What's new

Proof that Ash Williams was supposed to be in Kombat Pack 1

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Bruce Campbell probably went too far with his claims that he wasn't in the game, especially making the meme and everything. I say NRS was worried about backlash that "he lied" to their fans. So they decided to do Joker now and then they can play it off as "he was added later so he didn't lie about being in the game since it hadn't happened yet."

I know Carey did the same for Shang, but I think Bruce denied it much more heavily didn't he?

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Bruce Campbell probably went too far with his claims that he wasn't in the game, especially making the meme and everything. I say NRS was worried about backlash that "he lied" to their fans. So they decided to do Joker now and then they can play it off as "he was added later so he didn't lie about being in the game since it hadn't happened yet."

I know Carey did the same for Shang, but I think Bruce denied it much more heavily didn't he?
Yeah, I'm thinking there were scheduling conflicts and it's just weird since in an interview Bruce himself said that he was retiring Ash.

They added a chainsaw sound effect during the "and two others" was referring to Ash Williams, this and the "error" in the in-game message saying "Shang Tsung, Nightwolf, Terminator, Ash Williams, Sindel and Spawn" for some users. So they definitively rushed the inclusion of the Joker in it. Well at least it fits the game's philosophy, rushed trailer for a rushed game.

It is just that WB felt they would grab more cash now if they changed Ash for another guest since that everybody that wanted him already bought their shitty pass, so they added Joker at the last minute so more people would buy it.

So no it's not illegal because it wasn't officially revealed, they're just smart greedy assholes, that's it.

t3kwytch3r

Stone-Kold-Zoner
Nice vid @Vslayer, definitely more enjoyable and less bullshitty than any dynasty vid.

I really hope Ash makes it to KP2 at least. Been looking forward to it, the character would fit so well in the game and i just KNOW his dialogue would make me laugh. Bruce, if you're reading this, PLEASE DON'T RETIRE THE CHARACTER UNTIL HE'S IN MK, I BEG YOU!

trufenix

bye felicia
So, just to be clear, this super definitive statement from the actual licensor is bullshit, but a typo on a dlc pop up is "proof"? Just just so I know where we're at.

So, just to be clear, this super definitive statement from the actual licensor is bullshit, but a typo on a dlc pop up is "proof"? Just just so I know where we're at.

It's been a while since I've been out of school, but misspelling "Joker" as "Ash Williams" is one hell of a "typo"...

Also, here's an article about Bruce Campbell lying: https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/bruce-campbell-explains-why-he-told-so-many-fun-lies-about-evil-dead

Now, I'm not saying that Ash will be in KP2, or even in MK11 at all, as something may have happened, but I don't see how anyone could think that Ash being part of KP1 wasn't part of the plan at some point in time.

trufenix

bye felicia
It's been a while since I've been out of school, but misspelling "Joker" as "Ash Williams" is one hell of a "typo"...

Also, here's an article about Bruce Campbell lying: https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/bruce-campbell-explains-why-he-told-so-many-fun-lies-about-evil-dead

Now, I'm not saying that Ash will be in KP2, or even in MK11 at all, as something may have happened, but I don't see how anyone could think that Ash being part of KP1 wasn't part of the plan at some point in time.
I just wanted to actually verify you believe a graphic with a typo on it more than the actual guy who made the character saying the exact opposite repeatedly across multiple media.

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
What are you guys even arguing about? Ash was going to be in KP1. Something happened and now he's not and they're rushing Joker in his place. Obvious. The model isn't polished, and in the KP Lineup, he's in a completely different pose than ALL the rest of the DLC. On top of that, leaks and screenshots of the official promo saying "Ash Willams."

So what are we even arguing about? The only thing in contention, the ONLY thing, is if we get Ash in KP2 or if a severe falling out happened and we won't.

xKMMx

Banned
AS someone who has never seen anything having to do with Ash Williams I'm not all that heartbroken about any of this and wouldn't care if he never made it in and was actually shocked that they would be someone in that is more of a cult hero than a more well known pop culture character.
But if I was a fan of Ash I'd be super bummed that someone that is as much of a cult hero was going to be in such a big gaming franchise. Hopefully he shows up for all you guys.
I was praying for Michael Myers but the more I think about it he wouldn't make sense in a fighting game due to slow movement.

I've seen the exact same picture of a TV posted more than once in more than one location over the past day and a half, but the poster in each case assured everyone that they personally took the picture.

Really makes you think...
Can only speak for myself, but I did in fact take the picture that I posted in the OP. Had to reduce the size and I added the circle and arrow, because the original is like 3.85 MB and wouldn't upload. Actually PM'd VSlayer yesterday offering to send the original through email, after seeing her video.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
AS someone who has never seen anything having to do with Ash Williams I'm not all that heartbroken about any of this and wouldn't care if he never made it in and was actually shocked that they would be someone in that is more of a cult hero than a more well known pop culture character.
But if I was a fan of Ash I'd be super bummed that someone that is as much of a cult hero was going to be in such a big gaming franchise. Hopefully he shows up for all you guys.
I was praying for Michael Myers but the more I think about it he wouldn't make sense in a fighting game due to slow movement.
Campbell definitely made his name on how b-list he is. Ash is just a cheesy one liner idiot with a shotgun and a chainsaw hand. He drops through portals and uses the necronomicon (wrongly which could lead to unintended magic). He has the tools and potential to be great.

I love the movies personally. That time period is the golden age of horror for me. When he talks about retiring the character then what better way to immortalize young ash than in games like mortal kombat. The best parts of MK11 characters to me are the 90s throwbacks. That’s why cage and shao Kahn are such great characters. Umk3 Sonya skin changes her character to me. She looks like Sonya as I remember her.

TLDR As a fan I’m bummed. Hopefully they pushed him back because Arnold has a shotgun and it would be dumb to have both in the same pack. I would understand that.

I just wanted to actually verify you believe a graphic with a typo on it more than the actual guy who made the character saying the exact opposite repeatedly across multiple media.
He is clearly dancing around the topic in that video and never says he wouldn’t be in the game. It sounds like the actual issue might stem from the timing around this other mysterious game he keeps referencing. They don’t want Ash appearing in another game too close to that release. Whether that means WB said fuck it entirely is a separate discussion but Bruce is definitely lying in that video. There is no way NRS or WB were not deep in talks with Bruce and whoever owns the character when they released the chainsaw tease.

Campbell definitely made his name on how b-list he is. Ash is just a cheesy one liner idiot with a shotgun and a chainsaw hand. He drops through portals and uses the necronomicon (wrongly which could lead to unintended magic). He has the tools and potential to be great.

I love the movies personally. That time period is the golden age of horror for me. When he talks about retiring the character then what better way to immortalize young ash than in games like mortal kombat. The best parts of MK11 characters to me are the 90s throwbacks. That’s why cage and shao Kahn are such great characters. Umk3 Sonya skin changes her character to me. She looks like Sonya as I remember her.

TLDR As a fan I’m bummed. Hopefully they pushed him back because Arnold has a shotgun and it would be dumb to have both in the same pack. I would understand that.
Watch the video trufenix posted above. Bruce clearly states he is not retired from the character just playing the live action version. He says he “doesn’t want to crawl around in mud” anymore. Which makes sense. It is a physical role and he is old but it sounds like he definitely is up for appearing as Ash in other mediums.

RoninLoganX

The Masterless Sword
Not sure if anyone else brought this up, but perhaps another reason Ash might have been swapped is that WB might have thought that KP2 might having been lacking in the Star-Power that sells DLC. I mean, we've already seen a fair share of lukewarm receptions for the Joker, and I'm talking more about the fact that this will be the 3rd NRS appearance for him rather than his design. Then, there's Fujin and Sheeva. Personally, I think Fujin can be very interesting with a modern update to the character and I've always been a fan of Sheeva, but neither are characters who people seem to be going crazy for. Whereas Ash Williams has been a Guest Fighter requested by the fans since the first NRS made Mortal Kombat, if I'm recalling correctly.

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
This calls for a crispy conspiracy theory, What if the leak was deliberate by NRS to test waters? Taking notice about how ppl react to the leaked rooster and act accordingly with both Ash and the Joker ready to go, Wouldn't that be 900 IQ marketing? You know, Take no chances and give ppl what they'd like most?

The best parts of MK11 characters to me are the 90s throwbacks. ... Umk3 Sonya skin changes her character to me. She looks like Sonya as I remember her.
True, but after seeing her in game, it does look a little odd her walking into a fight with this gym outfit on. It doesn't really fit the rest of the aesthetic of the game and actually looks better with her military uniform/other skins.