What's new

R-E-S-P-E-C-T: The Kitana Match-up Thread

xTHUGx

Noob
Had some trouble against a decent Mileena player the other day. And I noticed he would throw sais then do the kick from above move, I didn't know how to punish it. But I managed to punish Mileena's roll with 4,fan,4,lift....Bnb... Any suggestions/tips?

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Had some trouble against a decent Mileena player the other day. And I noticed he would throw sais then do the kick from above move, I didn't know how to punish it. But I managed to punish Mileena's roll with 4,fan,4,lift....Bnb... Any suggestions/tips?
Mileena players are VERY twitchy to counter your fans with a roll... so a small amount of "juking" can get them to do a roll or telekick prematurely.

Punishing Mileena is tricky. You are in a long blockstun after blocking a telekick, and the air sai that will most likely come after they try it can mess up your punish timing. You MUST punish her before she lands on both her roll and telekick. Just make sure that you block the telekick standing up because if you block it low, she does telekick~air sai and lands before you can punish her. Her EX telekick causes less block stun so you can punish her much easier with 4~fan, 4~fan lift.

If you get hit with a telekick, make sure you block because she gets a free safe jump.

xTHUGx

Noob
Mileena players are VERY twitchy to counter your fans with a roll... so a small amount of "juking" can get them to do a roll or telekick prematurely.

Punishing Mileena is tricky. You are in a long blockstun after blocking a telekick, and the air sai that will most likely come after they try it can mess up your punish timing. You MUST punish her before she lands on both her roll and telekick. Just make sure that you block the telekick standing up because if you block it low, she does telekick~air sai and lands before you can punish her. Her EX telekick causes less block stun so you can punish her much easier with 4~fan, 4~fan lift.

If you get hit with a telekick, make sure you block because she gets a free safe jump.
So you're saying I can punish Mileena's roll and telekick both with 4,fan,4,lift? Just making sure cause the block stun after the telekick makes the timing strict.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
So you're saying I can punish Mileena's roll and telekick both with 4,fan,4,lift? Just making sure cause the block stun after the telekick makes the timing strict.
After blocking the telekick, I would just go with 2~fan, then either 2 or 4 into fan lift. The roll, however, you should be able to punish with 4~fan easily.

xTHUGx

Noob
Anyone got any experience against a decent/good Sektor? He pretty much locks me down from jumping because If I do he'll teleport punch. Of course I can stand block and punish it easily but I want to know if this can be avoided and what are the best things to do against a sektor other than try baiting his teleport punch.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Anyone got any experience against a decent/good Sektor? He pretty much locks me down from jumping because If I do he'll teleport punch. Of course I can stand block and punish it easily but I want to know if this can be avoided and what are the best things to do against a sektor other than try baiting his teleport punch.
Like when fighting against ANY character that has moves that counter your air fans, get closer to them so that they can't react fast enough. Get some fans on the screen, punish flame with EX Fan into BnB, avoid missiles (punish if close enough). When he does a heat seeker missile, backdash and try to get as far away as you can and block. This will keep him off of you and not allow him to get in for free with meter.

EDIT: Some good Kitana matchup discussion going on in this thread:

http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?3075-Mortal-Kombat-(2011)-Matchup-Chart/page3
http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?3075-Mortal-Kombat-(2011)-Matchup-Chart/page4

xTHUGx

Noob
I hate quan chi players who teleport but they land next to me and not actually on me. Is it possible for me to punish it with a 2fan as an anti air if i see it coming? or 2,1,fan as they land? I would appreciate if someone tested this out.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I hate quan chi players who teleport but they land next to me and not actually on me. Is it possible for me to punish it with a 2fan as an anti air if i see it coming? or 2,1,fan as they land? I would appreciate if someone tested this out.
When I was messing around with Quan Chi, I would use this tactic and aware players would put pressure on me if not hit me outright when i landed. I don't know if there is a hard punish, but you can DEFINITELY attack them first.

xTHUGx

Noob
When I was messing around with Quan Chi, I would use this tactic and aware players would put pressure on me if not hit me outright when i landed. I don't know if there is a hard punish, but you can DEFINITELY attack them first.
I was thinking of doing an EX iAF right after you see quan chi go up in air from the opposite side. So example I'm fighting on p1 side and quan chi is on p2 side, maybe as soon as I read his teleport I can try and do an iAF by doing the input as if I was on p2 side that way I either get him with the iAF and do Kitana's unbreakable fan combo or hit him with SB(chip damage if he blocks) and not get punished for it. I'm not very good when it comes to explaining things but I hope you understand. I'd appreciate if someone tested this.

EDIT: I also hate quan chi's string that is hard to avoid. The string with the skull animation hitting your stomach.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I was thinking of doing an EX iAF right after you see quan chi go up in air from the opposite side. So example I'm fighting on p1 side and quan chi is on p2 side, maybe as soon as I read his teleport I can try and do an iAF by doing the input as if I was on p2 side that way I either get him with the iAF and do Kitana's unbreakable fan combo or hit him with SB(chip damage if he blocks) and not get punished for it. I'm not very good when it comes to explaining things but I hope you understand. I'd appreciate if someone tested this.

EDIT: I also hate quan chi's string that is hard to avoid. The string with the skull animation hitting your stomach.
It's not really worth trying to do a big punish on anticipation of his teleport stomp. You have to commit and what if he decides to land on you this time? Just use this rule of thumb: "Always block, then react if he goes in front of behind" He will most likely go behind because you have 4 frames added to any move you do while your back is turned.

xTHUGx

Noob
It's not really worth trying to do a big punish on anticipation of his teleport stomp. You have to commit and what if he decides to land on you this time? Just use this rule of thumb: "Always block, then react if he goes in front of behind" He will most likely go behind because you have 4 frames added to any move you do while your back is turned.
Then what should I do after he teleports behind me? I don't want to hear that "just throw a fan on the screen" lol I actually want a real strategy that'll work most of the time or some 50/50 to keep him guessing. He always seems to get me with his string.

K played a lot of matches this week one against a guy who was really good with a lot of characters. Lots of new matchups I didn't have experience with.

Things of note.

smoke is so easy for kitana it makes me want to cry. He really can't do anything at all to bully her.

Reptile, I don't know why people have problems punishing elbow dash 21xxfan worked 100% for me. Thing i noticed is that reptile seems to +on block with force ball if he's about half screen or more and for a projectile it's really good/safe. You really have to avoid trades at all costs. However, like all ninja's he kinda has to take risk to open you up unless he wants to throw you to death so be fast on reaction and lots of fuzzy guarding.

Best noob i've played so far this matchup isn't as straightforward as i thought. Basically if noob doesn't press a button your only option is to gradually dash forward. Don't ever jump to fan or do anything in the air unless it is 100% on reaction his teleport is an absolute anti-air that works from anywhere on screen. Also in the corner he can force some damage if he hits you with an up clone or anything by setting up blackhole traps. If you get cornered try to squareboost or something out. You'll eat dmg but you need to be out of the corner.

Cage uhhhhh........i'm convinced this is a bad matchup. I was having trouble in match punishing green uppercut so we went to training mode, IF 21 punishes it the window isn't larger than a single frame. 6 guys there tried it and only we only successfully punished it like 2 out of 80 attempts. Only punish i got to work consistently was d1xxfan lift as the d1 hits him in air. Pretty much if cage doesn't kill himself there is little you can do, as if he convinces himself just to work himself in slowly he'll eventually get in and than your up shit creek. Also didn't help that the player started baiting my d1 and punished on block 100% of the time. Also there is no shame in square boosting if you get any breathing room. I d1~square boosted sooo much to get away. Run like a little bitch or die, those really are your only options. 6-4 cage really seems where this matchup is going. d1 should be safe on block : /

Not sure if i think raiden is negative anymore first time i've really got some good hands on time with him since patch and he doesn't bully kitana anymore. Really i kinda changed my playstyle vs him. In that I resigned myself to the fact I AM going to eat supermen. Not all of them mind you but really started not blocking unless i reacted to superman. Really opened up teleport punishes that were pretty consistent.

Also while i'm accustomed to punishing a crossup j. p after one I had a lot of problems with it this weekend compared to the other players I typically play. Basically they'd throw it out kind've early so that like only the last couple active frames would hit me if i st. blocked it. I tried uppercutting,2~fan, and j.P/K and none of them ever beat it. The only thing i could get to work was EX fan lift but seemed like if they did a j. k they dodged it. Anyone have tips on dealing with that kind of pressure? Never had someone mind games jump-ins so well on me in this game.

Sonya. Man best sonya i've seen anywhere consistently hit 40%+ combo's on me meterless felt like i was playing against a kitana that could rush down 3x better than me. He did some cool stuff like anti-air with kiss into combo if I got predictable with jumps, but anyways. Things to note. 2~fan is a terrible idea in this matchup as if she divekicks you will lose and that's almost half your bar. If she jumps, you should jump away into fan if she's far out. If she's closer j.P~fan and fan lift worked well for me. She has problems with fans so use them often but beware that move she jumps across the screen at you. It's not the best at punishing iAF but it'll punish ground fan easily. She can cancel her military stance lows into safe pressure with the cartwheel so be careful of pressing buttons against her and her d4 is amazing at setting up rushdown. I think this matchup is slightly in kitana's favor but very close to even as sonya is scary if she gets a hit.

xTHUGx

Noob
K played a lot of matches this week one against a guy who was really good with a lot of characters. Lots of new matchups I didn't have experience with.

Things of note.

smoke is so easy for kitana it makes me want to cry. He really can't do anything at all to bully her.

Reptile, I don't know why people have problems punishing elbow dash 21xxfan worked 100% for me. Thing i noticed is that reptile seems to +on block with force ball if he's about half screen or more and for a projectile it's really good/safe. You really have to avoid trades at all costs. However, like all ninja's he kinda has to take risk to open you up unless he wants to throw you to death so be fast on reaction and lots of fuzzy guarding.

Best noob i've played so far this matchup isn't as straightforward as i thought. Basically if noob doesn't press a button your only option is to gradually dash forward. Don't ever jump to fan or do anything in the air unless it is 100% on reaction his teleport is an absolute anti-air that works from anywhere on screen. Also in the corner he can force some damage if he hits you with an up clone or anything by setting up blackhole traps. If you get cornered try to squareboost or something out. You'll eat dmg but you need to be out of the corner.

Cage uhhhhh........i'm convinced this is a bad matchup. I was having trouble in match punishing green uppercut so we went to training mode, IF 21 punishes it the window isn't larger than a single frame. 6 guys there tried it and only we only successfully punished it like 2 out of 80 attempts. Only punish i got to work consistently was d1xxfan lift as the d1 hits him in air. Pretty much if cage doesn't kill himself there is little you can do, as if he convinces himself just to work himself in slowly he'll eventually get in and than your up shit creek. Also didn't help that the player started baiting my d1 and punished on block 100% of the time. Also there is no shame in square boosting if you get any breathing room. I d1~square boosted sooo much to get away. Run like a little bitch or die, those really are your only options. 6-4 cage really seems where this matchup is going. d1 should be safe on block : /

Not sure if i think raiden is negative anymore first time i've really got some good hands on time with him since patch and he doesn't bully kitana anymore. Really i kinda changed my playstyle vs him. In that I resigned myself to the fact I AM going to eat supermen. Not all of them mind you but really started not blocking unless i reacted to superman. Really opened up teleport punishes that were pretty consistent.

Also while i'm accustomed to punishing a crossup j. p after one I had a lot of problems with it this weekend compared to the other players I typically play. Basically they'd throw it out kind've early so that like only the last couple active frames would hit me if i st. blocked it. I tried uppercutting,2~fan, and j.P/K and none of them ever beat it. The only thing i could get to work was EX fan lift but seemed like if they did a j. k they dodged it. Anyone have tips on dealing with that kind of pressure? Never had someone mind games jump-ins so well on me in this game.

Sonya. Man best sonya i've seen anywhere consistently hit 40%+ combo's on me meterless felt like i was playing against a kitana that could rush down 3x better than me. He did some cool stuff like anti-air with kiss into combo if I got predictable with jumps, but anyways. Things to note. 2~fan is a terrible idea in this matchup as if she divekicks you will lose and that's almost half your bar. If she jumps, you should jump away into fan if she's far out. If she's closer j.P~fan and fan lift worked well for me. She has problems with fans so use them often but beware that move she jumps across the screen at you. It's not the best at punishing iAF but it'll punish ground fan easily. She can cancel her military stance lows into safe pressure with the cartwheel so be careful of pressing buttons against her and her d4 is amazing at setting up rushdown. I think this matchup is slightly in kitana's favor but very close to even as sonya is scary if she gets a hit.
Do you play on xbox or PS3?

I play on ps3 but i don't play online. It's made it hard to find matchup experience but I found a local group with some good players recently so started learning a bunch of matchups i didn't know before.

What do people punish cage's green flashkick with?

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I d1~square boosted sooo much to get away.
I used to do that, but now when I try and my opponent knows what I am doing, I eat an uppercut after the d1.

Very nice writeup.

I've never punished the Reptile dash because the only ones I've ever played are online lol

Sonya also punishes your d1 attempt with a jump back dive kick into whatever... she's scary when she gets in. And her d4 is like Mileena's.

I used to do that, but now when I try and my opponent knows what I am doing, I eat an uppercut after the d1.

Very nice writeup.

I've never punished the Reptile dash because the only ones I've ever played are online lol

Sonya also punishes your d1 attempt with a jump back dive kick into whatever... she's scary when she gets in. And her d4 is like Mileena's.
Like for elbow dash you leave blockstun like almost instantly after blocking the second one. It's not like a lot of moves in this game where the blockstun is like 1/2 a second or something.

Dark_Ky

Noob
i need some advice vs noob and kano. i even struggle against way worse oppenents when they pick those 2 bastards lol

and does any1 have some experience vs quan chi? to me it seems like he is a pretty bad char and noone uses him at all.

thx beforehand

Phantom

Kitana Prime aka MK's Rated R Superstar
Completely new here, never really done forums but I lurked after finding out about this place about 2 days ago after playing in a random "TYM" room on XBL

So I came here, lurked for about 2 days and learned A LOT. Community is smooth overall, recognize a few names from XBL and yada yada yada...
/ExpressingInterest lol

Let me get straight to it. Sindel fb spammers. Noob spamming. Raiden teleporting. Help.

I'm not in desperation mode, but I definitely need some pointers against this bullshit.

Excuse me for using the word bullshit as I understand spamming is a legit strategy, it's just that online - it's hell for me.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
From what I can gather the noob match up seems to revolve around jumping a clone and throwing out an air ex fan, cancelling into dash before the 2nd fan comes out. They are then in stagger state enough for you to dash in and land an f2,1 into whatever BnB. Two reads per round with one ex bar and you win.

Raiden you can d+1~cutter on reaction to teleports.

Not sure on Sindel tbh and could use some guidance myself. :)

DrDogg

Noob
Someone shine the Konqrr light...

I need Sonya match-up assistance. I have no answers for her.

All I can do to interrupt her pressure is d+1, which doesn't really get me anywhere. As soon as you block anything, you have to deal with the Military Stance 50/50, followed by the guessing game between a cross-up, d+1 or cancel into safe Cartwheel. I can't space her out because her d+4 has a far better hitbox than anything Kitana has and goes directly into her MS cancels. I can't take to the air because she has a very good anti-air game and one the best recovering projectiles in the game.

I can apply a little bit of pressure with iAF from mid-range, but that's about it. Suggestions?