What's new

QUESTIONS/INFO THREAD

Leonyx

Noob
Sheeva for Newbs

Hey guys. I'm new here, and I'd like to start using Sheeva. Unfortunately, I don't understand what it is I'm supposed to be doing. There aren't any threads for Bread and Butter combos, and I'm not even truly sure how you play as Sheeva. From what I do understand, she's a pressure character and I like to play as those (I also play as Jax and Nightwolf), and she uses one combo to do that. Am I understanding correctly? I did look at that thread titled Sheeva- Four Arms > Two and while it all looked very informative, most of the information went right over my head. Can someone please help me understand what it means to be Sheeva?

Leonyx

Noob
Thanks! That should help when I start to practice her combos.

I still need information on how I should play (and which of those combos are bnb).

Big Frog

Noob
I still need information on how I should play (and which of those combos are bnb).
The "Four Arms" thread really has everything you need to know, Leonyx. Really. Study that thing. Lots of great combos and strats against characters. Digimon's thread too.

For the most part you'll be using a lot of GnP & Low Grab combos. Simple 3, 3, GnP type combos along with 1, 2, B+1, 1, (Ex) GnP, stuff like that. Zoning with the Ground Pounds/Fireballs. And jump stomps of course. When NRS buffed her she became a lot better too. Use your meter very wisely. Sheeva is a beast, but she takes some getting used too.

Bobbss

Noob
Sheeva Wakeups.

I was in the lab yesterday with Sheeva and, as she deals high damage with whatever she does, I thought i'd take her online...

I played around 10 matches and didn't lose one (Ranked Tag so i had my main behind her)...

But i was wondering what Wakeup options she has? I was doing the Air Grab when i sensed a jump in punch, but what about anything else? Should it be an ex-Grab and punch?

Big Frog

Noob
She has a few, but only 2-3 are worth doing IMO. GnP (preferred Ex) being the main one, or at least the main one I use. The only others I sometimes use is a well, well, well timed AA or if I feel like jump stomping in some mudholes. Low Grabs can be used as a wake up too, but people jump in this game like it's their job so it's rare you'll hit that too.

Sheeva is a character, that when you're in her Grab N Punch traps, can have a hard time dealing with her.

If you're starting out with the basics, 212F1 as a full string is going to be your go to for punishers and when you do a jump in punch. It's also good to use on the opponents knockdown. When you get better to can start to do 212 Low Grab if they're blocking low, and jump in punch F3 into Low Grab/Grab N Punch depending on if they're crouching or standing.

Full screen depending on the match up, you're free to throw Fireballs and Ground Stomp - especially when they're in Fireball block stun. This builds meter and gets the opponent moving towards you, which is what you want.

When you're first starting out, uppercut or En Air Grab are simple anti-airs. 4 Grab N Punch is her best anti-air once your reactions are good.

En Grab N Punch has hyper armor, meaning it can absorb an umpteenth amount of hits. It does 22%, almost making it a mini combo of sorts. After En Grab N Punch hits, you're at a big advantage. You can go for a Ground Pound, and when your opponent starts to jump it go for a Fireball, or you can dash in and go from there.

D3 is a very good poke. It somewhat lowers her hit box, has range, and comes out fast. Around sweep distance D4 has better range, and lowers her hit box by a surprising amount. Both can be canceled into special moves, most notably Ground Stomp, and Grab N Punch / Low Grab depending on how they're blocking.

If your opponent is predictable with their low jabs up close, say after a certain block string, you can do En Low Grab which also has hyper armor. If your opponent stays on the ground, do D3 which grounds the opponent and do a Low Grab, since being grounded requires them to hold down block.

Her BnB combos are -

12B1 dash 4 Grab N Punch - 31%

12B1 dash 1B2 Anti-Air Grab - 27%

212F1 Grab N Punch - 30%

B2 1+2 Fireball - 28%

B2 1+2 Grab N Punch - 34%

F3 Grab N Punch - 22%

Low Grab B2 1+2 Fireball - 41%

Corner - 12B1 12B1 212F1 Grab N Punch - 38%

One dash away from the corner - 212F1 En Fireball, dash 12B1 212F1 Grab N Punch - 48%

Low Grab NJP B2 1+2 Grab N Punch - 49%

Low Grab is all she gets invincibility frames off of, but En Grab N Punch is her best bet. It can be baited and crouched however, or worse, crossed up. If it is crossed up, you are the very least around sweep distance.

Full screen I'm 90% sure you can regular Ground Stomp through projectiles.

Leonyx

Noob
Thanks guys so much! If I knew how to thank people, I'd thank all of you. I'll try to look at that thread again and see what I can get from it.

Big Frog

Noob
I'll get around to posting some online gameplay too, dude. I'm an online player not a tourney player but I think I can post some good vids of typical Sheeva play.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
I like the Ask Sheeves signature. Good stuff.

For Sheeva Beginners, I really only tell them 5 things.
Throw - Very high damage
F+4 - Very good advancing move
212 - Easy pressure/punisher
Steer your stomps - don't just do a brain dead up/down
Enhanced Grab and Throw - Use it to get out of trouble.

All her other mix-ups are great, but until you get used to the speed and mobility, it isn't going to work. So stick to the basics until you get a good feel.

Big Frog

Noob
I like the Ask Sheeves signature. Good stuff.

For Sheeva Beginners, I really only tell them 5 things.
Throw - Very high damage
F+4 - Very good advancing move
212 - Easy pressure/punisher
Steer your stomps - don't just do a brain dead up/down
Enhanced Grab and Throw - Use it to get out of trouble.

All her other mix-ups are great, but until you get used to the speed and mobility, it isn't going to work. So stick to the basics until you get a good feel.
I appreciate it yet it took me like 3 mins to make hahaaha

But you're totally right. Get used to Sheeva's speed before ANYTHING. She has fantastic mix ups that I'm even still learning and I've used her 96% of the time since MK3. Getting used to her pays off big time.

Digimon made a seriously great point too. That being when he said a smart blocking/punishing Sheeva is very dangerous which is sooo true. She doesn't have the biggest combos ever but the ones she does have rape face.

Warborn

Freebies for all
Sheeva - spam stomping

I was playing online last night and I came across this player that would not stop stomping.
I just couldn't get around it. As soon as I tried a wake up attack I got thrown.
Anyone got any advice to avoid or punish it. Kitana is my main.

A well timed neutral Jump Punch will stop her telestomp. I'm not sure since I don't use Kitana but maybe you can do a fan lift and it might catch sheeva in the air, or you can always do that flying teleport thing she does.

EDIT: Also Use your knife poke alot. I think it's D+1, It's one of the best pokes in the game.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Now I haven't had much sheeva experience, but my friend says he just uppercuts her out of the telestomp. Also if you're using kitana tray to use her fan lift and see if that grabs her out of the slam.

Fan lift.

After the jump stomp if literally all he is doing is throwing or doing another stomp, just duck and punish.

Online NJPing the stomp can be a bit tricky. As Kitana, you're a bit lucky and get to jump back kick and Fan into combo.

You're best bet is to prevent the telestomp from happening. Keep up the pressure and don't give any breathing room, sheeva doesn't have any "get off me" specials, plus she's slow.

Massicus

Noob
Now I haven't had much sheeva experience, but my friend says he just uppercuts her out of the telestomp. Also if you're using kitana tray to use her fan lift and see if that grabs her out of the slam.
I recall using Sheeva for fun when the game came out and just spamming the jump, but if I recall correctly this dude would just jumpkick/uppercut me.
Its kinda annoying though when you're used to focussing and lowblocking and then you suddenly have to jump and keep moving.
Also she's so slow, get in her face, limit her options, perform fatality->succes

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
Abuse any anti air you have. I recommend just jumping back a lot and catching her in an instant air fan.

It gets real fun with Shang Tsung and his upskulls.

Reptile can charge a slimeball.

Subby can hide inside a clone

Anyone with an air throw can use that.

Noob can upkick.

Its not that hard come to think of it.

I use smoke against Sheeva. A well time telepirt does 8%. After a few times of telefucking Sheevas stomp,they tend to gwt the idea.

From my Nook Color

Warborn

Freebies for all
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

A NJP?! I feel like the timing on that would be really tricky.
Fan Lift, BRILLIANT! I'm going to try that for sure. I can't believe I didn't think of that.

I matched up against this person more than one time on Ranked and I tried smoke as a counter, hes one of my alternates.
I timed the teleports good half the time. Gotta work on the timing better, but he still came out on top.

Thanks again everyone!

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
I'm trying to figure out a way to counter NJP and uppercut when I telestomp. Will steering forward/backwards do the trick?