What's new

General/Other - Hish-Qu-Ten Predator Hish-Qu-Ten Discussion Thread

I'm just saying that there is a *some* (not "certain") chance based on NRS actions thus far that fireball canceling is perhaps not how they intended certain characters be played. If a laser cancel nerf were to happen, all I said was, I wouldn't be surprised. I never even said I thought that it was going to happen. I think there's just as much of a chance that it *won't* get nerfed (i.e. Dragon's Fire Liu Kang still has his after several patches). You guys got way too defensive way too fast.

I just don't like the speed with which this thread devolved into a discussion over laser canceling in less than 24 hours since release when there's still so much more to be explored and discussed about the base character.
U mentioned Dragon fire lui kang and thats be best example he has no true 50/50 game same as predator they got mixups but no 50/50 braindead combo into vortex like Scorpion.
They implemented dash cancels, teleport cancels and fireball cancels on purpose ,They are not that stupid not to remember how kabals nomad dash cancel turned out. Predators unlike the other dash/run cancelers he isn'T + 10 or +20 after it he can only do it twice just like lui kang.

Yes I was trying out back 31 (close) low shot...... and back 311 (close) low shot and the computer couldn't even try to reversal.... Not even the start ups would come out! Like anything cut short into low close shot seems to be a true block string!!!
Set the AI to duck and block otherwise they wont reversal at all

Xx-TGODPRINCE-Xx

New Patch!!!
Canceling most strings into low close gun shot seems to be true block string and for sure cutting a 3 button combo short and doing low close gun shot seems to be as well! AI counldn't even start the animation for reversal

Xx-TGODPRINCE-Xx

New Patch!!!
Obviously those are first impressions. Played maybe 40 - 60 games.

Normal plasma is high, which is easily avoidable. Low plasma is kinda meh since you can just run throu and full combo punish whiff. Disk is ok but you won't win zoning wars with it also you can be hit out of it.

Don't get me wrong, Predator seems very strong overall. Damage is insane but if you're looking for pure zoning its not as good as Balanced Kenshi or Quan Chi. He's somewhat between zoning and rushdown. Got decent options for both but not amazing.
Reminds me of Ermac when you say he is a mixture of zoning and rush down! Just that happy medium! And that is the play style I have been drawn to in MKX....... Since I main Ermac, secondary Shinnok, now adding predator! They all seem to have the mixture going for them

Xx-TGODPRINCE-Xx

New Patch!!!
Did I not hear that less is more with this variation? I believe a few people were saying that you get more damage without the laser cancels in most situations...
You are correct! Almost any Predator full combo damage using at least a bar your gonna get upper 30's to 40% so it's your choice as a player i guess to find the highest damage and being comfortable! I did ZERO cancels..... Didn;t even know they existed last nyt lol and was getting major damage!

Yinze

"Tell me, do you bleed?...You will."
I'm finding the fbc extremely difficult, could someone break it down a little?

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I'm finding the fbc extremely difficult, could someone break it down a little?
You do a string then cancel into the laser, once you do that you hit forward twice really fast and then hit 212

One thing I noticed is that you have to wait until the string is almost ended until you hit the laser, I couldnt dial-a-combo with it but maybe that was just me. It will get easier the more you practice it, and it may not even be useful in high level play in the long run.

LOL i just did a fullscreen brutality with bf3 secret brutality? Cuz its not listed , maybe just alternativ or the orginal bf3 one.

less if definitely more in this variation. also i will automatically treat almost any combo vid that starts with jump-ins as just a combos vid and nothing useful in a game situation. :p its all well and good looking fancy but if the combo isnt viable in a game situation it may as well not exist imo.

Show me stuff that starts with b311 or 32 or b22 and im interested. But you can get similar results to these, a 41% combo from 1 bar mid screen with no cancels and no jump-ins and just as good corner carry.

Cudos for finding these though

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Can this variation use his plasma caster for good zoning harass? Considering he has so many good universal combos with good damge I want to try and use the caster for distance harass making my opponent struggle and then run in for combos.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Can this variation use his plasma caster for good zoning harass? Considering he has so many good universal combos with good damge I want to try and use the caster for distance harass making my opponent struggle and then run in for combos.
I was zoning a Jason player even without the cast move. I forgot he could aim and cancel shots. Right now I much prefer the quickness of the non aimed shots but I can see the cast one being used just to intimidate your opponent. Maybe make them jump then aim up?

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
I was zoning a Jason player even without the cast move. I forgot he could aim and cancel shots. Right now I much prefer the quickness of the non aimed shots but I can see the cast one being used just to intimidate your opponent. Maybe make them jump then aim up?
Something I'm messing around with is I'm using the string 212, njp, b22 then ex disc throw. Then while on the ground do ground shot and kinda keep them back with disc and caster pressure. It's the way to control the space before they get at you and if they can get in there and mess em up.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Something I'm messing around with is I'm using the string 212, njp, b22 then ex disc throw. Then while on the ground do ground shot and kinda keep them back with disc and caster pressure. It's the way to control the space before they get at you and if they can get in there and mess em up.
Try ending combos with f4. Maybe something like: 212, ji4xxSmart Disc, run, f4 (23%) There is a lot of knockdown advantage and you get to keep the bar.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Try ending combos with f4. Maybe something like: 212, ji4xxSmart Disc, run, f4 (23%) There is a lot of knockdown advantage and you get to keep the bar.
Oh no the EX smart disc don't combo. The move gives them a knock down and the pair of smart disc hover to stuff wake ups and also force my opponent to block. The far ground shot is to possibly 50/50 my opponent if they stand block the disc. If they crouch block then they take all three hits on block.

Also something else I've noticed. Once you shoot a plasma shot there's almost no recovery. At least I've been able to shoot the plasma cannon and hit my opponent while blocking their projectile. I can't check because my frame data is all to hell right now.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Oh no the EX smart disc don't combo. The move gives them a knock down and the pair of smart disc hover to stuff wake ups and also force my opponent to block. The far ground shot is to possibly 50/50 my opponent if they stand block the disc. If they crouch block then they take all three hits on block.

Also something else I've noticed. Once you shoot a plasma shot there's almost no recovery. At least I've been able to shoot the plasma cannon and hit my opponent while blocking their projectile. I can't check because my frame data is all to hell right now.
Yeah I was trying to do some plasma combos and it seemed like I can launch one a little bit after the first one hit. Might mean you can be a littl more liberal with your projectiles.

Anyone notice that if you do plasma caster and move the aim but don't let it fully go in one direction it doesn't hit. At least going from straight to down. I think it's probably because the laser doesn't have a hitbox until it hits the floor and the angle I'm aiming at goes way past full screen

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
So why does the db3 laser also have an aim point for up when the db3 f hits a full screen opponent anyway? It goes a little further but doesn't seem to have a point.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
So why does the db3 laser also have an aim point for up when the db3 f hits a full screen opponent anyway? It goes a little further but doesn't seem to have a point.
If Im understand the question right, db3 laser has three aim points because if the opponent runs db3f laser will whiff entirely. Think of it like Quan Chi's close, mid and far runes. You gotta aim it at where they're gonna be

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Finally took my Pred online. I had a few issues with doing a block string into low caster. I dont fucking know why, but OFTEN it did not come out and it was super annoying. Works 100% of the time in practice mode.

Zoning with HQT actually made a few people Quitality. I found that charging and aiming the move may be the best way to go because the plasma caster tracks pretty damn well. As they move close I would threaten with B22~D2 or Low caster. You can shoot them out of the sky and convert into a decent combo. Had a lot of fun with that.

Holy fuck Predator's mobility issues really shine through against human opponents. His back dash and wake ups are bottom 5.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Finally took my Pred online. I had a few issues with doing a block string into low caster. I dont fucking know why, but OFTEN it did not come out and it was super annoying. Works 100% of the time in practice mode.

Zoning with HQT actually made a few people Quitality. I found that charging and aiming the move may be the best way to go because the plasma caster tracks pretty damn well. As they move close I would threaten with B22~D2 or Low caster. You can shoot them out of the sky and convert into a decent combo. Had a lot of fun with that.

Holy fuck Predator's mobility issues really shine through against human opponents. His back dash and wake ups are bottom 5.
Some of his mobility is helped by EX SS. Armored leaping launcher. It's not perfect but it's better than nothing. Though it doesn't help a zoning strategy lol.