What's new

Question re: downplay

how about the everybody play liu kang thread that's on the front page right now. You know the one you made comments in
So when you say, "another I can't beat Liu Kang post" you in fact weren't talking about the post to which you were directly referring?

Glad we could get to the bottom of that. Let me know if I can help you work your way through the next thought process you get hung up on.

Liu Kang is being seriously up-played right now. Ever since Sonic put him as top 1 everyone has been clamoring for nerfs. He's been untouched since day 1. People think he's game-breakingly good now? Gimme a break.
People were calling Liu Kang a problem before the patch notes were even released. The universal poke jailing change made his 1,2 a huge issue and effectively rendered him the supreme beneficiary of said change.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
So when you say, "another I can't beat Liu Kang post" you in fact weren't talking about the post to which you were directly referring?

Glad we could get to the bottom of that. Let me know if I can help you work your way through the next thought process you get hung up on.
so this isn't another bash liu kang thread?

so this isn't another bash liu kang thread?
Define "bash Liu Kang." This is a thread asking if the amount of downplaying among Liu players is notably greater than previous top tiers, which on its own is a pretty neutral question.

In a winding butthurt fury you then made the leap in logic that such a thread must be none other than an indication I can't beat the character, which is a baseless assumption, at best.

I could have a 100% winrate against the character and still feel he is demonstrably too powerful and an unhealthy design.

Next question.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
Define "bash Liu Kang." This is a thread asking if the amount of downplaying among Liu players is notably greater than previous top tiers, which on its own is a pretty neutral question.

In a winding butthurt fury you then made the leap in logic that such a thread must be none other than an indication I can't beat the character, which is a baseless assumption, at best.

I could have a 100% winrate against the character and still feel he is demonstrably too powerful and an unhealthy design.

Next question.
Oh so this is a bash liu players thread sorry my bad.
Bunch of downplaying scrubs. That character is sooo brain dead. Way too powerful. Oh darn it I seem to have gone back to bashing the character again. No butt hurt here bro just nerf this scrubby character already amirite.

I mean if u think liu kang in mk11 is "too strong to be healthy", what about 90% combos with cyrax, or kabals ndc's in mk9, compared to that liu kang in mk11 looks weak.

Compared to ST Akuma all that shit looks weak. Just because there exists a most extreme case doesn't mean everything to left of that mark is fine. Within the confines of MK11, a game which is admittedly quite well balanced by NRS standards, Liu Kang is nonsensical.

I've said this before, but what leads me to label a character a "unhealthy" is honestly not so much to do with their raw strength as their strength relative to the rest of the cast, and more specifically, the playstyle and oppressiveness of the character. You can be overtuned as fuck and still not "unhealthy." Part of why Liu is so OTT is even if you take what he does in relation to the rest of the roster and view it in isolation; that is, assume Liu Kang is the only character in the game and the only character any of us can play...

Is it then fine? If we all have those same tools does the problem go away? Nah, it's still goofy as shit and nearly perma-locking people down in a flurry of 1,2s and f4s is actually just over the top for how linear the gameplay is. It's a one size fits all strategy that dumbs every major interaction down into a guess guess guess situation (that always highly favors Liu) and doesn't magically become less ridiculous just because we all could do it.

I wouldn't feel the same way about pre-patch Cassie, for instance.

Last edited:
Oh so this is a bash liu players thread sorry my bad.
Bunch of downplaying scrubs. That character is sooo brain dead. Way too powerful. Oh darn it I seem to have gone back to bashing the character again. No butt hurt here bro just nerf this scrubby character already amirite.
Look, there's a fire extinguisher over there in the corner if your ass is really inflamed to this degree. Had I known you were so sensitive I'd have put a disclaimer up.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
Look, there's a fire extinguisher over there in the corner if your ass is really inflamed to this degree. Had I known you were so sensitive I'd have put a disclaimer up.
no butt hurt here my friend I don't really care but come on why else did you start this thread lol.

no butt hurt here my friend I don't really care but come on why else did you start this thread lol.
Self evident. I was curious as to the veracity of my observation re: the proliferation of Liu downplaying. The fact that the best character in the game is downplayed in itself is incontrovertible and on its own an unbiased assessment. It simply is. Whether it's worse and more abundant among the Liu player base is what l'm interested in.

craftycheese

I tried to throw a yo-yo away. It was impossible.
All I know is, I'm fine with all this bitching about Kangaroo. He'll get nerfed, then we'll bitch about the next character and they will nerfed, and then, eventually, my man Kano will be the top character in the game.

Seriously though, are we just gonna do this for every fucking character? At this rate, were going to kill this game maybe faster than the two year cycle.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
The only person, that ever had success with Cyrax, was DJT.
Regardless of the craps he had, for one: he required good execution and long time labbing. Kabal, yeah he had his NDC, but to apply it successfully, you had to had very high execution. Very few did well with Kabal, though many tried.
Wut

Maxter? WinterWarz?

And everybody was playing Kabal after a while.. Perfect Legend, CD Jr., Forever King, everybody. The top 8’s became 90% Kabal Cyrax Sonya and Kenshi.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
On a more serious note, I think the downplay happens because that's just how this community is. Liu Kang players aren't unique in this.

You have people like Hayatei dropping Erron who is still a top character, Perfect Legend whining about Kung Lao, Honeybee dropping his supposed main for Noob even though D'vorah is really fucking solid now. Downplay will always happen.
Hayatei didn’t drop Erron tho he still plays him.

All I know is, I'm fine with all this bitching about Kangaroo. He'll get nerfed, then we'll bitch about the next character and they will nerfed, and then, eventually, my man Kano will be the top character in the game.

Seriously though, are we just gonna do this for every fucking character? At this rate, were going to kill this game maybe faster than the two year cycle.
It's almost as if fighting game balance is a goal to strive for even if not a realistically obtainable end result or something.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
NACI MAN judging by your post, you are a Kang player, right? :D
i wouldnt call myself a "mk player" to be honest. But the amount of finger pointing at characters is lame as hell. Especially when the players doing well with him are godlike. For people here to act like it has nothing to do with the player is just stupid.

Top tier yeah at this point it seems that way for sure but as soon as a patch drops everybody instantly knows everything and starts finger pointing and crying for nerfs.

That's why I have asked for uploads of people's own matches so maybe we can help each other level up insted if crying all the time.

There has been an os just found that could shake everything up. Give it time