What's new

Quan Chi: Broken Or Under-Broken?

Quan Chi: Menacing Threat or Overrated Gimmick?

• Threat.

Votes: 40 39.2%
  • Gimmick.

Votes: 45 44.1%
  • Unspecified,Unrelated Third Answer.

Votes: 17 16.7%

• Total voters

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I do think Quan is quite meter dependent. I found a bit of a gimmicky way to get a boost in the match but it requires one bar. If I dont get punished for it, i then have to get in without being hit or I lose the boost. People forget they can breaker out of his Rune trap as well.

The problem lies with characters below him that dont have good tools like Quan. He'll never be up there with Kabal, but, he has tools that will give most the cast cause to be worried.
I <3 when someone lets off the block when they get Breaker and I get them in a 21 EX Trance.
I could take the salt and put it on my french fries.

Flagg

Noob
The full 3-Bar Rune Trap isn't where it's at anymore.
Mixing up string BETWEEN the 212 EX Runes and maximizing damage is where it's at.
There's no one in this game who has to sacrifice more Meter to get his job done than Quan.
(Except Jade.)

Given the rest of his average-to-below-par tools, I think that's fair.
People act as if facing Quan Chi and his potential rune trap is a far worse prospect than a Kabal machine gunning projectiles and NMDC's or braindead Cage throwing knees all day.

Flagg

Noob
I <3 when someone lets off the block when they get Breaker and I get them in a 21 EX Trance.
I could take the salt and put it on my french fries.
That's the beauty of it, you can make the opponent think you're going to use this, but instead you can B3 1+2 into trance for the reset

I've picked up Ermac lately and I have no problem at all, laming out Cage or rush down happy Kitanas, and this is coming from someone who likes rushing down. People need to not try and brawl with QC if they fear the trap that much.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
People act as if facing Quan Chi and his potential rune trap is a far worse prospect than a Kabal machine gunning projectiles and NMDC's or braindead Cage throwing knees all day.
Exactly. There are still definitely Kabals and Cages out there who know how to put on a great fight, but as far as the majority of players out there go, I'd be a lot more hyped and in need of my thinking cap against Quans, in that he doesn't have a real basic go-to safety net to bombard you with all day..

D

Deleted member 9158

Quan-cheez broken? Hell no. If your opponent has knowledge of Quan, he crumbles like an old building. The Rune trap is needed, without it he'd be worse than Jade. In the right hands, he's a force to be reckoned with though. It just takes a lot of patience to use him well

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Quan has to get in to do anything, and even then he has to conserve meter like he's stranded in a remote wasteland, without any means to reach the outside world and it's his last candy bar. Cage...well all Cage has to do is get in. Cage needs no meter to put your ass in frametraps.

OZombiePenguinO

Garbage, bro
Rune Trap doesn't break the rules. If it did, they wouldn't have put it in intentionally, which they clearly did.

I don't think you can make an unblockable move with huge advantage on hit AND the ability to cancel into it without seeing that coming. The fact that they didn't touch it in any of the patches shows that it's meant to be there. Mm.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
He's not broken, he's not great, but people could stand to mix up combos a little more with him, I mean I see the b3, then overhead coming a mile away from most quan chi players. But those are generic online ones anyways. Mixing up his strings can really confuse the shit out of people. Only takes one small string to lead to a trance to lead to more strings and big combos. I don't fight many Quan Chi's Zombie Penguins is really good and I've fought Shujinkidink once online but I had no idea what was going on the screen was choppy as hell. But fighting those 2 definitely shows he's not just a lost cause at least.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Anyone of you QC players found any use for his B33 string ? I really think is totally useless.

GNG Iniquity

Yeah, it's true though, you need to throw people off with Quan Chi. I rarely start the runetrap with 212 anymore. I go for B3 EX Rune, F12 EX Rune (1+2 is neutral on block as well), D3/D4 EX rune, U3 EX rune, etc. People look for the 212, people look for the B31+2 and people look for the F12~trance. So you've gotta mix it up. The 7 frame uppercut throws a lot of people off too. Nobody ever expects it. Except you have to respect Quan's multiple options, unlike Kang for instance of which I'm just going to block low, high, high and eat his overhead which links to nothing and ask for seconds.

11 is easy to hit confirm into 112~trace or throw. It's neutral on block.
B1 is also easy to hit confirm into 11~trance and is also neutral on block.

Anyone of you QC players found any use for his B33 string ? I really think is totally useless.
I've tried to, 100% useless thus far.

The time I think QC is broken is when I have 40% health left, Quan has 3 bars of meter, and just had to block a normal. Right there in that instance I think he is broken. Since I am not playing the game right this instance he is not broken.

Quan to me is hybrid zoner and rushdown character. With the rushdown being aided greatly by the rune trap, but with his slow normals that are easy to fuzzy guard against HE NEEDS IT. Also rarely see people using the normal ruin to zone with from more than jump distance, and I can never figure out why. I am not a Quan player but that would seem to be better than just whiffing another skydrop to get in.

GNG Iniquity

The time I think QC is broken is when I have 40% health left, Quan has 3 bars of meter, and just had to block a normal. Right there in that instance I think he is broken. Since I am not playing the game right this instance he is not broken.

Quan to me is hybrid zoner and rushdown character. With the rushdown being aided greatly by the rune trap, but with his slow normals that are easy to fuzzy guard against HE NEEDS IT. Also rarely see people using the normal ruin to zone with from more than jump distance, and I can never figure out why. I am not a Quan player but that would seem to be better than just whiffing another skydrop to get in.
I have no idea why, but I can never get the far rune's input consistent enough to feel comfortable using it on a regular basis. I just use a skull honestly in those situations; however...you're right. Nobody will expect an EX Rune at that distance, but until I feel 100% comfortable using that meter for it, I can't do it...he needs it man! lol

Should be BF 1 :cool:

I have no idea why, but I can never get the far rune's input consistent enough to feel comfortable using it on a regular basis. I just use a skull honestly in those situations; however...you're right. Nobody will expect an EX Rune at that distance, but until I feel 100% comfortable using that meter for it, I can't do it...he needs it man! lol

Should be BF 1 :cool:
I seriously think that zoning using a combination of runes and skulls when at distance rather then just whiff a sky drop is where it is at. Gets the opponent to respect another option that Quan has. I know when I play Quan's (pretty rare these days) at full screen it is a just sit and wait for the sky drop to happen and maybe duck a skull before that happens. Get the opponent moving and respect more than those 2 options I think will help open up some more mind games and make everything easier on Quan.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
I tend to argue that Chi could still be a mid tier character even without the rune trap. This game is all about catching an opponent offguard and Chi has plenty of mixups and setups to do that. The better question is this....how many of you would main Chi if He didn't have the rune trap?

I like quan. I think he has more shenanigans than most of the cast. Truly a trolls character. I mean, his B3,3 can AA. He is so full of fun, I can't play a game with or as him without lol'ing to death

GNG Iniquity

I tend to argue that Chi could still be a mid tier character even without the rune trap. This game is all about catching an opponent offguard and Chi has plenty of mixups and setups to do that. The better question is this....how many of you would main Chi if He didn't have the rune trap?
Quan's the semi-viable troll. Scorpion is the 100% gimmick troll. That's how I view 'em. If Quan lost his rune trap I'd just play Scorpion. Scorpion gets more off a right guess and can put you into another bad guess.

Flagg

Noob
You can get a medium rune off of it, you can end some combos as well, but it's easier to land a B11 instead and you're more likely to whiff B33.

I think B3 1+2 can be interrupted, but I don't believe B33 can.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
You can get a medium rune off of it, you can end some combos as well, but it's easier to land a B11 instead and you're more likely to whiff B33.

I think B3 1+2 can be interrupted, but I don't believe B33 can.
B33 can be interrupted if you crouch block it. 3 is a high hit. Dunno if it jails though.

Flagg

Noob
I would. He still has powerful combos without the rune trap, and a couple of set ups for semi safe red boost. People forget his red boost increases his damage by 31%, and he can land a 55% meterless combo (providing he is red boosted).

The thing with Quan is, you have to go all in with him. I enjoy using him quite a bit, but I wouldn't call myself a dedicated QC player. And it's hard to think "hmm, they've picked that character, im going QC now!". I don't counterpick by any means by im not sure what matches he dominates in. I think he is really good, but I think he has an equal amount of chance to beat most the cast. Strangely enough, Kano of all characters can be a problem for him.

CD jr

Noob
no one in this community is even close to using quan chi to his full potential.stop crying, this character is completely broken and shouldnt be in the game.dont quote me because i wont respond.#yolo

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
no one in this community is even close to using quan chi to his full potential.stop crying, this character is completely broken and shouldnt be in the game.dont quote me because i wont respond.#yolo
Trolololololololol.

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
Your responding to me son. Quan doesn't have shit bro. All his mixups suck and his footsie game is bad. Dude nobody can make this character any higher than C tier.