What's new

(PS Allstars) Is this game going to last?

Will PS All Stars last?

• yes

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • no

Votes: 19 65.5%

• Total voters

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Dang! zaf wasnt kidding when he said he would debate the shit out the person who dares compare PSASBR to Smash lol. Anywho, Battle Royale is grabbing all my attention at the moment. I really love it and plan on playing it for a while. I am not doing the whole MK9 approach where I lock my focus on only one character this time around (Although I do think Nariko would be my stryker in this game). As for the comparison between smash, I cant really comment on that because I have never played the smash series :( I can see why people tend to compare them because visually they kinda look alike and I think that's where it stops or should be stopped. Annnnd that's where I'm gonna stop lol ( I dont want Zaf to come after me:p)

PND_Ketchup you are right in a sense that whoever builds meter the fastest will win, but that's not entirely true. You would have to have a decent setup to land those supers as well especially in a 1v1 match. Let's take Nariko for example, she can build 150AP (equal to her level 1) in one combo, but her level 1 and 2 suck. Her level 3 in a big stage is not that great either :( They are easily avoidable and all that meter you just build is now gone. And that's where the mind game sets into play and the fun of being only killed by supers kicks in. There is a sheer joy when you make someone waste their meter for nothing by evading their supers. I tell you the higher the level the more satisfying it is. Imaging making a kratos or a Sly waste a level 3 :D . There are only a handful of supers that are guaranteed kills i.e. parappa and spike etc. Other ones are somewhat unavoidable (raiden , big daddy etc). For the most part you can avoid them. The other joy comes with outsmarting your opponent and land your super.

Oh oh oh there is another aspect of killing that I am now discovering. Normally when someone activates their supers (mainly 1 or 2), everybody tend to run away. Now ppl are actually manning up and counter a super with another super. So you have to keep that in mind as well :)

There are also ways to deplete meters if you think that your opponent is going for the more devastating super. If you grab your opponent, the higher is meter the more he will lose. Other ways are getting hit by items, certain attacks (looking at you sly), and stage hazards.

Sorry to hear that you guys are not enjoying the game and given your expertise I would really like to see what kind of cheap stuff you would have come up with :rolleyes: . One thing for sure I am having a blast right now and I guess I will do it for the team hehe

Justice

Noob
wow that's a big drop.
Yeah. I got a feeling though that it's the community's own bias rearing it's ugly head again. They won't give it a chance because it's a "party game"
Because it's so easy to build super in sony allstars you don't work to kill opponents at all.
Yeah, but it's not so easy to use the supers to kill your opponents. Take for example Sackboy's L3. It puts everyone into a bubble waiting to be killed right? But the bubbles float out of range somethimes and some of the stages are really hard to get around. Depending on the stage, I can get 6+kills in one super or 1 or none if the stage sux.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Also I think it will last but just like MK9 for it's own user base hehe. TBH I think that question is irrelevant because there will always be a specific user group who will enjoy the heck out of it. Just like our community, ppl always tell us that MK9 will die but who cares we are still enjoying the heck out of it, no?

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Yeah. I got a feeling though that it's the community's own bias rearing it's ugly head again. They won't give it a chance because it's a "party game"

Yeah, but it's not so easy to use the supers to kill your opponents. Take for example Sackboy's L3. It puts everyone into a bubble waiting to be killed right? But the bubbles float out of range somethimes and some of the stages are really hard to get around. Depending on the stage, I can get 6+kills in one super or 1 or none if the stage sux.
depends on the character, raiden has the best supers from what I played.

Justice

Noob
All I'm saying is that it's not just build meter > mash R2. You gotta plan and strategize your "meter use" :p

And I would have fun debating you on who has the better supers :p

Phase 3

Feels Good Man
it all moves too fast for me to get how there are mind games in that game. 1 frame poke into 100% combo? mindgames.
Well, you have three characters, so killing a single character is only really taking away 33% of any given team. With that in mind, if one poke leading to 33% means the game has no mindgames, then I guess MK doesn't either because you can jab someone into combos that exceed 33%.

See how silly that is? It's not about the poke, it's about how you opened up the opponent. Marvel has layers upon layers of mindgames because you have so much to take into consideration: overheads, lows, crossups, frame traps, command grabs, regular throws, pushblocking, aerial exchanges, unblockables etc. All of these things factor into opening up your opponent and scoring resets, which means you have to be analyzing and dissecting mindgames at such a fast pace. Also, many teams need to open up their opponents in a specific way, or simply can't kill off of a single touch, so manipulating their opponent into certain positions is key.

ultimately though i will defend that samsh is a party game. just because people may play it with a competitive mindset douesnt make it not a party game.
Then what constitutes a fighting game? A 2D plane? Dragon punches? Mortal Kombat has party modes too, does that mean Mortal Kombat is a party game? I don't think there has ever been a panel of fighting game deities that have laid down an unwavering list of criteria for fighting games, so this area is murky at best.

At the end of the day, Smash has more than enough fighting game fundamentals and depth to be considered a fighting game by most people. Also, Zaf is correct when he says the amount of depth in Smash Bros. (Melee specifically) is almost staggering. I could go into detail, but that's really not what this thread is about.

----

So, as for PSASBR, I don't think it'll have legs in the competitive scene whatsoever. There's so much at first glance that generally seems troublesome to competitive players and while these mechanics might not be so bad once explored, it's getting people to invest early on that's going to be problematic.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
I agree. Raiden is really good in this game simply because he has wayyyyy too many good setups. As for his level 1 it is easily interrupted from above. Raiden users will abuse forward square or jump down triangle to land that super lol. Once you know it's coming you can defend properly. Heck even down triangle grounded is a viable setup. That's what makes him so good. He doesn't have to work for a level 2 or 3. His level 1 is enough to guarantee him the match :-( superbot is currently looking at Kratos and him. They will probably get some adjustments in coming patches

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
I just wanna watch this thread. Morty said something about it being at MLG. Who knows? If so, people will likely start playing it seriously. Jeremiah and are gonna start playing this week, I think.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Guys...the game just came out. It's way too soon to make the call on whether it gets life support or not.

Me personally - having played the beta, I think it may have potential. I'm picking up the full game this Christmas and seeing where I can go with it.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Because the hardcore fighting game player is a minority just like any hardcore person within any activity. Most people are just gonna have fun playing as a sony character and thats enough to reel them in. Plus im sure the game will have alot of support.

Also who fucking cares about the no life bar system? Is it that hard to get supers for yourselves? LOL. Plus people keep complaining shits broken when its not..learn to adapt
You know how fun it would be if both Street Fighter and Tekken players could both play their favorite characters from their respected franchises in one game? What if they got eSports support from the start too? What could possibly go wrong?

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
You know how fun it would be if both Street Fighter and Tekken players could both play their favorite characters from their respected franchises in one game? What if they got eSports support from the start too? What could possibly go wrong?
The fact that game is trash and all stars isnt

Have to agree i puchased it and its a party game bro now as deep as smash n too much broken crap in it, dumb to have specials that are unavoidable 85 percent of the time

Smash and allstars are fighters but they are in a sub-category of mascot brawler.

Majority of fighting game fundamentals carry over and are vital to both games. Things like spacing, footsies, space control and etc are all very present in both games and play a big part. Anybody arguing otherwise is just straight up wrong.

Now that doesn't mean that Allstars and Smash aren't "party" games as well. They are clearly both. Games can have more than one category.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
You know what surprised me in battle royale is the fact that there 1 frame links in there.... Seriously!? I think that's taking it too far lol. I agree with the above post. Spacing, footsies are very much present in PASBR

Edit: I thought all stars was gonna be a mash attach button to oblivion, but it actually has strict timing

Justice

Noob
You know what surprised me in battle royale is the fact that there 1 frame links in there.... Seriously!? I think that's taking it too far lol. I agree with the above post. Spacing, footsies are very much present in PASBR

Edit: I thought all stars was gonna be a mash attach button to oblivion, but it actually has strict timing
I know what you mean. I've been working on a basic Sackboy BnB and it's hard to time. It's [] [] :u[] O. The grappling hook is so hard to connect and the Cake Toss is really hard. It's gotta be done just as you bump into them.

On a lighter note, I think this should be Tom Brady's fave game after I found a setup with Sackboy. Sit in a corner and :dO then O then spam Triangle all day. Definite shades of Sub Zero clone pressure :D

I know what you mean. I've been working on a basic Sackboy BnB and it's hard to time. It's [] [] :u[] O. The grappling hook is so hard to connect and the Cake Toss is really hard. It's gotta be done just as you bump into them.

On a lighter note, I think this should be Tom Brady's fave game after I found a setup with Sackboy. Sit in a corner and :dO then O then spam Triangle all day. Definite shades of Sub Zero clone pressure :D
it's funny, after playing fighting games i have to think hard to remember where O is on the controller even though i play on ps3. O is 4, right?

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!

Im not gonna lie I hate sackboy in this game. he is beyond annoying. I would rather play a FFA with radec against 3 kratos than face a sackboy. That corner setup you just described would have finally brought the salt out of me :D

Im currently working on drake. man this guy is a blast:D

Justice

Noob
it's funny, after playing fighting games i have to think hard to remember where O is on the controller even though i play on ps3. O is 4, right?
Yep. O is 4 in MK.
Im not gonna lie I hate sackboy in this game. he is beyond annoying. I would rather play a FFA with radec against 3 kratos than face a sackboy. That corner setup you just described would have finally brought the salt out of me :D

Im currently working on drake. man this guy is a blast:D
I hate that dood. And I feel ya on vs'ing Sackboy. I thought I was pretty good at this game until I hit one of the character challenges where I had to beat a mirror. Even on one star, Sackboy is an annoying little shit!

And just to add to the salt, at least until the first patch, you should see the massive meter gain from that setup too :D

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Yep. O is 4 in MK.

I hate that dood. And I feel ya on vs'ing Sackboy. I thought I was pretty good at this game until I hit one of the character challenges where I had to beat a mirror. Even on one star, Sackboy is an annoying little shit!

And just to add to the salt, at least until the first patch, you should see the massive meter gain from that setup too :D
So when do I get to go against that sackboy of yours? even though i'll probably regret it lol