What's new

Quan Chi: Broken Or Under-Broken?

Quan Chi: Menacing Threat or Overrated Gimmick?

• Threat.

Votes: 40 39.2%
  • Gimmick.

Votes: 45 44.1%
  • Unspecified,Unrelated Third Answer.

Votes: 17 16.7%

• Total voters

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Well when they designed the game, they didn't want to make it so he had a rune trap, just like how cyrax wasn't designed to have resets.
My point. The game was essentially released, things overlooked, poor designs not changed while unneeded nerfs applied and generally it ended up arsebackwards. I play/participate/assess several games and few of them make the playerbase so divided and angry as MK can.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I think he is a very interesting and well designed character, I think its the limits of the MK9 system that make him kinda fucked up.

The rune trap may not have been intended, but it is a really cool mechanics and I hope it returns in MK10.

The things I would change about him in the next game.

Make his footsies and normals better, not great, but decent.
Fix his buffs so there actually useful. Grundy has Buffs in injustice and they look actually useful, allowing you to combo into the EX versions would be fun.
MK10 needs variable health, and Quan needs Akuma health.
MK10 also needs Alpha counters very badly IMO. Would help with Quans traps, and Kabal/Cage general bullshitery.
Let him use that Pimp ass Sword he uses for his Scorpion Fatality.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
That mentality is so wrong it hurts.
So just because he may have trouble getting close to someone means that the rune trap isn't beyond broken? lolfuckno
Exactly, he's clearly broken and the only people justifying him are the small percentage who use him. He doesn't have to be #1 or even top tier to have game-breaking mechanics. That muthafucka goes against the laws of PHYSICS, not only in a fighting game, but in reality too. Idk what kind of retarded people would use a character like that anyway *Ed Boon* cough*......to win against him you have to play the game improperly and backwards....

If that isn't game-breaking then "you" are a fucking idiot. LOL Rune Trap. Just thinking about how bullshit it is makes me want to quit MK9 right now.

Let's not forget how he FORCES rushdown players to Zone and run away. Fucking fail x 10,000

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
Exactly, he's clearly broken and the only people justifying him are the small percentage who use him. He doesn't have to be #1 or even top tier to have game-breaking mechanics. That muthafucka goes against the laws of PHYSICS, not only in a fighting game, but in reality too. Idk what kind of retarded people would use a character like that anyway *Ed Boon* cough*......to win against him you have to play the game improperly and backwards....

If that isn't game-breaking then "you" are a fucking idiot. LOL Rune Trap. Just thinking about how bullshit it is makes me want to quit MK9 right now.

Let's not forget how he FORCES rushdown players to Zone and run away. Fucking fail x 10,000
ur starting to sound like Digimon....

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
How can u possibly legitimize his game-breaking mechanics? LOSING for blocking correctly.....
several characters can punish u for blocking correctly. i don't main quan, but i don't feel that he's a super broken char....maybe the fact that Kung is one of my mains has something to do with it, but he's not a broken character. his mix-ups arent that scary. Vs quan chi you should be blocking low most of the time anyways because of b3. the 1+2 is easy to fuzzy guard, & his runetrap is only a problem when he has full meter. His slow normal are easy as hell to react to & fuzzy guard. Someone like kung lao can easily pressure him & destroy him for any attempt to pressure back. Not to mention his footsies are ass.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
several characters can punish u for blocking correctly. i don't main quan, but i don't feel that he's a super broken char....maybe the fact that Kung is one of my mains has something to do with it, but he's not a broken character. his mix-ups arent that scary. Vs quan chi you should be blocking low most of the time anyways because of b3. the 1+2 is easy to fuzzy guard, & his runetrap is only a problem when he has full meter. His slow normal are easy as hell to react to & fuzzy guard. Someone like kung lao can easily pressure him & destroy him for any attempt to pressure back. Not to mention his footsies are ass.
you totally missed the point...

....his entire style is game-breaking. Sorry dude, I'm loyal to science and scientific logic says he doesn't belong. It's not worht arguing over neither cuz he'll never be banned and NRS won't fix him so I don't see the point anyway. We all know he's Ed Boon's favorite character and he just wanted some easy-mode character that he could beat the NRS-guys with and say "I'M STILL THE BEST". Real Talk.

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
i didnt read the thread but i read many times people say rune trap wasn't intentional. i was thinking about this the other day. Why not? just because it was discovered later in the game does that discredit nrs or ourselves? i dunno if it was tech that came post patch or something like that, but wouldn't it make sense that a move that grants so much advantage on hit would be intentionally used for such setups?

Quan Chi isn't broken based on my analogy.

No one set in stone or made it the official Rule of a Game Being Broken or Not that blocking is the optimal way to win in a fight, whether in a video game or in a real life fight. Therefore that can't automatically mean broken. Here is my analogy.

Say you are in a boxing match with someone much stronger than you and who punches so hard that even if you block, you're still going to get injured. Obviously, blocking isn't the way to defend yourself and then whats the next option? Ducking, dodging, avoiding.

Quan Chi is part of that analogy. He is the boxer who is too strong for you to block effectively since it would shatter your bones anyway if you block, so you have to dodge. That doesn't mean broken. He's just a character that you must employ different tactics with to win against. That doesn't mean the game is broken and glitchy and Quan needs to be patched. I can't say he's a well-designed character but its a nice breath of fresh air that he's that character which we need to be more cautious getting touched by....like fighting a Heavyweight World Boxing Champion and expecting blocking to get you anywhere...

HGTV DrFlash44

Quan Cheese!!!
Quan Chi isn't broken based on my analogy.

No one set in stone or made it the official Rule of a Game Being Broken or Not that blocking is the optimal way to win in a fight, whether in a video game or in a real life fight. Therefore that can't automatically mean broken. Here is my analogy.

Say you are in a boxing match with someone much stronger than you and who punches so hard that even if you block, you're still going to get injured. Obviously, blocking isn't the way to defend yourself and then whats the next option? Ducking, dodging, avoiding.

Quan Chi is part of that analogy. He is the boxer who is too strong for you to block effectively since it would shatter your bones anyway if you block, so you have to dodge. That doesn't mean broken. He's just a character that you must employ different tactics with to win against. That doesn't mean the game is broken and glitchy and Quan needs to be patched. I can't say he's a well-designed character but its a nice breath of fresh air that he's that character which we need to be more cautious getting touched by....like fighting a Heavyweight World Boxing Champion and expecting blocking to get you anywhere...
well said

DemoniChris

Lord of the Sick
I think he is a very interesting and well designed character, I think its the limits of the MK9 system that make him kinda fucked up.

The rune trap may not have been intended, but it is a really cool mechanics and I hope it returns in MK10.

The things I would change about him in the next game.

Make his footsies and normals better, not great, but decent.
Fix his buffs so there actually useful. Grundy has Buffs in injustice and they look actually useful, allowing you to combo into the EX versions would be fun.
MK10 needs variable health, and Quan needs Akuma health.
MK10 also needs Alpha counters very badly IMO. Would help with Quans traps, and Kabal/Cage general bullshitery.
Let him use that Pimp ass Sword he uses for his Scorpion Fatality.
I agree with a lot of these except for variable health

DemoniChris

Lord of the Sick
you totally missed the point...

....his entire style is game-breaking. Sorry dude, I'm loyal to science and scientific logic says he doesn't belong. It's not worht arguing over neither cuz he'll never be banned and NRS won't fix him so I don't see the point anyway. We all know he's Ed Boon's favorite character and he just wanted some easy-mode character that he could beat the NRS-guys with and say "I'M STILL THE BEST". Real Talk.
I'm 99.5% sure that Boons' favorite character is Scorpion

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I doubt Boon even knows what the rune trap is.
The highest execution combo boon can probably do is spear uppercut.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
I'm 99.5% sure that Boons' favorite character is Scorpion

LOL. Unfortunately that .5% of the time you are wrong, I am right :p Ed Boon has said on numerous ocassions that Quan is his favorite :(

Also, and for the record.....

....NOOOOOOOO, YOU!!!!!

I doubt Boon even knows what the rune trap is.
The highest execution combo boon can probably do is spear uppercut.
Man, you say that shit like it's brain-dead easy. That shit took me like 6 months to master.

SLy

Noob
Nah.. He isnt broken.. Its just the way he is played is Foreign. He handles his opponents in a different and unique way. Its like theres a meter clock when you fight him lol..gotta beat his ass before he gets hold of 3 bars.

DemoniChris

Lord of the Sick
LOL. Unfortunately that .5% of the time you are wrong, I am right :p Ed Boon has said on numerous ocassions that Quan is his favorite :(

Also, and for the record.....

....NOOOOOOOO, YOU!!!!!

Man, you say that shit like it's brain-dead easy. That shit took me like 6 months to master.
http://mortalkombat.wikia.com/wiki/Ed_Boon
just saiyan. Quit being mad about my quan chi and just learn how to fight agaisnt him :p

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
How can u possibly legitimize his game-breaking mechanics? LOSING for blocking correctly.....
losing for spacing incorrectly.

dont forget quan is forced to eat every combo, cant use any other ex move, and cant xray. couple that with the fact that his two best moves are hella punishable on block and his only mixup can be poked...ya real broken arez :p

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
losing for spacing incorrectly.

dont forget quan is forced to eat every combo, cant use any other ex move, and cant xray. couple that with the fact that his two best moves are hella punishable on block and his only mixup can be poked...ya real broken arez :p
I think after his ban we have learned not to take a single word Arez says seriously.

Quan is far from easy mode--in fact, against a competent opponent, he can be very difficult to win with. His wake ups suck, everything worth doing in unsafe, and you can't break combos or you lose your offense (rune trap).

Sure, if you play someone that doesn't know how to block mixups, Quan could possibly look easy mode, but hell any character could. Quans mixups aren't even that good.

F1 2, the second hit is low so you can see it coming from a mile away because it's slow
B3 is decent, but there is absolutely no reason why you wouldn't block Quan low
U+3 is ridiculously slow and full combo punishable--you risk the match to make people respect overhead

His pressure isn't great without meter and rune trap--you can duck the second hit of 11, fast start ups can punish in between B3 1+2, and so on.

Winning with Quan, again, against a competent opponent, requires perfect meter management, as well as a few lucky breaks. And in the end, the dash for Rune Trap can be tricky and if it isn't perfect people can jump out. This happens online all of the time, but if you aren't on the dash perfect, it can be dropped offline as well.

I think one of the keys to using Quan is trading Trance from mid screen, though there are several characters that you cannot even attempt to do this with: Rain, Smoke, Kabal are just a few off the top of my head that can full combo punish any blocked trance from mid screen.

Quan is indeed broken because I don't think Rune Trap was an intended strategy, but if he didn't have it he would be at disadvantage in every match up except maybe Sheeva.