. But you're basically being given a free win -- so it's not such a big deal.
I knew it was only a matter of time before you started spouting the same horseshit here that you do on GameFAQS.

inb4permanentlyignored

This is factually incorrect. If the game thinks it was a genuine connection error, it will give a disconnect which is distinct from a loss. I have fairly shitty internet at home (although getting FiOS next week, can't wait), and often I'll get a disconnect. I tested this by checking the leaderboards immediately after and my wins and losses are unchanged, but I will have an extra disconnect.

The ways to cheat are the same for any online game, which is to do a deliberate action that fools the game into thinking it was a network level issue, not a deliberate user action. There are ways to do this by quickly switching firewall rules as well as other methods.

Besides Jakey, as you yourself admit you're not one of those "techy types", so how the hell would you know what you're talking about?

Interestingly, one morning I was playing some kid who was boasting about cheating. And he was. I wasn't able to record a video of it unfortunately, but essentially I beat him every time, but just before the message came up saying who won, it would come up saying he won and then flash again saying he won. Yet, he took the win. This guy has 0 wins and losses, I beat him 3 times in a row but he went to 3 wins, so there are definitely ways to do this.
1) It's interesting because I have video footage of me quitting out (30 times in a row) on a sub account to prove the point I just made a second ago... If you have any video related footage of what you just described, however, I'd love to see it -- although it would only be validation of your point if either (yourself) or someone in another room of your house wasn't intentionally manipulating the internet.

2) There are, however, LEGITIMATE desynchronizations between each of the two players which -- as you just said -- give neither play either a win or a loss. These are virtually ALWAYS previewed since they are usually the result of latency issues and/or lag. I can feel a legitimate desync in game almost every single time it's about to do so. I supposed that a hacker could somehow FORCE a desync, but I don't particularly get into that type of behavior -- not because I'm not smart enough to simply search engine such an activity -- but because I'm not a fraud.

So your point on that issue is actually 100% false unless a hacker forced the desync, since I can prove on video that performing a quit out (repeatedly) DOES NOT trick any type of in game or network system into thinking that you've done something else besides quit out the match.

3) As far as your personal knock at me goes... I'm actually majoring in computer networking and technology, and have a spot ready for me right outside of college. Obviously such a situation is going to make a hackers tools against me somewhat obsolete.

4) I don't doubt that there are frauds, cheaters and people online who organize a conspiracy to hack leaderboards (while publicly claiming that they "don't matter"), my point is that it's exactly that -- a hack. If a person has the intention of accusing another person of having cheated or hacked their way into something, then the burden of proof is actually on the accuser himself.

E

Eldriken

1) It's interesting because I have video footage of me quitting out (30 times in a row) on a sub account to prove the point I just made a second ago... If you have any video related footage of what you just described, however, I'd love to see it -- although it would only be validation of your point if either (yourself) or someone in another room of your house wasn't intentionally manipulating the internet.

2) There are, however, LEGITIMATE desynchronizations between each of the two players which -- as you just said -- give neither play either a win or a loss. These are virtually ALWAYS previewed since they are usually the result of latency issues and/or lag. I can feel a legitimate desync in game almost every single time it's about to do so. I supposed that a hacker could somehow FORCE a desync, but I don't particularly get into that type of behavior -- not because I'm not smart enough to simply search engine such an activity -- but because I'm not a fraud.

So your point on that issue is actually 100% false unless a hacker forced the desync, since I can prove on video that performing a quit out (repeatedly) DOES NOT trick any type of in game or network system into thinking that you've done something else besides quit out the match.

3) As far as your personal knock at me goes... I'm actually majoring in computer networking and technology, and have a spot ready for me right outside of college. Obviously such a situation is going to make a hackers tools against me somewhat obsolete.

4) I don't doubt that there are frauds, cheaters and people online who organize a conspiracy to hack leaderboards (while publicly claiming that they "don't matter"), my point is that it's exactly that -- a hack. If a person has the intention of accusing another person of having cheated or hacked their way into something, then the burden of proof is actually on the accuser himself.
...but you are a fraud and you're unwilling to prove otherwise. Telling someone to meet you in ranked for a more stable environment is just a way to avoid getting blown up.

...but you are a fraud and you're unwilling to prove otherwise. Telling someone to meet you in ranked for a more stable environment is just a way to avoid getting blown up.
Have fun with all that...

If you'd like to try and challenge what I just said (which is on topic), then I'm all ears.

Fallen_sektor

I will show no mercy
I wouldn't even call quitting out a match dishonorable, since it gives the person (who quit) a loss, and the other person a win. What's ultimately dishonorable to me is cheating. If you play fighting games for fun or to win, and people are cheating you out of both -- then you have a problem

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Sigh. I'd insult your intelligence here, but don't want to be penalized for doing so.

Yes, if you quit 30 times in a row, you're going to take a loss 30 times in a row. What about that has ANYTHING to do with what I wrote above?

Yes, and as I said there are ways to simulate this, and hence cheat.

So you have some sort of spiritual connection to the game? Good for you buddy, good for you. Just curious, but if you are that connected to the game, why are you too scared to play any other character than Deathstroke?

Actually, that's not true. You are a complete fraud, and the only reason you don't cheat is because you're not smart enough.

Well, genius, my entire point above was that it is possible to trick the game into giving a disconnect.

Someone deserves a reading comprehension trophy. I'll make sure it's padded so you can take it safely on the shortbus.

Yes, as above, quitting several times in a row will result in that same number of losses. Very nice detective work!

You're a goddamn liar.

This image from your Facebook posted less than 2 weeks ago shows that you are studing health Sciences.

What's more, you have said over on Gamefaqs that you are "not one of those techy types". You don't even have enough knowledge to protect your identity online, which is why your full address, phone number and voting record are all publicly available.

However, I actually DO have a masters degree in computer science, so lets talk shop. How does the game tell the difference between a disconnect and an intentional quit, and how can you simulate the former?

No one hacked the PS4 leaderboard. The reason you are ranked number 62 and not number 1 is purely because of a glitch.

If you had the knowledge you claimed to have, you would know this and would not have embarrassed yourself by reporting the 'incident' to the FBI.

You're a goddamn joke.
i dont have any respect for this guy either, hell i dont hate him either i just dont really care but you are going full stalker bro with that fb picture, although your other arguments are in fact valid

i dont have any respect for this guy either, hell i dont hate him either i just dont really care but you are going full stalker bro with that fb picture, although your other arguments are in fact valid
I have ZERO respect for you too.. Trying to rally an internet gaming community behind your first post towards me pretty much ended any shred that I might have had anyways. A true adult wouldn't come into a thread where I casually give my opinion about quitting out and threaten me while pretending an entire community has his back. You're actually supported by about 2 people right now, bud.

But yes, the dude actually is a stalker.

MrProfDrPepper

I have ZERO respect for you too..

:)

But yes, the dude actually is a stalker.
understandable, you dont know me or have seen me play but you are have not been making a good case for yourself acting like hot shit in a place where no one sees through your bullshit. sorry dude. if you are going to keep acting like this go back to gamefaq, there they might not see through it.

understandable, you dont know me or have seen me play but you are have not been making a good case for yourself acting like hot shit in a place where no one sees through your bullshit. sorry dude. if you are going to keep acting like this go back to gamefaq, there they might not see through it.
Hey bro... I actually just got this REALLY, really spectacular idea. Instead of me taking your BAIT designed to get me banned from this website -- since you inherently feel threatened by my competitive potential -- why don't I just completely ignore you and never speak to you again...? Sound good?

MrProfDrPepper

Hey bro... I actually just got this REALLY, really spectacular idea. Instead of me taking your BAIT designed to get me banned from this website -- since you inherently feel threatened by my competitive potential -- why don't I just completely ignore you and never speak to you again...? Sound good?
lol what? I am not baiting you to get banned, and your competitive potential isnt too great but it could be there if you worked at it lol. i have literally tried to be respectful and try and inform you of the situation you are in so that you have a chance in the community, instead you were a complete douche back. i have not been rude or baiting in the slightest, i am merely trying to help, whatever i guess

It simply means they want to move on to the next match and you are too good for them.
It can mean a wide number of things, and that's one of them... Sometimes I'll be on a 10 win streak against a (low tier) opponent, but he happens to have a laggy connection. If I run into him an 11th time, I will simply quit it out.

I've actually quit out dozens of matches after practically double flawlessing someone, and they will just land a panick super at the end and I'll just quit because I don't feel like watching it (or I badly have to take a leak).

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
It can mean a wide number of things, and that's one of them... Sometimes I'll be on a 10 win streak against a (low tier) opponent, but he happens to have a laggy connection. If I run into him an 11th time, I will simply quit it out.

I've actually quit out dozens of matches after practically double flawlessing someone, and they will just land a panick super at the end and I'll just quit because I don't feel like watching it (or I badly have to take a leak).
I really didn't need to be quoted to read your excuses dude.